Breathing on beta blockers

Posted , 8 users are following.

They put me on metoprolol a week and half ago but it caused me to habe a hard time taking in a deep breath. Now my cardiologist has put me on bisprolol for distolic dysfuction. I still have a hard time taking in deep breaths just not as bad. When will this go away?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This is a long shot but could work though you may not think so until you've tried it. I sometimes have a similar problem with taking deep breaths and it seems to be caused by my diaphragm getting very tense which can easily happen without you realising it, whatever the cause, Relaxing it is difficult and takes quite a lot of practice but in the meantime I have found that its possible to breathe into the part of the lungs at the back.. Normally when we breathe the lungs expand in front, which you can feel if you place your hands just above the waist with middle finger tips together - a deep breath parts the fingers. Try the same thing with your hands behind you so that the little fingers are about the level of the bottom ribs and the middle fingers touching. Many people can't expand the back enough to part the fingers because they have never tried, but its quite easy to train yourself to do it, and I found that If I get panicky and unable to take deep breaths the normal way this way works, which is a huge relief. I discovered you can breathe like this when I had singing lessons and the muscles at the back were stiff when I first tried - I found I had never breathed into that part of my lungs before!

Once you have managed to take a few breaths like this you feel much calmer and your breathing soon returns to normal.  Try experimenting with it when you aren't having trouble so that when you are you'll know what to do.

• Posted

Same here Samantha, l have trouble with my breathing on Bisoprolol 1.25mg. Wish I'd never started taking it but need it for fast heartbeat. Also just stopped blood pressure tablets Amlodopine and Canderstartin. Now on Lostarten which l believe, over time, brings it's own side effects. So got that to look forward to. And Peter am really sorry you still suffering. I always wondered how you were getting on. Not much better by sound of it. Haven't yet seen you on 24 hours in A&E yet. Remember you saying they filmed you for one episode. Hope things do improve for you soon.

• Posted

I dont think they are going to use me in that now, probably something more interesting came along than me looking right as rain. Funny that I feel worst from the after effects of beta blockers than I ever did getting Ventricular Tachycardia.

• Posted

Oh right. Know what you mean though about feeling worse with the Betta blockers. I am so much worse since l started on mine 11 months ago, especially the depression, something l never had at all before. And the breathing. That wasn't compromised before them, and l had a heart rate of 114 daily! So like you, l rue the day l took the first one. Take care.

• Posted

Peter are you any better? I am struggling to breathe on Metoprolol lung function is one point below normal. I never had breathing problems before this mess. I am scared to come off it due to it keeps my HR low for my tachycardia issue, but I feel this medicine is trying to suffocate me. Will I die from it? I am so scared I am only 28..

• Posted

Hi Tara, sorry for the delayed reply. My story was felt as if my lungs no longer worked and I had to remember to breathe from the day I took Bisoprolol. They took me off after a few weeks and I have been on no medicines since. The breathing difficulties lasted for a full year after coming off beta blockers, then just like that, improved greatly though my blood oxygen is only ok when I am doing physical things, but never as bad as that year. During that bad year, my blood oxygen would average 84% for the full nights sleep, it is never that bad after that year, but I do feel it has given me a measure of brain damage as the drunk zombie feeling and brain fog I also got from Bisoprolol remain to this day, four years later. I also now have peripheral neuropathy which I understand can also be caused by low blood oxygen. Do you know what your blood oxygen saturation is as a percentage? Would have to be extremely low to die from.

• Posted

Hey Peter, I got off the metoprolol and was put on something else. Corlanor.. I do not have heart failure, but it is given to people with my specific condition as it is tolerated way better than beta blockers. So far so good, my breathing went to normal ranges on the inhaler I was given.. I reached 89. I was only able to go to 79 the first time. However, I am still getting some random bouts of this even on inhaler. I tried coming off it and I got panicked or my breathing really IS bad off it I am not sure. I have had xray, heart checked, and checked even for blood clots.. all was well. My oxygen percentage is anywhere from 97-100. I admittedly was at ER the other night scared and my oxygen there was 100% the entire time.. so they do not believe me. I am sure you know how that feels.... I am just so discouraged.. I have been so scared of COPD, lung cancer, this and that... because with the test coming to normal doctors almost make you sound like it ALL has to be anxiety.. the thing is I NEVER had breathing problems before.. I mean it makes me panicked! It feels rather constricted at times or like I forgot how to breath properly.. I am not sure how to explain it. I often think if it WAS the metoprolol I got off that March 11th I would think it would be out of my system by now? I am not sure.. I hate this feeling and so happy to hear you are somewhat back to normal.. I wished ALL the way back, but I am sure the results you have now are way better than before.

• Posted

Tara and Peter,

OMG. I just got off bisoprolol about 2 weeks ago due to severe depression and anxiety. I cold turkey it. Was immediately better and happy.... for1 week. Then withdrawal of anxiety came back.

But breathing was the nightmare. I was in ER twice and like you guys they didn't find anything wrong with the EKG, xray etc.

I am now facing a panic suffocation the minute i fell in that slumber and has to wake up gasping for air! It's terrifying and Dr don't know what to do... I haven't been able to fall asleep now for 3 days as I will feeling like drowning.

Yes, It's like I've forgotten how to breath and must tell myself to inhale and exhale...

Does it gets better? what can I do? I'm going crazy. I can't get any sleep at all!!!!

• Posted

Hi Samantha, sorry to hear of your difficulties, I just thought I'd toss in that the beta blocker they put me on is atenolol, which I guess is one of the most basic ones, but I've had very few problems with it, except that it's too effective on me and I had to cut the dose!  Perhaps something to try.

?I was trying to compare your symptoms to congestive heart failure, that I unfortunately saw with my father.  Probably not that, but perhaps something to talk about to generate other ideas.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank.you. i did find out i have distolic dysfuction which is a slight stiff heart. I was off beta blockers for . A week and it didnt make the deep breath go away. So they put me on a new one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.