Coming off citalopram. :(

Posted , 299 users are following.

I've been on 20mg citalopram now for just over a year. I decided to come off about 3 weeks ago as I had

started to feel so much better, which I put down to a combination of counselling and the drug which really did do wonders for my depression. I actually hadn't realised quite how bad it was till I started taking citalopram and I felt normal!

I've come off it properly, one every 2 days, then half every 2, then quarter every 2/3 days. The whole process took about 3/4 months. Now I'm on nothing. The physical withdrawl hasn't been too bad. I've been dizzy and kinda sick for the first week or so and that's starting to go now. However I've been feeling awful emotionally. I feel just as bad as I did before I started the medication, worse even! I feel incompetent at my job and I've even started wondering if it's right for me, I'm a teacher and I've always loved my job. I'm becoming paranoid about my relationship and tearful at the slightest thing.

I feel very depressed and unstable if that makes sense. I almost feel suicidal. Is this normal?? I really need some reassurance that I won't need to be on this for the rest of my life. sad

23 likes, 1894 replies

1894 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarahdee,

It's good to hear that you are now ok, since stopping Cit.20.

I stopped taking Cit.10 at the end of July and this time I don't remember any side effects. Obviously I wasn't quite ready the first time. My doctor has supported me all the way and I took on board what she advised.

The only thing now is to lose the 2st I put on and I do think that was due to taking Cit. I developed a rather sweet tooth sad and I would often dip in the Chocolate spread (Nutella) jar and have a few heaped teaspoons. Now I am not bothered!!!

Citalopram has done it's job to get me back to the person I was before getting ill.

I am due to see the doctor fairly soon, just for a review and a chat. Thankfully she is a caring doctor!

Coming off Cit. can be done, but I think it needs to be done gradually!!

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hiya everyone , have been on cit 10 mg for 5 weeks very little time I know ,but I have gained a stone , I haven't eaten any more or exercised less , but I feel a lot better in myself and really wan to try and stop takin this stuff ...... I know there can be side effects but as I've only been on it a short time does anyone think its gonna cause problems ?thanks
    • Posted

the fact you've only been on it for 5 weeks means that the citalopram has only just had chance to get working properly and for your body to adjust to it. To just stop taking it would cause more harm, leaving you feeling incredibly ill with it. Stick at taking it; it isn't something you can stop and start taking like that. It isn't a sweet; so you either stick at it and take it or you don't take it at all. Otherwise you will just confuse your body and it won't know it's at from 1 day to the next. I think you'd benefit from talking to your Dr
  • Posted

Hi guys. A few years ago I was on venlafaxine for a year following divorce and redundancy. I started getting my life on track and came off the drug for a year. I then started a Uni course (I'm 39), and started getting very anxious - that was a Sept 2011. At that time I started taking 20mg Citalopram. A few months ago I had a low period and my doctor increased my citalopram level to 40mg.

It's now coming up to exam time and my memory is shocking. Even when in mid sentence I can forget what I was going to say, let alone study for an exam (2nd year sociology - I want to help people with mental health issues). Also when I look at a computer screen I start going into a trance and my vision goes blurry. Another thing that is getting me down is the weight I've put on since taking citalopram - about 2.5st. My doctor doesn't agree that my academic performance and weight are related to citalopram.

I have had enough and want to come off the drug completely. I am beginning to think it is making my life worse!

It is now Dec 10th and my exams start Jan 15th. Although I want to stop citalopram to help my memory, I am worried that the side effects of stopping it will interrupt my studying - Ahhh.

Any suggestions welcomed and good luck to every one

• Posted

Jonny im 32 here in Australia, how have you found your drive in bed??

ive been on 20mg for 8 years and am down to a 20mg every second day,....

hoping the sex area imporves

• Posted

Its quite a difficult thing to come off citalopram. Most doctors would disagree telling you they are not addictive. But they are, in as much as your brain becomes accustomed to having the drug. I have been on this drug for nearly 16 years and have tried on various occasions to stop taking them. The doctors tell you 'take one every other day' then 'one every 3 days' etc., etc., but this is totally wrong. I read a really interesting book about the seretonin syndrome..............which is the symptoms you get when you reduce or stop. Basically the best way to do it is to cut it down so slowly that it will take you months, not weeks to do. I'm, thinking about doing it soon myself. Start by shaving (with a knife or blade of some kind) a tiny amount off the tablet for at least two weeks (trying to ensure you shave off the same amount each time), then after two weeks shave off a little more, and so on until you have no tablet left. This should go on some time to make your brain get used to not having the chemical it has been used to having. I'm talking months here. That way, unless you do it too soon, you shouldnt notice too many effects. The emotional instability, anxiety etc., are typical symptoms of coming off the drug too quickly. Also I suffered from 'brain zaps' mainly during the night. A horrible feeling in your head but apparently not in any way dangerous. Citalopram is a superb drug............but most people would rather not be taking it for years on end. I do still suffer with anxiety (especially health anxiety!) but I dont feel I am depressed and havent been for years, but I felt for a while the drug had a hold on me. However as I said before I am going to give it a go again using the aforementioned plan..............it can be done!! But anyone out there who only takes the drug for a few weeks or months shouldnt consider coming off it too soon as normally you would need to be on it at least 6 months to a year to get the full effect.I put on weight too by the way - about a stone and a half and thats another thing the doctor is wrong about. I was told it wasnt the citalopram causing the weight gain!! Good luck to everyone!!!
    • Posted

