Potential Long Term Effects Of Gabapentin

Posted , 132 users are following.

I have been on Gabapentin on and off for about 7 months (since approx January). I was taking it for chronic pelvic pain, and it worked well, but it made me very emotional and made higher cognitive functions difficult. After 4 months of semi-regular use, I got off it quickly, but kept it around in case of a severe pain flare up. As of now I have gone through 2 "100 capsule" bottles of 100mg pills, so not too much. Never took a higher dosage then 300mg and never took more than 300mg in one day. 

I've used it a few times recently (in July, just a few weeks ago) when the pain really flared up, thinking it would only have minimal side effects, but it has resulted in continual severe depression and dark thoughts even though I haven't taken any in two weeks. I took it occassionally because I thought the depression was predominantely from the chronic pain, but now I realize the gabapentin was the root of it. I'm terrified because I know the drug has long since left my system but I can't shake the side effects. Doctors and psychologists won't listen to me. They say I'm just depressed and it isn't the medication, but I'm positive it is. The pain is finally improving, I'm going back to school, and things are looking up. But there is this unshakable auora that is plauging me. No matter how hard I distract myself and push through there's this cloud that impares my ability to emotionally and physical function (feelings of detachment, separation, depression, and some suicidal thoughts). Words come slower, it's harder to focus, memory is very dull. I wasn't concered within the first few days, but it's been a few weeks now and I'm alarmed that it doesn't seem to be improving.

Do the side effects ever go away... How long does it take and what can catalyze the healing process? Is it possible to incur permanent damage from a low dosage, or does it take months to heal. Can anyone explain the biomechanics behind how gabapentin can affect patients weeks after usage. 

Hopefully there is an answer and the possibility for recovery, but at the moment things are very frightening. 

13 likes, 287 replies

287 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Wow, that IS interesting and yes I think you are a little young. All of the doctors say Gabapentin has a long history of no side effects but these memory issues seem a little suspicious. I hope to have more info after a neuro aptt.  Some time ago I tried Lyrica but it wasn't strong enough to stop the pins and needles in my leg. I look forward to more people commenting.
    • Posted

that's what my pain dr told me initially, they are cleaner drugs than what was prev. around, but the more years a drug is on the market the more side effects are reported, and even then I would say under reported. i think the memory problems with this class of drug are a lot worse than drs think ...we need to tell them !!! I was a medical rep for 14 years, they should file a yellow card for side effect monitoring, havent seen one filled in yet !! no comment
  • Posted

I Have been taking gabapentin now for 12 years and have significant memory impairment as well as trouble with phrases speaking reading and concentrating. Gabapentin truly makes it hard to put things together in a structured way. This I can attest to. I can not get off of it as I have tried in every time I have come to Great Depression and dark thoughts. I wish anybody that takes it the best of luck and wish them the best to find a alternative replacement.
  • Posted

Dear Adam and Travis et al. I am well familiar with the " dark cloud " hanging over sensation.  The only antidepressant I have ever taken is Cymbalta.  I had a  "wow" experience after a couple of weeks of my start date.  Its expensisve and has many conflicts with other drugs,  so I eventually stopped. I am becoming more and more surprised at how  many people responding to my initial question about "memory issues" with gabapentin have reported the same issues and now depression. Every Doc I have asked about the safety of long term usage have said how "very safe" it is even for long term usage. 2 and 2 arn't adding up here.  I am in the USA and don't know much about UK's drug clearance protocols. My new neurologist told me there are indeed people who are senitive to GAB, even small doses.  I am also weaing myself off Wellbutrin over the last 3 weeks now and am feeling a little better about memory.  My doc has ordered a brain MRI and a sleep apnea study telling me how many patients she's discovered have sleep apnea disturbance... other cause of memory.  I am very appreciative for everyone's feedback and hope we can  all find our way.  Signing off now til I have more info.  rolleyes
    • Posted

when my doctor suggested that I take Cymbalta I did my research. It has  some serious effects with other drugs. I know for me, being bipolar, Cymbalta can make my situation worse as well as thoughts of suicide.

I take 900 mg of gabapentin every day. I’ve been on it now for approximately eight months. For the first six months I had some balance issues but that seems to have gone away over the last couple months.  I have had no memory issues. If anything my memory has improved! I still don’t like the idea of being on any drugs for the rest of my life but since the terrible Pain Clinic here couldn’t figure out where my nerve damage was, I have been on the full dose of  Gabapentin for so long that my nerve pain was gone. Dr told me that was good news. I told the doctor that she said that our goal was not to take drugs.  she just looks stupid, offered to shake my hand, which  I begrudgingly shook.  A month later I went to an independent clinic and the doctor there said that now that I’ve been on  Gabapentin for so long that he would avoid any procedures. Otherwise I would have to reduce the gabapentin until I was back in a ton of pain, so he could find the location of the trapped nerves!

my pharmacist and my doctor do not know of any long-term ill effects of gabapentin but they don’t take it and they don’t do the research that we do. 

