Female Cystoscopy ~ DON'T worry!!!!!

Posted , 99 users are following.

I had a Cystoscopy yesterday afternoon. I've known for about a month that I would have to have one and I have been worried sick about it. Found some awful posts on the net about it, and then fortunately found many reassuring posts on this forum! Trust me that when the ladies on here say "Don't worry"....DON'T! I've been so anxious, that I've lost sleep and my appetite over it. I was in and out of Theatre in 7 minutes!  I asked my husband to time it as I knew I wanted to do a review on here to help others, as it has been this forum that got me through it yesterday! 

You are in the position for a smear test for the procedure. Knees bent and apart and feet flat and together on the couch. So no stirrups (which I was glad about, as I hate that restriction, and I had expected that!) First they swab the area down, then insert the local anaesthetic. That just feels slightly cold, but not uncomfortable or painful. Then the camera is inserted, and again, that didnt hurt either. The nurse holding my hand told me it was in and then let me watch on the monitor. Whilst the camera is in, the surgeon fills your bladder with water so that he can see it all clearly. Within a couple of minutes, it's all done! I honestly wouldn't even say it was uncomfortable. You are aware something is going on, but certainly no pain. And if the surgeon told me he was going to do another Cystoscopy on me, I wouldnt lose a moments sleep over it!  I was given a cup of tea after the procedure, and sat and rested for a while, and once I had passed urine the nurses discharged me from the ward. I've been passing urine normally and it hasn't even stung, so I guess Ive been lucky. I had no pain until a couple of hours after the procedure, when I guess my anaesthetic had worn off. It was just like Period Pain. I took a couple of Paracetamol and it eased off, and today I am fine. 

So trust my post here! I am the biggest softy ever! And if I can do this you can too. Don't lose sleep over it, it's just not worth it! Ignore the horror stories you might come across on the net. It's easier and much less uncomfortable than a smear test! I am happy to help anyone I can over this procedure. If I've missed anything out and you have a question, just post on here and I will get back to you ASAP. Jackie 

21 likes, 377 replies

377 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

sHi My name is Ashlee I'm 21 and had 40 or more bladder infections in two years I got the scope toz and scared But I have another infection so I don't what to do as always have one but don't think you can scope with infection so confused and scared I only had a day to reinsure myself having toz was told today to have it toz and scared like no toz but every woman's post saying it didn't hurt has made me feel better I have had scope down throut and up my bum this one has made me most nervous 
    • Posted

Hi Ashlee, you'll be fine. Let us know how you get on. Compared to the other scopes youve had done, this one will be very quick. And like Ive said before, its far less uncomfortable than a smear! Jackie 
  • Posted

Hi my name's Hannah and I'm 26. I was due for a cystoscopy today, but it's been cancelled. I'd made sure I was definitely going to attend as I've been petrified since I found out I had to go for one. Now it's been cancelled I'm so scared and exhausted to have to work myself up for another date. I get cystits really frequently and I'm worried that the procedure itself is going to hurt and what happens after. I'm certain I'm going to get a UTI after it's been done and it always leaves me in so much pain and discomfort for days. I'm really really worried about the whole thing and haven't dared look on the internet until now as I'm scared I'll find lots of horror stories. Lots of people here have said it doesn't hurt, but I'm still so worried about the procedure and what may happen after. Lots of people have said their weeing after has been uncomfortable. I'd be interested to know if it was similar to UTI pain or not? 

Thanks for any help or words of encouragement! I don't even know when my next appointment will be booked for sad 

• Posted

Hi Hannah, I understand your concern because I too was really frightened of the whole procedure. When I had the cystoscopy the doctor inserted numbing gel before he did the procedure. All I felt when he did that was a little bit of pressure, no more then if you took a finger and pushed it against your arm. That part was not uncomfortable at all. When he actually inserted the scope I was

not even aware of it. The entire procedure took less than five minutes.

I was told to drink lots of water for the next couple of hours. I had no bleeding, no discomfort and simply continued on my way without any after problem at all. I went home,showered and went out for dinner with my husband. That was almost 2 weeks ago and I have had absolutely no difficulties in any way. I do understand your concern. I spent two months prior to this procedure quite frantic about it. I wasted a lot of time worrying needlessly.

I hope this helps you… Let us know how you do.

