The Urolift procedure; patient views and questions

Posted , 264 users are following.

Would it be possible to keep this thread purely about Urolift and a means of sharing experiences from those who have undergone the process and invite debate from those considering it.

The Urolift process plus pros and cons are accurately described at many a website. Other very long threads discuss in detail BPH and other treatments such as TURPS, laser tend to overshadow people looking for advice on Urolift.

So for me, tired of getting up in the night. Tired of the medication and its side effects, tiredness and ED. Quality of life getting me down. I am 60 and reckon to be pretty fit and active.

I underwent this treatment (as an alternative to TURPS) 2 weeks ago at one of the 5 or 6 clinics/hospitals that appear to offer this treatment in the UK. It really was as simple as described on the web.

I had a 30 minute consultation with the consultant whereby he explained the procedure.

The treatment was booked for 10 am., it took about 15 minutes. I had it done under a local anaesthetic. To be frank if you are used to having your prostate and other bits probed there is no pain. It is just the thought of it you have to come to terms with. After the treatment you have to drink a lot of water to flush your system but I was allowed to drive home by dinner time.

First warning here. I did have to stop probably every 15 minutes with a sudden need to urinate. Fortunately I took a urine bottle from the clinic !

I could write for ages but will see what response I get to this post. I know on the day I was there, 4 other blokes were having the procedure and I sensed there was a regular flow of patients.

I’m now going through the period whereby I’m asking myself is there any improvement? It’s only 2 weeks in. I’m not sure is the answer at the moment. We are all different and recovery and improvement I am told does take time anything from 2/3 weeks to 2/3 months maybe longer. Your system needs time to readjust, I understand that, I don’t know how much time but I’m due for a follow up next week. I'm remaining positive.Would welcome comments from others.

18 likes, 1911 replies

1911 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Today is Thursday and my Urolift was done Monday. They put in 5 clips and left my middle lobe alone. They said it was small enough they didn't need to shave it which they were not sure until after they installed the Urolift. They left me over nigth in hospital with a Cath. Next day they took it out and had me void. Stronger stream, but a lot of stining.

Today Thursday the stinging is gone. The blood in the urine was gone Wednesday.

I still have some pain today. I took two tylenol extra strength this morning and tow this afternoon. I suspect I will need tow more tonigh.

I have been told not to excercise or lift anything ofr  3 weeks.

So far I am happy I did the procedure. I still suspect like a lot of what I read in this blog that my system will have to adapt to suddenly function without obstruction after functioning that way for many years. I will  also be a better judge of this process after the pain has gone.

I  the over nigth with the cath was a mistake or mis undersatnding. Since I had gone to see a doctor out of town  he kept me in the hospital over nigth as a favor but with the cath. I didn't inist in leaving since I didn't know (was afraid) of how I would do that nigth alone in the hotel and figured I would be better off staying in the hospital.

I will keep you all posted goingfoward.

• Posted

Hi Executive1,  I know it's been over 7 months since you had your Urolift procedure.  Just want to find out how you are doing and if you still have any BPH symptoms this long after the procedure.  I have the same anatomy as you with a small middle lobe.  I am considering the Urolift and am going in for an evaluation in about a week to deteremine if the middle lobe needs to be resected.  I also understand that it take a while after the procedure to retrain your bladder to not feel like it has to empty all the time.   Thanks,  Terry
    • Posted

Hey Guy  This is Ken Had mine done in April.  It took about a week and I was peeing like I did 20 years ago.  No meds or getting up at night.  Had 4 implants put in.  Take care 
  • Posted

Hey Charles,

Just read your article. I am scheduled for a Urolift procedure and I had never heard about the procedure you had. I live in Texas , Houston ..

Can you give me the name of your doctor? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Phil

• Posted

Just wanted to check in. It has now been about 11 weeks post Urolift and I have decided to try and wean myself off flomax. I am so tired of having a runny nose and lightheadedness. 

The principal effect of going off the flomax is that there is definitely a weaker stream and I am going back to double urinating. I also experienced slight headache the first day I can't remember how long I have been on flomax, probably about ten years, so my body does have to adapt. Unfortunately, I have been very busy at work so I have been grabbing extra coffee, which does not help, since it both clamps down on the sphincter and increases the need to go. But I overall feel fine. slept throught the night and I think that I will be able to stay off the flomax. My next appointment with the uro isn't until July so I will see what happens when they do a sonogram of my bladder. 

