Can only go one day without a drink !!!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

I know I should stop drinking, I don't drink everyday buy can only go one day without a drink, I then convince myself I deserve, the little voice tells me , you deserve it , you work hard , I tried aa, but feel I didn't fit in as I don't black out, I don't drink into oblivion, but I do drink 7-10 bottles a week, I'm at the end of my tether and slipping back to depression fast !!!! PS feel better just writing that down

3 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Ann

Sorry to be late joining your thread but I just wanted to add my support to that of everyone else here.  You so right about writing it down, it does help.  Doing that here finally enabled me to tell my GP, who firtunately was very sympathetic.  I don't know if I fait the classification of an alchoholic and I've never been to aa, but I used to drink at least a bottle of wine a day until a few days ago.  I am now m5 days dry and finding it easier than I'd expected, I used to try to cut down but it never worked, so this time I've just gone cold turkey, no withdrawal effects so far, just benefits like clearer head, imroved tummy, sleeping better, and I expect I will find other benefits as timew goes on.

I wish you the very best in your struggle for as a drinker for years, I know how hard it is

Love from Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for your reply, this group is truly amazing and supportive. I'm glad you mentioned about your tummy as I always found excuses ... It was food, I was tired or stressed but really I know the reason, thanks for your support and good luck to you

Ann xx

• Posted

Hi Ann

Great to hear from you again, you are right, this group is amazing and the people on it are giving me such strength.  Booze used to give me bad diarrhea plus I get acid reflux.  Being off it for 5 days has fixed the first, staright away and slightly helped the second, only time will tell how much it helps the reflux long term but my gp is sure it will.  I take omeprazole for that which really helps too, maybe eventually I'll be able to come off that too, but just crossing one bridge at a time right now.  Got rhough lunch today fine, totally dry and will be tonight too, I can just tell.

Lizzie

• Posted

You are doing so well Lizzie! I am pleased with myself today. Over Christmas I got back in the habit of drinking with lunch and told myself that I must stop it. Didn't manage that yesterday. Thought this morning I'll do it today, feeling confident. Coming back home before lunch was thinking that I'd really like a drink. And so what. Was having soup for lunch so heated it up and opened a bottle of wine. Took one sip. Ate the soup with a bread roll and realised I hadn't touched the wine. And didn't want to. Spent an hour finishing the book I was reading, drinking water. Prepared stuff I need for tomorrow, still no desire to drink. Made a start on supper, drinking water. Now just started a glass of wine at 6pm. Pleased with myself and thanking God.
    • Posted

Well done h1954, I am proud of you.  We can only do this by taking small steps, crossing each barrier, or not, as it presents itself.  I've had occasions in the past before I joined the Dry January Challenge when I would open a bottle of wine and just think, hey, I dion't really like this and pour it away; it took me a long time to get to the point where I could do that all the time.  However, musn't boast as they say, pride comes before a fall, not that I'm expecting that, just trying to keep a hold on reality.

Many blessings

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Boy is that the truth...pride comes before a fall!!! So many times for me....not just when I speak being proud...but when I feel it too
    • Posted

So, I enjoyed a bottle of wine over a 4 hour period with a substantial meal and watching TV and am now in bed with fizzy water feeling sober :-)
    • Posted

Do not worry to much Lizzie. You are doing well. This is YOUR year! All the best from Robin
    • Posted

Hi Robin2015

It was h1954 who enjopyed the bottle of wine, I'm on day 7 and still dry.  But you are right ithis is MY YEAR.  I slept well last night, only waking once and getting about 06:30 which is normal for me.  Can't begin to tell you how much better I feel for having totally quit the booze :-)

Lizzie

• Posted

you might buy a luxury holiday or a classic sports car with the money you save!! or whatever you fancy....ha ha....Robin
    • Posted

Hi Robin

I've already donated £100 to soemone I know who is a bit hard up and have ordered a pile of history books from Amazon.  Its hard to be sure but I reckon I was spending about £200 a month on booze.  Completeing today successfully dry again and feeling really good.

Lizzie

• Posted

I'm on day 3 now, feeling really tired though but on the plus side never felt so determined !!!
    • Posted

Hi Ann and Lizzie, I am so impressed with both of your determination, which is something I lack. I do pray that 2016 really will be a great year for you both and that you will achieve your goals. And I'm planning this year to get back in control, and stay that way - so far so good! Hx
    • Posted

2016 will be your year, I try to look at it that I don't have any choice , I'm 43 now and don't want to get to my 60's and look back with regret, you can do this x
    • Posted

Hey, Ann, in my 40s and 50s I didn't care, had a good job and functioned OK and drinking was just part a big part of the lifestyle. And it is so hard to change that, a lot due to habit. I have a wonderful life, but, at 61 and the responsibilities I now have, I need to keep on with the reduced drinking I was achieving. But there is always a choice and I want to get back to making the right choices. You are making a great choice and I truly hope and pray that you achieve all you want to achieve. Happy New Year!
    • Posted

NOw is the time Ann. You can do it and this is your year. January is as good as any time to start. We will assist you and not mis judge you. All the best from Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.