Breath smells like faeces (Poo)

Posted , 379 users are following.

I have this horrid poo smell from my mouth. I brush my teeth twice a day, floss, use Dentyl PH mouthwash, I have the best oral hygeine of anyone I know but I still have this smell. I am too embarrassed to even ask my flriends or family to tell me my breath stinks. I am becoming totally reclusive because of it. Id rather go to my GP and tell him ive got an STD. I know ive got it coz sometimes people look around and ask if ive farted, and I see people with babies smelling their nappies when I speak. It really is starting to badly affect my life but I just cant pluck up the courage ot go to my GP. How on earht can i ay \"DR, My breath smells like poo!\" Please, if anyone has any tips let me know.

43 likes, 1999 replies

1999 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Are you opening your bowels properly? Breath like this can be an indication that you are impacted with faeces
  • Posted

This has worked for me and may work for you if you are having the same root cause of bad breath which I

believe most people do. It usually comes from the tongue I am a Dental Hygienist so I see this daily. The tongue has many pits and fissures and is almost like a rug which can trap a lot of things like food, bacteria mucus. In order to clean it properly you need to use a tongue snapper first to clean the very back of it until you see no more gunk coming off of it and then the key is to use a manual tooth brush with two pea size amounts of tooth paste I like Arm and Hammer with peroxide to Bush in a circular side to side up and down motion for about a minute and a half then you need to rinse with water well and gargle. Now you may notice your breath smelling even more than before which is because you have brought the bacteria's "poo" to the surface and mixed it around. Now brush your tongue again the same way for a minute and a half make sure you get the very back this is also a key step and really brush well back there cause that's where the bacteria is, standing on one foot will help you keep from gagging. Rinse and repeat brushing again if you tongue isn't relatively pink or if you still smell your own breath but don't do it more than 3 times total cause this indicates maybe you have another type of bad breath problem. Do this after you eat brushing your teeth when your done with your tongue and you should have fresh breath all day and relatively even when you wake up in the morning. Make sure you get the whole tongue systematically brushing and time it a minute and a half is a long time. I have tried everything myself and nobody taught me this in school I came up with it on my own after lots of trial and error. I hope this works for you.

• Posted

Have your tonsils checked....you can have stones that smell terrible. White cottage cheese like things.
  • Posted

Hi everybody. Oddly enough I found this discussion while trying to figure out if there was something specific wrong with some pork I was just served in a restaurant. It smelled like sewage. So here we are talking about your poo breath, you my former siblings in this matter. I used to have this issue and it is beyond socially crippling, it is a life ruiner. I would use all kinds of mouthwash and the smell would be back in five minutes. I would chew gum and that would just produce breath that smelled like mint... and poo. It was horrible. The worst was seeing people trying not to breathe while you talked to them and just knowing how people must talk about you behind your back, and knowing you couldn't kiss anyone without making them want to vomit. Very painful. I imagine this problem can have multiple different causes, but I'll just tell you two things that worked for me, one a treatment and one effectively a cure.

The first thing I discovered was a product called Therabreath. I see that this is a UK website so I don't know if you have the product over there or not. But I believe the key to it is its active ingredient: sodium chlorite, which is somehow a stabilized version of chlorine dioxide. I don't know the science, all I know is that it worked for me like nothing else ever had. To be clear, it isn't a cure, it just for me was an effective treatment. Using that twice or three times a day gave me relief unlike anything else. It was a life saver. The stuff is expensive but when stopping this horrible breath is your top problem and your top priority, you pay it gladly. There are other brands that use the same ingredient, so look around, but it's not any of the main mouthwash brands. Some, such as Therabreath, also offer an accompanying toothpaste and sometimes still other products such as sprays, nasal mist, mints, gum, etc., all with the same ingredient. If you haven't tried a product with this ingredient, find one and try it and be sure to follow all the instructions.

