Coming off 2.5mg of olanzapine.

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi

I plan to come off as soon as possible as i need to lose weight for surgery.

I cannot get dissolvable tablets. My plan is to alternate 2.5 and 1.25 for 2 weeks then 1.25 for 2 weeks. If that goes well i will jump off then if not i plan to crush the tablets and eat the powder and alternate 1.25 and 0.6 ish for 2 weeks then 0.6 ish for 2 weeks then off.

I have only been on then nearly 5 months and although i think they help the weight gain is too much. I am on other meds which mean i will be getting totally meds free.

Any advice or experience welcome. What withdrawal symptoms can i expect ?

2 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been on onalazapine for 2 months thought I could come off went to 1 25 for 2 weeks and then off I was fine except trouble sleeping for week and half then the nausea feeling terrible noise in my ears came back but not as bad had to go back on 1 25 going to do it much slower now got to get off this drug
  • Posted

Was on olanzapine for 2 months started with 2.5 then moved to 5mg. Having trouble finding a doc that will perscribe medicine so I ran out. Tappered down 2.5 the last week I was on it. My body aches and I'm freezing but sweating at night. The medicine was very effective for me although I've read and heard its a very serious drug to get off of. I have an appointment Inna few days to get back on it. Any good alternative. I have severe depression and severe panic disorder. Once I started olanzapine I was like a new person with the energy and WANT to get out of bed and live life. I don't hear voices, never did. Nor see things. I'm also on effexor and propanol and xanex. Any suggestions or opinions. Thanks

• Posted

Martizipan ? I was on this alone for panic attacks and servere anxiety really helpful 👍 after coming off olanzapine it's not like your usual anti depressants just work's 😁 the less other medications your on the betterinteraction's. Well worth a look.

• Posted

Do you mean mirtazapine ? What dose are you on ?

I am tapering from 45mg.......am on 41.25.....about to drop to 35mg. The withdrawal from that is rough too.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, hope things are going well with you. I have been reading your notes and have decided to share with someone who can understand what my husband is going through. He has been taking olanzapine for around 4 yrs pr so for depression and anxiety. He is feeling the need to stop taking it because of the side effects he is experiencing.
    • Posted

Thank you , for the input. I did read that in the forum along with other things. He is so messed up at the moment so I suggested he wait until his next appointment before we start this adventure.

His meds were changed 4 times in the last couple of months so he is pretty stressed out. We went to see a psychiatrist and not sure why but they told him to stop taking the 2.5. He now seems to be suffering the consequences from that bad advice. Praying he will balance out by his appointment.

Do you know if the 2.5 comes in different forms? I was reading that the one he is on should not be crushed, cut or broken.

• Posted

Yes, totally agree with all you said. Will update post as soon as we start.
  • Posted

I have been on olanzapine for about 2 years now, i have tapered down gradually from 10mg to 2.5mg. Currently i am on 2.5mg for about a month now, please what dose should i take next and for how long? and i am also on epilim vasporate 200mg for about 2 years too, how do i withdraw from that too? thanks

• Posted

well done. try and get liquid olanzapine. it won t be easy. if not you will have to dry cut. go to 1.25 then 0.625 then stop. hold for 1 to 2 months at each drop.

not sure about the valporate. that is a low dose. you must wait till you are off olanzapine and stable first. never to 2 meds together.

• Posted

Hi Sarah I was off olanzapine for 5 months but had to go back as could not get my apatite back on 2.5 now dangerous drug to mess about with got heart palpation coming off with other terrible effects won't bother anymore trying to come off

• Posted

how long were you on it ?

i have stayed off but am on other meds that i am struggling to get off now

• Posted

I was on it 2 months tapered down 2 months then off 5 months now back on it 7months it frightens me coming off had terrible side effects

• Posted

the only way is to go slow. i used liquid. i still got withdrawals but they passed but i am on other meds so maybe that made it easier. it is a very powerful med.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.