BONVIVA / IBANDRONIC ACID

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is not exactly the same as Alendronic Acid but its the same family.

2 years ago I was started on AA because after a 2nd THR I had a fracture during exercises {NHS}. I demanded a DEXA and it showed Osteoporosis.  

Fracture of the greater trochanter bone which wont heal and is leaving me on crutches permanently and with a lot of pain because it will never heal..

The AA made me very queasy, it was changed to another one with the same effects so eventually  the GP put me on Bonvita {dont know if anyone else is on it} its a once a month tablet not once a week. The thinking was that if I was going to be queasy at least it would be only once a month not every week.

I know the bisphoates can cause aches and pains but I had so many to start with I dont know what is what.  I have arthritis in my hips, lower back and ankle. I have kypho scoliosis, this fracture from the greater trochanter bone etc etc.

Recently My leg has been sore, knee cap, back of leg, side of leg, it moves about.

Today I was supposed to take my Bonviva and forgot.  It was thinking about this that made me think had those tablets anything to do with it.

First GP said it was a pulled hamstring, second GP said it was inflammation and put me on an extra Naproxen and made an appointment for the physio. She doesnt seem to really know and gave me exercises to do and told me not to wear such flat shoes

Sorry for the ramble

Love

Eileen  UK

2 likes, 329 replies

329 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I tried to comment yesterday when my PlayBook had a complete mental breakdown.  Just re Vitamin K2. Its importance is not for blood clotting,  that is Vitamin K1.  K2 makes sure calcium is absorbed into bones where it belongs, not deposited on walls of blood vessels etc where it's not wanted. 
    • Posted

Thanks for that....nice to know my bones will benefit since I have just started taking the K2 smile x

• Posted

Hello Carrie, this isn't really a reply to your post but I found a real good bit of information that is possibly relevant to you (and Eileen & others) Can't put it on here but if were to look at page 223 of you-know-what, you would see a statement about the possibilities of curing OP using supplements and mild exercise. If you can't find it I can type the gist of it into a message and mail It needs some more reading but certainly looks promising. I'm happy to read and try anything to avoid having to take that infernal poison again, I've never had chest pain like that burning that I had. I must have a shallow stomach or something.

Hope that all is well with you and that you are still as cheerful as ever.

Take great care

Kind Regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin

​Just read page 223.....I need to get on and read more...interesting!  Thank you so much for suggesting possible reading of said book!!! lol  IF it does indeed work with us doing more exercise - albeit gently in my case and Eileen's et al - and it prevents further fractures then it HAS to be a good thing smile

​Trying to stay cheerful!!  Bought some plants for the garden this morning but will have to keep them inside as due a frost tonight sad 

​Good luck your end and thanks again so much for all your help an advice smile

Kind Regards

​Carrie

• Posted

I think there is absolutely no doubt that appropriate exercise and proper nutrition is just as helpful as poisonous pharmaceuticals, and no adverse side effects!   It is really frustrating that the names of the poisons are able to be posted ad lib on this site, but we can't share a book title with more than one person at a time.  I have no idea what book you people havebeen talking about, and I'd love to be able to tell you about the ones I've read, but....  You could check your public library for books about vitamin K2.  That is a start.
    • Posted

Hello Anhaga

First let me offer my profound appologies for not having sent you the private message which I have passed around a number of our fellow contributers. I shall remedy that in a few moments.

Second I totally agree about the exercise and nutrition. Both are incredibly important but recovery is possible with them singly if there is no other choice.

Third, Yes it is frustrating but I actually understand why even if I don't agree with it. The advertisers tentacles are long and effective!

Fourth, I haven't been in our public library for twenty years. Maybe I should give it a try.

Again, I really didn't realise that I had left you out of the loop, I just hope that you will accept that I have spent so many hours typing I think I've become a little forgetful. Promise not to do it again.

Sincere regards

Aristotle.

• Posted

Oh, no problem!  I could have asked for the link, couldn't I?  I understand about the filter, but there are some odd things we can't really talk about, and others that we can.  There is that other forum about alternative treatments where things not completely accepted by allopathic medicine is relegated.  I note that the strange posting from yesterday has been removed!  Cheers,   Jean
    • Posted

Hi All.  I really like the idea of beginning a new forum discussion for members with the same objective as the little group that has been posting on this discussion and a few others. It would at least keep the posts together so that people didn't miss them. I would suggest that, because of the posting rules current here, if we send personal messages that are of interest to other members, then we also post a general advice that this has taken place and leave it to individuals to contact the member who originated the post.

I have one private message which contains my own personal program development and am happy to publish this to get us going. It's not really private but needs editing to remove certain book references.

First, I need to know that others are happy with the general idea. I believe that Anhaga (Jean) is in favour of the general idea, I, obviously am. I'll get in touch with Kathleen and Faith to let them know.  It's almost what has been happening here but it would need an obvious title, something like 'Curing Osteoporosis and Osteopenia the Natural Way'. Please do let me know your opinions. I'm quite happy to be democratic about things but I do want all parties included when information is available for the taking.

Regards

Aristotle

aka Colin

• Posted

Hi All

Yes, happy with the idea....it does get confusing with posts, so if we have them in one place, generally, then that makes sense smile  Hopefully!!

​Got my walk in before the rain! :D

Kind Regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Thanks Carrie, glad to hear the you're coping with the walking (and the weather). I'm about to get my step out before the snow comes.

Talk again soon

Regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi All,

I had a message from Kathleen who suggested a change to the title and it looks good to me because it removes any onus on posters to provide a cure. The suggested change is shown below:

'Improving Osteoporosis and Osteopenia the Natural Way'

A small but significatn change which only goes to show why we need communication.

Aristotle.

• Posted

Hi All

​Just off to physio in a mo for the wrists.  New title sounds good to me smile

Take care

kind regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Getting there smile  Bit of progress, go again in 3 weeks.  A question of keep doing the stretch/movement/strength exercises - on top of OP exercises, as I now try and have a daily walk smile  It is a bit of a struggle trying to balance everything!  That is why it is so great having this support smile

Hope you are having a good pm smile

kind regards

​Carrie

• Posted

So far, so good. Some steps & jumps on my home made device. Had to put two planks together, it wasn't high enough. Was doing alright until the rain started. Managed to pull out a few dandelions and some rough grass and then went inside to read a bit more. Have reached the Maximisising nutrition intake section and my eyes keep closing so I shall give up for now. Eileen sounded a bit happier today but she really needs any support that we can think of and offer. Unfortunately it's mostly moral support from me because I know so liitle about osteoarthritis. Your walk probably does as much for your OA as for your OP and it builds a bit of muscle as well. I'm really pleased that you are able to obtain support from this forum, knowing that, actually helps me keep faith with what we are trying to achieve. 

Had my annual cardio / vascular check-up this morning and so far OK. Have to wait for the blood test results and requested a check for vitamin D and Calcium as well as the usual tests. I don't mind these checks, at least I get to know officially that I'm still alive!

Deep Space 9 time

Relaxation at the final frontier.

Bye for now

Kindest Regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin

Yes I'm happy with that idea my only thing is that because of this arthritis in my knee I doubt that I would have much to add to osteoporosis at the moment but I get this injection not this Sat but next so hopefully this will help ny knee and I'll concentrate on the osteoporosis then

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Some of my messages aren't going through so if this is duplicated I'm sorry

I'm

happy with the idea of a different thread

Only problem is my arthritis is so bad at the moment I'm not paying much attention to my osteoporosis

I geet an injection not this Sat but the following one so hopefully that will help and after that I will be able to concentrate onosteoporosis.

