Bisto & Warfarin

Posted , 5 users are following.

How long was everyone on warafrin before having cardio version ? I was put on warafrin 4 weeks after the AF was diagnoised, I have been told I need to have my bloods stable 2.5 fir 4 weeks before they can do the cardio version , I have now eventually has 2 weeks stable but I am going on twoholidays close to each other , do you think I will need to start over again when I come back from my holidays , 

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am on Amidrone and also cavedilio beta blocker, I. Have felt like a zombie, doc has taken me off the beta blocker for two weeks and already feel a bit stronger in my legs,

does beta blockers affect any one else or is it just me?

• Posted

The bust made me feel like a zombie to and had to dragg myself every where  and I was only I'm 2.5 once a day , my go cut it down to 1.25 once a day , then the consultant looked at my 24 hour ECG and said I was to take 5 mgs a day , I refused as I would need to have went to bed and been fed through a staw , I was so upset , the consultant then with the 1.25 of bust put me on 1.25. of digoxin , the difference has been amazing I am just in from gardening I can walk without feeling breathless and my heart is now a lot calmer , I hope this helps and you feel better soon , B 
    • Posted

Hi Bernadette just had a laugh at your replies especially fron Derek he's so funny. Did I mention that I was put on Dixogin as well I was on them when I first took I'll,  they took me off them when I had my first cardio version but as you say we're not breathless no heavy limbs etc at least since I came off  Bisrolopol. Ehh your husband is one of the Pro Celebritie golfers at Gleneagles this week lol. Hope you enjoy your week in Tenerife I wish I was going on holiday not had once since I went to Vegas 2 years ago I'm wondering has anyone else been on a long haul flight and do they feel any different my Consultant said I would be fine if I wanted to do it again only I'm not the best confident flying lol. I expect insurance will be high, Your right Bernadette who would of though we would be discussing our ailments when this time last year we were fit as a fiddle,never mind it could be a lot worse keep in touch xx
    • Posted

Haha a golf pro now you are having a laff he has 2 left feet and hands , no he works with transport Scotlsnd now and had just finished with the common wealth games as well so he really needs a break to , he disent like flying I could care less , lol go on your holiday and enjoy were those sexy white socks / stockings and no one will come near you lol xx yes keep in touch , if only to brag how healthy we feel lol B xxx
    • Posted

Sorry should have said my insurance accesses went up by 300 but not the payment 
    • Posted

When I spoke to  cardiac consultant about the dificulty in getting insurance he said only go to countries with reciprocal health agreements and don't bother about insurance.

I said that it was rather limiting but he said it included New Zealand. Hope no Kiwi's are listening as I said I had been there and did nort want to go again but I would go back to Oz but it does not now cover Brits.

• Posted

When my GP once increased my BP meds from two to three I told him that would put up my annual travel insurance. He did not think it would. Next time I went to see him I told him, BP controled by two pills a day, no surcharge. Three pills an extra £75.
  • Posted

Hi Bernadette just wondering if your back off your jollies hope you had a good time it's my birthday today 21again lol. I'm still feeling good after stopping my Bisropolol I never know if I spell that right but who cares hope I never take them again I'm due for an echocardiogram in November so I hope everything is ok my last one was ok they said my heart was fine there was just a slight enlargement of the atrium which is very common in af. Hope hubby enjoyed his golf and won lots of trophies. Keep in touch xx
    • Posted

Hi , had a great time could walk about no prob , home now cases emptied start the dreaded ironing tomorrow , I have an appointment for the cardio on 12 Nov , well that's if I have fixed the warafrin while I was away lol at the clinic tomorrow !! It's amazing what a powerful drug bisto is glad your still feeling , the ECG will be fine I'm sure , husband playing golf lol no he was working he has nooo coordination to play golf , he can talk a good round though , keep in touch xx
    • Posted

Just thought I would add that I am also on 1.25 digoxin to contro; pulse rate and bisop 3 * 1.25 daily and was ok except for pauses so now have a pacemaker at 60bpm and feel much better.

As for cardioversions, have had 2 -both successful first for 6 months second for 24 hours.

After the first the Consultant took me off bisop. immediately (mistake) and warfarin after 4 weeks.

