Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 136 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I've been on Mirtazapine 30mg since Feb his year but I've had alot of problems with. Ear infections, burning mouth syndrome etc. so my Psychiatrist think's I should come of it. He told me to cut down to 15mg and only take them for a week and then just stop. So I finally stopped taking the 15mg on Mon night and I feel terrible.

It's not just my moods (my depression/anxiety had been great before coming off med), I physically feel really sick, been feeling extremely nauseated and last night couldn't sleep because I kept thinking I was going to throw up. Is this a normal reaction coming off mirtazapine?

Because my depression/anxiety had gotten alot better, we didn't feel the need to just take me off mirtazapine and put on on another drug because I thought I was cured. Plus, I don't want to take any more antidepressants at all really.

PLEASE, any help or advice you offer would be greatly appreciated because I'm really worried now and I don't want to have to go back to taking mirtazapine sad .

Will the withdrawal last long? How long will it take to fully get the tablets out of my system?

Please help,

thanks,

Star

7 likes, 878 replies

878 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I went to 7.5mg for two days. Then 3.25 for two days. Then 0.

5 days so far and feel great. My sleep isn’t as solid but I can live with it. Better to be chemical free.

• Posted

Please, let us know if your sleep gets worse.
    • Posted

I know you know about this, so how can someone go 7.5 to 3.75 to off in a week or so.??
    • Edited

Hi folks, 5 years ago to this day, for 3 months, I was having a hell of a time with mirt withdrawal. I came off cold turkey and took the road to hell and back. It can be a long road but you will find your feet again. Keep reminding yourself that it is withdrawal and even talk to yourself, to keep check on yourself. You can't fool yourself, right?

It's good to see this thread is still going. Make sure to read right through this thread, it helped me so much... If you are having bad panicky times then do ask your doctor about propranolol, it helped me also... it's a beater blocker that stops adrenaline rushes which I had badly for the first two weeks. It takes the edge off bad anxiety attacks. I took it for a little over a month, no side effects or withdrawal, it helped so much. Keep on reaching out to each other and remember you are not alone. Take care and be as strong as you can, you will get better...

• Posted

Thanks for your info.  Very helpful, and lucky you on the other side now. 

My dr gave me diazepam for the anxiety and ive been using it for months now, never needed it before.  Do you think they would five me propanolol as i dont have racing heart with the anxiety, and i am on warfarin so it might not be possible.

• Posted

I don't know. I only know that benzo withdrawl is terrible.

• Posted

Yes. It is. Clonazepam works great at night for anxiety but is hell when you skip 2 days.
  • Posted

I took my last tab on 1/4. It’s now 4/5. Can honestly say I feel great. Have started sleeping better, not as good as when on them, but have to expect that. Nausea has settled. Headaches gone. I’ve lost 4kg. I was on avanza for 10 years. You can do it. Stay strong and weather the storm!! 
  • Posted

Hi Lizzy,

I have been off Mirtazapine since November of 2017. I did go through horrible withdrawals even tapering down. I still get headaches and nausea and vertigo with blurred vision. I'm just glad not to be on them anymore. I did lose about 17 pounds. The anxiety, sleep disturbances and panic attacks have started to creep back. I'm managing somehow. I'm guessing I took the drug for several years, it takes the rewiring of brain chemicals awhile to balance out. The rashes and itching finally stopped at month 4. That was weird. Totally fine now.

Anna

• Posted

Hi anna34864

Good to hear you’re going well. I still have a rash on my neck and head. Quite itchy at times. My sneezing is next level which I find crazy too. So many things have happened since coming off.  I agree it will take a while to rewire the brain. It’s a good feeling knowing we’ve come through the other side. This forum has definitely helped me in that so many of you experienced very similar things to me so didn’t feel so alone! 

• Edited

Been on 45mg for a couple of months up until 4 days ago when I decided to quit cold turkey. First night without Mirtazapine was sleepless, I just felt wide awake all the way into the next day. Had some mild headache the consequent days - which I'm not even sure I can attribute to getting off the meds - but other than that I have not noticed anything. 

I'm surprised so many have bad withdrawal symptoms even on low dosages while I have none on 45mg. Really shows how diverse the reactions to this drug is. Will post an update if things worsen.     

