Celebrating one year....

Posted , 15 users are following.

Thank you to everyone for being so supportive - one year today I was having my THP and could not have got through it without you all! One year on - feeling very happy with the result.

Big hugs to Renee and Rocket especially and so many others too - together we have made such a difference. I am just going to ride a horse now can you believe! And have a lunch planned later with friends - somehow feels more of a milestone and a celebration than a birthday even. Love and light to all of you, wherever you are in the world and whatever the stage you are in - we must thank the inventors of the internet for bringing us all together to share our experiences and provide support in the darkest of hours. 

Thank you for being there for me - with a slight lump in the throat. I wouldn't be here without you.

6 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Terrific. Have a fun ride. Been a year for me too. Very glad I had it done.
    • Posted

Happy anniverary to you! What a difference one year can make. I am really glad it worked out for you - I wanted to post on here, as I felt quite emotional this morning, and because I have a lot of people to thank for getting me through it all....most importantly I do think positive posts are important, I know I appreciated them when I read them and hoped it would soon be me.

Well done you - well done us! We did it! 

• Posted

I am so happy to read your post, Rose. Riding a horse? Who could have believed... I have followed your every post, and am thrileed for you! I hope to follow you with complete recovery soon.
    • Posted

Hi Annie thank you for your lovely message. I can't believe I survived the whole god damn thing! It is not so much the operation but the tedious recovery! 

How are you more importantly? Can I ask how it is going?

• Posted

If you recall, after my THR in July 2015, I always had hip/thigh pain and a limp, and had to always use those darn walking aids. In February I got a diagnosis of torn gluteal tendons. After much waiting, and suffering a vertebral compression fracture (T-11) this summer (worse pain and disability than a THR!), I finally had my second surgery on that hip on Oct 27, 2016. Two surgeons worked on me, and repaired the torn tendons, did a bursectomy and exploratory to make sure that my prostheses were in tight and right.

I am 5 weeks out and have one more week of 20 pound weight-bearing and brace wearing. In a week I ditch the brace and start putting my full weight on that leg and making my gluteus medius and minimus muscles start to work again after 17 months! So far, I have minimal pain, and beyond the first day or two after the surgery, have used nothing but acetaminophen. Haven't used those for 3 weeks. I'm sleeping well, using a hospital bed at home. Everything is the opposite of what I went through with the THR! I think that going to a great rehab facility for 2 weeks post-op really helped, mainly because I wasn't tempted to overdo things, like I would have if I went home right away. 

So, in a couple of months, I'll know if I can get back to normal - walking without pain and aids, after all of this time.

Happy Holidays, Rose, to you and your loved-ones! Enjoy your lovely life!

• Posted

I had a THR and they found a torn Gluteous Minimus and repaired it. Luckily they found it when I had my hip surgery. I am 15 weeks and can walk well with some discomfort in my quads and outside of my knee.

I was hoping to be back competing with my dogs in agility but that is not going to happen for a few more months.

• Posted

Diane, it is terrific that they found and repaired that tear! Glad to hear you can walk well, and hope that those painful areas feel better soon. 
    • Posted

Oh my goodness Annie, I had no idea you were going through so much. I haven't seen any posts from you so assumed you still waiting for your surgery. You have been repaired at long last, and now we can pray for a good outcome finally. Are the surgeons hopeful it was a success from their point of view?

I am glad you are home and soon to ditch the brace, which will be a complete joy for you after six weeks. Will you keep us posted as to how you are doing? I will try and check the forum more often. You have been through so much, with such grace, and have supported so many others - I can only hope this really works for you. Wishing you a wonderful christmas! 

• Posted

Great news Rose. I had THR nearly 5 months ago, love my new hip. Enjoy your riding!
  • Posted

Congrats rose l was with you at that time to it will be 1 year on the 15th dec since my 1st hip replacement and in feb it will be a year since my 2nd. It was a hard joirney and like you l coukd not have got through it without all you on here at that time. I am getting on ok to had 1 knee replacement in august and am now back at my work part time. Still to have other knee done but am holding off as long as l can and am doing ok. The forum was a godsend from the very start and l still can not fully let it go.

But nice to hear you are getting back on the horse l remember you talking about it way back.

Love

Laura x

• Posted

hi laura, 

good to see you here, darling and to read that you are sort of getting on okay ... 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Laura

So good to hear you are back at work. How's the knee recovery? How is your mum? Xxx

• Posted

Hey Fern and Renee

I am doing ok my knee is still pretty sore at times but my life has been taken over witg my mum.

It was touch and go there for a few weeks as she went dowmhill and list her fight to get better. We though she was going ibto a hospice as she was that bsd but she has suddenly got so much better past 4 days it seems that she is coming back to us.

Nice speaking to you both again and hope your ok.

Love

Laura xx

• Posted

You got back to work! Gosh you have been through it, and I know it was a huge step for you emotionally as well as physically to go back to work, but you did it!! Every week passes we get a bit better - healing in different ways.

I too need another hip replacement, last night my left hip was killing me, I had the usual gnawing pain...and wondered how I put up with it for so long last time!!!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.