Cabbage juice helps in reducing acid reflux and gastritis (due to Hpylori)!!

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi,

Wanted to share with everyone here that cabbage juice does indeed help in healing gastritis! I did it for a week and it worked for me! I am not cured completely, but I am much much better than I was. Last 2 days I have had no stomach pains, acid reflux is almost gone (added advantage that I didnt expect) except for a bit of post nasal drip and feeling almost normal. Fingers crossed and hope to heal completely soon!

Just to give you a small background, I had acid reflux (silent reflux) starting last Oct (2014). I had never had acid reflux in my entire life, I am 28yrs old. Not once. And then this suddenly started. I have reflux day in day out. I panicked and underwent terrible stress. I tried all sorts of natural remedies. Nothing worked. I was scared of taking PPI after reading about side effects on the internet. A naturopath misdiagnosed me with candida (I think they over diagnoze candida infections) and put me on an anti candida diet. I lost more than 20lbs (which I didnt need to) and felt worse after 2 months on the diet. I looked thin, was terribly sick and I thought my life was over. Sometime during this period, I guess I developed the gastritis as well although blood tests and stool test for hpylori kept coming back negative. 

I needed a break. I went home to India. Went to my family doctor, got myself checked by a GI. Had ultrasounds, CT scans (they thought it was my gallbladder initially), blood work and gastroscopy. Ultimately they diagnosed me with gastritis due to Hpylori (positive through gastroscopy), acid reflux (LPR) and vitamin D deficiency.

I took the triple therapy for Hpylori and and PPI's. I took injections and soft gels for the Vitamin D. I guess the pylori is gone as I started feeling better after taking antibiotics but the gastritis was still there. So i continued the PPI's and swithced to a low fat diet. No milk and dairy except lots of homemade yoghurt. I started feeling better but not completely. I would still have lot of bad days and few good days.

Last week I decided to do the cabbage juice. I did 4 cups of cabbage & carrot juice a day for 6 days and I can make out a huge difference now!I havent had stomach pains in 3 days, not even after eating. i even went out to a nearby restaurant and had a buffet, Nothing, no pain, very few burps. Also, the acid reflux suddenly came down. I am happy to report I am almost feeling normal. 

I am not cured completely but I wish I had continued the cabbage juice for another week. But I couldnt drink it anymore smile

The cabbage juice did cause me to feel a bit tired and crappy (maybe because it is known to affect the thyroid) and cuased some gas. But I persisted. I thought if I continue to feel worse I would give up the treatment but after 3 days I started to slowly feel better. Now I am left with a bit of post nasal drip sometimes in the afternoon(reminding me of the reflux but much better than before). But other than that, mostly feeling better. Will wait for a week and update again on the forum!

So guys, go ahead and try this if you think you can tolerate drinking cabbage juice and if you do not have any thyroid issues!

3 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

Not sure what started it but suffice to say it was unpleasant and worrying. I had scans, and endoscopy but no definite diagnosis. A friend suggested I try Pappaya (crushed or tablets). To my amazement, relief was evident within a week and continues to improve. I thought your cabbage recipe might be a good alternative but have not tried it yet as the pappaya seems to be doing the trick. Thanks for your interest.

Walt

• Posted

Hi Walter,

That is good news that the papaya worked for you. It is interesting, I have read online that a lot of people have cured themselves with papaya. Do you use papaya tablets or the fruit itself? I am planning to try them as well soon.

As for me, I am feeling much better after a bad period (since june 2015 upto now). With a stricter diet, over the counter PPI's (which I am weaning off of again), I am feeling much better. 

• Posted

Hi

I have both the tablets and crushed (dry powder) papaya. When travelling, tablets are easier to carry (airplanes) otherwise 1 teaspoon of powder in a smoothie at breakfast.

Cheers

Walter

• Posted

I forgot to mention, I also seem to be less symptomatic when I get very busy and distracted. It's especially the case when doing physical house work.

Do you think this could be explained by psychosomatic pain?