• Posted

Hello Charles.  I'm 59 and I had it done on monday the 27th of april.  I was also tired of the pill and the side effect.  My doctor was great.  I went in at 7:15am and was home by 11:30am. For my own good I had a catheter put in. I have a problem with peeing on demand. So he felt it was best for me and I agreed.  Never had a catheter in before.  It was put in after he did the urolift. I also have a stricture so I'm glad they put it in when i was out.  I felt fine when I woke up  did not feel the inplants. but when I peed it hurt.  Also had bleeding out of the penis by the  catheter.  It does hurt but have to rest.  Went on wed to have the catheter removed had to do a voiding test.  I had the nurse do it all at one time  He put in 200 cc of liquid and told me to hold it has long has I could. He put in another 50cc and I told him to take the catheter out.  well he did not take it out fast enough  I could not wait I shot it out and peed on the floor and the nurse also the bottle.  He told me I past.  I was prepared I had a maik pad that I put in my underware just incase I leaked.  I was glad.  I was going out and when I goto to the place I had to pee so bad that I could not wait and peed in the pants.  The pant got it all.  When I went inside I took another pad and changed.  Been told the pain That I am getting is from the catheter.  The blood should only last a week and the pain from peeing can lasy for a month.  I think it a good thing.  can't wait to get back to normal and have some fun.  no more pills or side effect  I go in a week for my follow up Ken   
    • Posted

Kenneth;  Can I ask where you live???   Sounds like you did the right thing.  My uro talked me out of the Urolift as he says it concerns him over the years what the pee will do to the clamps that surround your prostate.  He thinks they may get encrusted and cause infections.  He wants me to do a "Turis"- whatever that is.  I know its not good.
    • Posted

Sounds a plausible theory. No one seems to have been told what happens as your prostate continues to grow encased in clamps.
  • Posted

Good Morning Charles.  I look it up quick to see what it is.  Turis Vaporization is cutting away some of the prostate.  I watch a vidio of it being done.  It shows them cutting the prostate away from the urathra I would not let them do that to me.  I live in orlando Fl.  My doctor is great.  I'm 59 and don't have sex has much has I did when I was younger but still would like to have fun sometimes anyway I can.  With the urolift there is no cutting of the prostate  I had 4 implants put in on monday  3 day it was uncomtable but this morning I feel much better.  My moring pee was great  It should get better.  Still have a little stinging from the catheter but it fine.  Most of the time they do not use a catheter with the urolift but my doctor felt it was best.  I have always had a problem peeing on demand and we were worried that I would not pee. And this way he was a sured that I would be able to clear the blood up from the surgery.  If you like to chat more feel free to e-mail me.  Please look it up on the computer and watch the video.  I always look everything up what it going to be done to me.  Take care  Ken 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

This is to anyone who gets a catheter. The inside of your urethra (the tube inside your penis ) has no natural lubrication. The catheter moves around slightly as you move around. The catheter therefore rubs on the inside of your urethra. That rubbing causes the pain and blood at the end of your penis. This is easy to prevent and /or solve. As soon as you can after you get the catheter, take a Q-tip and apply a layer of petroleum jelly (Vasoline ) to the catheter on the area where it enters your penis. Then, as the catheter moves around, it will be lubricated by the jelly an be much more comfortable. You may have to apply more jelly several times a day if it rubs off. Also, once or twice a day you should clean the catheter near your penis, and the end of your penis with a solution of 1/2 clean water and 1/2 peroxide, using a Q-tip.
    • Posted

Thank you for the tip  I did have the catheter in for 2 days.  Most of the time with the Urolift it is not done but I had a problem peeing on demand and my doctor said it would be best and I agreed.  Had that problem cleaned it every time I went pee.  Sting for the next two day but better now was taking out.  First time I had one and I had it's the last. Take care  Ken
    • Posted

I agree. They are very unpleasant under the best of circumstances. The only thing worse than having one is needing one and not having it.

Neal

• Posted

Neal I do agreed.   By doctor and I agreed on it.  And I knew he could do it.  It was put in after the Uro-lift was done.     I had a very bad experience last year in the hospital. I know sometimes you have to have one. But you  should be informed about it.  This was my first time having a catheter.  I had sepsis last year and was in the hospital emergency room when the doctor came in and ask for a urine sample.  I just pee before I went there I told him that and aksi told him that I do not pee on demand.  My doctors all know that.  Withing 10 minutes I had a male RM and a female RN come into my rook Tell my sone to leave.  And by son heard me ask what was going on. They did not say a word to me.  The male nurse told the female nurse to take my pants off.  Before I could get the hole question out and my pants were not off yet He forced a catherter in me.  I gave up after that. And heforce another one in me.  He was yelling at me asking if I have a prostate problem  They try 3 times and never got it into my bladder.  I pee on my own a hour later.  That was not right.  There is a procedure the nurses are to follow.  I saw a urologist.  He found out I have a urethral stricture and it will make catheterization very hard to do.  My doctor say that the nurse could have done more damaged.  That is way no one will do anything until they get my permission.  And If I can't give it My kids will  Take care  Ken       
    • Posted

