Bad Breath/reflux? pnd? infection? Something else?

Posted , 129 users are following.

Hi,

I wasn't sure where to put this duscussion.

I've had bad breath (especially horrendous morning breath) for as long as I can remember. Probably for a good 10 years or so? (I'm 29)

I've also experience what I think is possible post nasal drip (tongue is always coated. Often feel mucus on back of throat and need to clear my thoat)

and some sort of acid reflux in my throat (occasional burning sensation below my adams apple)

Both the possible PND and reflux seemed to come on after already having bad breath for a numbe of years though, so i'm not sure if they're even related? The reflux feeling is fairly infrequent.

I also occasionally get tonsil stones.

I have good oral health. Brush twice per day, floss, moutwash. Dentist confirmed gums are healthy.

Yet I can taste bad breath coming on again shortly after my morning routine.

NOW, I recently took metronidazole for something completely unrelated, and to my utter amazement, my breath became as fresh as a babies! Reflief after a decade! Even my morning breath smelt of nothing.

I was so happy until I read online that other people had experienced this phenomenen, but that the bad breath returns when you stop taking the antibiotic.

I stopped taking it 4 days ago, and I think that my breath may finally be reverting back sad This morning wasn't quite as fresh as yesterdays. I'm depressed now that my bad breath is likely to return in full force within a few days.

I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light?

Anyone been in the same boat and found a cure?

Can any knowledge be gained from the fact that the antibiotic temporaily cured me or not?

6 likes, 500 replies

500 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Mike666, I have pretty much the same problems as you, bad breath for about 10 years now (i'm 24), coated tongue, acid reflux, and feel like i'm going round in circles the whole time trying to get to the bottom of it. I used to have tonsil stones too but had my tonsils taken out shortly after discovering this and it made absolutely no difference to my breath. Also interestingly the antibiotics i was on after he operation made absolutely no difference. I've also tried a couple of other antibiotics over the years, including rifaximin for SIBO none of which made any difference. I also tried fluconazole for candida but again no difference. I haven't tried metronidazole but i'm now considering it just out of curiosity more than anything! i've also tried the whole range of diets - anti-candida, raw vegan, paleo etc etc which have all helped me with other areas of health - my skin now glows and my digestion is much better but absolutely no impact on my breath. Puzzling! The only time something worked was when I randomly decided to do a water fast for a few days and on the fourth day my breath tasted completely clean and lovely, but as soon as I started eating again it came back straight away, which makes me think it is some sort of bacteria...

Anyway i'm thinking i'm going to bite the bullet and get a stool test that tests for over 40 bacteria and parasites etc (costs over £400 gulp!) and see what it comes up with because i feel like i'm stabbing around in the dark at the moment. Also I realised the other day that last year I spent over £500 getting my macbook pro fixed so I think its only fair that I spend the same amount on giving my body a chance!

keep plodding away my dear and we'll get there eventually! p.s. hope the car journey goes ok, I had a six hour car journey down to cornwall in the summer and I got through it by munchig celery and grapes the whole time haha :-)

• Posted

i have the same issue like you kristy,and going on the same test.planning for stool test,breath test or endoscopy with biopsy.but i am negative in hpylori but those are the other test to check if its really a bacteria that causes bad breath..and also am experiencing nasal bad breath which is awful. sad i hope we can identify the real cause of this..please update me if you get better or cure.
    • Posted

I mentioned a few posts back that i've been somewhat cured for a good few months now.

Not completely, but I'd say about 60% better?

I ended up taking a second course of metronidazole (I think I mentioned that I read about someone else who took a second course after their bad breath reverted back after teh first course and were cured.) It appears to have helped a lot. (though not 'cured')

However, there appears to be a million different causes that all give similar symptoms, so I have no idea whether it would help anyone else.

So, not cured. Still bad morning breath.

I guess most people get bad morniing breath? (although I do know some people who wake up with baby fresh breath after a 10 hour sleep!! amazing)

But throughout the day it is definitely somewhat better. I noticed the improvement also, because I can now run my tounge along the roof of my mouth without getting a bad tasting/salty flavour.

metronidazole is pretty tough to get. Dr's will be very unlikely to prescibe it, and it costs a fortune to buy it online (+ ridiculous shipping charges!)

