Coming off 2.5mg of olanzapine.

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi

I plan to come off as soon as possible as i need to lose weight for surgery.

I cannot get dissolvable tablets. My plan is to alternate 2.5 and 1.25 for 2 weeks then 1.25 for 2 weeks. If that goes well i will jump off then if not i plan to crush the tablets and eat the powder and alternate 1.25 and 0.6 ish for 2 weeks then 0.6 ish for 2 weeks then off.

I have only been on then nearly 5 months and although i think they help the weight gain is too much. I am on other meds which mean i will be getting totally meds free.

Any advice or experience welcome. What withdrawal symptoms can i expect ?

2 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi All,

This is my first post and not sure if done it in the right place. But my question is about coming off 2.5mg olanzapine.

I’ve been on 5mg for the last 10 years for schizoaffective disorder. It is like schizophrenia but with mood aspects to it such as mania. Basically this medication has kept me symptom free.

About six months ago at my instigation, and after talking it over with my psychiatrist, I went from 5mg down to 2.5mg over a month. This was done by taking 5 and 2.5 on alternate nights for the month. The only side effects I noticed was at the point where I effectively went from 3.75 to 2.5 (ie. at the end of the month) and they were a cold sweat at night for one or two nights and a bit of mild insomnia for a couple of nights. I have not experienced any further psychotic symptoms since cutting down.

I now want to test the waters a bit and see if I actually still need to be on this drug. I am planning to drop from 2.5mg to 0 over a month. I plan to do it by taking 2.5 and 0 on alternate nights for a month. Does any one see any issues with this seeing as though my drop from 5 to 2.5 went so smoothly?

I would ideally take 1.25 for a month but I get 10mg tablets so it’s hard to cut them down in to 1/8ths.

• Posted

Is there any possibility to buy 2.5 mg tablets of olanzapine to cut them 4 pieces to taper?
  • Posted

Hi Sarah I just wanted to say to you and everyone else coming off olanzapine be very careful and cut down slowly as I just stopped completely one day and that was last august and have many problems caused by this my doctor is little help for me have been house bound for a month now because olanzapine gave me diabetes type 2 came of in august because I felt so unfit and my weight gain sleeping was just not happen ING and my anxiety hit the roof so I walked so much in august and September hopefully this will help me sleep no it didn't but because my apertite was so bad lost 2 and a half stone in two months my feet went numb the day after I stopped olanzapine and still are now I have nuoropthy caused by diabetes and get terrible spasms in my body when I try and rest and sleep since stopping my memory is terrible I can't think straight and don't remember how to spell a lot of word's I'm clumsy keep spilling things I used to be a fairly intelligent man I'm 55 by the way and was put on 20mg of olanzapine for 21 years for personal ality probs I was never skitzaphenic but being on that tab can give you the symptoms although I have health problems now I just feel different I feel alive again and have been given my head back I feel so bad for not getting of this alfall drug sooner look on the net everywhere you can find someone talking about it and you tube to and don't give up get off it but please please talk to your doctor and come of slowly I am not saying everyone should come off but your doctor will help. I just recently found CBD oil 10% strength has been a great help for me sleeping start with a couple of drop to try and build up. My olanzapine made me sleep so much it's hard to sleep without but don't take CBD with olanzapine it will double effect I am just saying I believe in the oil and it has helped me I hope to have helped Somone with my article and get back to me if I can help in any way as there is other stuff I know but tired now.

• Posted

I am sorry Marty ,that what you are facing now?did you stop olanzapine cold Turkey!? What a mistake.Are you facing dreams like hallucinations?I cold turkeyed risperidone and fasing dreams from more than one year.
    • Posted

Hi apu91247 yes went cold turkey it was a big mistake but have found out a lot more since then and I'm definitely going to change my doctor I have been having fits when sleeping since August and after arguments with him yesterday he has just put me on pregabalin and what a difference no twitching or spasms. That's why I was so confused I think and hope and I can move on. I still have hulosonations and bad totally random dreams but not last night so far. I broke my foot a month ago having a twitch at night kicked a table and that's why painful to walk just need to rest. Not taking cbd oil with new med yet see how I go. So to sum it up olanzapine gave me diebeties witch later caused neuropathy and T L E my doctor is useless and I know he is probably covering up for his mistakes as he is so reluctant to give me any help. If you're doctor doesn't work for you then get a second opinion it's your life after all and although it's been a hard battle I see light at the end of the tunnel. Don't give up.

