Balance problems, HELP!!

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi girls I've been posting on here for a while and last week have raised some issues regarding my balance and the lack of knowledge and understanding from any dr I've seen.

Long story short, went to dr last Thursday, he always maintains that my dizziness/off balance problem is due to anxiety. I told the dr I have been speaking to others on this forum who have similar symptoms and problems with their balance and it has to be recognised as part of meno

After a good chat with the GP, he read through my blood tests which were done in July this year, he said that my estrogen was so low that he would consider me now menopausal, estrogen was less than 70 (what ever that means) fsh 76.

Anyway, he said that the menopause sometimes causes some woman to develope benign positional vertigo and that it should settle with time. He said normally by the age of 55 things would be better....I'm only 51, will be 52 in Feb 🙉🙈 don't think I could suffer this for a long period

Dr had taken more bloods as I asked for progesterone to be checked as well as estrogen

I've made another appointment to discuss the results but another dr told me briefly over the phone that the estrogen and progesterone have both came back low even though I've been taking livial HRT for 3 months

I went on the internet last night browsing looking at hormone levels and was redirected to another website as I typed in dizziness and OMG I've been in such a state since

I'm wondering if any of you ladies can help if you Google MdDS, it's a balance condition and please tell me that my balance problems will be hormone related

I'm staggering around today balance terrible and feel woozy just unbalanced

I'd be grateful for any help or reassurance

Thanks xx

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi brendababy,I have un compensated Labythrinitis,I'm 46 and in peri menopause,I can suffer a lot from vertigo because of my condition,but in the last year or so the dizziness has been very different,I often feel like I. Going to faint,falling forward I seem to constantly feel lightheaded.I spoke to my doctor and she said it's very common for women to feel dizzy/lightheaded during peri,she had an auntie who suffered from it.Try not to google about random conditions,it just kicks off the anxiety.Your results are saying that your in peri/ meno,so chances are more likely your dizziness is meno related.It is a bit of a scary time and our bodies are going through a massive change,some people are lucky and through this change and not experience one bad thing,unfortunately there's a lot of ladies like us who seem to have a hard time.I hope you are feeling are little less anxious now x
    • Posted

Hi fudgeybear, thanks for trying to put my mind at rest, I just get so scared that I'm going to be left like this I just feel I couldn't cope with it

Apart from the dizzy lightheaded sensation do you feel like your staggering, sort of drunk sensation, it's hard to express, but I feel like I can't walk properly, like my legs are affected

Add all the anxiety, low mood, weird shaky sensation to this and life can just seem unbearable

I also struggle to wash my hair because it makes things worse moving my head around shampooing & rinsing. Does this make sense?

Take care

Brenda x

• Edited

It makes perfect sense brendababy,i have to wait for a good momment to shower and wash my hair,I can't go out on my own to walk my dog,because I feel so unsafe.my legs have a mind of their own yes sometimes they kind of lock,I think some of the symptoms are due to the high anxiety we are feeling,because I notice when I feel calmer some of the symptoms dissapear.i m a walking jibbering wreck,I'm only 46 and when I get scared I try and remind myself it will go away one day when my hormones settle.xxx
    • Edited

I'm having a really bad day today, I'm always off balance cleansing my face getting ready etc but keep going

Today I've broken down felt sick n dizzy while I was getting ready, became hysterical been crying sitting in bed for about an hour, just feel today I can't go on

I've developed a fear of this symptom which will be making everything worse. Just feel so out if control, feel everyone around me is getting on with their life and I'm just sitting here

Just don't know what to do today, I'm not getting periods anymore but I've had that crampy full feeling in my stomach the last few days hormones must be all over the place

I just feel like a weak person and that others can cope better

Just don't know what to do xx

• Posted

Hang in there Brenda. Try to think positive thoughts today, and enjoy your Thanksgiving. Sometimes taking your mind off the bad and keeping yourself busy helps. I got a lot to do yet today to make our Thanksgiving dinner perfect so I'm focusing on that today to get me through the day.
    • Posted

Thanks didi for taking time out when your so busy

I live in the uk so forgot about thanksgiving

Have a great day!!

