Please Help, so scared - Bartholin Cyst

Posted , 61 users are following.

Hi 

Please could someone help me! I have scared myself stupid constantly internet searching and I'm more stressed about this :-( 

I'm 29 and I felt a grape sized lump just under a week ago and went to the Dr. She said it is a Bartholin cyst and I should just try and forget about it!! Trouble is a can't... The uncertainty of what it could turn into is making me a nervous wreck. 

I think it is getting larger too... No pain just irritating knowing a lump is there. 

I have been trying baths, compresses, silica, serrapeptase and avoiding dairy for the past few days. Haven't seen any change yet. Just wondered how long should I persevere? 

I'm also confused about the bursting thing I have read about... Where does it burst from? Hopefully should it drain from the blocked duct? 

I'm so worried and confused it is affecting my job and my home life. 

Any advice, I would be so grateful for. 

Thank you 

1 like, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jessie

I'm new to this site..I've been diagnosed with a Bartholin cyst as well...it is not fun! Mine is giving me pain...I'm so frustrated. I'm doing the sitz baths and taking Motrin and I don't see any change!

• Posted

Hii

The gyn said the only permanent solution is the bartholin gland excision. The take out the gland so it will never swell up again. Good luck.

• Posted

Hiya,

Well since my son was born ( emergency c section with shed load of complications) I've had a marble size bump on my right side I actually thought it was just a lymph node of some kind, but when I researched I figured it was a smaĺl bartholin cyst . It has never bothered me not red or painful, feels like a small gland sometimes i think its nore swollen than other times.I'm not sure I'm bothered to do anyhing about it's been there for over 3 years with no change. I have no other vaginal symptoms. I did have a smear and vaginal swab recently and all was clear... The gynea didn't even notice the cyst on examination and it totally slipped my mind to mention it as i forget it's there. I guess if it's not painful or uncomfortable, just keep an eye on it occasionally and maybe try home remedies for a while to see if it helps. I think it's more of an issue if you get an abscess or infection of the cysts.

Xx

• Posted

Hello,

I've just been looking on the Internet and found this forum. I have a bartholins cyst, I've had it for years now can't remember how many exactly I'm 24 and it's about the size of a big grape. I have never had any problems with mine until yesterday it felt a bit sore when sat down so I got a bath hoping the hot water would relive the pain, I woke up this morning and the soreness is worse, I feel like the cyst has got bigger but not sure if it's just my mind thinking it has. I've never got rid of mine because the thought of being put to sleep scares the life out of me, but now I'm worrying about it. I'm going to have to go to the doctors tomorrow hopefully if they have an appointment. My job involves sitting all day so not looking forward to it sad

• Posted

Hi Laura

Don't be scared...I'm going on Tuesday for the procedure marpulazation

It's a light sleep like your would get for a colonoscopy

I was nervous but now I'm good I feel constant pressure I need this thing out of my life lol

I'll update after procedure 😀

Renee1973

• Posted

Hi girls,

I've been reading a lot of your comments and i also have this cyst. I only discoverd it 3 days ago, and went to the doctor yesterday as its causing me so much pain and discomfort, from sitting, walking, lying down. I haven't been able to sleep since I got it because of the pain. Its now swollen up the one side of my vagina completely to the point that there's no opening. The doctor said it wasn't ready to be drained yet and gave me antibiotics to take. However nothing is helping, including the sitz baths that I've been having 3 times a day. I myself think its completely ready to be drained, as its only getting bigger and bigger as the days go on. Any other treatments you have tried? Mine is also giving me a burning like sensation? Is that normal?

Thanks in advance for any help

• Posted

I had mine done but they had to keep me awake because they found out I was pregnant which was a shock to me to. I went back to the doctors because there is still a lump it's still a cyst they just got rid of the infection I got told they were doing marsupialization and the doctor said they haven't done it, they have only made an incision and drained the infection.
  • Posted

Hey this is probably really late but for anyone going though this currently , I'm going through this as of now. It started a few days ago I noticed the lump kind of uncomfortable feeling. The next day I noticed pain bUT I can still manage it. The 3rd day I could not deal with the pain anymore I went to the doctor and they told me what I already knew because I searched it up before hand. He told me to go to the hospital and get it cut open and it will come out. I went to the hospital with ALOT of pain. As I was waiting in the waiting room I was so scared for them to cut it open. THANKFULLY after sitting so long in uncomfortable positions I got up and noticed that there was no more pain as soon as I realized the pain was gone I felt something run down my leg went to the washroom quickly and realied it popped on its own THANK GOD. What I suggest go to the doctor immediately as u notice the lump hopefully they can cut it open there if not go straight to the hospital and get it removed they will tell you to sit in a bath with warm water and salt and let it come out. And please make sure you bring an extra pair or pants and underwear don't forget those 2 things . I hope this helped GOODLUCK.

• Posted

Hi everyone! Ok ill tell you my story in case of help.

Last night my boyfriend and I had sex for the first time in only about two weeks. We had sex twice within 30 minutes and immidiately after the second time he noticed and I could feel the awkwardness of the cyst. I thought it would go away and it was just rough sex. But all night and to the next morning it was still there. About the size of a grape like everyone has mentioned. Im the type of person to freak out and panic at the slightest thing that isnt normal on my body. I found this page and read how similar everyones experiences were. I called my mom to figure out what to do because im stuck in my boyfriends dorm while hes at baseball literally all day long. I couldnt take any baths beause its college and no ones dorms have baths... ANYWAYS my mom told me not to go to doctor, these things are normal and just to get a wash cloth, warm it up or soak it under some warm/hot warm and apply straight to the cyst. I did this for about a good 35 minutes and the swelling has gone down tremendously. 

Hope this can help anyone not to freak out like i did and to do the same procedure. Youll be ok! smile 

• Posted

Me too. Mine is getting bigger...about the size of large marble. I'm 52 so worry about cancer. Have an appointment in two weeks....going to insist it gets taken out....

• Posted

I hear ya. I went to the dr in June, he did nothing.....now it's much bigger. I'm 52 so I think it's cancer.  I'm going to insist he cuts it out. My appointment is today...wish me luck😭

• Posted

Hi Jessie. This situation sounds like mine. I went to the doctors for a smear and the nurse refered me to a doctor who then refered me to hospital. They feel surgery is the best option for me as the cyst is so near to my bladder and would cause me future problems if not treated. I have anxiety but i coped quite well during the examination. There was a woman present in the room while the doctor did the examination( which though uncomfortable was not too painful)
    • Posted

I am going for an MRI scan in a month and surgery after under gen anasthetic

I am nervous about the surgery and after but i wont let it get me down :D hopefully surgery will correct the problem and i will be back to normal :D

• Posted

I have met my surgeon and i feel OK :D with him doing the procedure

Good luck with yours ;-)

• Posted

Hi

Im 17 and i feel like i have something similar, its very tender and swollen. It has kind of popped there was a bit of blood but it hasnt gone away, its effecting my work now. I would go to the doctors but im worried i have a phobia of being cut while awake and so far ive not seen anyone being put under anaesthetic. What can i do any help would be great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.