But the thing that truly made the difference for me, discovered quite by accident, was taking daily omeprazole. I have acid reflux primarily as a result of a hiatal hernia that I didn't know I had until maybe 8 years ago when I got scoped at the gastroenterologist, but also I presume as a result of about 40 extra pounds and just aging in general. But my breath problem started about the same time as my heartburn problem in my early 20s, so looking back now, I guess it makes sense that they were connected. I finally went on omeprazole because I was tired of the heartburn all the time, and it can actually lead to esophageal cancer so I figured I really needed to. What I didn't realize at first was that it fixed my breath problem. Only when forgetting to take the medicine for a couple of days would the problem come back, as would the heartburn. So that's how I made the connection. So in my case, the problem appears tied to my stomach. A hiatal hernia doesn't let the valve to your stomach close all the way so, not only was acid squirting up into my lower esophagus to terrorize that poor tissue (and maybe that caused bad smell?), but also there was always basically an open sewer cap down into the rotting food in my stomach. So maybe that was a source of bad smell. Or maybe omeprazole has some other chemical effect that neutralized whatever the problem was in some other way. I don't know. All I know is omeprazole all but eliminated the problem in my case.

I still use the Therabreath toothpaste and mouthwash too just to be sure, and because every once in a while, even though I haven't skipped my omeprazole, I'll catch a whiff of the old problem. So anyway there's my story. I got lucky, because none of my research into this problem gave me any answers that worked, and doctors and dentists and allergists and even gastroenterologists were completely useless on breath questions. The Therabreath was just one of many things that I experimented with on a trial and error basis, most of which I figured would be gimmicks and most of which were. But this one happened to work. And the omeprazole was a complete accident that I started taking for a different problem. I wish all of you luck. I hope one or both of these things can help some of you. Don't give up!

• Posted

thanks for the post. Something else to investigate.

I'm experiencing fresh breath at the moment for the first time in a deacde, thanks to an antibiotic. Expecting bad breath to return when I stop taking it, though. I have a list if things to try after, and i'll add omeprazole to the list! cheers

(and yes, therabreath does help, but it's pretty pricey)

• Posted

Thankyou for sharing your story JohnQPublic..I have a question. How long did it take for the omeprazole to work as far as bad breath. I am taking omeprazole and I still smell and awful smell coming out of my mouth it is so stressful. I literally clear out a room. I am going to visit a GI doctor this week. So hopefull I will get help. But I asked the whole world about my breath and no one will tell me the truth. They always say no even though there actions are different.
    • Posted

did u see an ENT doctor ? What did the doctor say? I have the same issue like u. I am going to see an ENT doctor as well. I think we might have a tonsil stone. Please write back. I want to know how was your visit to the doctor.

Thank you

• Posted

I too have this problem. I have noticed however that if I get my finger and rub my gum at the back of my mouth , that is where the smell comes from. Smells like poo. This smell is not coming directly from the throat. If I rub the gum anywhere else, not a problem.

I have had people say to me , have you farted? I say yes. I have been to the doctor and he says go to the dentist. Dentist says to see the doctor. What do you do?

• Posted

i would go to the chemist and ask for tablets for worms..i don't know if u have them but i had them for years without knowing..no symptoms either…i had that did u fart comment too and there is nothing worse…get these tablets u will no fairly quickly my poo breath disappeared within a day or two...
    • Posted

what is the tablets called and can they be bought at a health food store???
  • Posted

I have been having this problem and i think it comes from your stomach not producing enough gastic acid. This may cause the odor so i tried several acidic products to produce acid in my stomach that MAY take away the odor. This works for me when i take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar diluted in cold water and HCL Betaine with pepsin capsules with my meals to help the food digest properly. Gastic acid is an aid to digest the food we eat and if lack the acid, the odor of your stomach comes out your mouth casusing the bad breath. Everyone has different health problems but i hopes this helps anyone suffering. Get it a try! you have nothing to lose....

GLuck everyone

• Posted

Been taking this a few days and noticing positive results. It was recommended to me by a user in here.
    • Posted

My breath smell too, I test for worm and bacteria are negative. Thank you for your informations but how may HCL betaine supplements do you take daily?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.