Should have kept me on bisop (IMHO and others) After the second I did not rest at all and was very active (foolish of me)

Best of luck with yours

• Posted

Thanks Bill , I am now seriously considering not having the cardio for the very same reasons as you have said , do you know of any one that it has lasted , I really don't want to put myself through going to bloody warafrin clinics every week and on the 3 week I get a different reading and back to the start ,dies your pacemaker cause you any trouble ? Thanks B 
    • Posted

I do know of 1 person who says that it is still working for them (ie still in sinus rythym) after 4 years but quoting from "stopafib.org" cardiov is 90% successful at first but without  follow on medication  then 20-30% only stay in sinus during the first year. Their last sentance is rather telling though.

" Overall, the likelihood is quite high that you you will revert back into AF, regardless of whether you stay on rhythm control drugs."

However, I have read that if cardiov is used soon after paroxysmal  AF is detected then there is agood chance that sinus rythym will be maintained. Needless to say my cardiov only took place after the AF went from parox to persistent.

As for PM; I have felt much better since having it implanted in October 2013. Reason being that my pulse often was in the 54-59 range and AF was bad but the PM is set at 60 so those "flutters" are eliminated so much less AF. I can actually "see" the difference on my iPhone App which also is "comforting". At last check the techie nurse said PM was in use 25% of its time.

• Posted

My first one lasted just over 14 months. I'm sure it would have lasted forever if I had not had the colonoscopy that stimulated my vagus nerve.

This one is now in month seven. 

Having it is no big deal, if you need it you should have it.

• Posted

I didn't realise it could revert back while on the beta blockers ,and you can get an app on your iPhone to check your rythem , I never knew that . I know nothing much about AF , the more I read the more I think I'm stuck with it , I thought there woukd come a time it woukd go away and stay away , no such luck , right now with the 1.25 of bisto and 1.25 of digoxin ,  I feel fine , so I'm thinking thus may be as good as it gets ,I see the consultant at long last on the 20 no I will be armed with lists of questions , TY B 
    • Posted

Hi the other thing I always mean to ask is, after a successful cardio and still taking the meds do you actually feel any different ? 
    • Posted

Probably taking meds you don't need will make you feel worse:-)

My discharge note after my cardioversion said to continue with my meds. I pointed out to the Matron who had done the procedure that as it said that I was back in sinus bradycardia with premature ectopic beats that bisoprolol would slow my heart even more.

She went off for advice and said to stop the bisoprolol.

• Posted

I certainly felt better during my 6 month in sinus after the first cardiov.

Just angry that the Consultant took me off the bisop.

Must sound very odd to read that with the complaints about bisop all of which I echo until I sorted out the dosages and timings to best suit me.

• Posted

Hi. Derek hope  your well and behaving lol , am I right after your meds been changed after the cardio your sinus yours flip back ? 
    • Posted

Interesting that you also believe you were taken off bisto early , like this morning I forgot to take my bisto and digoxin I felt very unwell , only 4 hours to late , it took the best part of the day  to get back to feeling what is now normal . I think it's about knowing your own body , and it sounds like the cardiologist need to listen to what we are saying , thanks 
    • Posted

I have stayed in sinus rhythm since cardioversion in March but obviously still have ectopic beats. They stopped the Bisoprlol and I stoped Amiodarone due to side effects and later Warfarin for the same reason and went back to aspirin and continued with Losartan and Omeprazole. At my next cardiology appointment I asked about sinus bradycardia as it had not been put that way previously. He said that initially after cardioversion patients are in sinus brady but it reverts to sinus rhythm.... I expect that he is right.

At a recent appointment a keen young cardiologist said that he would investigate my ongoing BP. I told him that I was now attending a hypertension referral clinic. I then got a letter saying that they they need not see me again as it is being investaged elsewhere. Next week I am having an MRI scan as part of that investigation.   

• Posted

Have similar "unwell"feelings if I am late with a dosage. But when it is hot and/or sultry I often dip out of taking the bisto and feel ok. Found that if I took it it made me terribly lethargic etc. Actually I posted a link in another thread that endorsed what I felt so feel ok with that. GP just shakes his head when I remind him.