I have been so disappointed in the medical system as well as the competency and caring of doctors. I never went to a doctor until I was in my mid 40s and it’s been downhill ever since.

I don’t know if any of this will be any help to anyone but maybe my information will sign some kind of a light. I would love to hear from more people that do not have memory problems from you have a  I don’t know if any of this will be any help to anyone but maybe my information will sign some kind of a light. I would love to hear from more people that do not have memory problems from Gabapentin.

• Posted

I have been Using gab for 17 yrs. I am on 2400 mg a day.  I find using Effexor instead of Cymbalta wirks well. Not as well as the Cymbalta For the fibromyalgia but it does work.  I thought the trouble with words and memory were from my migraines and seizures. Now I am wondering. If it is from the gab. The doc told me when he put me on it that I would be on it for the rest of my life.  Good luck Adam and everyone. The depression and dark thoughts yes they happen. Just look for the best in everything and there is always something to be glad about.  Be glad your not having migraines everyday like me! 😃
    • Posted

I too have taken gabapentin and a ton of other meds for damage to my lumbar discs, etc.  But re: Effexor, I quit taking it when I discovered that it was causing a lot of memory problems.  It depletes the Co-Enzyme Q 10 in your brain, so you need to take it to help ease the damage that was done.

Good luck in your fight to stop the pain.  I consider it to be a terminal illness -- a condition that will never get better.  I've had the "Well, you don't LOOK disabled" BS from my ex and others who think you need to have external signs, like the Elephant Man or other gross physical and outward signs.  Just hang in there.  You have lots of people in the sm condition, and our thoughts snd prayers are with you.

Well, MINE, anyway! 

• Posted

Hi Adam 3355. 

I have  experienced similar yet many more symptoms and effects from taking Gabapentin. I found your post helpful to me. I thought I was the only one going through this. I have been on Gabapentin for aproximately 13 years now. I feel so horrible. I can't even explain what it does and has done to me. I feel it should possibly be looked into, and perhaps be considered on the list of medications that cause Medically Induced Lupus. I have developed many autoimmune dosorders since taking Gabapentin, one including the antibody tests of Lupus. I am down to 300 mg. of Gabapentin a day and want to get off of it entirely. I want to make people aware of this. it is so hard on the body, mind emotions. I understand exactly what you are going through and am very sorry that you have to go through this. Also, I am sorry that I am going through this, and also and many others. I have to do more research into this and also another medication also. It is time that I start taking control of my health along side of medical professionals. Thank you. KarKar

• Posted

Hi, I took Gabapentin at a dose of 1800mg for a few years as prescribed by the Pain Clinic where I live, then I was swapped over to pregabalin 100mg twice a day. as I was omplaining about problems with my short term memory, words and names, almost like the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease if you watch the film Still Alice ( or book by Lisa Genova - very good ). Anyhow, I still find it hard to concentrate on one thing and stay focused, My memory is getting worse, I have a 2i BSc in Pharmacology so I wasn't daft, but this medicine has left me feeling quite depressed. When I first told the drs about this I was dismissed. I am seeing the Pain Clinic drs and my GP soon  - I am SLOWLY decreasing the dose or Lyrica ( pregabalin ) - yes it was like a migic bullet in the early days once I was over the initial side effects, nausea, loss of appetite, feeling flu like. I keep getting hot flushes but at 41 am unsure if it's the menopause or probably more likely, the side effect of stopping this medication. I would never have taken it if I had known about this side effect at the start. I have problems remembering what I am talking about, I forget peoples names, I cannot find the word I need to finish my sentence - I feel foolish !! I was a bright educated woman, who just happened to get peripheral nerve pain from 3 bulging discs and more lower back problems that I still suffer from. I think I had started to tolerate the pregabalin, as it was not very effective anymore and I still suffer horrenhous nerve pain in my hips and legs and buttocks. Bewrae of this medication, it is not the easiest think to stop once you are on it....wish me luck...! I just want to know if the effects on my memory and cognitive function are temporary or permanent ???? 
    • Posted

As far as my situation, it is temporary. I had a really bad herniated disk into my spine and was taking 600mg 3 times a day. I thought my memory lapses weird but thought nothing of it. It got so bad I forgot my wifes name even. I stopped taking gabapentin in march and now am noticing less frequent memory gaps. I get into a funk still if I think about it so keep myself busy. Im not back to normal after 2.5 months off them but I AM getting better.  Hope this helps you.
    • Posted

Greetings Holly1974

This is my first post ever plus I suffer from multiple cognitive and physical neuro. symptoms so appologies in advance for mistakes. After many attempts to diagnose the cause of increasing symptoms and being dismissed when tests came back negative I started to look at the obvious; long term medication I'm on for several chronic pain issues. I've taken gabapentin for 5+ yrs. at a daily dose of 300 mg. but I have multiple drug and chemical sensitivities. I was assured this would have minimal side effects. I now have many of your symptoms as well as tremors and balance issues so bad I was given a walker and in home caretaker. They've thrown everyting from alzhimers to M.S. at me and when tests couldn't confirm any, turned their backs and said I was probably so stressed I caused these symptoms and should try yoga therapy.  I suppose I did cause it by trusting the Doctors and their medications. I am now weaning off and hoping the damage isn't permenant. Iam stressed now but only by the fact that I'm losing so much function and the doctors are not helping and the symptoms came well before the stress. Much luck to us both.