That OK?

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Colin, I very much am gaining support and any I can give in return is worth twice as much smile  I think the walking is good for me and as you say hopefully for the OP and the OA.  I am a bit behind on messages as trying to keep a few bits juggling at mo, not just the exercise and diet but my writing which gives me pleasure; not had much luck with the publishing yet by it took JK Rowling a while! lol  wink

​I have only flicked thru the book.....I MUST give it greater attention.  It is so cold today that after I've had a bite to eat, I may well make a start smile

My left thigh is complaining a bit....think in doing one particular exercise I might have pulled something!!  May have to be a bit careful for a bit!

​Your stepper sounds fab, I do hope that you have put a mat or something soft underneath as protection though.

Ooh by the way, I have bought kiwi fruits and rather like them so that is a plus smile

​Good luck with your blood test results and the results of your cardio/vascular.  Interestingly when I queried with my GP about some ppl having normal calcium levels, she agreed, saying that it was just one of those things.  She also indicated that it was probably due to all my steroid consumption as a child, as I am a chronic asthmatic.  sad  Thankfully they are far more careful about prescribing steroids to children these days.

Right....lunch time!  Going to try my sardines in tomato sauce see how I get on smile

Take care,

kind regards

Carrie

• Posted

Eileen,

​I'm so sorry your OA is so bad at the moment sad  It does seem, certainly with me too, that flares occur now and then that just make things that extra bit more painful, especially with the change to this cold weather and the damp, wet sad

​I am now on the Turmeric capsules, not the root extract but the organic turmeric, so I am hoping that will help with my pain a bit, it has apparently excellent results as an anti-inflammatory.  Will keep you posted smile

​I am also still on the Natural gelatin which is also supposed to help so fingers crossed.

I hope your injection helps.

Do take care.

love Carrie

• Posted

Hello All - Anhaga, Carrie, Eileen, Faith & Kathleen.

Eileen, don't worry about duplicated files, that's the least of your problems. My daughter gave me a bit of a run-down on her problems and made me realise just how hard things are for you ladies, so I've had my instructions about being a little more sympathetic, particularly where intense pain is concerned since it clouds the brain to the exclusion of everything else

This morning, I went to the sports centre gym for my exercise session, walking part of the way there and back. The exercises were more of what I've talked about previously but I'm starting to extend things a bit so that I hopefully will get a better return. Pauline met me at the local clock tower (about a mile and a half walk for her) and we went down the disabled route to the sea level and then did our walk to the cafe. Pauline managed it easily and with only a little pain. The improvement seems to be continuing and we have high hopes for her. Hope that yours will be just as successful Eileen, it's a pity but we can do very little other than offer you moral support and you can have as much of that as you can manage. So can anyone else who needs support.

Pauline is also incredibly relieved because all her tests have gone alright and she only has to remain on drugs for a few more months so that she can be weaned off them.

I got the book that the other Bones website was pushing, second hand, so that's something else to compare with The Book and obviously alternative slants and ideas. I've almost written a book on this site, I do seem to have lots to say about nothing. That of course is not true, when the subject is people with an affliction like OA, we're not talking about nothing.  I haven't heard back from Faith yet and don't know if she is interested in our proposal but if not, she will still be welcome anytime as will anyone else. We'll have to see how things go.

I'm also writing My Story in preparation for when we get sorted. It's not that good but I want it to be accurate and as complete as I can make it. It is likely to become a work in progress as we learn from books and each other.

Now I'm getting carried away which reminds me, Carrie is doing well with her program although she also has multiple problems. It's really not for me to glow but I think that you are all doing a wonderful job slowly moving forward and I am really pleased to be associated with you.

We can beat this!

All good wishes and happy thoughts

Regards

Colin.

Did I actually say anything or was I just burbling again?

• Posted

Hi Carrie

For the jumping exercises, I've found a large rug that used to sit in front of the fire. It's quite thick and offers some protection if I stumble.

Glad that you like the Kiwifruits - miracle fruits apparently.

Hope that you got on alright with the sardines, I quite like them and the bones are easily digested and used to supplement your calcium.

We also need boron which you get from avocados (also guacamole which is avocado based).

I've written a general missive pointed towards Eileen's post. Most of my news is in there. Unfortunately, I get carried awy sometimes (maybe that should be I need carrying away sometimes!).

All the best

Kind Regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Carrie

Sorry you are having problems as well

I keep meaning to but the gelatine and forget.

I hope the injection helps as well  biggrin  Even if it only gives me comfort while I go to Venice and have a reasonable holiday but I do hope it lasts longer

Take care

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Colin

Good for your daughter.......they are very good at telling us off arent they?

What age is she? Mine is 34 and my son is 35. With my daughter sometimes I feel its like positions are reversedcheesygrin she is telling me what to do and what not to do  biggrin

You are getting on so well with the exercises and as for Pauline she is fantastic. Wish I could walk that far without any aids.

You say you can only offer support.  Its great when people are supporting you.

Do you remember the first X Ray in my knee was arthritis?

Then the 2nd one got really sore and I asked for an X Ray on that......got the result today. Over the phone the GP said I can tell you what it ISNT ....its not arthritiseek what a shock.....because the other one was and I've got arthritis in almost every other joint. I said what is it? he said reading the X Ray it says NON SPECIFIC???????

I see the consultant a week tomorrow before he gives me the injection so hope he makes more sense of it

I asked the GP what to do especially since  I'm going to Venice on 25th May.......he said taked another naproxen.....thats me back on the full dose! use creams/gels and when you get this injection it should help.

I said but its in the leg that isnt so sore now should it not be in the one that is agony? No ....no reason to change it. you've got arthritis in the other one but this one you havent ....he gave the impression it should go of its own accord.,......not chronic.Anyway if you get the injection in the one with arthritis it might help the other one because you will be putting more  weight on it at the minute?? Not sure at all.....we'll see what the consultant says

I wonder whats happened to Faith?

I'm keeping up with Carries posts.....I have answered one tonight

Well I'm off to bed now

Love to all

Eileen

• Posted

Good morning Eileen, at least I hope that it is.

Woke up to a crisp morning with clear skies, beautiful, warm sunshire and I felt good. This may not sound unusual but it is. I'm working on reducing my reaction to stressful situations, particularly those that stir up very strong feelings, usually to organisations over whom I will never have any influence and who are run by brainless cretins. There, that's as angry as I'm permitting myself to get. Apparently stress is another item which causes imbalance in your osteo system and causes calcium to be transferred into the bloodstream to neutralise the nasties that anger and stress generate.

My daughter is 44 and is unmarried, probably never will be and there will probably never be any grandchildren so I shall be the last but one of my line. It doesn't really matter because it's a convoluted and very twisted line anyway and is untraceable without significant DNA searching, probably on the continent. Anyway, she trained as a lawyer with a good law degree and then during her first employment, came down with viral meningitis which left M.E. in it's wake and she is virtually unemployable because of her need to rest and the joint pain that she has. There's nothing wrong with her brain and she is permanently searching for things which might do me or Pauline some good. Her tongue gets plenty of exercise as well, usually when I'm tring to reply to posts. ( She has her own flat but spends some time and meals with us).

