bad chest for 5 weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

i started on easter sunday with a chest infection was prescribed antibiotics and steroids returned to hospital 5 days later due to getting worse was diagnosed with pneumonia prescribed different antibiotics was very ill at home in bed for over a week returned to doctors not getting any better after 4 weeks was prescribed antibiotics again and steroids also suggested may be COPD so treating for that with 2 inhalers this was last thurs 11th may still very wheezy short of breath cant walk far only a few steps im getting scared now surely i should be picking up now any ideas please x

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have had a spirometer test and been told the good news i have not got COPD it is purely and simply the after effects of pneumonia was told small steps and can take up to 6 month to get back to normal my ankles are still swollen but they didnt even look at them just smiled and said you will get back to full health in time x
    • Posted

Hiya  Helen,  you must  be so pleased  with  your  results.   thats  really  good  news  for  you.     try to  take  it  easy,  and  i hope   the  ankles  soon  go down.    love  and  very  best wishes   julie   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    • Posted

Hi that's great but i was told they can't tell if you have COPD by spirometer test ? the nurse told me they would not know i had emphysema because i passed the spirometer test 

• Posted

hi  i  was  diagnosed  with  copd   after  having  the  spiro   test.   
    • Posted

Oh not sure then my nurse said if we never knew you had emphysema we would not know by the result from a spirometer test
    • Posted

hiya  John   ive  looked  on  google   and  it  does  mention   that   a  chest  x  ray  would  indicate   emphysema.      take  care  julie   xxxxxxxxxx
    • Posted

Yes chest x-ray does but only when it's bad does not show if mild.

• Posted

hi  John  i  didnt  know  that,   we  are  learning things   all the  time.   it  would  be nice  if  docs  just  explained  things  fully  so  we  could  understand.     julie  x
    • Posted

That's the biggest problem doctors don't tell us hardly anything. But i have had a chest x-ray every year for 5 years and none of them found my emphysema changes only a ct scan did. So i asked about it and they told me that an x-ray does not pickup early stages of emphysema not sure why.

• Posted

hiya  john,  thats  good  that  you have  a yearly  x  ray,  at  least  they  are keeping  an  eye  on you.   take   care   hope you have  a nice  weekend   x
    • Posted

I agree John i had an x-ray when i had pneumonia and the doctors just said to me the xray was fine so i was confused in one hand told have pneumonia in the other the xray is fine. The nurse was very shocked when had spiro test has was having 2 inhalers regular and she said i did not need them at all i am still breathless i seem to take very short rapid breathes but the doctors have said i am fine just take it slowly and rest stillstory of my life the more i rest the more the ankles and legs swell the more i do walking etc the more breathless and tired i am x
    • Posted

I don't take much notice of doctors anymore most of them just guess what's wrong. I have had 3 cancer scares in 3 years last one few weeks ago, doctor told me my prostate sulcus was not there and uneven sent me to hospital and they said it's all fine ? Next time my doctor calls i am going to fall out with him and find a new doctor.

• Posted

after having pneumonia 2 month ago and still slowly recovering i have lost all faith in the doctors at my surgery i started with swollen ankles and legs over 3 weeks ago not once has a doctor looked at them just told me to elevate i dont go back to the doctors until 6th July and was told to keep a diary of symptoms and what i actually do on these days. i have and i have done relativly nothing as when i do my legs and ankles feel like they will split i measure them in a morning and 4 times through the day today so far my ankles calfs and thighs are 2 and half inches bigger than this morning i have had them elevated all day and i am so uncomfortable. i am starting to get worried thogh now as my employer may not continue to be so lenient i am only doing 2 nights a week instead of 4 i cant do any more as im shattered with 2 x

• Posted

I agree doctors are rubbish, 2 years ago had me wait 3 months to see if i had cancer of the liver, then the next year back and to again for months told i have COPD then last month back again at hospital for my prostate and now got to go again for my tongue because they think that could be something ? if they don't kill me with worry first that is. plus all my wifes problems and some days feel like giving in and starting smoking and sit here and do nothing. But we must all do our best and not listen to everything they tell us because most times they have us taking tablets and tests that we don't need, so i only take any meds i want and listen to myself not just there advice.

• Posted

I have been to my appointment at the doctors worse than ever now my blood pressure is up wheezing breathless legs feet and hands swollen he seems to think it is heart problems now so is speaking to cardiologists and his colleagues to see what to do next and going to phone me in the morning with a plan we will see i think some of it is allergies the breathing that is x

• Posted

WOW can't they pull there finger out and get you in hospital to get sorted ? perhaps it's not your lungs. I really hope you get sorted soon.

I am sorry your having these problems and they seem to be taking there time.

• Posted

i had a phone call from the doctors this morning they do think it is my heart and have referred me to a cardiologist for a heart scan in the mean time take things easy if i get worse go straight to doctors which i will x

• Posted

Yes make sure you go straight back if it changes x

I had my bloods back and my liver is high the alkaline phosphatase is 141 something else i have sick of problems it's something new every week

• Posted

oh dear John bless you i feel like at minute one thing after the other im only 53 and feel 90 im shattered all time shuffle when i walk sound like a traction enging and was fit as a fiddle until April walked miles etc x
    • Posted

I have been back to doctors today on water tablets antibiotics for chest and 2 inhalers told to take it easy until i have the heart scan see what comes from that hopefully will start to recover now x
    • Posted

Hi sounds like it's going in the right direction the waiting for them to do anything is a pain, i had my scan today just got to wait now for results and see the doctor. But i am fedup of going now it's been over 12 months and nothing as been sorted yet.

Really hope you start to feel better soon x

• Posted

Got results from blood test it shows raised Thyroid so i have an appointment for tomorrow morning see what happens from there x

• Posted

My wife had a bad Thyroid she put loads of weight on took ages for them to know what it was, they kept telling her to eat less food thought she was greedy.
    • Posted

The doctor said i have underactive thyroid and to have a repeat blood test in 2 months time i am still no further forward tho feel so tired cant walk far without resting still have water retention i am getting very low at the minute i did ask the doctor if my appointment to see the heart consultant can be rushed a bit he said no and just smiled when i said i am getting depressed with being ill since beginning of April i feel like im slipping backwards instead of moving forward x
    • Posted

So sorry some doctors are really useless, i get fedup of some doctrs at my surgery.

My wife has an underactive thyroid plus other probems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.