Thank you for your post!  I was on 40 mg. for 4 years.  Went on 30 for 2 months, recently and now I'm on 20 mg. and will stay on for another month or more.  Yes, Celexa weaning is very difficult, expecially since I now have terrible insomnia!  Your post encourges me to keep going, SLOWLY!  Thank you and God bless!
    • Posted

I was on Celexa for over three years. I have been off now for over a month. I weaned from 40 mg's. It took several months and trial and error... but I am off and feeling clear headed. You can do it!!
    • Posted

Hi you have really helped me I have decided to go back on cit as I am really suffering with the symptoms even tho my docs said I have come off them extremely slow but now I know it needs to be over months not weeks  and I have been suffering with seritonine syndrome after reading this. The side affects are still so intense! I will keep you posted and hopefully I will b off them this year. Thank you so much
    • Posted

your post encouraged me thank you so much!!!! I am off the meds was on 40mg for 18 Months and off gradually the last month. I have never had withdrawals so I thought I was losing my mind, now I know it is just a temporary loss of my mind. Thank you again
    • Posted

I've been taking it for about 5 years and have been slowly weening myself off it for the last 6 months or so; but these last 2 weeks my phone hasn't been going off in the mornings with the reminders for me to take it (was doing 1 tablet of 10mg of the 4th day) so I have now gone 9 days without one and have been feeling some side effects which have consisted of an upset/unsettled stomach, headaches, my legs feel ridiculously weak and very teary at the most stupid of things (lol) I keep welling up at songs in the car and have to look out the window and pull myself together haha! But, I've done it now so there is no point trying to get back on track with taking them, will have to just ride the symptoms out (unless they get worse!!!)

• Posted

I've been taking it for about 5 years and have been slowly weening myself off it for the last 6 months or so; but these last 2 weeks my phone hasn't been going off in the mornings with the reminders for me to take it (was doing 1 tablet of 10mg of the 4th day) so I have now gone 9 days without one and have been feeling some side effects which have consisted of an upset/unsettled stomach, headaches, my legs feel ridiculously weak and very teary at the most stupid of things (lol) I keep welling up at songs in the car and have to look out the window and pull myself together haha! But, I've done it now so there is no point trying to get back on track with taking them, will have to just ride the symptoms out (unless they get worse!!!)

• Posted

Hi - just discovered this forum and wanted to thank you for your comments.  After 2 years,  Have gone from a month of 20mg one day to 10th every other day and now on 10mg every day. I thought my upset tummy was a separate issue so it was good to read that it was a shared experience.  Am waking during the night but finding a glass of water seems to send me back off at the moment. Feeling shaky today but think I'll be fine once the day gets going. Tempting to up the dose to be honest as have felt so well  on.the 20/10 dose.  I've gained 2 stone on these pills and have reached the point where I don't want to carry on gaining. Dilemma.  
    • Posted

I didn't seem to gain weight when taking mine but just bothered that now I'm off them I might :-/ (nots ure how that would actually work lol) I had a few days of feeling pretty shaky and weak when the side effects were at their worse but if you fight it through these will pass. I'm still incredibly teary at pretty much anything, especially the John Lewis Xmas advert! So not sure if this is some sort of side effect that my hormones are still trying to adjust too since not taking them. I had a bit of a blip last week where I felt really low and cried and felt like I needed to be on them but after chating with my mum pulled myself together; however, I have reverted back to some insecurities about my appearance and full of self loathing and comparing myself to others (which was an old trait before I started them) but I am determined to teach myself to stop it, I need to keep strong if I'm going to stay off these.

If you were to continue taking your pill pattern I'm pretty sure you wouldn't keep gaining weight; I'd say that if you have put on then that'll be all you'll put on now but if it is getting you down try and cut back on  what ever your weakness is (I'm trying to lose some weight and using the app My Fitness Pal) it's quite good, I'd recommend it, but cutting back on chocolate is a killer! Hope you stop waking during the night and start to manage a full nights', proper sleep. :-)

• Posted

how long did it take you to get of the meds and how long have you been of them lauraxxx

• Posted

I was weening off them for about 2.5 years doing 10mg every other day for a few months, then went to every 2 days, then evry 3 days and finally every 4 days (until my reminders stopped going off on my phone!) It was a really gradual thing because if you do it too quick you'll just crash and burn.

I've now been off them about a month x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.