Got a very long and comprehensive post from Anhaga (Jean) this morning and I need to go over it carefully again because there was some good stuff in it and later I'll ask her if I can pick out some things and pass them around our community.

It's very odd about your leg with agony. I though that non-specific merely meant that they haven't a clue (and that's without anger) which may be true. These people aren't miracle workers and without more definite information they probably can't put a name to it. Hope that the doctor is correct and that it clears up quickly, you don't need that on holiday with you.

Have already been shopping this morning and town is heaving. The Yorkshire bike ride is taking place in our area today and it seems that it is generating a lot of extra traffic.

Big black clouds overhead now!!!

Will chat again soon

Kindest regards

Colin

• Posted

Hello Carrie and a very good morning to you.

I guess that you will have seen the post to Eileen with some of my chat and news. I keep trying to find more time to read the books but there are just not enough hours in the day.

I'm keeping faith with my exercise regime and will be doing my steps and jumping in a few mnutes before the weather turns to rain or worse.

It's not so easy to keep faith with the food and nutrients although I am getting there slowly. I keep making notes for myself which are supposed to jog my memory later and they do when I make time to concentrate on what's been happening.

I'm still giving Pauline a significant part of my time, partly because she needs it and mostly because I've always enjoyed her company. I'm actually learning something about food preparation about which I had never previously shown any interest. 

It's surprising what a poke-in-the-eye wakeup call will do. Actually, I feel like I've had a new lease of life and am not quite bouncing with it - i do have to put some effort into the bouncing (lol). I hadn't realised that I was turning into a Victor Meldrew (I just don't believe it!) until my daughter came up with the likeness supported by Pauline. It seems to be a very simple thing to fix so I'll begin by doing just that, but not till after the fire's lit and the exercises are complete.

Hope that the writing is going well. I wonder if all these posts would make an interesting book. I'm falling behind with the collating, I spend too much time giving my brain and keyboard free rein.

Do take lots of care and be wary about overdoing things.

Will chat again soon

Kindest Regards

Colin.

• Posted

Hi Colin,

Thanks for that....will respond with the 'group' missive too; quick message really as loads to try and do today!

​Re Sardines; not keen!!  Ate them....but not keen on the bones really, tolerate pilchards better....may try again but don't think they will be a definite in my diet even though they are good for one!! lol

​Kiwis - thumbs up! smile  Was naughty mind and sliced one then put it on a chocolate digestive....also had one normally but like to experiment with different flavours smile 

​Talking of which I am taking a 1/2 teaspoon of manuka honey twice a day which has done wonders with my oesaphogus and is a miracle food at keeping things healthy down the gullet smile lol

​I am getting boron thru something else i am taking which is good.

​Hope your Saturday going well smile

kind regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Hi Colin

​Yes indeed, saw the reply, and I know what you mean; there aren't enough hours in the day!  As it is, the sun has come out and I was wondering whether I had time to plant some plants before another shower, but I still have a few bits to do so may run out of time!

​That is wonderful, learning more about food preparation and I am sure Pauline is appreciative of you spending more time with her.  smile  Half of it is learning....working what works and what doesn't...like me realising I am not keen on sardines! lol

​:D re your daughter and wife giving you a 'wake up call' re 'Victor Meldrew'!  I think with our illnesses and certainly with the OP it IS a wake up call...and hard to balance everything too.  I am eating my apple as I type this...trying to remember to eat a daily apple isn't always easy but it is obviously good for one so worth doing smile  Weird how some of the old wives tales seem to be holding water; like the gelatin being good at keeping us supple...and I have started my turmeric capsules which are a wonder natural remedy for all sorts of things smile  I guess it is good to know more about what we are putting in our systems.

​Writing going ok; albeit slow as I am doing rewrites at the moment, never easy!  And, again, very time consuming.  I think you collating and writing about this whole experience can only benefit not only you but all who read it smile  It is only in sharing our experience and time that we all learn smile

​Right on that note....I got washing to deal with smile

​kindest regards

Carrie  

• Posted

Hi all,

​Firstly well done on all your exercises and your 'story' Colin, something we can all benefit from smile  I am learning so much being on here smile  And bless your daughter.....I am sure you didn't really need reminding what we ladies go thru, but good on her smile  I am glad Pauline is able to find things bit easier and it is lovely you are both able to get out for such lovely walks in such - what sounds like - a lovely location smile  Brilliant news that she can be gradually weaned off the drugs....fingers crossed! smile

​Eileen, you have my full support and anything I can do let me know...even if you just need to moan, as we all do, especially when our pain is intense and difficult to manage.

​Talking of which thank you all for your support; it helps to know that others know what one is 'on' about and can make helpful suggestions smile

Colin - burble anytime!! lol :D

Kind regards to all and hope you are able to have a fairly nice weekend - weather permitting smile

​Carrie

• Posted

Hi Eileen

​Problems all around huh.  At least we have formed a little support group which I think is lovely smile

​Yes do try the gelatin, I have high hopes....plus I started my turmeric capsules, google it as it does seem to be a wonderful thing and seems to help so many ailments smile

​I have forgotten when you are off to Venice but I do hope you have a wonderful time....it is somewhere my Mum always wanted to visit but never got there....I know friends who have visited and they have shown me pictures, St Mark's square in particular looks to be quite immense smile

​Hope the injection helps.....take it gently until you get it.

Take care

kind regards

Carrie

• Posted

Hi Eileen

​oh gosh, what a weird result from the GP re your knee.....think I said in a previous posting to you, google Turmeric which may or may not help. 

​I really hope it eases for you soon.  Take care.

kind regards

Carrie

• Posted

Ah, but it's the bones in sardines that make them so good for your bones!  I used to love sardines on toast as a child.  And, fortunately, I like the little bones!  Tinned salmon with bones is also very good source of calcium.  
    • Posted

Just a general comment:-

Sunday we shall be visiting my best man and his wife to celebrate her 70th birthday. Have known her for 55 years which was when I was in digs in Hull learning to be a Radio Officer.

Won't be back 'til late so may not be posting or replying until Monday. It depends on the weather.

Regards

Aristotle

• Posted

I know sad ....wish I found them more paletable!  So weird, I don't mind the pilchards...but the sardines just .....it's an effort to eat them sad  Good that you like them smile  My Dad used to love sardines on toast too....and he also loved tinned mackerel....something else I'm not keen on sad  Don't like tinned salmon either sad  xx
    • Posted

I don't like sardines any more.  I really don't think they are as good - something in the processing.  I don't eat them, or tinned salmon.  I've been earing lots of broccoli and taking my calcium and other supplements!  I think that some of the related nutrients are as important as the calcium itself.
    • Posted

Hi Colin

We had much the same morning here.......sunny and bright but it was by no means warm

I drove to our Metro Centre and it was very warm with the sun coming through the car windows and once inside there it was OK but when i came back to the carpark {inside but cold} took ages to unpack things put them in the car then return the scooter to the shopmobility place

By the time I got into the car it was cold. but it was sunny most of the day which makes a change from the hail we've been having recently

I'm trying to work on my stress ...not quite the same reason but thats something that causes pain {arthritis} and its a circle. Stress and it causes pain then you have a lot of pain so you get stressed etc

Your daughter sounds very clever.

Is ME a similar thing to fibromyalgia? Apparently the fatigue {not just tiredness} is dreadful and when you have a bad day ....well there is one other volunteer that has it along with other things and she says she can sleep for about 14 hours, get up go to the toilet have a drink and a bit of toast and back to bed again. Thats only at the moment when she is in the middle of a real flare up

I wonder why Jean mostly sends pms rather than post on the thread?