• Posted

Hannah, please try not to worry. I wasted a whole month by being so anxious about it all.....and for nothing! Marilyn's description of her procedure mirrors my own experience. I made the mistake of browsing the Internet and some people are just scare mongerers. Look no further than this site! It was a Godsend for me. And I promise you, you will be fine. The numbing gel they use works fine. I didn't even know when he had inserted the scope! And I had no problems passing urine afterwards. Your bladder will probably benefit from being flushed out. X
    • Posted

Good morning, Hannah! ( at least it is morning here in the USA..smile

What Jackie said is true!  Each doc is different...I asked mine bunches of questions before the procedure and trusted him.  They used numbing gel on me also and I didn't feel ANYTHING!  Gave me a bit of Versed ....O was "out" and awoke feeling like I had just closed my eyes for a minute!  PLEASE don't waste your time worrying.....many other things in life that we must put our worries toward besides this!  Let us know how you do after you have it done smile

god's blessings,

Patty

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your responses!

It's really nice to be able to know what to expect a bit more now. And that people were able to go about life as normal afterwards (I had fears of being bed bound or at least house bound for the next couple of days).

I feel much more relaxed, I just wish my doctor had explained more about it sooner instead of having me worry like this (I wasn't told anything about it except where the camera goes, not how long it would take or numbing gel or anything!) I'm not sure when it's next going to be resheduled for, but I will post about it on here as this is such a good find for women worried about these kinds of examinations. 

I really appreciate you all taking time out of your day to reply to me. Thank you so much smile 

• Posted

We all need to support each other smile  keep asking doc the questions so you are more comfortable and know what to expect!!  Believe me...I have been worriedfor nothing over many things in my life....fear is simply the "unknown"... You will do well!!
  • Posted

I had mine last Wednesday and I can honestly say that it was painless and quick.  Some have written that it was better than a visit to the gynecologist.  I would agree.  Im happy to say that nothing is wrong.  Please don't worry.  You are aware something is going on but seriously DO NOT LOSE SLEEP OVER THIS!!!!!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Jackie

I have just been referred to the hospital by my doctor as I have got to have this also and I feel sick thinking about it. The doctor said she had had it done and not to worry easier said than done. I think its the fact that someone has got to look down there its so degrading but I will keep what you have said in mind about it and hope it helps.

• Posted

You sound as if you're feeling exactly like I was Rach! I urge you to try and calm down. I got myself in a right state about it, and what a waste that was! Try not to feel embarrassed about it. Remember the Dr and the nurses are doing this procedure dozens of times a day. I never felt a thing! I didn't even know the camera had been inserted! Don't lose a moments sleep over it. I promise you, you will be fine. Like I've said before, a smear is more uncomfortable than this procedure! Keep me posted. And feel free to inbox me anytime. X
  • Posted

thanks Jackie I will do my best I will let you know how I get on been told it should be with in the next 2 weeks xx
  • Posted

Hi all,

I'm crying as I sit here just thinking about it.  My procedure is a week from Thursday.  I've had terrible pelvic floor issues from November 2014 through May 2015 and finally had that cleared up.  Started having relations with DH and ended up with urethral burning, inflammation and leukocytes in my urine at end of June.  Uro wants to do scope after 4 failed antibiotic courses.  They cathed me to do urine sample and instillation using a child size cath and I cried for hours during and afterward, it hurt so bad.  They even numbed me prior....I'm at wits end -- not sleeping or eating but am so desperate to stop the relentless pain, that I'm going to go through with it.  I am truly hoping that it will be as painless as you all promise and will take plenty of meds beforehand to help me through.  

• Posted

You will be fine!  All of us are here for only one reason:  to reassure and help others such as yourself to not worry needlessly!!  Ask your doc what he or she is going to give you before your procedure.  Anxiety is simply fear of the unknown which you can help prevent by asking your needed questions 😊. They put me in "lala land"....didn't feel ANYTHING during the cystoscopy!  Please let us know how you do!  Any questions for us on here...just ask, ok?

Patty

• Posted

Thanks so much for the reassurances.  I'll try to keep my chin up.cry

• Posted

You are most welcome!  I had my hubby with me to ask more questions before the procedure...he was a wonderful help!  Two heads are better than one, hey say!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.