Can anyone else "feel" their gallbladder?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Since being told I have gallstones after one getting stuck in the bile duct, when I walk about, I can feel something in that area. It's not pain or anything, just something uncomfortable which catches my attention. Does anyone get this??

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

....see this is what i mean with the side effects.

was your GB causing problems before the scan or was it just a routine scan ? (mine was a routine scan for elevated liver enzymes).

Removal of this organ and opiods DOES CAUSE constipation, and the manufacturers of the opiods put it in the leaflet as well but medical staff would deny anything to do with side-effects whether its the drugs they prescribe or the removal of the organ.

• Posted

if this continues boyzmummy, then its worth considering sphincter oddi dysfunction. My first attack was as bad as labour pains , but they just don't believe people.
  • Posted

Also Trex opiods cause the sphincter oddi to contract, which they don't believe either.
  • Posted

ohh, ok. glad i havent mine removed yet. (even though mine are silent stones they keep offering to have my GB removed), i dunno what i would do then
  • Posted

Why do you think they are offering to take out your GB, have you asked them for solid reasons for doing so?

I know there are risks that they can get stuck in the bile duct, pass into the pancreas and may eventually cause cancer but they should tell you why they want to take it.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the replies. Yes I had been having pain in the area for years which they finally decided an ultrasound might be a good idea. This showed GB wall thickening, 2cm mass and multiple foci? They said they needed to remove it as this was the only way to rule out Cancer. Still waiting histology results. Also apparently nothing to worry about but a 2.6cm liver cyst and they could not see pancreas. I have looked up SOD and agree it sounds likely, is it recognised in UK? I went back to my GP 3 times to ask for a different scan rather than removal. The only problem I was told of was that if there is a problem there is a small chance that they wi have to switch to open surgery with a large cut. Other than that I heard you will be eating bacon the next day! What a lot of rubbish, GP states another 2-3 weeks rest. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are having frequent severe attacks x
  • Posted

Jane did anything show on a normal X-ray ? They said something on my blood test for the liver was abnormal but to be expected after surgery?
  • Posted

This fallacy that you can go back to eating normally after GB removal. I know two people who think like that and both are the size of a small house!!!
  • Posted

boyzmummy,some consultants recognise sod and others don't,(sometimes they try and make people think its a physcosomatic pain) because it is a valve/muscle it does not show on xrays or scans.It is usually diagnosed by process of elimination.The only sur way of diagnosing it is by doing a procedure via endoscopy to bile ducts and they will only do this if it is stopping you from functioning a normal life.The reason is because the procedure is so risky and can cause serious complications such as pancreatitis. There are three grades of it and thankfully mine is type three, where I only have the pain,others have severe vomiting and abnormal liver and pancreas function.Hope this helps, I always worry that I might scare people as I know how it scares me as sometimes the pain is unbearable and causes me to panic.
  • Posted

@designergirl12 they havent told me why. One day i went for a scan for repeated elevated liver enzymes (which is a sign liver inflammation). As well as finding a fatty liver they found a few stones in the GB 1.5 to 2 cm. A few years before that when i went for a routine ultrasound for gastro problems they found stones the size of sand particles. I dunno how they seen so tiny stuff like that but thats what the consultant at the hospital told me. At that time i didnt know about medication to dissolve the and ultrasound technqiues to shatter small stones to powder, i only found out years later at the 2nd scan doing my own research on the internet but the thing is even when they were like tiny sand particles the consultant said if its bothering me they can do a little op to remove my GB.

I haven't asked for any solid reason, that question has never come to mind. It could be that stones at the size i could be at risk of an attack which could lead to A&E.

• Posted

Hi Trex

Bigger stones are unlikely to lodge in the bile ducts.

I too have fatty liver but I am 60 so it seems it is normal. Non alcoholic fatty liver is more difficult to reverse than alcoholic fatty liver , more's the pity!!

• Posted

Hello designergirl12

have you tried cutting out all the fat and exercising ? the nurse at my GP told me to do: 'no carbohydrates, plenty of water and exercise' and cut out all the fat That will take all the fat out.

I take steps in doing the diet but my favourite foods keep creeping back up on me plus when theres nothing cooked at home i take ready meals from supermarkets which dont do a lot of good. Its easier said than done what they told me to do.

From the sounds of it, if i follow this procedure i can get rid of the fatty liver. I think its the carbs sitting inside me and not getting burned-up, turning into fat and settling on the liver.

• Posted

Hi trex sorry fortot to reply tO your post about cutting out all the fat and exercising. the gall bladder needs some fat to function as it will cease altogether and cause problems. My doc says to keep to a low fat diet.
  • Posted

righht, ok, yeah have to take in all the good fats without trying to have any of the bad fats in, but its hard isnt it
  • Posted

It is hard, but I find ACV helps there. I know I bang on about it but it works for me. Best fats are avocado, flaxseed or olive oil, and nuts. Pecan nuts reduce cholesterol and I try to eat a few nuts every week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.