Xx

Brenda

• Posted

I'm sorry you re having a bad day, are you feeling any better? You re not weak,just sensitive to all the changes happening to your body.It is scary to feel so off balance,it's caused me to have terrible anxiety.Try to tell yourself it's your hormones ,some nice deep breathes help.Have you tried magniesium spray,or soaking your feet in Epsom salts or magniesium flakes? It's been helping me to calm down.If you do try it,make sure you eat something with calcium in at some point in the day,it works along side the magnesium.xx
    • Posted

Hi fudgeybear, thanks for thinking about me it really is comforting knowing someone suffering similar symptoms is out there propping you up when you need it

I've had a terrible day!! Went in the car with my husband to the supermarket trying to prove to myself i can do it, only lasted 10 mins then had to go back to the car

Dizzy and off balance is totally dominating my thoughts all the time I'm so scared I think it's the fear of not being in control

I feel myself tensing, I'm sitting watching football but can't enjoy it because I'm worried about all this, even sit and hold the toilet in 😳 So I don't need to get up

I really need to work on losing the fear of this, I just feel dread and helplessness it's horrible

How's your day gone?

I hope you've had a good day !!

Thanks and take care xx

Brenda

• Posted

Hi ,

i know this post is old now but i'm hoping you will see it

I am post Menopuase (3 years) and relate to everything you have written.

Did things improve for you at all ?

I have had this awful dizzy/ falling feeling for 2 weeks now. I have had it before but not for this long

Deb x

• Posted

Hi Brenda,  yes I am 50 full throws of peri protracted times between periods, aching joints, mood swings, hot flash (rather than a flush) insomnia,and crushing anxiety.   And the off balance feeling which I will leave on a separate list until I am certain it's down to hormones and not a dodgy neck or ear injury sustained from the whiplash.   So yes with you on all of those things.    
    • Posted

Hi gookygal, sounds like you have similar symptoms to me and other woman on here. It's a nightmare!!

I feel so sad and angry at my life being like this. I hear my sons going out the door going to college and uni and it makes me feel so alone and isolated

I hope the balance problem settles soon because it's this that's stopping me from living my life

Keep in touch and let me know how your getting on

Brenda X

• Posted

Hi brendabby

I don't know what to do i tried my provera to help me sleep with my ativan but i did not sleep to well, I don't know how to take it the provera and estradiol. 

I just need a good nights sleep with out these nose bleeds, and feeling sick 

How do i take these HRTs so i don't get sick. I am scared of taking them but i do not want to take seroquil either what can i do any advice would be appreciated on how to take the estradiol and proveracrycry

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth I've been on a few different HRTs the longest was for two weeks, these HRTs caused me to suffer from severe side effects like heavy bleeding and migraine so decided to stop. The HRTs were 1st one prem pack c 2nd elleste duet then 3rd femoston

My symptoms became unbearable I was crying hysterically, terrible anxiety, insomnia dizziness/balance problems

My GP decided to try me on livial which is a fiorm of HRT, a steroid which the body breaks down in to estrogen, progesterone and testosterone

Your not supposed to be given it until you've went at least a year without a natural period, I think my last natural period was in January this year. My GP decided to give me it because my blood test showed that my estrogen level was very low making me menopausal

Long story short, I've been on the livial since July this year, don't feel any better had more bloods done last week and I'm going to discuss the results with my GP on Wednesday, however, another GP told me over the phone that my estrogen and progesterone have came back very low so I don't think my HRTs working

The only advice I can offer you is to ask your doctor for diazepam, this will help to relax you and help you sleep. I was taking lorazepam which I think is similar to Ativan, but I was scared of getting addicted but I do think they worked better

If you've been reading my posts you'll know I'm not coping to well at the moment with symptoms, I just want my life back like all the other ladies

All I can offer you Elizabeth is support and to tell you don't suffer in silence

I'm always on here and just give us a shout if you need any help

I'll let you know how I get on with my GP appointment

Hugs

Brenda xx

• Posted

Thank you for your advice and yes it is lorazapam i am on real name is ativan. 

I took my progesterone pill last night had a terrible time sleeping. 

I don't think i want HRT so i am not going to take it tonight with my nose bleeds already why add add more to it. 

I am just going to do some relaxation and pick up the vitamin for menopause its called One A Day for menopause and just do it natural. With having diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, heart rate high at times low thyroid its best that i stay away from HRTs i am not going to do the seroquil either that is an atiphsycotic medication and i don't need that either. 

Hope you feel better

• Posted

I think some times meds make things worse, I'm very sensitive to side effects. It is really trial and error with HRT it does work for some ladies but can be a nightmare for others

I hope you get some relief Elizabeth and remember I'm always here

Take care, hugs X

Brenda

• Posted

Yes my body is sensitive to a lot of meds myself. Thank you and i pray that you get some relief yourself 

Take care to you too, hugs X 

Elizabeth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.