FLUOXETINE UPDATE .....HOPE

Posted , 118 users are following.

Hi

I thought i would just write and share my experiences to give a little hope to those who have just started fluoxetine and are suffering from the awful side effects... Hang in there! i am 6 months in now and i cannot believe how my life has changed, im laughing every day, i love my job im enjoying my wonderful children and my beautiful granddaughter, im moving house and i just feel my old self again, my friends are so happy for me they said i got lost for a while but they have been so supportive, and say that its great to have me back ! something i didnt think would happen 5 months ago believe me i had no motivation and suffered every side effect felt totally disconnected from the world, i have been where you are now! this site has been my life line and people who came through the other side gave me hope so by sharing this post with you i hope it will give you the encouragement and strength to carry on with the tablets, good luck to everyone and thank you all who have replied to me when i needed advice and reassurance. good luck love sharon xxx

32 likes, 334 replies

334 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello,

I found in wikipedia: "For example, in one 6-week study, the median time to achieving consistent response was 29 days."

It is really a long time before full benefits can be noticed.

danilo

• Posted

Can I just add my thanks to Sharon and others in this thread.  I am now 5 weeks into a second go on fluoxetine and I read this thread so many times over the last few weeks to get me through.  I had some better evenings about week 3 and a half and then for the last week (from just about week 4) I've had pretty much all decent days.  I'm not there yet but today I realised it was now week 5 and I hadn't really thought about that for a few days and so that told me I was feeling a lot better.  I think for me it switches pretty quick but I had major side effects and a really hard time over the last few weeks but then it just starts to subside and you get there.  It's lovely to feel a bit more like myself and just want to say to folks that it is good when you get there but of course when you're there it's really hard to think you ever will, I certainly felt like that for the first 3 - 4 weeks. 

Another good thread is this one:  

It talks about how a lot of people mess about with their dosage about week 3 - 5 and that can set them right back to the start.  I don't think everyone turns as quickly as I have but know that if you're anything less than 5 - 6 weeks in it really is too early to say if it's working or not.  I know that's a nightmare to get through but you can do it.  I was on another med for 7 weeks so it's been more like 11 weeks for me and you do get there but you just have to take it one day at a time.  

All the best 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Found this post very reassuring! I have just started Fluoxetine and am on my 5th day. I'm only in my mid twenties but have had an awful year so far and was struggling to cope. Can't say I've noticed many side effects so far except continuously being thirsty with a dry mouth. Think I'll be more prepared to sit it out if I do experience any more after reading this and wait for the benefits to come..

Would be interested to know if all of your side effects have settled now?

• Posted

Hi, can you help me. I'm 35 weeks pregnant and suffering awful anxiety where I'm in a fog constantly. I been on flu 5weeks 3on 15mg and 2 on 20mg. At the start it was working and my mind was more clear and I started to function but now I'm a state I feel dizzy, tired, scared, flat like the lights are on but no ones home its dreadful, feel brain dead. Should I give it more time? Is there still home? I'm seeing my consultant she wanted to up the dose bit o don't wish to do this because I think these are side effects not the depression or anxiety. Xx
    • Posted

You're in the spot that I think everyone who has been on an SSRI has been in (and I certainly have been in more than once).  That is you feel like you're never going to get better and you're scard and life is terrible.  Unfortunetly this seems to be the way with these drugs and there is very little to do but push through it.  I know that's not what you want to hear, I know I certainly didn't want to hear that but it might help to know that many others have been there before and got through and you can too. 

I would stick with the same dose, it seems that if you change dose this then that almost resets when the side effects reduce.  Google "timetable for recovery on fluoxetine" and have a look at the top result there.  This is a good summary of what someone has found and it's pretty much spot on for what I've found.  

You will get there but it will likely be a few weeks till you are feeling different.  I wish I could say that it will get better tomorrow but it's likely to take longer.  The good news is it will happen and you NEED to hold onto that.  I thought I'd never get there and I'm now in week 8 and feeling much different but still having difficult days.  Take care 

• Posted

Thank you. At a time like this replies of hope are lovely. I'm so scared the meds will do this to me whilst ever on on them. They have improved my concentration that happened quite quickly and I had some days that were nearly normal but then at ²week mark I started been so so tired and zombie like that I felt like a ghost, I get this feeling with out meds too from anxiety depersonalisation but this is a dowsey drugged up way and its really bad after taking the fluoxetine which I take at 7pm. Is it really worth carrying on?? I'm scared it will get worse and I'll turn crazy. It's been 4weeks not 5. Thank you and sorry to go on and on. I just want me back for my family x
    • Posted

Hi Rachel

I've just counted in my diary and I'll have eight weeks of Fluox done on Friday - so I'm a bit ahead of you. My experience was that the 'side effects' you describe will pass and normality will return - fairly soon, I think. You won't turn crazy!! Sounds like youstill have adrenaline pumping around quite frequently so that plus thhe Fluox will give you 'strange' thinking and other panic/anxiety relatedd stuff to contend with.

My head was full of suicidal ideation a few weeks ago and now I'm happy as Larry and enjoying my life again - feel quite normal, relaxed and content.

Keep it up and you wiwll get to the end - life again!

• Posted

The maun issue is been drowsy. My anxiety is up and down as I wait for my Dr to call etc. I take it at 7pm and in the morning I'm a zombie like but come around 4pm I'm totally done and feel like I'm sedated and my eyes won't function. I just keep thinking will it go away or I'm I doing this to myself with meds. I must admit although slight I am having parts of the day were I feel OK if I'm distracted. Thank you for your reply! Did u feel like me ?x
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,  had you seen any improvement by week 16, I know someone who is there and the improvement,  if any, has been minimal. Just wondering if it's worth sticking with x
    • Posted

I'm on week 6 and I'm OK in patches on and off slowly. 20mg mainly anxiety x
  • Posted

Hi,

I am am five months in 10 weeks on 20 mg and the rest on 40 mg

it takes a long time and it's only in the last few weeks I have felt better more positive with more energy. I felt that it took forever andI I felt like giving up but due mainly to support on here I stuck with it and it's worth it to get up in the morning without that knot of anxiety and fear of the day ahead. I know it's hard when you feel anxious

but it is worth it in the end.

• Posted

I feel shocking today not really anxiety but really tired headaches feeling like iv a fever sickness. Seems my mood gets better then the side effects get worse x
    • Posted

Hi Rachel,

im sorry your feeling this way. I have been there but it does get better the side effects are awful I know but stick in it will get better for you.

the tiredness will get better and the headaches they did for me

take care and message me any time

linda xx

• Posted

Hi linda

Thanks for your update it really helps to know others get better but can be a long time.  Im getting to wk 8 tho it does feel like an eternity but a lot has settled for me over last 2wks. Had serious blues  (without too many physical side effects) for the last wk but that seems to have lifted a bit today so hopefully im getting there.

Thanks for your feedback, have a great christmas

Vix

• Posted

Iv a chesty cough and blocked too so maybe I'm just poorly. Thought it was flu yesterday but today I'm blaming the meds. I feel worn out moving from sofa to kitchen. Thank you Linda x

PS I do fear these meds but I'm sure after 6 weeks if I was going to react badly it would of happened now, hopefully better from this point. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.