Can you still have a uti even if culture came back negative.

Posted , 50 users are following.

Hello,

So basically I've been suffering with bv, yeast infections and Uti's. I've had 3 different antibiotics for bv, and 2 for Uti's. During my last rounds of test everything came back negative, but the problem Is I still have symptoms. It burns when I pee and it smells bad. No frequency. But sometimes when I go pee only a little comes out and the pee is cloudy. My urologist wants to talk about the possibility Of having interstitial cystitis.i rather not have that because there is no cure. I also don't feel like I have that, but maybe I'm just in denial. My question is could I still have a uti even if the the cultures I got were negative? Could it maybe be a small uti? Is it possible. I just need hope I really don't want the other thing.

1 like, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

From what I understand some bacteria will not grow a culture and there are a few that will. Perhaps you have the bacteria that will not grow in a culture. I am experiencing the same problem. On 4th different antibiotic. It clears up the after being off antibiotic for 4 days it returns. 
  • Posted

Can someone here tell me what the heck &#39s means. I am seeing this in the forums when discussing UTI's.

• Posted

I as a male had burning, pain in my bladder, I have had two uti infections in my life, the last time before my turp surgery I was having burning, mild feaver, and had some left over antibiotics from a Pryor surgery, took two before going to my urologist, he said that would throw off the urine test, now I am post surgery one month, have the burning and pain again, know it is. It normal, took three antibiotics before the urologist made me come in for a test, I told them I had taken antibotics, they just called and said no infection, in the culture one day later, said it would take three days to grow it? I am feeling a little better after taking my fifth antibiotic, any ideas?
  • Posted

Hi I'm hoping I get some advice on here as fed up getting nowhere with Dr's. I suffer from BV Thrush and cystitis. For the first two I'm now told to use relactagel or balance active once a week however my cystitis just seems to rent occur. I've had the usual treatment but my recent sample has come back negative even tho I know I've had infection typical needing wee bearing down sensation feeling sick bad and tummy pain even bit of temp. I'm desperate to sort this as it's now beginning to ruin my life and relationship. My partner is really supportive but is also blaming himself now. Why can't Dr's see how this is making us all feel ? I'd love to know more about D Mannose? Also I'm sure foods don't help but which ones. I still feel like I have very very mild infection and no antibiotic is curing it. I'm feeling really low and tired with it all. Is there any support groups I can join please

• Posted

D-mannose is great for the e-coli bacteria......I take it (small dose) as a preventative as well as a cranberry supplement.  You want to keep your urine acidic to keep bacteria from sticking to the bladder walls.  D-mannose is great because the bacteria adheres to it and flushes out with drinking plenty of water.   Have you seen a urologist to make sure nothing is abnormal in the urinary tract....Taking probiotics will help keep the good bacteria in check....and make sure you have good hygiene down there especially for intercourse.....make sure you urinate after sex..............as for food, I have found that celery juice had calmed my bladder down, this is great for intersitial cystis as well.
    • Posted

Hi Linda thanks for reply. I've finally been referred to urologist however not until Sept although I'm trying to see my old gynaecologist ( as he deals with uro too) privately as seem to get infection every other week. I've started taking cranberry supplyment daily. When you say small dose of d mannose how much do you mean I've just ordered some tablets online. Intercourse can bring my infection on more which is making me feel what's the point in a relationship. However I do exactly what you said and go to toilet after etc. I'm also noticing I can't hold my bladder as well now either and at 47 can be embarrassing. I will try anything to sort this problem out can't believe it's just getting worse. I'm drinking cranberry and raspberry herbal tea too rather than tea/coffee as heard these not good for this issue. Any other advise would be greatly received. It's a pity this is not brought up on the this morning program or embarrassing bodies when it was on can't believe how many people suffer. I hope yours is more under control now. Can I ask one question when I have it I also feel like my bowel is pushing down too is this normal I've heard others say not?!

• Posted

Hi Anna,  There are couple things that now knowing your age could be the culprit.......you are at the age where our hormones are going down.  The Uro/genital area depends on estrogen, in our forties and fifties the estrogen drops thinning out the skin making it easier for bugs to multiply.   What I do is vaginal probiotics once a week, dmannose I take one to two tablets daily as a preventative...with infection it I said three tablets three times daily.....I also have an estriol cream meant for vaginal and vulva, it I said bioidentical and the weakest estrogen but enough to plump up the skin...the last piece of the puzzle when you mention bowel is maybe find a physio therapist that deals with pelvic floor muscles, often time bladder and bowel issues are due to too tight or too loose pelvic floor muscles.   It took me about 6 months to get it all figured out with the help of research, my natural path and urologist and gynocologist.   I was also told to cut out caffeine that means chocolate and I don't drink anything that irritates the bladder, so basically all I drink is water and herbal teas and my celery juice. Ihope that gives you some ideas...

• Posted

I've had all the tests really diabetes menopause etc all normal. As I get BV too have been told to use balance active or relactagel once a week. You say vaginal probiotics what are they called and where do you get them from? I'm stopping caffeine drinks and trying herbal tea however chocolate omg gonna be hard . I really appreciate your replies means a lot. Just gotta see consultant now just don't want to be fobbed off. Thanks again

• Posted

The vaginal probitcs will help combat the BV.......You are probably too alkaline in there, the vagina is meant to be very acidic, but as we get to perimenopause, which by the way will not show up on tests.  The probiotics will help get the PH levels where they should be while getting the good bacteria in there to ward off the bad.   I know there have been some women who use boric acid suppositories, I have never been brave enough to try that myself, and have found the vaginal probitocs to be good.  You put them in at night before bed...inserts like a tampon and then it does it's magic as you sleep.  I am not sure if I can put the name on here what I use, but I get mine at the heath food store in town they need to be kept in the fridge...they are made by Genestra.....hmf canigen.

• Posted

I was told to use balance active or relactagel although only just started using them too. Not sure if these are probiotics

Really feel like I still have slight cystitis even tho been on antibiotics all week 😔 would love a cure

• Posted

hi, thanks for info. but i thought vaginal probiotic are tablets we take orally ?

sorry for confusion

• Posted

Hi Cassie....no vaginal probiotics... the ones I am speaking of are ones that get inserted directly into the vagina....like a tampon right before bed.....The other ones that you are speaking of do help as a preventative as well, but if you are having on going infections, even with UTI these are needed as well.   This helps keep the PH levels good to kill off the bad bacteria.  You can find them at health food stores in the refrigerator.....there are many different brands out there the one I use and love is from Genestra. 
    • Posted

Sorry my last message was for menopolized.
  • Posted

https://www.medpagetoday.com/urology/urology/64906  

Talks about research showing this.

• Posted

That is a very interesting read.  But how did they do the test to prove it?  I get microscopic urinalysis done and I was told that is about as perfect of a test you can get.  The tricky thing about their statement with symptoms means a UTI is actually false.  Unless there is a fever present or blood in the urine, these symptoms can mean a variety of things, vaginal infections, yeast infections, hormonal changes and allergies.  So prescribing antibiotics without really knowing can be causing more harm than good to the body, not to mention that one day if one has an infection the antibiotic may not work as your body becomes immune to them.   I would say if you have to go to extreme measures to have a test like this than the bacteria found would be extremely low and your body should be able to fight it off.  I have had microscopic urinalysis done monthly for a year and some months I feel symptoms while others I don't, not one showed anything...so mine is being chalked up to hormonal.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.