Chest/rib cage discomfort

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hello all- has anyone had chest heaviness, more upon waking up, and very sore ribs especially in the back? It’s kind of achy when I try to take a deep breath...no real cough or wheezing. Nothing has helped so far, I try To stretch my back out a lot and sometimes use a heating pad...of course add that to being soooooo tired all the time and I get paranoid I have lung cancer...I am 47, in good health generally but have really been suffering from perimenopause symptoms the last year or so..blood work 2 months ago showed that everything was fine, no infection, anemia or anything weird popping up, it’s just making me crazy how I feel right now. just looking to see if anyone had this same type of chest rib cage discomfort. Have a good day all❤

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hello Amy,

Yes, I do get rib cage and back discomfort regularly. The rib pain is always on the left for me and it's really common on this forum. I've no idea why we get it. I stretch, walk about etc, use heat sprays and cold packs. It generally passes with time, but if not I take a big ibuprofen and that resolves it. I know it can be really scary to get up each day with something new, but hang in there you're doing great I'm sure. If you're worried at all, go get it checked but I'm sure all will be well xxx

• Edited

Believe it or not, this is often a symptom of "silent acid reflux," which is common in peri. You don't have to have other symptoms to have it. You might try taking an antacid before bed and seeing whether it makes any difference.

• Posted

Hi Amy I feel the same, chest and rib discomfort. pain in my upper back. tired all the time no energy, and it does seem like every time I get there's something new to deal with. then I start worrying there's something seriously wrong with me cos surely the menopause can't cause these many problems/feeling. here's to us all staying strong xx

• Posted

Hi Amy!

Yes I get this too sometimes. I guess it's just another infamous symptom of menopause. I start fearing that it's my heart and or lung. But it could also be costochondritis which is inflammation of the cartilage surrounding the ribs. It is quite common in menopause. A lot of the women here have mentioned getting this too. What helps me is taking an ibuprofen. Hope you feel better soon. Take care.

• Edited

I first thoufh that I had written this until I realized that I haventnposted today . Thank

• Edited

isnt it crazy all the things that come up ams cause us to worry??!! ugh..so tired of it all..but glad we are not alone❤

• Edited

Amy ,I had to repost my phone just decided to post on its on before i could get a chance to edit. Anyway, as i was saying I thought I had posted this until i realized that i haven't posted today. Thanks for posting for me. 😊yes, I've been this way all week and it is aggravating and mind wondering ...I know my hubby is tired of me complaining every morning about it. I mentioned to my alternative dr yesterday ( by the way who's beginning to be of no use lately but selling supplements, concentrating on everything but hormones) He only said it's the body trying to transition ...duhh..tell me something I don't already know. There is a gel that I wanted he tried it on me one day and it actually helped. Women all over are getting great results, I'm thinking about trying it ..

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Can you please inbox me the name of the gel. Thanks! The moderator will most likely not allow it to be posted.

• Posted

and yes my hubby listens but certainly cant relate and gets tired of it...just ugh...im trying to drink more water, take b12 vitamins, use a heating pad and just try to relax a bit..easier said than done at this point!

• Posted

Hi. I have had strange left side rib pain; armpit pain/heavy ache. I have heard a popping' sound and experienced pain that bought me to my knees as I thought I had broken a rib. I have put this down to menopausal symptoms now as I had all the tests and xray and nothing medical could be found. My doctor sent me on my way with no real explanation as to why I was experiencing these symptoms. I have since learnt since joining the menopause site that this is 'normal ' for us. Hang on in there, the symptoms should pass... mine did x

• Posted

its crazy How little is known about this transition in our lives... and hell not much really helps. Thanks for responding and hang in there, we will stick together and get through this !

• Posted

hi amy, I am having the chest discomfort right now too. with me it's more of a ache and tightness. I dont know if its allergy related or hormones but I'm so tired of there always being something bothering me. hang in there, we'll all get through it eventually..

• Posted

Thank you for responding and yes we will, I’m so glad I found this group it has helped so much to know I’m not alone. Take care and try to relax.

• Edited

OMG THIS IS ME TOO! I ACTUALLY WENT TO THE DOCTORS YESTERDAY AS I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING PAIN AROUND THE LEFT SIDE OF MY RIBS AND LEFT SHOULDER BLADE WHICH AT TIMES TAKES MY BREATH AWAY AND HAS WOKEN ME UP AT NIGHT IF I LIE ON MY LEFT SIDE. I'VE BEEN TAKING PAINKILLERS ON AND OFF FOR NEARLY 3 WEEKS AND HAVE CONVINCED MYSELF I HAVE LUNG CANCER

THANK GOD FOR THIS FORUM WITHOUT IT I THINK I WOULD HAVE GONE RAVING MAD X

• Posted

Oh my goodness I can’t believe that you feel the exact same way! It’s ridiculous it’s hormones that make you feel so crazy and miserable! just why??!! UGH! Stay in touch, I am always here! Just when I got comfortable with myself and happy my job and feel like I kind of had it together, this garbage has to happen!

• Posted

Catryna24359 i am with you. I have been driving myself crazy thinking that i may have lung cancer too. I was in the ER yesterday because of racing heart and hard time breathing. Legs also weak. Did all sorts of tests which came back normal. This is so frustrating . Everyday a new symptom, Some days good others where i just sit and cry. I am 44 and the thought of yrs of this madness makes me worry the more. I go in today to see my doctor .I am learning to cope like everyone else. I am so grateful for this forum.

• Posted

This sounds like gastritis. I get those attacks too feels like someone has a hot and sharp blade going right in between my shoulder blades. It has woken me up too in the middle of the night. So scary! What sometimes helps me is to take an antacid like omeperazole.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.