To be honest I think thats what they mean...non specific....they dont know but wont say.

Thats why I'm hoping on Sat when the consultant sees the X Ray he will be able to translate it a bit better than the GP

He must see those particular kinds of  X Rays mor than a GP

I'm determined that "arthur" {arthritis} is not coming on holiday with us.....3 is a crowdbiggrin

I forgot about you being in Yorkshire......it will be mad with the tour

Well try to chat tomorrow

Love

Hileena

• Posted

Hello Eileen and all,

Had good day until lunchtime. We did our morning walk in spite of all the biking fraternity trying to stop it and went to the cafe early for our lunch - smoked haddock for me, omelette for Pauline, then off on our travels to the party. All went well until we got to Market Weighton and the car dumped the automatic fluid on the road. No fluid = No motion. RAC were called - around four hour wait; not a lot of choice. RAC man did find problem and fixed it and then there was a further hour charging around looking for automaitic transmission fluid, 6 litres of it. Managed eventually and drove back home but still have to get some rubbish pipes replaced with suitable ones. I don't like cowboy repair men as found in some repair centres in Scarborough. Arrived home around an hour ago and had to send grovelling appologies to best man and his wife.

Judging by the traffic coming out of Scarborough there had been thousands of people rubber-necking and generally getting in the way.

There, rant over, mustn't get stressed, causes calcium reabsorption. So if you can control yours, you can have a double whammy on your two complaints. I'm learning, I can feel the fizz starting and can now calmly stop it although it took some effort this morning.

Did some more at My Story but I do have some problems with the chronology since I took that evil drug. Still have vertigo occasionally but that is slowly disappearing or not so vicious. I also managed some more reading but I didn't anticipate having a lot of spare time this afternoon so I didn't have any books with me.

Until I get the pipes fixed I dare not trust the car so my daughter will be on the train to York on Tuesday while I try to make some repair arrangements.

Anhaga, what a shame that the taste of the fish has so much changed from what you remember. It was just a different way of getting more calcium. Luckily there are nearly always alternative supplements available and we are going to learn more about these I hope.

Carrie - I had a beautiful piece of smoked haddock with a jacket potato and salad for luch. The fish was exquisite and I followed that at evening meal-time with some smoked mackeral and corn-cakes (gluten free). I have loads of intolerances so grab what I can when I can. It can be a little awkward on occasion.

Hope that the gardening is going well along with the rewriting.

No gym today, just a little jumping. Weight is doing well at the moment.

Prunes, apple, kiwi-fruit, zinc, calcium and aim to get some folic acid.

Building all these up gradually.

Apparently ME is a similar thing to fibromyalgia in some respects but if you google it then you get mixed opinions and I would say similar but definitely NOT the same.

I guess Arthur will be getting a taste of Exclibur when that needle eventually goes in (not really funny and nearly as bad a taste as Anhaga's fish)

I'm burbling again. Tired, better go

Best regards

Colin.

• Posted

Hi Colin

I was coming off line when I saw your message. Thought I would answer.

Just think of the economy that those bikers and the tour will bring  biggrin

It is dreadful when yolur car breaks down and you have to hang around for hours. Good that you rememberd not to stress

Going on to fish........I'm a vegetarian.....so no fish, meat etc. If it has a face you dont eat itcheesygrin

Just a short one tonight....I'm shattered

Eileen

• Posted

The private messages were to do with my reference-laden "Osteoporosis Journey".  Anyone who hasn't read it yet, please let me know and I'll share.  wink
    • Posted

I have sent a link to Anhaga regarding a report on Bisphsphonates. I found it quite interesting. Anyone else want a copy, let me know

Regards

Colin

PS. Car broke again, going out to get some bits!

• Posted

I might have helped if I had spelt Excalibur correctly (mmm is it u or e?).
    • Posted

Hello All

Back in business again.  Things never come in ones or twos and this time is no exception. Two days of car problems followed by the loss of a hard drive on the third day. It's not been a good week so far. But not all is doom and gloom. I have the rest of the day to myself, Pauline and daughter are at York hospital so it's up to the gym (last session was last Friday and then the Mayday holiday intervened) so I've got some sessions to make up for although I did some jumping on my home made step. My weight is actually slowly reducing on average as well. It seems that exercise helps to reduce the water retention. The Book also states that being overweight is not such a bad thing since you are likely to have stronger bones "Fatter women had stronger bones", It doesn't mention men!

There had been a slight downside to coming off the AA and that is that my nails which had become quite strong and tough, are now brittle, chipping, flaking and breaking off which is a nuisance but long term will be a small price to pay for not having brittle bones.

The chewable calcium tablets, two per day at 1500mg each should give me twice the 'More Ideal Intake', along with the 800 I.U. of vitamin D which is at the top end of the 'More Ideal Intake' so I'm getting there. I boost the vitamin D intake with 5000 I.U. every other day plus a bit from sunlight. The vitamin K2-MK7 supplement, one per day, has 75 microgram which is 100% of the NRV (Nutrient reference value). The dried prunes for the boron are recommended as six per day and I have those before breakfast. I have a kiwifruit every evening after our meal and I like them. I just sit and peel and slice and consume. Lots of good things in them. It's wild alaskan salmon & salad for lunch so that's mostly another plus. I'm still determined that I will not go back on that engine cleaner. However, there are new moves afoot to come up with less damaging alternatives. Unfortunately I shall be 100 years old before they will be available to us.

I'll burble some more when I have something to bore you with.

Hope that you are all happy and thriving.

Kindest regards

Colin

• Posted

I must remember the apples, bananas, magnesium and zinc. The zinc that I take is 15mg which is at the bottom end of the more ideal intake, The magnesium is 400mg which is 20% above the lower more ideal intake. I'm slowly working through the rest of the list and recognise that this is going to take some time but I shall get there. The recommendation is that everyone bring all their intake levels up to the RDA and keep in mind the more ideal intake.

I spent a good hour at the gym this morning and managed to cover the abductor, the adductor, the leg press, the leg extender and the rotary knee as well as the cross-trainer and stepper. Only 15mins overall on the cross-trainer & stepper, felt a little tired. I usually do the latter first but the machine was in use so I did the others first. Obviously not a good idea. I did the 50 jumps on and off the step as well as 50 step on, step off exercises and the same carrying 12 kg weights with some walking with them as well. Finished off with calf stretches and then back home. Will go again tomorrow to get back into the routine that I usually follow.

Going outside to chop some wood and cut the grass now followed by light the fire and get my tea which will be guacamole with corncakes today.

That's it for now, will be writing a bit more of the total story this evening. I need to get that done and then we get the proposed discussion under way.

Bye for now

Kindest regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi All

Sorry for delay but been slightly busy time and with the sun out today wanted to take advantage of the dry weather to get some gardening done and get some Vit D smile

I know I have a few messages to catch up on - apologies.

