Bad Breath Is Destroying My Life. Please Help!

Posted , 53 users are following.

I been having bad breath since i  was a teenager, I am in my mid 40's now and still have the same problem. usually gum would do the job and no problem, but now gum is not working for me any longer and my breath doesn't only smell like bad breath, it now smells like a fart. it is getting stronger to the point that someone 10 feet away from me can now smell it and people start saying "yuck someone farted" not knowing who it is so I act stupid and pretend it wasnt me. everywhere I go now I keep my mouth closed cuz if very little tiny breath comes out it can cause a big smell. please help me anyone, please. it is very depressing and sad to have to feel this way and having to stay away from people makes me feel lonely. i tried Dr Kats gargles which is considered the only cure for bad breath but even that didn't work for me. I am not a smoker, but the only time my mouth dont smell bad is when i smoke because it will smell like tobacco but i dont want my breath to smell like that cuz it is a nasty smell for me and for others. I been told that getting rid of my natural teeth and getting fake teeth or teeth implant can help but i cannot affor that. please help me, please! sad

3 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have read many of the posts here and I have very similar problems...has anyone discovered a new method or practice that helps?...this isolation is horrible 
  • Posted

Man this bad breath sucks. Honestly, I've had bad breath my whole life, and i feel like not being on earth anymore. I brush my teeth 3 times, I floss, and tongue scrape, but still my breath smells bad. I'm cutting out all different kinds of food, and still not getting anywhere. Also I have tried so many different oral products, and nothing has worked for me. Right now, I'm just facing Anxiety and Depression from this, and my psychiatrist has put me on meds, but it doesn't help with the problem. Both of my parents have bad breath too, so it's like whatever the issue is I want to figure it out, so that I can help myself, but also help my parents even though I don't really get along with them. I'm starting to go to the doctor and dentist more to nip this in the bud, before I never go anywhere, and just stay home bound forever.

• Posted

Try magnesium in powder !!! I use Magnesol you can find it on Amazon. the flavor is not the best but mix it w Oraje Juice. PLEASE read about what magnesium can do for you and no side effects. I am started taking this products already 3 weeks and halitosis is 80% better. I will start taking it twice a day. I also changed my diet to more greens and fruits . I still eat meat but just 3 times a week. I also eat almonds carrots and celery as snack.  In my situation I coudnt beleive it was my reflux . All this acid in the back of my throat. Magnesium is helping me so much!!!

Please let t me know how it went .  

But I suggest you do your research first as I did and still doing it. 

Never give up !!! and try it .. you will see a HUGE difference.

• Posted

I have the exact same thing and I was crying reading the other posts because I though I was the only one.  We all have TONSIL STONES, just do a simple google search there is a great video on Youtube.that explains what they are and how to get rid of them. I couldn’t believe it when my husband showed to me, so immediately we took a look to see if I had them and low and behold there it was.  I was excited and also a little mad and grossed out all at the same time it was like finding there was some small creature in your body like a tick, or tape worm except this was in my mouth and I wanted it OUT. I was also excited finally something to explain WHY. Why what I can only explain as Dragon Breath has tormented and embarrass me, for the last 40 some years. (mine to, now smells like someone passed gas when it is at its worse)

• Posted

This is what has helped me: (I had this problem for 4 years and I felt so miserable. So far I have better breath and I hope this helps you guys improve your oral health) 

1st. Place some toothpaste (something gel-like or minty) on your tongue and use a tongue brush to scrub the tongue clean. Try to go far back bc that’s where the horrible bacteria lives happily. 

2nd. DIP YOUR TONGUE BRUSH IN MOUTHWASH and scrub your tongue with mouthwash. This really helps

3rd place some mouthwash in your mouth and use your tongue to push/rub your UPPER PALATE with mouthwash. Rub your LOWER PALATE (space under your tongue) with mouthwash still in. 

Then I floss. Then brush using ELECTRONIC toothbrush. Seriously. Invest 25$ it’s on amazon “Phillips sonicare” electronic toothbrush. Huge difference. Also brush the sides of your mouth and your gums. 

What really helps me is getting the mouthwash in the tonsil area and cleaning the upper palate (far back area) with mouthwash. If you want you can swish with salt+ water after your first meal! 

I know how terrible it feels when you tried everything.. brushing flossing chewing gums mints etc.... but don’t give up. The stinky bacteria likes to create a film and lives in a film which simple rinsing/brushing doesn’t get rid of! You have to physically remove the films... if that makes sense... Wipe your gums with your finger and you’ll feel all the slimy films of bacteria. Try to get your tongue brush into mouthwash and clean the back of your tongue. And ESPECIALLY put effort in cleaning your upper AND lower palates. I used to ignore these two spots in my mouth. (I’m not sure why....) honestly I’m so tired. It’s been 4 years and I don’t have confidence to be super up close to someone but I definitely seen results after trying out these few steps...  try it and don’t give up....

