Bisoprolol Fumarate

Posted , 10 users are following.

After a trip to A & E and short stay on cardiac ward, tests showed I had an episode of Coronary spasm.

I have been given Bisoprolol Fumarate 2.5 mg for this.   I am on my 2nd day of taking and I have felt a bit spaced out and weird.  I hope it will pass when my system gets used to it.  

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Angela, just wondering how you are and if you got sorted.  I had been on Bisoprolol for 5 years and they have me some horrendous symptoms.  I had no idea it was the drug, I thought my heart was still bad!  Came off it (with permissions), but various tachycardias arrived.  Cut a long story short, I am back on - this is day 11.  I am astonished how bisoprolol made by the different pharmaceutical companies varies.  I am now taking 'Sandoz' and on day 4, I had so many missed beats, then what seemed like hardly any beats.  My GP was very irritated that I should be concerned.  However, my Pharmacist - a lovely Irish girl, said to give it a few days, I might settle.  And settle it did.  I am ridiculously tired in the main, started getting night cramps, together with a little memory loss.  My BP is low and pulse low, but it's not causing me any problems.  No where near as bad as before.  I have no light headedness - that emptyness you feel, so that is an absolute bonus.  I'm telling you this Angela, because I am wondering if a different brand, could be better.  Having said that, how do we know which one as it is also out of our control.  Might I suggest you have a word with your Pharmacist, Angela.  Let me know how it's going.  Kind Regards, Denise.

• Posted

Interesting that you think different brands vary I have thought that about other meds even just over counter stuff . I only started 2.5 3 days ago in morning  , brand made in Australia, maybe too soon for side effects? What did you have yours for? 
  • Posted

beat you up beta blockers for me are a no no they made me spaced out paranoid and messed my whole life up and gave me and hallucinations never again i use calcuim channel blockers like candestarten it still has mild side affects like a runny nose in the morning but much better than beta blockers
  • Posted

Just noticed the mention of Amlodipine. After I'd been taking htis for a while I noticed mylegs were swollen. I mentioned it to the doc, who cheerfully said We're poisoning you, stop taking it. I did and the swelling went down.

• Posted

I was put on Bisoprolol 1.25 mg in February, I felt awful going onto it and wanted to stop, in fact I have a post on here a few weeks after I started taking it.   I continued and gradually my body got used to it, I had an operation on a broken ankle a week ago, I had a bad attack after I came out of the theatre, I,m now taking it in the morning and evening because I,m getting lots of breakthrough.

• Posted

Have you had problems with your stomach while taking this medicine.  I know I am so tired I can’t stay awake but my stomach is upset all the time too.  Vision problems, high Triglycerides, Blood Sugar Nausea, I am on 5 mg. I just have High Blood Pressure 
    • Posted

Why would they give you beta blockers just for high blood pressure? Seems odd
  • Posted

Been in it 3 days no noticeable side effects yet! Feel calmer and when check blood pressure no irregular beats , did water aerobics today felt okay . I don’t know these drugs all have side effects !! Not happy taking them.
  • Posted

An update on my condition now a full year after taking these drugs.

I have been told by an Autonomic Neurologist I now have Autonomic Instability, my work on learning such is incurable are going through the process of medical retirement. Any activity on my part now make me sickeningly ill. My only respite is to spend the day in bed.

• Posted

That’s awful for you , how long before side effects showed up ? I’m worried about taking them after reading all this , if I had taken coversyl too like I was told to I would have collapsed with too low blood pressure 
    • Posted

Hi Jenny, pretty much by the following day of first taking Bisoprolol, I was telling people I felt like a drunk zombie, like I had been turned into an old man overnight, like my lungs no longer felt as if they were working and breathlessness.

You will find lots of people say the same thing about Bisoprolol, fortunately most of them recover when the come off.