​Colin, well done on all your exercises and diet....well impressed you are sticking so well to the fish etc; but I am so sorry about your car sad  SUCH a nuisance when things go wrong and sounds like a very frustrating and tiring wait for the RAC man sad  Weirdly I have just renewed my membership with them this pm...not that I am driving quite yet but I am hoping it won't be long now, my wrists are strengthening nicely...still some issues and I want to be sure and be safe smile  Interestingly I got my renewal thru at a higher price....so rang them....and they 'managed' to get it back to what I am paying!!  Funny eh! wink lol  Just shows, if one rings and asks, they capitulate smile lol

​Writing went on hold slightly too; but am hoping to get back to it tomorrow smile  Always nice to stretch the imagination and think about stories whilst out in nature smile

​Ooh whilst I am thinking about it, I checked into kiwi fruit...which seemed to bring on my heartburn....and they have a high salicylate acid content which can aggravate in some ppl....they bring on my youngest nephew's hives, so I won't be buying any more of those.  Apples great though, interestingly the Golden Delicious variety are the ones lower in salicylate acid....

​Still can't work up any enthusiasm for prunes!!!! wink lol

​M.E. and Fibro do get lumped together unfortunately and jury out .....but as everyone differs in their exact symptoms, it seems the medical community will stay baffled for now sad

​Eileen I hope you are feeling bit better and in slightly less pain....it is this coming Sat for the injection isn't it?  I hope you can get thru this week ok.  Weather due to be bit nicer so be interesting to see if it helps our OA.

​Anhaga....do you know if lentils and buckwheat good for OP?  Just recently added them to my diet smile  And does anyone know if omega 3 supplement would work just as well as not eating the oily fish?? 

​Sorry if I've missed anything, will try and catch up.  Hope everyone ntb.

kind regards

Carrie

• Posted

Hi Colin, yes please, thank you smile  All information useful!

​Carrie xx

• Posted

Hi Colin

​Hope Pauline and your daughter got on ok at the hospital ...and good that your weight is improving....it is good for our bones to have more muscle etc....something I need to improve upon as I am under weight sad

​Will try and reply in more detail tomorrow as got family here....I just didn't want ppl thinking I'd disappeared!!  sad re your hard drive....computers huh....great when they work! lol

Spk soon smile

​kind regards Carrie

• Posted

Lentils and buckwheat both have good nutritional profiles on the internet.  I did note that lentils appear to be a good source of zinc, as some concern has been expressed about whether we get enough or not.  Both lentils and buckwheat provide other minerals like copper, etc.  Look up a website that has the worlds healthiest foods, sorry can't post link.
    • Posted

Hi Carrie, thanks for the good wishes - daughter's lump turned out to be a cyst in a milk gland and it's not expected to be a problem, so relief all round.  Pauline still a little stressed and attacking the chocolate! All is quietening and I'm writing up my vitamins etc to add to my story.

Enjoy your families visit.

Kindest regards

Colin.

• Posted

Hi

​Quick msg....yes am on the magnesium/apples, zinc etc....though am wondering about now upping my magnesium levels but will have a think first, not sure without checking what mg dose I am on.

​I'm in awe of all your gym work, esp considering I am still even trying to build up my arms/shoulders from breaking my wrists....still baby steps.

Enjoy tea and chopping wood smile

​kindest regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Hia,

​Thanks for that smile  That is good to know that lentils are a good source of zinc...no worries re the link, yes I'll google and find out more smile  But does sound like overall good to have added to my diet smile

kind regards Carrie

• Posted

Hi Colin,

Such a relief for you all, I know myself what a worry these things can be.

​Don't blame Pauline for attacking the chocolate....sometimes chocolate works best!! wink lol 

​Take care....kindest regards, Carrie

• Posted

Sorry, nearly missed this msg....that is interesting re the sardines....I don't like salmon either...will stick with my pilchards, which I quite enjoy.  I seem to have gone off fish quite a bit. 

​Broccoli is something I try to eat quite a bit of....I must look into the Omega 3, 6 9 supplement and see if the calcium, etc, is just as good from that in which case I will try and get hold of some.

Enjoy your evening smile

​kind regards Carrie

• Posted

I'd actually written a much more detailed reply but hit something and it vanished.  Couldn't face retying.    redfacerolleyes
    • Posted

Hi Eileen, Jean, Carrie, Kathleen, Faith

Hope that you are all well and enjoying life.

I have regained my composure and have put behind me the stress from the last couple of days. Can't afford to lose any more calcium. I'm hoping to get a printout of the blood tests from the cardio-vascular clinic MOT that I underwent last week. If I can get a copy of these I might get some idea of how the supplements are affecting the levels in the blood.

I'm not sure if it will really tell me much but I have last year's figures filed somewhere for comparison.

Eileen I do hope that your pain is easing a little. Continuous pain causes brain fog and dulls all the other senses and I do feel for you. It's a good job that you have a supportive family.

Jean, I don't know what the Mods didn't like but they deleted your post.

Kathleen, hope that you are doing well, you are so right about the dangers of AA. Every day I get more examples of the bad associated with it.

Carrie, I hope that you find time to get those nature thoughts down onto paper.

Faith, it would be nice to hear from you again.

Regards

Colin

• Posted

Been there & done that. I ought to make a text copy before I post it so that I don't have to retype what I can't remember!
    • Posted

I'm glad it's not just me that has trouble on here sad  I've taken to copying and pasting my replies before hitting the reply button in case they vanish so i can retry! lol wink xx
    • Posted

Hi All

​Colin, I really hope that your blood tests have shown some improvement for all your efforts.....when we get results it feels like we are headed in the right direction smile

​You are so right, stress doesn't help and you have certainly been through it past few days with your car, and the hard drive....it is so hard to find a good balance when we are up against things and problems manifest at alarming speed sad  Well done on regaining your  equilibrium so to speak.

​Eileen, like Colin, do hope your pain is bit easier.

kind regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Good idea.  I've thought of doing that whenever I think there might be something filtered - except things that I wouldn't have thought were questionable get caught.  
    • Posted

Hi Everyone

Sorry I've been AWOL......does anyone else have problems with this site?

Quite frequently I get messages saying it isnt responding and it just freezes?

Anyway......Colin that was good news about the slight lump I'm sure you are all very relieved.

As for Pauline attacking the chocolate......well a lot of females do that {inc me}biggrin

Carrie......yes Sat is the day. I'm hopeful but only if they do it in the correct knee!!!!

I'll go and read some more and hope that it lets me back in again

Take care everyone

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hia,

​I just got fed up waiting for what I'd written to come up, as it just showed 'waiting.....', so weirdly if I copy prior, come off, come in again, and paste it usually works.  No idea why!!!

​Enjoy the sun and have a good day smile

kind regards Carrie

• Posted

Morning Eileen,

​Yes I do, and it is very frustrating sad  As I just mentioned to Anhaga, for some strange reason, if I copy, come off, then paste when i come back on it quite often works.  But ....weirdly.....sometimes if I do that as a 'back-up' for me, then it posts with no problem ?!!  No rhyme or reason! lol

​Oh gosh, will keep my fingers crossed for Sat for you....maybe you could use a marker on your knee saying 'this one!!!' ....wink comes to something when the medics don't always choose the correct limb.  Take it gently for the next few days and good luck smile

​I am off to try and enjoy some sunshine smile  And good ol' Vitamin D.....and maybe try a few gentle exercises smile 

​love Carrie 

• Posted

You know, Carrie and Eileen64, marking the correct knee is a good idea.  My stepmother was a nurse (in UK) and she said whenever there was to be an operation on a body part that came in right and left versions there was always a bit of tape put on or over affected part while patient was conscious - this way no one lost the wrong eye or whatever.  It hit home when my father was operated on for lung cancer (in US) and they opened up the wrong side of his body, cutting through all his ribs before realizing it was the wrong side and having to stitch him up and do the same thing on the other side.  Under anaesthetic for twice as long, which did him no good at all.  I'd maybe use a marker to draw a little happy face saying "this one", or something like that.
    • Posted

Hi All

​Yes....it wasn't until my wrist operation in January when they marked my arm that I suddenly thought...oops! lol  Your stepmum had wise advice....you can use a marker pen or something Eileen, at least you will know for certain and you could also mention to the nurse/Dr asking them to mark it too smile  Take care all smile 

kind regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Further to your excellent idea, I would also mark the knee not being operated on as 'NOT THIS ONE' , just a bit of Belt and Braces, This fits in with my philosophy of 'Trust no-one, not even yourself, and give as much information as possible'. My father-in-law almost lost a kidney because of the sort of mix-up that you're anticipating.