• Posted

Lucky you haven’t felt too bad. Perhaps the fact you weren’t on them for too long. I feel pretty good considering I was on for 10 years and have only been off for 5 weeks. Could definitely do with more sleep so hoping this will eventually improve. Keep us posted 
    • Posted

The weight loss is my favourite part of all this. 5kg so far!
    • Posted

Lizzy how long did it take you to come off and how did you do it.  I was on 30m about 3 years and came off. Had lots of problems. Went back on a year ago but only 15m. Have been reducing over a 6 month period. I am now down to approx 3m (half of a half.). A bit afraid to stop it altogether because of what happened before (. 2-3 hours sleep per night, excessive weight loss, high anxiety). Thx for sharing
    • Posted

Hi linda55581.  I did it over 2 months. I reduced my 7.5mg to half for a month, then half of half for 2 weeks then half of half every second day for 2 weeks then stopped. Sleep was awful for a few weeks, headaches and nausea were terrible as well.  I actually had an average night last night but I’m sure I’ll be ok tonight. Had a bit anxiety because I couldn’t get back to sleep so did some deep breathing. It’s no walk on the park that’s for sure.  Was on it for 10 years so naturally it will take time. I tried 5 years ago but didn’t taper like this time...maybe that’s the key. Good luck Linda....you can do it!!
    • Posted

Hi Lizzy,  I like your idea of doing half of the half every other night.  I will give that a try next.  Good luck to you as well.  Please keep me posted.  I would love to know how long it takes you to have consistency in your sleep and to feel "Nomal"   For sure the lack of sleep is a major contributor to our anxiety.  Thank you for your support.  I don't think anyone can understand how difficult this is unless they have experienced it personally.

• Posted

Agree. Unless you go through it, you can’t possibly understand just how disruptive it is. Just he from work and feeling absolutely exhausted, have a headache and body is aching. Fingers crossed I get some sleep tonight. I’ve been going well so don’t know what happened last night 
    • Posted

I had severe side effects after being on it for several years. The longer you took the drug, the harder the withdrawl. Low dose drug 7.5 mg is usually given for night time sedation if you have night panic attacks. Mine were due to breathing problems from allergies and obstructive turbinate. I didn't suffer from depression but felt similar to someone with sleep apnea. Research says the low dose is more seating and can be a bugger to get off of if taken for years. I'm glad you have not had to deal with the rashing, weight gain and stomache upset etc. It has been 5.5 months and I'm still dealing with side effects.

• Posted

I agree Anna. I still have headaches, periods of sleeplessness and rash on my head and neck. I was put on it for insomnia after an anaesthetic. I’m happy that I can at least fall asleep now, which I couldn’t do before. I know I’ve still got a way to go but feeling positive about not being reliant on this drug! Love this forum
    • Posted

I am off it three months and feel terrible.. the sleeeplessness is really bad and i am wakingknwith extreme anxiety.  Trying to cope with diazepam but not working.  Dr doesnt know how to proceed.
    • Posted

Gabriel

I am on mirtazapam. I was o 45 mg but couldn’t stand the side effects so was reduced to 30 but felt numb and lethargic all the time and an increase in joint pain. As of yesterday I’ve gone to 15mg and hav now got an horendous headache, and feel like I have the flu. Have u experienced similar to me. I’m tempted to stopping completely but not sure how to do it as my gp thinks i shouldn’t have any problems ??? . Any comments/ experiences would be great . Chris 

Ps did u at any time get tinitus on mirtazapam and headaches 

• Posted

Lizzy

I am just going through coming off mirtazapam. Was on 45 mg terrible side effects then down to thirty for a week and now I’m being put on 15 mg. to be honest I don’t know what day of the week it’s is as I have felt so sick with headaches twitching and joint pain and stiffness. Have I had any problems like that I no everybody’ is different Chris 

• Posted

Hi Chris. 

I still have tinnitus...terribly. I’m hoping it will settle in time. It’s awful.  I was originally put on mirtz for insomnia. I couldn’t fall asleep after an anesthetic...not even for a second. So the fact that I can fall asleep is a win for me. Sleeps not great and generally only for 3-5 hours at a time. Some nights worse than others. The brain has to retrain so that will take time.  I had similar problems when I changed dosages

• Posted

Thank you Lizzy. It’s hard to keep going sometimes. I’ve been given zopiclone for slee which helps but I know I’m already addicted to them so that’s another battle to take on
    • Posted

Can I ask did I get muscle stiffness and numb patches as well
    • Posted

Sorry bad English did u get muscle stiffness 
    • Posted

You have to tapper off. You are sick, cuz you are cut dose down to fast, go back to 25 mg, for a few weeks, then 20, 15, 10, 5. If you stop cold turkey, you will get really, really sick. Don't do that.