• Posted

I got flash backs halusioations and totally random agresive and bizarre night terrors witch is what I call them. I have to sleep with the lamp on now. And don't look forward to sleep any more.

• Posted

My dreams are just cool dreams.Hypnopompic hallocinations.May be Because I am on olanzapine they are cool.

Only once I faced hypnagogia and acted out which is horrific.

• Posted

My dream state I know now is from withdrawal from olanzapine and also

TLE caused by being on it so long. I've had two spasms in the past month when asleep lasting 1/2 sec that were so bad I kicked my bed and broke my foot each time.

• Posted

Hi apu I just wanted to stop taking them but had no advice or insight in how to. My doctor did this and imidiatly changed me to quitiapine overnight. I trusted him but later found out he had no authority to do this only a qualified sycaiatrist can make changes to new antiphycotics and basically he started my downfall.
    • Posted

Oh Marty,my doctor made me to stop risperidone cold turkey.Immediately put me on olanzapine.I am suffering from one year.
    • Posted

What side effects are you having I may be able to help. I was on both of them at different times. Please let me know what doses you were on and for how long too. And any other meds you are also on with olanzapine now.
    • Posted

My sleep was Disturbed with hypnogogic and hypnopompic hallucinations due to risperidone cold turkey.So he put me on 5 m.g of olanzapine.Even though I am sleeping 8 hours, hallucinations are still there.

I tapered olanzapine slowly.Now I am at 2.5 mg dose.Other medicine I am using is tryhexiphenidyl 2 mg at mornings.I am taking whole b vitamins at afternoon.

• Posted

Are halusioations happened during sleep or half sleep or in day when awake are you feeling paranoid. Or anxiety. Any sweating palpitations or depression. What is your concentration like and are you restless. And how is your appetite. Have you put on weight or have you lost any.
    • Posted

When I first cold turkeyed risperidone I faced only sleep disturbance.When I attempted to sleep dreams Disturbed my sleep.If I sleep with effort dreams Disturbed my sleep.So again I went to the same doctor who put me on risperidone and olanzapine.I cold turkeyed both.Then I faced all the things you have written.Full day suffering until 2 weeks.Then I changed the doctor.,who helped me to taper risperidone slowly ,and put me on olanzapine for sleep also helped with tryhexiphenidyl for not to have any ugly side effects like tremors from olanzapine.From olanzapine I lost appetite.My weight is stable.
    • Posted

Your appetite will definitely inprove so don't worry there. Dreams are related to olanzapine either on it or worse coming of Wil not improve much while on olanzapine I'm afraid. But can be accelerated by alcohol caffeine or certain vitamin suplyments. I wouldn't take b vits unless you really are very dificant as they just don't go well with olanzapine. Much better to have smaller doses in food as I found my body absorbed them easily better. Even rice crisspies I still have a lot of now and no nuerophen tabs for pain. No smoking vaping fine 6mg or lower. Cbd oil helps bad dreams to and more continual sleep to instead of waking every half hour.

• Posted

Are your fits intense? I have ripped a tendon in my shoulder and i have no idea how I did this except that I remember having restless sleeps last year when I was trying to come off olanzapine, I'm sure I was flinging my arms around in my sleep and then it got really sore the next day.  I have no real explanation for my shoulder as I was not playing any sports or anything at the time, but you broke your foot that's pretty hard out.

I am now 22 weeks off Olanzapine, still have bad sleeps, but feeling way better and have lost about 9 or 10 kgs. Finally drug free!!

• Posted

Hi Bridget nice to hear from you been feeling a little bit better these last few weeks now am eating again and trying to get as much exercise as possible but have neuropathy in my feet now and it is difficult to get about

Even with all this pain and suffering from my feet and lack of sleep I still think coming of olanzapine was the best thing I have ever done. I am alive again and enjoy the little things in my life that just use to pass me by will talk with you again take care x

• Posted

Hi marty i have been on olanzapine for 2years now i was on 5 mg a day december last year my dr ut me on 2.5 at night i have been off drugs for 3 years just marijuana it has been 3 months since i have been on 2.5 at night next month my dr is taking me off the meds will i get withdrawals please reply back

• Posted

If your doctor will make you to stop olanzapine 2.5 mg too quick you will get withdrawl which will effect your sleep. Buy pill cutter online and make 2.5 mg tablet into 4 pieces. First month take 3 pieces, second month take 2 pieces, last month take 1 piece. Next take 1 piece alternate day for 20 days then stop.In this way you will come out olanzapine safely.good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.