I'll be back - things to do & places to go.

Colin

• Posted

Hi

Well I've had 2 replacements {hips} and both times they have used marker pen and put a massive L or R on whichever one wsas to be done

Thats dreadful about your father.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Carrie

I have just sent a post to Jean about my 2 Hip replacements {Marker pen was used}

The onlything is I dont know which one should be injected this time|??

Its the left one thats not as sore but hasthe arthritis, the right one is agony but doesnt have arthritis according to the X Ray.

I'll ask the consultant before hand and see what he says. Go by his advice

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Eileen, could the pain in the non-arthritic hip be referred pain from elsewhere, most likely the spine?  
    • Posted

Hi Eileen and Anhaga

​good thinking from Anhaga...could be related pain.  Be thinking of you on Sat Eileen and yea guess you will have to see what the consultant says.  Could it be muscle pain or soft tissue??  That can be painful too as I well know.  sad  Good luck Eileen.

​love Carrie

• Posted

Hi it certainly could be referred.......before I had my 2nd hip replacement 2 specialists disagreed. Was the pain referred from back to hip or hip to back.......this went on for months

So anything is possible

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Carrie

Thanks for tyour thoughts. and yes it could be anything.

All I can do is ask the consultant on Sat

Where do you have muscle pain?

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Isn't that annoying?  What do you think?  What do your x-rays show?  Anyway, best of luck! ❤🍀
    • Posted

Hi Eileen,

​I have M.E./Fibromyalgia, osteo-arthritis, OP, .....and am still trying to get the soft tissue in my left wrist loose and mobile after having the operation in January after breaking both wrists last December (hey at least I got out of cooking! lol trying to be bright about it!) I had 3 pins put in my left wrist to keep the bone in place, and unfortunately the soft tissue still - even with physio - is a bit stubborn ...and my ring finger is 'bent' as I was told not to move it after the op, though the nurses said wiggle fingers the surgeon said don't, so I unfortunately followed his advice, and still have inflammation in the left wrist.  It is gradually getting there - I hope! - but is taking its tme sad

​I will be thinking of you on Sat, and really hope it all goes ok and you are in less pain after.

​love Carrie

• Posted

Hi Carrie,

I knew about the OA and the OP and the fibro but didnt pick up the bit about your wrist....so sorry you are having promles with that.

I've got plate, pins, and screws in my ankle ....happened 6 years ago and  now I have arthritis in it.....but 6 years on I still have the metal work in it.....the OP was awful and he said the pinsw plate etc didnt have to come out unless they caused problems...eg an infection.....I said if they dont bother me I wont bother thembiggrin so they are still there.

The only other real pain I have was after my 2nd THR when I fractured the greater trochanter bone { weeks postop} thats when I discovered I had osteoporosis not just osteopinia. So crutches permanently but the pain is hard to get on top of. Consultant gave me injections which worked for a while then we had a temp. GP who talked me into going onto a small dose of MST {morphine} it worked but now that is getting very sore again so I'm going to ring the consultant who did the THr next week. He said the GP seems to have got it under control {which he had} so I'll discharge you but you know where I am if you need me....ring my secretary. So next week {after Sat!!!} thats what I'll do.

All the rest of my arthritis is controlled ...I've got all the other bits down to more of an ache than aa pain.

I do hope you physio works for you.......My physio...she just says do an exercise {tells me what to do and thats it} no more appointments!!!

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Oh so do I...thats what they seem to have done with you....well maybe not specialists but medics!

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi

I dont know what the X Ray shows.......Saw the GP and he just said that arthritis in the Left knee...not surprising to me

The second one he gave me the result over the phone......Just its NOT arthritis.....its non specific. I'm assuming the consultant will be able to see the X Ray and tell me more clearly on Sat

Where is the pain?Left one that has the arthritis...patella but not bad.

Right one {non specific} Patella, down the outside of my leg, inside of my leg and wherever the pain feels like going???

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello everyone, I'e found a few minutes with nothing sheduled so I did a bit of raking around again. Been reading the book, particularly the bits on calcium and vitamin D3. All forms of nutrient should be of the highet quality and the most easily absorbed variety. Calcium Citrate should be used instead of calcium carbonate but is not the easiest type to obtain and the dosage is sometimes significantly different from that with which I am  familiar. One version has you chomping 4 huge pills a day.

Calcium should not be taken with iron for several reasons. One is that iron and calcium compete for absorption and calcium wins, so calcium should be taken separately from iron. The second is that iron tends to oxidise and damage other nutrients. The third is that iron can accumulate in the body and should only be taken if one is actually deficient in the mineral.

So what is the best Calcium & vitamin D combination, preferably the citrate variety. I'm open to private messages on the subject.  I sent a private message to Faith some days ago and it hasn't been read yet so she may be deep in the book or not as into this as I thought she was.

I've been quite deep into reading all the literature I've collected and the concensus seems to be tha OP is a condition and not a disease and it can be changed and even reversed with the proper treatment. There is a post in 'Any one had a Dexa scan that showed improvement in bone', by Vee2 and there, the osteoporosis has been reduced to osteopenia and if the process continues the outlook should be a cure! This should give a lift to all those attempting to become well again.

I didn't manage to do any jumps today, they will have to wait until tomorrow at the gym. I think that I commented earlier that a neighbour had dumped his old shed on my driveway for me to break up and use as kindling, well, today I had to make a way through for the bins and the postman, so I exercised my prowess at breaking things and demolished one wal down to its constituent parts. I did enough steps and jumps and weight training yesterday to cover what I hadn't time for today. My time at the gym is now up to two hours, some of which is spent spreading the word about the possibility of cure of our affliction.

I did make time to read the latest posts and I wish Eileen well and hope that the injection is successful. Pauline has been overusing her knee and she is having to remember that it is still not cured, only ameliorated somewhat. We shall be doing our south bay walk tomorrow as usual after I've earned the time off to recover.

I had another lift this morning, since coming off the AA I have now lost six pounds weight without even trying, so things should seem easier. I do miss the chocolate, one square a day of 85% cocoa doesn't really hit the parts that other chocolate used to reach.

I've also followed the book's recommendation and got some folic acid to be going on with. It's supposed to get rid of the by-products of anger and anxiety and stop the calcium in the bones being dissolved to cure it instead. I'm slowly ticking off the items as I progress through the book. It could take a long time yet. I managed to progress my story again but it also takes time searching for the correct dates so that the chronology is correct.

Carrie, I hope that you are well and not overdoing things, I gather that you like choclate as well & it's not only females, usually the males do it in secret - you should have seen my easter bunny!

Anhaga, what a star coming up with a simple idea like the marker pen. I wonder what the docs will make of that!