• Posted

Have you been tested for a B12 deficiency? You can have neurological symptoms when it is low. If your B12 isn't in the upper half of the range then yours is low as traditional doctors are using outdated information for the range.
  • Posted

Hi,

I have very recently visited my Pain Clinic Consultant at the hospital. I was initailly prescribed 1800mg a day ( 600mg x 3 daily) of Gabapentin, but about a year into treatment noticed my words didn't come so easily, language centre of brain been affected, short term memory shocking, so eventually I was swapped to pregabalin, but they are both much of a muchness. I can honestly say I have found no difference between them. I have found out that gabapentin costs the NHS peanuts compared with pregabalin, and drs are being encouraged to use gabapentin over pregabalin due to cost !! Suffice to say they are pleased I am weaning myself off after about 8 years of treatment. I have had some pretty horrid days/night with nerve pain in my hips and legs, but then I had this on the drug too, I have also been getting some bad hot flushes, a lot in fact. Reducing the dose has to be done slowly, I am now at half my original dose after 2 months of coming off it. Another 6/8 weeks and I hope to be off it. I was told my the consultant that most people have noticed an improvement in memeory etc when come off it, but wasn't too specific ! I have a background in Pharmacology and was a Med Rep for 12 years, I am pretty worried that there may be some permanent damage, but only time will tell. It took a few appointments for my reporting of these side effects to be taken seriously, so will have to see.....I have never taken these meds on a prn basis ( as required ), I always took same dose on the dot every day as I was told to do. I can say that the initial side effects do settel, the nausea, I didn't want to eat for a few months, I losta  lot of weight ( can go the other way too, has an affect on appetite centre of the brain too ). These drugs work on the GABA receptors in the brain, other than that I haven't done much reseacrh into it. Beware, these drugs can cause seizures in people coming off too quick even if you don't take them for epilepsy. they work in the brain, their initial License is for the treatment of Epilepsy, peripheral nerve pain is something that came later on. 

• Posted

adam3355. I was put on Gabapentin after Pregabalin caused me problems and I feel it was the biggest mistake I have ever made.  I have endured all of your symptoms and then some.  I know you have not been taking these meds as directed and if you are sure that it is them causing you these problems you must take as directed.  I did this, and it was the GABA drugs that caused me further depression and worst of all, one infection after another.  It knocked my immune system for six.  These drugs are anti-epileptics, not analgesics.  I have been off them 3 years now and am still suffering with what I fear is permanent memory problems.  Be aware that Pain Management prescribe these drugs in place of opiates because they are cheaper and as chonic pain sufferers are a huge drain on nhs resources it does not matter to gps and the nhs whether they work or not.  What concerns me most is the damage (short and long term) that these dangerous drugs do.  Your gp alone should be able to judge your level of pain and prescribe accordingly.  Nowadays you are sent to a pain management clinic where they put you on old fashioned trycyclic anti-depressants (for sleep!), Tramadol for MODERATE pain and these pernicious GABA drugs allegedly for nerve pain.  They are in effect a "chemical cosh" and interfere with your thought processes so much that you cannot think straight.  I do not believe enough research has gone into these drugs and they do affect people differently.  Just because your gp may say that it is depression that is causing the problems remember it is in his interest to do so because they are cheaper drugs.  I would urge anybody considering going on these drugs to find out as much as possible about them.  They can do untold damage as I have found to my cost.  A drug is meant to help you not cause you in worse physical and emotional pain.  It has not helped that you have only taken them periodically as this will be used as a weapon against you by the medical profession.  I'm sorry Adam, but it is about money these days and the nhs does not give a damn about your pain.  Pain causes depression, not the other way around as they would have you believe.  I wish you all good luck, keep yourself as fit as you can and practice your cognitive behavioural therapy.  Every little helps.  Please do not ignore unexplained symptoms and whatever you do, do not be fobbed off with the diagnosis of "fibromyalgia".  Having a name for a condition you do not understand is no substitute for correct treatment, especially when it translates as "muscle pain".  We all have a duty of care to ourselves and must do our bit towards our own recovery but you must also trust you instincts - if it feels wrong, it usually is.  All the best adam3355.  I hope things work out for you.  
    • Posted

Are you still in this forum ?  I would like to share my expirence of Gaba. with you.......I'm having problems too and trying to come down from it after 4 years of taking  600 to 1200 mg daily.  Please respond 

• Posted

Thanks for telling it like it is in such a straightforward thoughtful way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.