Can internal haemorrhoids cause grooves/ridges in poop? (Pics)

Posted , 22 users are following.

I noticed the groove in July 2018. Went to my GP, he did a DRE and determined it was internal hemorrhoid. No bleeding, no pain, no mucus. Only symptom is the groove going down the whole stool.

Went back to GP to follow up in Feb since the groove hasn't gone away. I have a consultation on MONDAY, April 8 with a GI Dr. !

32 year old female. no family history of cancer.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I've also noticed a groove and am never able to wipe completely (i'm guessing because an obstruction is creating residue). Also, Ive had painful urination on occasion, painful erection/sex with spouse for about as long as I've noticed this problem (little over a year). I have an appointment tomorrow with a GI doctor. I'm dreading the possibility of a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy. Hoping its just a hemmroid but my urologist thinks i may have an enlarged prostate and/or prostatitis. This has been a real pain.

• Posted

Hi my friend! I have been having the issue with the groove or ridge also. What a bummer. Please let me know what your doctor said about that problem if you can. Here in my country due to Covid medical care is minimum at the moment. I am a 53 year old male. Hope you're doing good Cheers

• Posted

any update on what going on? I'm sorry you're going thru this.

• Posted

hi there @j81945

exactly same problems. painful urination and internal hemorrhoids for years. i had hemorrhoid bending 8 years ago. no success. urologist said also i have prostate calcifications which causes prostatitis. flat poop also. next week im doing colonoscopy and cystoscopy. please let me know how your results were? im so worried. also if you had colonoscopy, did you do it under general anesthesia or without it?

• Posted

Thank you, I plan on having a colonoscopy in September.

• Posted

Nothing much, pretty much the same since i last posted. I plan on getting a colonoscopy in September. I'm a bit nervous. How have you been?

• Edited

Hi thanks for the info and the Pictures! I have been experiencing the same for over a long time. Had a colonoscopy 3 years ago, 1 polyp removed and it checked out ok. Though I have had this before the removal. Also please let me know if your BMs are kind of flat like the pictures, mine are, they are usually flat and oval shaped with the same groove or ridge on one side. Sometimes they are really long like a snake. Sorry for the details, but it is so you get the picture. Hope your are doing well!!!

Cheers!

• Posted

hello! sorry, I'm only responding now.

All is well even after a few years other than the grooves. Yes, most of the time my BMs are flat with a groove/ridge on one side, and long like yours. No visible blood.

The Dr didn't find anything and said it could be from internal 'rhoids. My who is a nurse has sister in law has the same thing and isnt concern.

• Posted

Hi sunflower

Next week I will be getting a follow up colonoscopy since it has been 3.5 years since my first one. Still have grooves sometimes and my stool is usually ribbon flat, told me it is due to colon spasm due to my IBS.

Hope everything goes ok since y am scared always with that procedure.

Thanks for caring!

p.s. I do have at least one small internal hemorroid .

• Posted

Hi Sunflower

Today I am getting my colonoscopy done. I will post the results after the same. Wish me good luck!!!

• Edited

Hi Sunflower

Yesterday I had my colonoscopy done, and guess what... 100 % normal. No polyps . My doctor said all is fine. The only explanation for the groove is the hemorrhoid and the softness of the stool. Have you ever had a colonoscopy done? Best wishes!

• Edited

i have same type of poop with no pain and blood may be its blockage in my tummy or what?

• Edited

Dr told me it could be an internal 'rhoid. I had a colonoscopy done bc i was scared of if being colon cancer. No polyps, No cancer was found.

• Posted

Are you okay now? Or still have this types of poops? Do reply please. I am having these types of poops for 4 months now. Sometimes, ribbon flat, sometimes pencil thin, sometimes flat. but not a normal shape. No bleeding, no pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.