Do you have a check up to see the level of digoxin in your blood?

My GP says not necessary but Cardiac department think otherwise (at my prompting) so have it checked annually. My levele on 1.25 has always been just above the minimum effective. Certainly no more prolonged pulses of 120-140bpm

• Posted

Hi bill I anm new to all this as it only happened in June thus year , the biggest comfort if you like as I can ask people questions as I don't get to see the consultant until 20 November 2 weeks after my cardio app if that goes ahead providing my bloods are ok x
    • Posted

Hi Bernadette hope you are well just noticed one of your messages after my 2 Cardio Versions the consultant asked me if I felt like a new woman lol well I didn't feel much different at all because all my symptoms of lethargy and anxiety were from taking Bisropolol are you going to have yours on the 20th November.  Also I'm just wondering if you have ever had the flu injection I haven't but due to circumstances I'm wondering whether to have it or not  only you hear of people feeling worse when they have had the injection.  I don't want to end up with flu because this is where all my problems started in February. I will be pleased when this years out lol  keep in touch xx
    • Posted

How long do they want you to continue taking Bisropolol?

I questioned if I should still take as I normally have a low heart rate in the 40's when not in AF. They said not to continue with it.

• Posted

Hi I have never had a flu jab , cardio is off I can't get the bloods stable , nurse tells me stress burns the warafrin , so god knows so I said no far to much going on at the moment , got my first appointment with the condescending consultant since it happened on the 20 nov , I will be armed with questions lol take care xx
    • Posted

Hi Derek I am no longer on Bisropolol I stopped in in September the Consultant put me on Dixogin instead I have been on these before so now I'm just taking Dixogin and Dabigatran, I feel absolutely fine since i stopped Bisropolol no horrible heavy limbs,breathlessness  or anxiety fingers crossed.
    • Posted

I'm going to ask if I can come of it as well what's dadigatran and what's it for xx
    • Posted

Hi Bernadette hope you are well did you go to see your consultant today I hope everything was ok and you went in all guns blazing. I have my appointment on Monday for echocardiogram. At the moment I'm still feeling good after stopping the bisropolol I suppose we'll just have to see next week. Don't know what's wrong with my iPad but this site seems really slow at moment. Keep in touch xx
    • Posted

Hi , you make have heart problems but there's nothing wrong with you memory girl , lol oh wher do I start , took a bad turn the night before really sharp pain in my back and chest , I went to the hospital , they kept me in over night as they thought I had had a heart attack but the second blood test said it wasn't high enough to confirm , don't know what it was but hey I got to see the consultant , who is very keen for me to have the cardio version , when I explained if I'm stressed and I can't get my blood levels right , he said he is happy to go ahead and put me on some new warfrin tablet ( it's been mentioned on here but I don't know the name ) that you don't get checked . I am also OFF the bisto ,,,, yesss I have to try and see how I feel but go fir an ECG on Tuesday just to make sure I don't revert back , still to stay on the digoxin 2.5 a day , I hopful to get the cardio before Xmas I fully intend to take to my bed and take it easy for as long as I can , 

during the summer I over stretched my arm in the car and my arm has been aching , I'm now going to see an ortheoathic surgeon , on Monday , honest to god I have never had a 5 month period like this in my life , bet your sorry you asked lol 

let me know how you get on on Monday as I will no doubt forget to ask you , I hope I keep as well as you when off the dreaded bisto , do you have a FB page , , Bernie xx

• Posted

Hi Bernadette,sorry to hear about hurting your arm your right I will be pleased when this years out,I worried when the flu season starts that will bring back bad memories of when I first took bad. I don't really have a good memory can't remember what I did an hour ago lol I sometime worry in case I'm getting Alzheimer's that will be another site to go on ha ha I jest not. I bet you got a fright when you ended up in hospital at least you saw the consultant. I'm on Dabigitran which is blood thinner its newer than the warfarin and you don't need to keep getting your blood checked I will let you know how I get on Monday after my echocardiogram yes I have fb page  have a good weekend have a couple of glasses of wine xx
    • Posted

Ditto , mine is Mes Souliers it's the name if the shop if you want to add xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.