Unfortunately for me the side effects seem to have become permanent. Beta blockers disrupt the Autonomic Nervous System by blocking adrenaline receptors so the fight/flight-rest/digest is tilted out of balance to protect your heart. Autonomic Neuropathy can be triggered by the most minor of things, certainly by a drug that effects that very system.

The hardest part has been in getting the NHS to do anything about it, I suppose they are worried I am going to sue them or something as first of all the cardiologists would tell me to see my GP and say beta blockers come out of your system in 12 hours, (even though you take them every 24 hours!!), so it must be something else, then the GP's would say "we are waiting on your cardiologists" even after I explained I was being passed from one side to the other.

Next fob off they tried was to say I had anxiety which a psychologist reported I plainly didn't, and sent me back to the GP's.

As time was marching on and the NHS were not even looking for anything, I had to research for myself so I could logically reason with GPs, for instance I bought my own oxygen monitor which revealed a possible cause for my now permanently feeling drunk and dizzy, low oxygen content at night when my ANS doesn't detect low oxygen content and get me to breathe more when I am asleep. (see attached graph of mine, the red line at 88% is the danger line, you will see I spend a lot of the night under this).

The trouble with doing things yourself because nobody else will, then labels you with "Health Anxiety", another good excuse to fob you off and save money.

At the moment, I have managed to get an assessment with an Autonomic Neurologist who did a five minute Autonomic Blood Pressure test that demonstrated I now have Orthostatic hypotension and an initial diagnosis of "Autonomic Instability", something I actually worked out myself from Doctor Google and my symptoms, wrote on a piece of paper with a flow chart, presented to my GP, doing their job for them, and it still took nearly a year before anybody finally listened and did a five minute test!

Trouble is, it takes the NHS months to do anything, I am still waiting for a follow up re Autonomic Neurologist, I have a sleep apnea clinic appointment 31st May though I do not consider my low oxygen to be under the remit of a sleep apnea clinic but rather a neurologist, but my GP wants to wait for the results before having a brain scan MRI.

It has taken such a long time, despite my own efforts, even seeing my MP, that I have now lost my job, am too ill to go out but live alone, I consider Beta Blockers have destroyed my life as I felt so fit and well the day before I took them and have felt progressively and sickeningly worst since.

By all means take beta blockers if your life depends on it, and I am sure you will be one of the vast majority who will get over the side effects, but protect yourself just in case. Take a copy of this letter, show your GP or cardiologist and ask them to put i writing that they will take care of you if you suffer as a result of taking them.

If they poo poo this in front of you, you can be sure that if you suffer as I have, you will get no help from them.      

• Posted

I have come off Bisoprolol a month ago, I felt breathless, lethargic, blood pressure and pulse very low,one day my pulse was 44, my head felt strange as if I had a weight in it, and I would nearly pass out sometimes when I got up from relaxing.  My blood pressure is normal now and pulse 68 to 72.  It is a bad drug and I felt my ectopics were worse on it!
    • Posted

Are they the effects you felt whilst on them, and they have gone now I hope?
    • Posted

Thank you for your detailed reply. I have halved the tablets only 1.25 now and will see , they gave me these blockers as opposed to others because less likely to affect those with asthma , I am going to see my cardio again and have talk with GP . Here it is quite quick to get into GP and get any tests , same with my cardio , my ventricular ectopic beats seem to have stopped already , but I don’t u derstand that once they have for a while the heart doesn’t continue same after blockers stopped , but seems once on them they think you should stay on for life ! I feel okay and just going to water aerobics , but don’t think I could take blood pressure meds too ! Be far too low then . I do hope you can get some help and relief from your symptoms . Very sorry to hear that it all happened so quick . Regards Jenny 
    • Posted

Yes absolutely!   I saw the electrophysiologist 2 weeks ago about an ablation,I decided to wait and see because I didn,t want to have a pacemaker or multiple drugs like other people on here, he said come off them which I was happy about.  I try to live a normal life, I have always been active but have slowed down.   I like you had a bad childhood and relationships, I am an anxious person also but I want to live not exist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.