Beta blockers for dizziness/blurred vision

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi

Been placed on beta blockers for dizziness/blurred vision. By my ENT guy & DR.

I'm 23 no life what so ever since October. Thought bout ending my life few times as Iv been depressed as it's come from nowhere. I'm now seeing counselling cause my issues! Sod off dizziness/ blurred vision!!

Anyone tried beta blockers?

And what you're thoughts?

They both said it helps with anxiety & migraine ( I get headaches too )

Xxx

0 likes, 98 replies

98 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle - Ive had beta blockers but didnt help in any way except to help you calm down a bit.  Dizziness no different.  Nortriptylene was about the best but I believe its an anti depressant which also calms you down again dizziness no different.  I have bad days and better days but still got it.  Ive got a botox appointment on May 6.  I paid privately for botox which stopped my eyes feeling like they are being pulled out and helped me tolerate the bright lights in the shops.  Ive finally been diagnosed with silent migraine but who knows.  If the botox doesnt work then Im going to ask to go to dizziness clinic.  I believe theres one in Liverpool and Im in Manchester.
    • Posted

Hello Paula yes I went in there yesterday & demanded to get refered to pysio as I'm concerned about my neck. So the silly women did in the end & have another appointment next week about a new medication & thankfully my cousin was there ( she works in a hospital ) the med she mentioned is another anti depressant! My cousin turned round & said this isn't helping the dizziness & chucking diff pills at her & I got a lil bit teary! I don't feel depressed I am now!! Haha!! Cause all this drama.

Like you these are not helping me at all. Had my hair cut yesterday hole place was swaying spinning ect just wanted get it done & out. Never experienced any these feelings before sad

I wish u best with you're Botox Hun.

Also have you done vestibular therapy?

Xx

• Posted

Just curious, because I don't remember if you stated earlier, have you ever been tested for BPPV?
    • Posted

Hey no terry I haven't? Iv been refered now to pysio dunno if u red that bit finally they referring me to pysio what is that? And how do u get tested? Xx
    • Posted

It is where crystals get dislodged in the semicircular canals connected to the labrynth.  These canals are what help to sense our balance as fluid flows through them and interacts with tiny hair like sensors.  It is tested by the doctor performing what is called the Dix-Hallpike manuever.  It is usually associated with feeling dizzy with certain head movements, looking up or down, turning side to side, being laid back as in a dentist chair or getting your hair washed at a salon.

It is somewhaty easy to correct by performing what is called an Epley manuever.  Didnt' know what your total symptoms were.  It will also correct itself with time but, you have to suffer through the daily struggles it poses.  I know of someone here that had it and didn't go to a physical therapist to have the Epley performed and it took her a year to get over.

Just a thought.  You may have just have constant dizzy symptoms and not necessarily positional issues.  

• Posted

Hi terry I have just red it up and I had the testing via ENT he said it was ' migraine vertigo '

& he said about beta blockers & my dr also suggested beta blockers.

I'm seeing no difference. It's still blurred vision swaying sensation migrains bad neck ect

I'm hoping the pysio will be soon and help.

Thanks terry though for messaging me smile

Is there anything else you could suggest regarding getting testing for?

Iv had MRI too

Michelle

• Posted

I'm going dr again Friday will mention again vestibular therapy as the other lady said I don't need it but refered me to pysio. I said Iv been suffering since October so surely anything would be good. ( useless ) x
    • Posted

Hi Michelle - Ive never had vestibular therapy as far as I know. what is it.  I did get some dolf brandolf things to do early on but they made no difference.
  • Posted

Has anyone heard of MAV?

That's what my ENT said it was to me

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I feel your pain with all this. Literally. I'm 26 and this all started happening 5 weeks ago and I've literally lost my livelihood.

I starting getting vertigo and felt really off balance followed by severe headaches, neck pain, numbness in my face, etc. I've gone to the ENT and they don't think it's an inner ear problem, but the neurologist keeps saying vestibular migraines, BPPV, and anything else they come up with. I did steroids for 6 days which only somewhat helped and I've been given migraine prevention medication as well as something to take if they come on.

Everyone seems to think this has to do with anxiety and it's so frustrating! They think I'm going crazy. They don't understand and think I'm overreacting. I've become so depressed and just want to feel normal again.

I'm thinking of getting my neck checked out as well because I know that neck issues can cause problems with the sensory nerves in your head. I had the worst neck pain at work the other day that it felt hard to hold my head up and even laying down didn't help the pain.

I've had an MRI, blood tests, balances tests, hearing tests, etc. no one can seem to come up with the right diagnosis and want to just throw meds at you. Did you get an x ray of your neck? I'm debating to go to the spine doctor. I just want this to all go away. This is affecting my work life as well. sad hope you feel better soon. I'm so glad I found this site because I no longer feel alone.

-Lindsay

• Posted

' Everyone seems to think this has to do with anxiety and it's so frustrating! They think I'm going crazy. They don't understand and think I'm overreacting. I've become so depressed and just want to feel normal again. '

Omg I feel the same sad everyone thinks I should get over it and it's depression and anxiety. I'm depressed now I was enjoying life before this. I feel you're pain. Have you also tried anti depressants tho? And have you been counselling? I had ago the dr other day I said all you seem to do is tell people their depressed and are lazy I'm not you're Guinny pig so she has refered me to pysio ( just waiting on my letter now )

Does you're neck hurt? If so go in ASAP and tell them and ask to get it checked out by pysio as could well be linked. I feel soo I'll now this week on this beta blockers I'm gonna come off them not feeling great ( sick tired and blurred vision )

Good luck.. Xxx

• Posted

Hi sorry to chip in your conversation but your situation sounds similar to mine. I am having an mri of my neck next week as the neurologist thinks the tingling, dizziness and head pain and (when it flares up its severe and throbbing at the back on one side) might be occipital neuralgia caused by neck problem. Migraines are often suffered by people with occipital neuralgia too. Have a look on google and see what you think. x
    • Posted

Hi Lyn,

I have read about Occipital Neuralgia and that's what I think I have, too! Some days my neck hurts so bad it hurts to hold my head up. I have gotten migraines with a burning sensation in the back of my head and I read that the tension in your neck irritates your occipital nerves that are sensory nerves in your head which is why you get the burning sensation.

Please let me know how your MRI goes! I want to go back to the doctor to get an X-ray of my neck. I only had an MRI done of my brain. Feel better!

-Lindsay

• Posted

Yes you would need a cervical neck mri. I will let you know how mine goes. I am having a standard neck xray too. I am on gabapentin for the nerve pain which I dont think has helped much. When it flares up I can hardly lift my head off the pillow. I am waiting for a surgical procedure on the occipital nerve and nerve and facet block injections for the pain x
  • Posted

I'm bloody hating these beta blockers

So last 2 days Iv only taken 2 instead of 3

I'm trying to ween off them. As got a appointment next week to try something new.

My eye site is terrible and swaying sensation ( had to hold onto things again this week hasn't been great at all for me sad )

The Prozac I reamner I had to ween off them

I haven't been on these long mind but that have affected me not soo well. Think 3/4 weeks i think ( I take 1 3 times a day )

Was doing alright till this week has been terrible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.