Blessed with Drs here in US

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was sitting around today and my phone rang.

​I picked it up and it was a social worker from when I had my last stay in the hospital on Jan 31.  She was calling to see how I was doing...and if I NEEDED anything. I was surprised.

​We talked for about 1/2 an hour...she listened to all my stress..all my upcoming appointments...She was very happy that I have requested my therapist to do drug/alcohol testing...to keep me honest...and to support my disability claim (I want to have something on file that proves I am not ingesting alcohol).

​I asked what types of things would I need from her?  She gave me examples..such as if I am having problems personal...or having problems locating Drs...or need something that the Drs can't provide...like medication...or questions on insurance...etc...

​I'm doing well.  But, I have to say that the way I was treated in hospital and the way I continue to be treated by Drs and Psychiatric staff...is a big component as to why I have done so well this time.  Its nice to feel cared for....

​So anyone that is struggling with healthcare and understanding...just know there are people out there that do care.  And I think the UK will catch up someday...there has been alot on the news...about alcohol and drug use...and Drs. learning that if they don't start understanding...things will get worse sad.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey, just on way out for physio and then aa so will explain later. I'm sure I will get a lol comment from RHGB too! I like the holistic approach which helps with anxiety but not for alcohol abuse!!!
    • Posted

Far be it from me to pass comment on your treatment, I mean banging yourself around the head, talking to yourself, masochism by sticking needles into yourself, followed up by a bit of self flagellation at AA, it all sounds delightful and a wonderous way to pass the time of day.

I've got my one to one at Addaction on Monday, the current lady is going on holiday for six months, something to do with that beer gut she is carrying, so I get introduced to my next lady. That'll be enough for me for the next couple of weeks, then I get to see the prescribing doctor on the 17th.

• Posted

Didn't get to aa as ended up saving a lost dog who got loose. Much more enjoyable than aa! The owner has just picked him up from me! 

My dads a retired gp so I'm used to sarcey comments RHGB!!!

• Posted

Hiya RHGB

I don't know what kind of work you do, or if you work.

Have you ever thought about writing. I look forward to reading your posts, so of which have had me in stitches . My favourite one being about looking in faeces for tablets. You've a really dry sense of humour, along with a bit of sarcasm.

self flagellation at AA, banging yourself round the head, masochism with needles lol! Keep it up

• Posted

Told him he should write a book! Plus I must admitt when I saw the poo thing ,before he'd commented, I thought to myself, who the hell checks their poo?!! Than RHGB was straight in there with a witty comment!!
    • Posted

I thought everyone checked their poo!

Not physically but just a quick look lol

• Posted

Yes he should write a book, 'ONE MAN'S QUEST FOR MEDICATION ' by RHGB.

No I don't check my poo! I'd have to hunt for my glasses, which knowing me could take anything from 10 mins to an hour!

• Posted

I always have my phone with me in the loo so I already have my glasses haha
    • Posted

What do you do, if you get a sinker rather than a floater, surely that must make it more difficult to inspect. Or do you keep one of those kids' seaside fishing nets next to the loo.
    • Posted

I would think I've got a result if I had a sinker because the amount I drink makes things a little ummmm..... loose?
    • Posted

Must admit I've started checking the colour of my pee in the morning since Misssy or RHGB said if it's bright yellow it means you've had enough vit B !
    • Posted

Vitamin B always makes my pee yellow.I mustn't need any then.

Asparagus makes your pee smell funny as well

• Posted

Really? Not noticed though can't say I eat it often. Hey you learn something new everyday on this sight !! X
    • Posted

Yes I flush ASAP, without my glasses I wouldn't see anything!
    • Posted

My line of work was area manager, very well paid and very stressfull, hence alcohol was my coping mechanism and probably what led to my stroke. I'm just starting to look around for work now, I've been in the fortunate position that I could wait until I was fully fit in body and mind before I made that decision.

I have thought about writing a short book, something along the lines of 'A year in the life of a stroke victim' The highs and lows.

More of a self help book, for people to read someone's journey, that perhaps they can connect with, not just stroke victims, but their family aswell. There was no real after support given to me and none for my wife, who didn't know if she was going to end up with a vegetable in a wheelchair for a husband.

She bought a book whilst I was in hospital (the sort of thing I was thinking of, about 100 pages) but it didn't really help her. I think people could do with a book that was written by someone who had experienced it and went on to live an everyday life. I picked up many books in the stroke hospital whilst waiting for appointments and they always involved someone who had picked their life up and conquered Mt.Everest.

People don't need that, it is a bridge too far, they need to know there is a fairly good chance of things getting back to nornal, but it takes time and there is some heartache on the way. The only trouble, is there are so many people self publishing these days and sticking it on Amazon, that even if you write a good book, with humour, it is hard trying to get it to stand out.

• Posted

We went through something similar.2 and a half years ago my husband had a fall at work and was taken to hospital because they thought he had a stroke but after a day if tests the Mri scan confirmed he'd had a spinal injury at the neck.He spend 5 months in stoke Mandaville rehab hospital.He can walk but he walks like R2 D2 and has a lot of issues with his hands not feeling things properly.

That was when my drinking really went up a notch

• Posted

Hey, that's a brilliant idea. Articles or books which are based on personal experience and their trials and tribulations are invaluable.

If my husband suffered a stroke (3% chance he could) whilst having cardiac ablation I wouldn't have a clue what to expect. The sort of book you're talking about would be the kind I would want to read. Lighthearted, but informative, and not all doom and gloom.

Writing a book would be a great way of taking your mind off alcohol. Yes there probably are a lot of writers sticking stuff on Amazon.

I guess you're not doing it for the money, so even if you didn't sell thousands, think of the satisfaction and pride you'd get from it. You wouldn't have been able to achieve it whilst you were drinking.

There are lots of self help groups for people and families who have been affected in some way by having a stroke. What better places to target and market your book, waiting rooms, day centres, the possibilities are endless.

What have you got to loose? Worse case scenario, people don't buy it. Does that matter? You've achieved something to be proud of that you wouldn't have been able to achieve when you were drinking.

good luck. Go for it, with your flair for writing and humour have a go!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.