Brain fog is ruining my life. Please help...

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 4 months ago. My employer kindly made reasonable adjustments by reducing my hours but because things didn't improve (mainly my cognitive ability to keep up with things) I was advised to resign. I was advised against my case going to a capability panel as the outcome wouldn't likely be in my favour. There was no where for me to be redeployed as there was no where for me to go.

So now I am unemployed and I feel totally lost. How am I meant to get another job if my brain won't take anything in? I do puzzles and quizzes to try and encourage my brain but I just can't do it. I have to work as I've just got a new house and a new car and my husband earns too much to claim any sort of benefit but not enough to live on.

I am so low at the moment. I've lost a job that I loved and I'm fed up of people saying that I shouldn't be miserable because I have the car; the house; the loving family...... I've just lost my identity and my contribution to society is just another unemployed waste of space......

Can anyone shine a light.....?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh by the way I agree to your last comment there's your answer have a range of children live with various persons problem solved lol
  • Posted

Hi.  I have been in the same position for a few years now.  Desperately unhappy at work as my brain was making it impossible to function well enough.

I eventually resigned as I was also travelling on the train every day and things got just too much.  I have been offered a job with the NHS and am just waiting for Occupational Health to give the go ahead and I should start work shortly.  It is for a lot less money and I do worry about how I will cope financially but it is near home and a lot less demanding. Although not a perfect solution, I would rather be broke than unhappy every day.  Hugs xx

• Posted

Lots of luck to you.  At least with the NHS they will already know about my fibro up front (if OH give me the go ahead).  Fingers crossed for both of us.  xx
  • Posted

DearStephanie 1972

Can you remember when this condition first began were you 1) extraordinarily tired/2-been using the computer a lot in the dark hours of the winter days without using the screen adjustment programme.3/ can you remember being under unusual pressure just before this happened.

Apart from those have you ever had a similar experience before and if possible under what circumstances, eg winter/summer. Someone suggested relaxation tapes might help but I would have to go back to the moment it first happened and try to tie it in with something.

Hoping you find a quick remedy,

Brenda

• Posted

Hi. The only thing I remember is that it was the morning after my daughter's 11th birthday party. But it wasn't any more or any less stressful than the other previous birthdays....
  • Posted

Hi Stephanie...So sorry to read you have lost your job, I totally understand what you are going through. I were diagnosed nearly 4 years ago, and I suffer with fibro fog really badly. People who don't understand our illness just don't know wht we are going through. I have miserable, low weeks. As my husband works away, and my children don't visit me..The weeks are so long. Yes I have a car, and I live on the edge of a town..I don't go through the door all week..I know I could go out in the car, but I just can't be bothered. It is an awful way to live, but what else can you do. I hate going out on my own, as I have no one to go out with during the week.. I spend alot of time on the lap top doing cross word and word searches etc, keeps the grey matter occupied..Keep well..Anne..
    • Posted

Hi Anne. it's good to hear I'm not alone.

I'm so bored and frustrated not having a job. It's not easy finding something I know I will be able to cope with. In fact I'm not entirely sure I know what I can cope with....

I can't be bothered to go anywhere but my 13 year old daughter likes to to things and go out so I do have to force myself which is sad really.

I'm hoping my brain won't fail me completely as at the moment it feels like it's going that way......

• Posted

Hi Stephanie - I replied before about getting a job locally and taking a cut in salary, but just to say I am really scared I might not even be able to cope with that!  But I'm going to give it a try, you won't know until you give it a go! (That rhymes biggrin. xx
    • Posted

Hi. That's Exactly what I'm worried about. My husband has faith in me and says I'll be ok but I'm not so sure. ...

Good luck to you x

• Posted

Your employer was very unfair and didn't treat you well. You should be able to claim esa and possibly pip. I went sick from work last May for surgery. I didn't return to work was diagnosed oct. and was finished on ill health with my pension November. As a shop steward i can tell you you were not supported through this as you should have been. I worked for the local authority and i can't speak highly enough of the way they dealt with my case. Perhaps i was just lucky!  Everyone on this site seems to mention Magnesium and believe me it's cleared the brain fog and helped with the exhaustion i suffered with. I've still got the aches and pains but i can cope with that if ive got a clear head.
    • Posted

Hi. Thanks for the info. I am going to go to Citizens Advice about this as it's playing on my mind.... it's not like me to just accept this and walk away.

Watch this space......

• Posted

Goooooooo Stephany..well done you..:-) xxx hope and pray all goes well for you...stay strong, put all your painful hurts into this....
    • Posted

Absolutely put pain into fighting then the exhaustion is less

if nothing else will make you feel less dumped

you should be able to claim and you've worked hard you deserve a bit of money back

you need to look up brilliant site for answers to esa pip etc benefit and work all the answer you need first time costs about 18 but worth it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.