• Posted

I also forget about it completely when I get busy, especially with house work! I wonder too, maybe that is the reason we do not reflux at night? I hear lot of people with similar cases have been cured by taking low dose of anti depressants. I am interested to see if that works for me as well. I am meetiing the GI doctor on 4th sept, so I will ask him about it then. 

My only concern is not to take any medication unnecesarily. I want to stop everything as I am planning to conceive soon. I just wanted to heal my gastritis before I get pregnant!

• Posted

Right now, I am on a diet of different vegetables (steamed, stir fried and baked), jasmine rice, different lentils and beans, juice with celery and carrots. I am trying to follow Jamie Koufmans dropping acid-low fat low acid diet and it seems to be helping so far. My only deviation from her diet is yoghurt. She says yoghurt has a pH of 4.9 and does not recommend eating it during the first two weeks of the induction diet, but I am still eating that.  I had to go back on over the counter PPI in June after a stint of bad diet (eating lot of fried food, sweets, dairy). Now I am taking PPI on alternate days and hope to wean off in two weeks. 

I have noticed that too much salt, sweet, dairy, fried foods, chocolate, fruits (even banana and watermelon) are triggers for me. I can tolerate onions, garlic, tomato and mild spices though. 

• Posted

I am still confused as to how you make this concoction! Do you put the cabbage and carrot in a juice EXTRACTOR to extract the juice, or due you blend in a blender and end up with a porridge?? If the latter, how much water or liquid do you add to the blender to make this mixture drinkable??

CONFUSED???

Walter

• Posted

Just do a search on juicing on YouTube. There are many machines. High speed are cheap and belt the life out of the juice. The slow speed ones are best and get every bit of juice out. It definitely makes one feel better overall BUT in my case at least it did not improve my reflux. Bugger! Best not to dilute with water. If too strong add lors of celery. If too sour add a couple of apples and more carrots. It will be ome a way of life. Those fighting cancer all use it.
    • Posted

I just put some cabbage and carrot into a blender, add some water (very little, to get the juice consistency) and juice it up. Apples (if you can tolerate the acidity) can be added to cover up the awful taste of cabbage!

I dont drink it anymore, although sometimes i drink carrot and celery jucie.

• Posted

Thanks again! So it is really a porridge rather than just the juice??? Correct?

Cheers

Walter

• Posted

Wel yah kind of if u add little water and if you add more water it will be of a juice consistency...personally I don't think there is anything wrong in adding some water..it makes it drinkable, which is easier than having it so thick..
    • Posted

Walter just an update on juicing. I have just found out that why the regime did not cure my reflux (but amazingly DID fix several other non related minor complaints). My naturapath worked out I had bacterial overload and it was sugar, physillium husks, slippery elm and apparently this was undoing all the good taking fermented cabbage and soil based probiotics. Been on a stricter diet since last Thursday which I think is in the practitioners pass word section of the sibotest site. Basically only fruit is lemon and lime. A free list of veges, and a list of veggies that only one serve allowed. Zero grains and dairy for first 6 weeks. Its early days but things seem to be changing BUT at present I am still sleeping in a recliner but acid has reduced to one episcode a night. Previously I was having up to 10. Let me know how you go.

• Posted

Hey sirivinay,

i was was recently diagnosed for pylori I am currently under quardaple therphy(hpylera capsules +omeprazol)  I am on day 5 it's a full course medication for 10 days. I am having side effects like indigestion like I'm not able to digest in 12 hrs as well did you had this side effect? Can I take cabbage juice while I'm on this medication .

• Posted

Hi all friends in this disscution.

please these temperory treatments like taking any juice from any vegetables or fruit not the SOLUTION  of acid reflux , this like you

make the sea water sweet by adding some suger in it !! the best

solution is depend on reason of acid reflex. If the reason is due to

infection by HPYLORI or other pathogen such as bacteria or parasites

so there is a medication (drug ) for this infection. if the reason  due to

widening of diaphram port that permit any acid passing this port  and make this problem ,so the solution is to make simple and easy surgery

to reduce this port by clip . these two solution are the best remedies for acid refux problem for all all your life.

my best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.