Blood Pressure at young age 27 feeling depressed :(

Posted , 27 users are following.

I have got BP problem at very young age 27 ,my bp is high always it some time 180/110,160/100 and sometime 143/77 , I have gone through blood test urine test all my test are normal,my bp was detected 2 years back when my weight was 110kg but i decided to loose my weight instead of going for medication after 1 and the half year my weight is 92 but still my bp is high ,doc have told me to go for medication ,now I m starting with medication but I am feeling deprseed how come my bp is detected at such young age need ur help guys ,is der no any other way den taking medicine ,doc r telling me to go for medication and dnt think much,pls need ur help guys

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi guys, I have been advice to take medicine amlodipine and atenolol tablets to control high bp is it really good?and for the first time i took this medicine i was feeling headache and a bit diziness ,what all care shud i take guys inrrespective of taking medicine for controlling bp??? i have started yoga,in excericise hw much time can we do cardio excerice any idea guys???
    • Posted

Amlodipine is standard meds for HTN.  Atenolol is a beta blocker and does reduce blood pressure, but is not really as effective as other meds such as ACE antagonists, calcium channel blockers (amlodipine), diuretics, etc. 

Amlodipine in any case is an excellent start.

• Posted

Hiya..I got diagnosed at 30 (almost 3 years ago) and felt pretty depressed as well, its the psychological effect of realising that you could be on medication for life and realising that life is really that short, thats what got to me..The first few months were very hard and resulted in change of diet (lots of veg and fruit).I didnt exercise as I was advised not to until my BP is lowered. Lots of changes to medication to try and find one which is suitable, I was on similar med, which you are currently taking but that left me feeling dizzy and all sorts so when I spoke to my doc, he said I shouldnt be on it and took me off, I suggest you speak to your doc if you are still getting dizzy etc. There are lots of meds for BP so you shouldnt suffer if one isnt working for you. I am now taking one water tablet daily. I did try to come off it but I have now accepted that my BP is what it is. I take care of myself i.e. continue to eat lots of fruit and veg (half a plate of veg at at lunch and dinner usually and lots of fruit usually at breakfast and snacks) reduce your sugar intake, definitely stay away from red meat. and drink lots of water ( I always take water first thing in the morning 1hr before breakfast,) I agree with the other posters that fish is good. Start to exercise-brisk walking everyday 30mins is good enough, youtube also has some good exercise videos, although I advise you discuss with your doc first as your BP is still high, you may want to lay off the exercise and concentrate on diet for now. Google the DASH diet for tips..I also bought a Resperate machine (google it) which works wonders for me in terms of relaxation and lowering my BP.  Please dont come off the med, it could save your life as stated its difficult to accept at first but be assured that with some lifestyle changes your BP could improve and your meds reduced. Take care of yourself-relax lots, take life easy, pray lots, dont sweat the small stuff, reduce negativity in your life (from people etc) reduce your stress levels. In my experience this has been a blessing, pushing me to do the things I want in life. High BP runs in my family and I have a grandma who has been on meds since her 30s she is now in her 70s,and soon retiring from nursing, so people do live with this condition for ages..Once you get your head around it and accept what has happened you will be just fine..Many people live with high BP and some even younger..You will be OK..have faith.
    • Posted

Do you stil use the Resperate machine on a daily basis or is a technique once learnt does not need the machine ?
    • Posted

Hiya Derek..

The recommended usage is 10mins, 4 times a week as a minimum..I use the resperate machine almost daily as it really helps me relax especially  if stressed. I havent tried the technique without it, am not sure it will be the same to be honest. 

• Posted

They used to be advertised a lot but I have not noticed adverts recently.

Do you use it at particular times in the day? My BP varies wildly between morning, evening and late at night.

For example it was 192/95 first thing yesterday morning but 110/64 by 10pm.

• Posted

Very interesting to hear of someone who actually uses the Resperate machine and finds it works too. As Derek says they haven't been advertised for ages,wonder why.

I totally endorse all you've said to abhij  about your own HBP diagnosis. Even though I'm over twice your age [71] I felt the same psychological effect for the same reasons: then I met someone who had been diagnosed at the same time with T2 diabetes and wondered what I was bleating about confused. I did all the things you mention too as well as walking briskly daily for roughly half an hour - I bought a Labrador dog! All I would add to your list of things to do/not do is SALT and WINE: I stopped adding salt to my plate, it had been a life long habit I'm sure as I really don't miss it at all now and I drink wine only occasionally. i take just a low dose of Losartan and my BP average over the past week was 115/74. Thinking of asking dr for a possible reduction of meds at my next visit.