• Posted

Thanks,my gp said I wouldn’t have any problems how wrong she was.,Thank you for responding it’s nice to know that there are others out there with similar issues 

Chris 

• Posted

Hi sorry for jumping in ive put on 2 stone n tapering down from 45 to 30 now 15mg but dont feel im losing thee weight maybe its still too come i hope x
    • Posted

Hi kaz. I didn’t lose any weight when I went down in dosage, just when I stopped completely.  
    • Posted

Thats what im thinking of doing im down from 45 to 30 n now 15 i feel massive 😢x

• Posted

Have you been ok coming off them sorry for all the questions ive been well tapering down from 45mg to 30 n then 15 im just scared to come off completly x
    • Posted

Hi Kaz. It’s really hard to do I know. I actually feel pretty good. I’ve been off for 6 weeks now. The first few weeks were awful & I still have some nights where sleep isn’t great, but I’m ok. Don’t do it if you don’t feel strong enough to do it. 

• Posted

Yeah ive been tapering off for around 8 -9 weeks now n feel absolutely fine really want too stop them all together now if i can x
    • Posted

Im going too go for it shortly in the next couple of days either that or take 15mg every second day how u doing x
    • Posted

Maybe do 15 one day and 7.5 the other day for 2 weeks then 7.5 and half of that every other day for a couple of weeks then every second day. I’m ok. Just woke up. Sleep improving all the time 👍

• Posted

Hi Lizzy wondering how you are doing, I know it’s been a few months since your withdrawal. Also wondered if during your tapering off you experienced a sore throat or tingling in toes and more fatigue in the morning than night.  I am down to less than 3.5m but am afraid to pull off completely partially because of what i am experiencing and partially because I am going away for several days in a few weeks and don’t want to make things worse—- or might they get better?  Thank you!!!
    • Posted

Hi Linda,

I’m doing pretty good considering I was on them for 10 years and only been off completely for just over 2 months. Can’t say I experienced sore throats or tingling, but I’m sure someone has. It seems to affect us all differently. I think you have to expect side effects no matter what and for how long, I don’t know. I still have crappy sleep here and there, but I accept that it will never be as good as when on it.  However, it’s very liberating to have beaten it and the weight is still dropping off. 6kg down now!  Maybe wait to drop again until you get back from holiday, might be easier x

• Posted

Yes, that’s my plan but there is alway something that I know I need to be at the top of my game for.  Other than weight loss, have you seen other positive things?  
    • Posted

Much more brain clarity, memory better and don’t wake up with a foggy head! 
    • Posted

That’s enough for me to continue.  Any increase in anxiety and queezy stomach.  And do you feel better later in the day than in the morning
    • Posted

Can’t really say....think it depends on sleep as to how I feel when I wake up.  Some days more tired than others. I work full time so have to keep going 
    • Posted

Thank you Lizzy. Your comments and insights are very helpful.  All the best to you. 
    • Posted

How are side effects now? Have you had to use another anti dep instead.  They keep trying to put me on another but none seem tomsuit me and the w/d rom mirtaz still here four months on.
    • Posted

Hi Anna,

No I’m not anything. I still have some aches in my legs and headaches and of course sleep isn’t always great, but that’s it. I’m also going through menopause so hard to know what symptoms are from that as well! What withdrawals are you still having? Are you on something now?

• Posted

Hi Karen, 

I’m actually doing pretty well. The first 4-6 weeks were rough but I’m winning now. How about you?  X

• Posted

Sorry for jumping in here but my nausea so bad even wondered if I could be pregnant I'm off them about 6 weeks now n nausea is there as soon as I wake up n goes on n off all day xx

• Posted

Sorry Lizzy just ignore that I've seen how u getting on further up great advice xx

• Posted

I didn’t have the nausea for that long. Yuk. Did have it initially but not that bad. Have you done preg test?
    • Posted

No, tried several, all awful side effects but still anxious and depressed.  Dr cant find me anything.
    • Posted

Hi Ann

Sorry to hear you’re not doing too well.  How long have you been off mirtz?

• Posted

I'm doing ok had a lot of nausea tho n not sleeping great n been really angry sometimes really not like me at all but think it's too do with the lack of sleep xxx

• Posted

No not done test absolutely terrified my 2 kids are teenagers just hoping it's just nausea xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.