Going to do a bit more researching - till tomorrow

Bye all

Sincerest regards

Colin

• Posted

Because I'm taking prednisone I take calcium hydroxyapatite which is supposed to be better absorbed by people on steroids.  It's in a special bones supplement with some of the other micronutrients needed.  I used to take calcium citrate, which was available (with D3 and magnesium) from our local health foods store which has a large selection of supplements and knowlegeable staff.  

confused

• Posted

I've not heard of that one but I ought to give the local shops a try, searching the on-line shops doesn't seem to come up with what I'm after getting, and of course I'm still learning and trying to come up with the best.

Thanks so much for replying

Colin

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

​Wise not to mess with stuff unless you have too.  Yes, wasn't a nice time sad  but then we are all suffering in different ways.  The medics were uncertain whether I would have to have something to stay in my wrists to hold the bone or not - apparently they had long discussions about me! Joy, eh! wink lol  Not sad  In the end it was decided to put the pins in and have them taken out (scary ....didn't end up hurting as I thought, as no anaesthetic or anything!! lol But very unsettling! .......but I feel for you having all that to put up with sad

​I am just reading the book Colin recommended ...all about the trochanter bones.....amazing what the human body is made up of when we think about it.  Anyway, you are really suffering with it all, the pain is obviously immense sad  - side issue, not sure whether I mentioned before, but I have started a turmeric treatment which is supposed to help inflammation and pain, only on day one of the Golden Paste homemade rather than the capsules, but be interesting to see if it helps the pain.  If you are interested I can tell you more smile  Must be very hard for you with crutches too sad  Good thinking to ring your consultant after Saturday.  They do seem to be quite happy to see us if we are having problems.....my follow up orthopaedic appt is now an open one for next 6 months in case which is like a security blanket in place.  Not that I hope to need it! lol

​At least you have the rest of your arthritis under control which is good.  Can't remember, do you suffer when there is a change in the weather like me?  Seems some ppl do and some don't.

​Not sure how much longer my physio will want to continue.....I'm still doing the exercises and trying to get movement back as best I can.  Your physio must be pleased if no more appointments smile  Or....am I getting wrong end of the stick?!

​Take care Eileen....love Carrie

• Posted

Really hope you get more answers after Sat re the other knee.......very frustrtaing and painful xx
    • Posted

Hi Colin,

​Quick reply as very tired tonight.  I have started 'the book' and find it very interesting....I think it will prove very useful as well as informative, so thank you smile  I was seeing a homeopath last year, re various stuff, and she mentioned the best form of calcium to take, I will try and find it and let you know.  Certainly the body needs a certain form as best to get into our systems.  Have you tried Amazon?

​Really interesting that we my beat this OP.....we have to have hope.  And if it has been improved with some ppl, than why not all of us.

​I empathise with Pauline, it is so easy to overdo....I hope it eases for her.  And well done on being able to do 2 hours at the gym....I have attempted the odd bit of tap dancing in the kitchen (I used to do a lot of dancing), so am hoping that has a similar effect to jumping smile  I am only into early pages in the book as other stuff gets in the way.....and amongst other bits, gardening does seem to be a good way of getting a bit of exercise in smile

​Absolutely re the chocolate - it has so many benefits..especially the dark chocolate which is supposed to be good for one smile lol  I am researching as best I can as time allows....but will be fascinated to hear how you get on and interested in finding out.  Is your story on here?  Or is it something you are doing as a record?  Apologies if you have said, my memory is like a sieve at times with the Fibro/M.E.

​Spk soon, take care, kindest regards Carrie

• Posted

No They just X rayed 2 knees.

About 5 years ago I had my back X Rayed.....to do with SI joint {fracture}

I've had numbeous MRI's which as well as hips have inclued back but this time NO

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Carrie,

This particular physio is a bit lax.....seems to think its enough to see me once and tell me what to do and let me get on with it

I do suffere in damp or certain kinds of cold weather but I know what it is and it will go soon biggrin

I'm happy enough to have the metal in.....the OP putting it in was dreadful so I thought ....well leave it if they are happy to. They did say {6 years ago} any problems go straight back to them and they would sort it but apart from getting arthritis in it no other problems. If you have arthritis anyway it always heads for the weakest point. This was an accident where a car knocked me down reversed over my ankle then drove over it so it was well smashed.

I can cope with the crutches.....would rather not have them......but if i could get rid of the painI would be fine.

I have the rest of the arthiritis under control like I say.  I'm a volunteer for arthritis care and am at stands and explain to people about how to self manage their arthritis.......but not manageing very well myself with the kneewink

I do hope I get clearer answers after Sat

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Eileen, as you know where the injury was could you find out which nerves are likely to have been affected?  Dr google indicates that problems with SI joint can cause pain in hip.  So that would be where the cortisone shot would need to go in order to obtain pain relief, if it is indeed the source of the pain.  Are you getting exercises to strengthen the core (which will help your spine)?
    • Posted

Hi

I'm just going to leave it until tomorrow.....if after that I'm not happy I'll google

The fractured trochanter bone happened when I was doing an NHS exercise and have had cortisone injections injections since that {2 and a half years} first one worked the rest didnt.

As for exercise The only exercise I am getting is........a physio who hhas given me one exercise to do and left me to get on with it and that is tone the muscles in the top of the leg??

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Carrie,

Glad to hear that you have started ploughing through the book and are finding it interesting. I found the early pages fascinating and it gradually became more deeply into things which suited me but took a lot longer to read. I'm still only at page 259 but do use the reference section at the back as well.

Tried Amazon for the Calcium citrate but either I didn't know enough to recognise what they were telling me or the information was such that I couldn't determine the correct one to go for.  As Anhaga suggests, I'm going to have a look in the local nutrient store and see if they can help. I have to admit to being a bit sceptical about their abilities (based on past enquiries) but will give them a go and see how I get on.

I thought that you may like the post where the poster is actually improving. I intend to be in that category later this year and if not, it won't be for want of trying.

Went to the gym again today and had a good session, 250 calories on the cross-trainer / stepper and felt quite good after that. Now able to double jump, that is, jump on and without stopping, jump off. Managed 60 of those and around 100 step-on & off , 50 of them with 12 Kgm weights. I also did all the other usual things and finished off with a try at the 14 kg weights. Managed a quick 10 steps and found it not too bad so will be using those weights next week with fewer steps.

We dis our walk down through the gardens and along the sea-front to the little cafe on the fish pier. The sea was almost like a mirror but there was a slight haze which made the horizon indistinct but the whole effect was very calming and quite beautiful.

Enough of boring everyone, I just hope that all this exercise and special foods and supplements does what it is supposed to do.

This exercise regime seems to fit the suggested weight training and along with the supplements, I'm hopeful for the future.

My story is still on my PC and is being added to daily. I hope to publish it in the conversation that we talked about creating. I need a little more time though, I'm still trying to find stuff in old diaries and then fit it in correctly. I also find enjoyment in reading all the posts and also typing in my epistle. Pity that it all uses so much time!

Carrie,  you seem to be quite chipper at the moment and where do you get all the time and energy from? There's some interesting writing here that would almost make a book! Ginkgo is supposed to help with memory problems.

Eileen, our best wishes and high hopes go with you tomorrow. We just hope that there is an end benefit to your injection. It would be good if your holiday was very much pain free or at least reduced.