• Posted

Mike

Is your saliva thick and stringy. Eyes dry and maybe a pain in your neck with tight shoulders.  I am under Doctors care with the same symptoms as you. Taking metro 3 times a day again.  Smell goes away within a day or two.  I am afraid when I go off the antibiotics, the smell will return.  I was on antibiotic/meropenum IV for 28 days.  Smell returned when I got off the antibiotic.  I am seeing an infectious disease Doctor. He is pulling his hair out with this problem. He believes it is an anaerobic infection.  I had sinus surgery but the problem returned. We think the problem comes from my sinuses, drips down the throat, anaerobes mixes with other fluids and then the putrid smell is created in the throat.  I can take a drop or 2 of oil of oregano under the tongue and flush with water and my breath is fine again for a short time until this process builds back up in my throat. My Doctor said anaerobes can be hard to kill. A study in Denmark has Doctors treating back pain for anaerobic infection with 2 different antibiotics for 90 days.  These Doctors claim these anaerobes can come from the gums or other areas in the body and move to the discs in the back. With my problem, my wife also has the same symptoms.  I believe my problem is passed from person to person. We have been scoped and scanned and blood tested by many doctors and I think my Doctor is close to finding an answer. Some bacteria is getting resistant to antibiotics and harder to treat. I dont have any answers, just wanted to share my problem with you.  Maybe this can help somehow.  Keep your head up.  This can be tough on a person living with these symptoms. I know.....

• Posted

Rub your gums around every tooth and smell. No smell then buy a dental probe and probe under the gumline on every tooth searching for cavities. No cavities then clean your LINGUAL TONSILS and use a sinus rinse with grapefruit seed extract added. BAD BREATH GONE
    • Posted

Been suffering too long like everyone else. Took rifimaxin for sibo which helped cure a little but symptoms did come back. Spoke to my gastro about my entire situation on the bb. He prescribed me metro after I asked. So far I feel fresher than before but not sure how long it will last. Its only been three days but I'll keep you posted. I really hate this bb with passion. Hopefully this helps
    • Posted

Hi Larry54576,

Please keep us updated on your progress; I've heard similar statements about back issues being related to breath smells.

I have the same symptoms and its been very embarrassing & extremely stressful ...stay strong, I wish you the best.

• Posted

Much appreciate the input.  I'll approach my GP as I have had gastro issues (significan Hiatus hernia) which may/may not be related the cause.  I think I'll be looking to do as Mike did i.e. 2 courses of Metro.. followed by major boos of the good bactiria... Please keep us posted on your outcome.
    • Posted

Hi, did the metro help? No matter how late you see this, please I would really be grateful for a reply!
    • Posted

Hi larry, have you managed to cure this issue? Please no matter how late you might see this I would really appreciate a reply. Im so depressed over this condition and am having suicide thoughts although I try to be strong. But I can't live my life and have been a recluse.

• Posted

Hi Greentea

I replied a few days ago, but I made the mistake of attaching a link and it was deleted because that is not allowed.  I have not followed your postings. Are you flushing your sinuses?

• Posted

Hi all

I too have been suffering with this for more than a decade. Coated tongue, tonsololiths, really bad breath constantly and my sneezes stink to high heaven. I went the doctors a couple of years ago and they told me to ask the dentist first. Dentist said my teeth weren't the problem and I haven't been back doctors as what I had read on the internet it didn't seem worth it.

I think I'll bite the bullet and make an appointment, see what comes of it. A lot of what people are saying on here makes sense and I've had a go at oil pulling etc on occasions with no affect. I have just ordered an irrigator though so will make more of an effort with that. Mouthwashes don't help but I will get some alcohol free stuff and brush my tongue with it.

The biggest thing for me though is I am definitely going to cut back on the dairy products, I have always noticed an increase in stones after eating cheese and had an idea that dairy products may have something to do with it. I eat cereal every morning with milk but will substitute this for soya and see how it goes.

I'll let you know what the doctors say when I've been. I have always suffered with one of my nostrils being blocked / synus problems, maybe that's connected.

Good luck to you all with your problems.

• Posted

The lingual tonsils get coated more when eating Dairy. More bacteria is attracted. I have found that if I keep my Lingual Tonsils clean I can eat as much Dairy as I want but just have to spend an extra minute cleaning them. Trust me if you have a bad taste at the back of your throat it will be them little buggers
  • Posted

Mike, I'm glad I saw this. My husband had this problem. You have H. Pylori. Look it up. You need the combo of antibiotics and has to be for a long period of time. Maybe 3 months for it to be permanent relief. Flagyl is the BEST. In addition, you are probably reinfecting yourself by kissing others with H Pylori that are carriers and not affected by it. DO NOT KISS or share saliva with anyone. That's how it's spread. Probiotics do NOTHING for H Pylori but its good for other things. He went on Flagyl with Biaxin or tetracyclin 2 to 3 weeks or 3 months, however you want to do it. IT WORKS
    • Posted

Lisa I pray this works... Ill try anything at this point. I'm 46 and there has been no rest for the weary!!!! I've readevery comment but this one seems to speak volumes to me. I am everyperson on this thread and all I want to do is live free from this leprosy that has had me bound... The emotional stress has me at deaths door.... Physically!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.