Ban Mirtazapine? Thoughts?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Having been on Mirtazapine for 12 months - and having read extensively about the drug and it’s effects both going on it - being on it and withdrawing from it - does anyone else agree it simply shouldn’t be prescribed? 

I’ve read the posts on the forums here too and we all seem to have such an awful time with it. 

I’ve just reduced from 30mg to 15mg my GP advised cold turkey ! “Sure you’ll feel truly awful - but get it over and done with “ 🤨

Just thinking out loud .... 

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It's criminal that there is no support network for all patients attempting to taper and stop this drug.  An ex heroin addict confessed that it was easier to withdraw from heroin than it was to withdraw from mirtazapine and he had gone through both experiences 

• Posted

Heroin is really not that bad to come off if you taper. 2 to 4 weeks it can be rough. Taper can be quite fast.

AD s are much worse.

• Posted

Really? I didn’t know that either ! Learning so much from this forum!
    • Posted

Yep. I have detoxed from heroin toi many times. Not nicebut not that bad. It is pretty predictable and short compared to AD withdrawals. Benzos are the worst of all
    • Posted

Hi ninanatu

Do you know I did the same thing.  I used to smoke 20 a day.  I stopped without any help.  It wasn't easy  but the withdrawals from this evil drug lasted longer and were far worse.  

• Posted

I felt better cold turkey than actually on the tablets
    • Posted

That’s interesting Dawn .. I missed one day last week - had the clearest head the following day I’ve had in years!  Everyone was commenting .. took the next tablet as usual .. lethargy returns - vivid dreams ... and so on 
    • Posted

When I dropped from 15 to 7.5 I felt much better, I'm sure I'll be even better when off altogether 👍

• Posted

That’s great to hear Brenda! Any side effects at all? 
    • Posted

Just couldn't sleep at night but knackered all day long sore bones aswell but much better in around a week and a half

• Posted

Tbh I just went from 30 to 15 then none and had to deal with it but cold turkey is easier for me than being on them
    • Posted

Well good or bad right or wrong I’ve gone from 30 - 15mg - 7 days ago alternated 3 days on off 15mg then stopped them - I’m either stupid or ...well I just had to come off them making me so ill- 

So far nothing to report except I started with man flu the day before I stopped ! and I pulled my back out at work 2 days ago so been out of action 

But tbh no side effects - and I feel freshest I’ve felt in years - no groggy mornings and lethargic days - sleeping been ok too -but early days I know - 

So far so good 

• Posted

Ive been on it same amount of time as you im comin off it because ive put on so much weight im only 10 days in tapering but terrified of what side effects are coming x
    • Posted

I know kaz I just ballooned put on 2stone felt awful about that too ! I’ll monitor weight now I’ve stopped taking them 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.