Anhaga, I've arranged to tour our local supplement shop with a list and a pad and pen so I may find what I'm looking for. It would help if I was certain about the items. There might be a bit of careful try it and see.

Best wises to all

Kindest regards

Colin

• Posted

Are you looking for a calcium supplement, specifically?  The one I used for years, before prednisone, contains calcium citrate, Vitamin D3 and magnesium.  I forget, have you told us where you live?
    • Posted

Just looked at the bottle.  It also contains potassium, zinc and manganese, all as citrates.  There's a warning that zinc supplementation can cause copper deficiency.  The dosage leads me to believe that this particular supplement is designed to maintain good health, not as therapy to correct health issues, but I thought you might be interested in the kinds of elements that are in the capsules.
    • Posted

Hi Eileen,

​Firstly apologies if I don't reply straight away; Life is getting a bit muddled my end and I seem to be trying to juggle lots of stuff - including health and people! 

​Hm....yes I agree your physio does seem a bit lax sad  Any chance you can ask to be seen by someone else?

​Yes, like you, my joints flare with change of weather temperature, and yes, I tend to know 'the reason' and just wait it out, moving my joints as best I can.  Arthritis does head for the weakest joint sad  All we can do is all we can do huh.

​OUCH re the car sad  Horrific sad 

​Fingers crossed for tomorrow for you smile

Been 'juggling my balls' today - but at least Saturday tomorrow smile

Take care,

​love Carrie

• Posted

Yes, It seems that you know my mind better than I do! I need the specification of the supplement (which sounds good) so that I can compare with what I am supposed to be taking.  I am in Scarborough, UK,

Regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin,

​As I just mentioned to Eileen, apologies if I don't respond straight away but am 'juggling' lots of stuff including health so Life can seem a bit overwhelming at times sad  Always respond when I can smile

​Am hoping to take some time to sit in the garden tomorrow and carry on reading the book....2 birds so to speak, Vit D too wink lol  It is fascinating smile  I think I'll learn a lot thru it as well as hopefully lead to a fitter, healthier lifestyle and fight the OP smile  Defo like the post OP improving smile We have to have hope and if following the advice works, then it is worth it smile  I did have a quick look re my homeopath's suggestion about the calcium but haven't found the letter yet - will keep looking and let you know when I do, but good luck with the health food store and hopefully they can offer some advice too.

​Wow - in awe of your exercises, especially the jumping!  Well done :DAnd your walks do sound lovely and relaxing as well as being beneficial smile  I do wish I lived closer to the sea, I'm sure the sea air on top of everything else would help too smile

​LOL re being chipper - not sure about that, but just trying to balance things as best as work/rest/play/health/friends/ etc etc!  I really don't have a huge amount of energy but do seem to be able to do slightly more at moment which I am pleased about smile  Trying to take advantage of it whilst I can smile  Never know when a flare may hit.  I hope your daughter isn't suffering too much.  M.E./Fibro can be so debhilitating.....adding to my supplements and gradually increasing my pacing helped me...but there are still times when I am knocked for six so to speak.  Funnily enough I did try Ginkgo once, but it didn't suit me.  Swings and roundabouts isn't it, we try certain things and hope.  I have increased my turmeric, and made the 'Golden Paste' and have found that coconut oil is supposed to really help with our immune systems as well as fighting anti bacterial and anti viral, as well as Ginger.  Papayas are good too, and I have discovered I like them smile  Oh and the natural Gelatin which is supposed to help 'grease the joints' - jury out but not upsetting my system so will continue in the hope it helps smile

​Will be fascintating reading your story as and when smile

Take care and enjoyyour weekend smile

kindest regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Sounds good, any chance of more details - we need information like the copper-zinc link. The more information we gather, the higher the chances of success.

Thanks Jean

Colin

• Posted

Hi again, Colin, hope you read this as I did a long reply to you that is being moderated apparently ?? lol  I didn't include any links so presume too many spaces or something.

​Eileen, you fractured a trochanter bone WHILST doing an NHS exercise?  Oh my goodness, that is Hi again,  Colin hope you see this as I wrote a long reply but it is being moderated scary sad

​Could your GP suggest anybody to help with exercising the muscles if the physio not good....or ask to be referred again?  I know I mentioned this in a previous msg but was shocked to see how easily a bone can break just doing an NHS exercise.

DO take care.

​Love Carrie

• Posted

Carrie - Saw that the mods had got you, It may get released tomorrow.

Regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin,

Hope so!  Cn't remember what I put! lol

​Anhaga has a good idea re the chat room as we do seem to have become a rather lovely small support group.....not sure how we start though...did click on the link but not sure how we could ensure we all get on ! lol  Need to come off here and rest my back smile

kind regards

​Carrie

• Posted

OK.  What I'll do now is look at my "bones" supplement.  I had better private message the details, but I can tell you that the total calcium dosage in the supplement I take now is about twice the maximum recommended dose of the one outlined above.  These are Canadian products, but I can't imagine there would be much difference except possibly vocabulary.
    • Posted

We just join the forum the same way we joined Alendronic Acid, or Osteoporosis.
    • Posted

Hello Carrie, you got past the mods at last! And what an interesting post it was. Can't see why they felt the need to hold it up. Not to worry about slow responses, this is totally voluntary and we participate as and when, we can. I look forward to any posts that have some interesting content but only reply when it's convenient and when I have something to say or waffle about. If I may comment, you really do seem to have a very positive outlook and that is so nice to observe to the extent that it gives me a lift and increases the determination to do well and try to help with the very human project that 'we', the little support group, are progressing.

Regarding the exercises, I sometimes have a twinge of concience about mentioning what I manage to do. I don't want to seen to be knocking those who are currently less able to take part in such activities but I really have surprised myself because I never thought that I had enough 'go' to achieve what I have. I just hope that the end result is what we expect. I had a gym session this morning, doing all the usual things except that the weights are now at the 14kg level. It will stay there for at least a couple of weeks.

My daughter is going through a bad patch at the moment and has horrific nightmares and substantial amounts of joint pain, the two things seemingly related. Her doctor seems to be at a loss as to how to proceed since he has tried all of the usual medications and therapies with no success at all.

I knew about ginger having medicinal properties (It's particularly good for travel sickness) but haven't come across papayas. I need to do some more checking up. Also going to check up on manganese since I have come across that several times in the book so I need to know more..

My story is progressing nicely but I am actually using paper and pencil because I'm a bit fed up with bad software trashing things. It takes longer to copy to a file but at least I have a hard copy.. I have a very full and busy life these days and I really enjoy taking part in the discussions. I shall gradually migrate to the Strong Bones Support Group discussion and just come back here for information and more personal chats.

Going gardening for a bit while the sun is out (vitamin D3).

Did enjoy the weekend

Take care

Kindest regards

Colin.

• Posted

Hi Carrie,

A few minutes ago, I received the following post from Eileen:

Hi, Whowever gets this message first please pass it on. I'm having promblems with the site so I'm coming off altogether. Also its chaotic here I did post a message but it wouldnt go through

Love

Eileen

The is Colin now:

I have sent a reply and a PM with an email address in case she wants to chat sometime. I shall miss her.

Kindest regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin,

​I've just responded on another posting.  But so sad about Eileen....maybe we will entice her back at some stage.......I do hope she is ok...if you message her or hear from her please pass on my love and tell her to take care.

Bit chaotic my end too hence not being on so much recently .....but hopefully I will be able to catch up soon!

​Take care, kindest regards Carrie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.