Taking Levothyroxine at night improved my life.

Posted , 159 users are following.

I was put on 50mcg of the stuff at xmas 2013, then after 3months put on 100mcgs. First of all I felt all over the place, disorientated like I had vertigo,then I changed to taking the pill last thing at night and the difference is remarkable, I wake up earlier, feel more refreshed and active, the feeling of disorientation has gone and my recent blood test was excellent and the doseage was working. Has anyone else had similar symptoms and found changing to a nightly dose has really helped them.

22 likes, 260 replies

260 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I also take mine after 10pm. About 2-3 hours after dinner. For years I took it first thing in the morning before food. I suffered from nausea, headache and brain fog until I changed the timing. I am probably 50% better now after 3 months of taking it at night. Worth a try.
    • Posted

what mcg are you on I am on 100mcgs. just begining to feel normal again,it has taken 6 months.
    • Posted

I was on 100 mcgs for years but recently upped it to 114 mcgs. They don't make a tablet that amount so I have to take one extra pill per week. I usually take two on sundays so I don't forget.
    • Posted

What a palava, I am sure I would forget. Funny  thing is I never even knew I had an underactive thyroid and felt okay. I guess a whole load of people would be diagnosed with it if their GP got them checked for it. I heard 33% of the UK population is suffering either with over or under active thyroid problems.
  • Posted

I changed to taking my tablets at night about a month ago and I feel so much better no feeling sick in the morning no giddiness on the walk to work and no muzzy headed feeling brilliant.

• Posted

I have been on  thyroxin 50mg for almost 20yrs and have been ok up untill the last 12months and now i have been feeling dreadful 30mins after taking it in the morning,I feel sick, tired,hot sweats and no energy ,so I decieded not to take it this morning and boy do I feel better,full of energy and none of those horrible simptoms .

so I will try taking it at night as you have suggested Doreen and see how I get on .

thanks for your info.

• Posted

Hi Doreen.  I too have been on thyroid meds for over 20 years and have not

felt well in the mornings very draggy, not much energy. So I too will start to

take my thyroid at bed time and hope this makes a difference.  My one 

question to someone would be that I also take a sleep medication, so 

when would I take this in relation to the thyroid pill?

• Posted

Hi Norma, I too would like to switch to taking my medication at night, but also take Tylenol PM at night. It has tylenol in it and an antihistamine to make you sleepy. I saw your question about taking a sleep aid as well, and was wondering if anyone ever answered you, or if a doctor told you how to take your thyroid medicine at night along with a sleep aid?
  • Posted

Hi Doreen, I was on here searching for info about thyroxine as I have been prescribed it and saw reference to your foot lump.  I have a few Fibromas in both feet and am part of a very informative group of fellow sufferers on facebook, just search for Dupuytren,Ledderhose Support.
  • Posted

Nice to hear that I am not alone with this. Been on thyroxine for 30 years and doctors treat everyone the same. I am 53, menopausal, have an irregular heartbeat due to being overdosed on 200 mg for too long. Some days can't put one foot in front of the other, when I used to walk marathons. Feeling disorientated, brain fog especially and having sleepless nights. My husband understands but would like to see me out of this rut. Will try the night time advice and see how I get on. I can then have my porridge and coffee in the morning without any worries. At least my cholesterol is around 3.8 which is a good thing - porridge does work.
    • Posted

Hello my friends,

I am from Pa USA. Just curious to know, when you say porridge are you talking like an oatmeal? what is this porridge? And what do you add to it in order to eat it for breakfast?

Thank you,

Maggie

• Posted

Closely monitor your Lab results, if normal where do they fall in the so called normal level, closer to the high or closer to the low normal? I've heard this is very important.

Best bet is to seek alternative medicine Chinese medicine is great, some chiropractors are very knowledgeable also

• Posted

Hi Doreen,   thanks for putting this on the forum.  I will start taking my levo from this evening,  I am feeling pretty much the same as everyone else on here, low energy levels and brain fog.   My doc says that my dose is perfect and my bloods are perfect but I feel like a slug most of the time and have to really push myself for work purposes.  I seem to have acquired really dry skin on my heels the last few years how do other people treat it.  Thanks for this again Doreen.   I have been on thyroid medication now for about 16 years.   

• Posted

Hi I have had hypothyroid my whole life I have on 200 mg I have to take 2 Monday thru Friday and 3 Saturday and Sunday. I also have hypocalcima 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.