• Posted

Hello Jesse,

I too used to suffer from terrible bad breath and lived with it for about 20 years. Then I came across a message board post somewhere online which was about 30 pages long and had a lot of useful suggestions from fellow internet users who had experience dealing with it, unfortunately I couldn't find that post , but let me tell you what CURED my Halitosis. Yes, it was mentioned in that post online and this is my way of giving thanks to that community who helped me.

What cured my bad breath issue was doing a LIVER FLUSH. Yes, it was that simple. Please look it up online. Basically it involves something like drinking only apple juice for 2 days and a couple of apples, then drinking some epsom salt+ Olive oil mixture, look it up further for more details.  It turned out that what had caused my bad breath issues was a bout of jaundice+typhoid when I was a school kid, and though a couple of doctors and dentists I consulted couldn't help me, the folks on the internet did by posting what had helped them get past this issue.

That's all. Good luck Jesse and others , it is definitely worth a try !

• Posted

I had the same problem for 19 years. i am 42YO now and recently i have found the answer - my root canal was the culprit. i had a leakage on my crown tooth and it lead to food & liquid sneak into my gum line.. The pus and abscesses developed and the gas leak into my mouth (my breath as stink as poop, people who stands 2 metres away can smell my breath)! in short, please get a dentist to look into your root canal. Good luck!

• Posted

Could you possibly have tonsils stones? I do occasionally and have to remove. Google it. 😉

• Posted

hi.

I'm in the same boat. I have suffered my bad breath since my early teens....I'm not 32. I've tried everything...most recently using a syringe to flush my tonsils with salt water. I dont see tonsil stones but a gp or dentist once told me I have deep set tonsils others have since told me I dont?!?!

I feel really let down my doctor to the point where I have almost given up. I've moved alot over the years so struggled to keep the same doctor but the one in the town where I have settled is useless.

my breath has a foul faecal odour. some mouth washes have helped...CB12 was a godsend for about 3 months then stopped working. I wonder if bacteria in my mouth have become resistant to it?

any advice or suggestions are always welcome as this has ruined my life ( sounds drastic I know) I suffer with anxiety and depression because of it. I have no friends except my sisters now because I've avoided all social situations I'm invited too. I do have a boyfriend of 8 years who i believe is very kind and puts up with it without causing me any embarrassment but strangers usually gasp for breath or hold their nose around me.

I'm considering telling a doctor to just take my tonsils out or do an endoscopy to see if I have tonsil stones in my throat.

list of things I've tried

treatment for oral thrush

tested negative for h pylori

bloods negative (vit d deficiant)

antibiotics for GERD

chlorophyll

hydrogen peroxide and baking powder rinse

brushing and flossing every day and tongue scraping

stomach mints that you swallow and the release fresh odour in your stomach

drinking water constantly

the lost goes on.

help!?!?

• Posted

ok. i had bad breath since teenage years ( im now mid 40s). i tried everything, mouthwash, tongue scraper, gum, flossing....nothing worjed.

then went to see a kinesiologist, he prescribed loads of pro biotics for two weeks and no sugar for two weeks. that was two years ago, ive never had a problem since, no dry mouth, no burning lips, no nasty taste and no smell and i have my confidence back.

please consult a kinesiologist , most bad breath has nothing to do with ur mouth, more the gut!!!

• Posted

i had this problem for many years. i cured my breath issue. it was nothing to do with my oral hygene.

i took three tablets of pinworm treatment.

Mebendazole

google medical research of this and cure for bad breath.

you can buy this over the counter with no prescription needed.

i suggest you try this even if you dont have worms.

three tablets over three days.

please let me know if this helps

• Posted

to stop bad breath .you have cure digest systom like many patients from my country .you lL normal

• Posted

hi Jesse,

i am having the same issue for 4 years now.. my self esteem is as low as it can be.. i have tried raw tumeric, probiotics,digestive enzymes but none of those works.

how are you doing now? is the bad breath still bother you?

• Posted

Hi

I have bad breath for a few decades now, tried probiotics, digestive enzymes, antibiotics (H pilori) and a few other things. I'm convinced it starts at the gut and gets worse in the throat and mouth due to phlegm.

I drink 500ml of Kefir in the morning and then I do a sinus rinse. With the sinus rinse I tilt my head backwards and half fill my nostrils with a luke warm saline solution and let it soak for 10 secs. Then I suck the saline solution hard into my mouth (to loosen the phlegm in the nasal passage) wash it around the mouth (to loosen the phlegm on the tongue) and then spit out.

This reduces the severity of my bad breath. The sinus rinse I do four times a day.

I also make sure I have regular meals.

I have also been reading up on SIBO and a antibiotic (Rifaximin)that is very effective, when I can I'll give it a try.

• Posted

I also use a mild laxative daily to ensure my Colon gets rid of what it needs to get rid of as soon as possible.

I have read up on ileocecal valve syndrome. Must still do a lot more reading on that.

If anyone has any information, please share.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.