• Posted

Did not do me any good! I stopped putting salt on food in 1983 and no longer used it in cooking and and seldom eat prepared meals. I stopped sugar in tea and coffee at the same time and my wife only uses half quantitites in recipies. I have always walked a lot as I do not drive.

Seven years later my BP was suddenly Sky High and a few years after that I was glucose intolerant/T2. 

Damned if I'll give up my glass of wine with my dinner.

British Hypertensive Society review on Resperance:

http://www.bhsoc.org/pdfs/Statement%20on%20RESPeRATE%20April%2012.pdf

• Posted

Yes, well I did wonder whether the salt thing actually did any good but I certainly did used to use  a lot. My husband uses an incredible amount, piles it on his plate [likes the crunch he says !!] and when I say he shouldn't he replies that we actually eat as much as we need. Certainly his BP is low and he's 83.
    • Posted

When I had my annual T2 check up the nurse read out the recent blood test results and commented that my sodium level was low. I forgot to question that with the doctor when I went to see him about something else.

Yet another conflicting health article on salt:

http://rense.com/general65/salt.htm

https://patient.info/blogs/sarah-says/salt-why-the-fuss

Patient Moderator Note: I have added an URL (a link) to this reply to provide more information on the subject matter. Please refrain from linking to 'rense dot com' in future. Sorry if this has caused any inconvenience.

• Posted

For some reason, docs typically counsel HTN patients "throw away the salt shaker!"  But in fact, we do need some salt in our diets, and most of the salt we consume is in prepared food, mostly stuff from the deli counter (turkey roll, salami, etc) or in cans.

• Posted

I have been taking pills for three weeks now very reluctantly feel very depressed about it  but have to take some control over lowering blood pressure. I get very scared some times about it all.  It's best if you take the pills and try to forget about the side effects.that could happen to you and concentrate on living life to the full
  • Posted

Hi! I read your post and I know how you feel. I was diagnosed with HBP at 17.  I was told by the doc to take a 5mg Lisinopril and I'd be fine, well that didn't satisfy me. I decided to take my health into my own hands. So, I switched doctors he did blood tests and an EKG and they both came back fine,  and now two years later at 19, I'm 30 pounds lighter but I still have HBP. I've made a complete change in diet, I've started eating wild-caught salmon at least twice a week and I'm watching my salt intake, and it is depressing at times but the thing that's helped me greatly is the thought that at least I caught it early and am making proactive changes. Good luck, and any advice?
    • Posted

How high is your BP? If you are on The Pill it can increase your BP.
    • Posted

It varies. I check it twice a day, once in the morning when I first wake up and then at night before I go to bed. Yesterday morning it was110/70 and then evening it was 120/78. I'm not on birth control, and my doctor only perscribed BP meds (Propranolol 10mg) as needed. However, I took it a little while ago and it was 138/78.... I'm thinking of starting a food diary.
    • Posted

What figure was it when your GP decided that it needed treating? I have never heard of taking a BP med as needed.

BP does not stay the same all day it varies constantly depending on activity, stressfor a lot of reasons in both normal and hypertensive people.

If you Google " Normal Blood Pressure Fluctuations Throughout the Day" you will get more of this article:

"some fluctuation in blood pressure is completely normal. Changes of 25 to 30% during the day are not abnormal -- they reflect the fact the body is a dynamic, changeable organism. Many normal things can have large effects on blood pressure. Walking 20 feet can raise systolic blood pressure by 10 to 15 points. Your stress level, how tight your shoelaces are, what you had for breakfast, and how well you slept last night can all change your blood pressure, too.If you’re sure that the measurements are accurate, and the blood pressure swings happen even when you’re relaxed, well-rested, and have no reason that can account for the changes, go see a doctor. Chances are that everything is OK and that the variations are just a natural part of your body’s cycle. Even if the fluctuation is not completely normal, the odds are that the exaggerated variance is the result of mild to moderate high blood pressure that hasn’t yet been diagnosed; that should fade with proper treatment and management".

• Posted

A question of 'As needed' on a health web site:

Q:  Can I take my blood pressure medication only when necessary, or do I need to take it every day?

A: High blood pressure medication is not intended to be taken "as needed." If it's a prescription, it's important for you to take it every day, at the same time every day if at all possible. It's designed to protect the inner lining of your circulatory system, and it won't be able to do that if you only take it intermittently. If you feel that your current medication is lowering your blood pressure too much, discuss your concerns with your doctor as soon as possible. Matt Curley, PharmD

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.