Yes  I live in Orlando Florida.  When I came out of the hospital  I could not sleep.   Took me a while.  The only good thing that cam out of that I met my Urologist.  He is great and his staff is the best.  I take my sample when I go to see him.  The day I had a scope done to see what the problem was I didn't.  The nurse Joele told me he had to cath me I was pist but he informed me that it had to be done to is if I had a infection.  I said ok.  He was very good.  He informed me of the procedure was very gentle and did tell me he was sorry and was going to try not to hurt me.  Even ask for my permission.  He try 2 time never got it in .  Don't let anyone say it don't hurt.  I will let any of my doctors do what they what but ask me first.  I don't know what was up with the male nurse in the hospital that day but it will never happen to me again.  Thank you for your concern  Ken  
    • Posted

Back in 2013 I had to self cath once or twice a month for a year. They make self lubricating caths called hydrophillic caths. They come packed in a sterile water foil packet, and when they are removed from the packet, interaction with the air for a minute or so causes the surface to become very slick.

When I first started cathing I used the unlubricated caths with lube and often found my hand would get lubricated, making it difficult to hold onto the cath. I found the self lubricating caths to be much easier to insert.

The kind I used were  28416 Coloplast® Speedicath® Male Straight Intermittent Catheter 16Fr, 14" L, Pre-Lubricated, Hydrophilic Coated, Sterile. Mine were 16FR width but they also come in smaller sizes like 12FR and 14FR. I found the 14Fr was the smallest size that was rigid enough to be inserted without folding over when it encountered the prostate. These cost me about $1.60 each when purchased over the internet. 

• Posted

I had this issue too, in my case after my holep.  When I was encouraged to rise from bed onto a chair next to it the day after, although I moved gingerly, it hurt at the urethral tip (meatus) both getting to the chair, and then even when leaning forward slightly to eat.  I noticed that the 3 way 22 gauge Foley catheter left in for irrigation (that's a BIG one), was holding open the part of the meatus adjacent to where the catheter went in, allowing it to dry up, and the catheter was sliding in and out all the time as I moved, with the joint to a larger diameter pipe hitting into the meatus as it was taped too far in (where taped on leg).  I remembered that the uro had used painkilling (it has 2% lidocaine in it) lubricant jelly dispensed from a blunt syringe, when he did cystoscopy on me, so I asked nurse to raid his office and get me one ("Glydo" is one of the brands).  When I put a little on the end it solved the irritation completely.  I had to repeat it two hours later.  I tried to keep hold of the syringe, without success; reason I wanted to keep it was I figured it would come in handy when I did my first post-catheter-removal pee, if I popped a little in the end - the first post-cystoscopic pee didn't hurt at all, it was the one after, that hurt, after the first post-cystoscopic pee washed out the lidocaine.  In truth, the first post-catheter-removal pee (after a panicky 2 hours with nothing coming at all), was no more painful than the second post-cystoscopic pee, because I think some lidocaine remained in there - and because for holep, they gave me oral morphine which is a strong painkiller (but no laxative with it, which 3 days later, is looking like a big mistake...). 

If you're given oral morphine, by the time constipation becomes apparent it is very hard to shift as your whole gut has slowed right down; and you can't have an enema or suppository after holep or TURP (not sure if this is so for urolift - urolift's far easier and does less prostate damage, so I guess you could actually ?).  3 days on, am taking every conceivable laxative, including the one the hospital gave me belatedly when I said I seemed to have a problem.  Straining's to "poo" is the last thing you need after prostate surgery, but would be less of an issue after Urolift.....

• Posted

I feel sorry for all the men that picked the turp and holep procedures. To many side effects and other problems.  When I had my urolift only had a catheter for 3 days when it came out it did burn to pee that first day but after that I was find.  I was given a stool softner because after you have any prostate surgery they do not want you to force yourself to go to the bathroom.  It will take time for you to get back to normal   Ken   
    • Posted

Paul,

I had an unrelated fecal impaction once. The ER doctor wanted to do a dye assisted CT scan. I had to drink a quart of the dye in 30 minutes. About 30 minutes later, all that liquid blew me loose. I'm not sure if it would help since you have the morphine on board, but it's bound to soften you up, and shouldn't be any problem. Let us know how this "comes out". Always take stool softeners starting 3 days before anesthesia. I too learned that the "hard " way.

Neal

• Posted

Well, at day four post HOLEP (it'd be the same for urolift if done under general and if any oral morphine given - but, maybe less need for oral morphine post urolift ?), I was about to use the home enema kit I'd just got via Amazon prime, or the glycerine suppository, or the mini enema (I got all three to be sure !), but prudently googled and found you're not supposed to after TURP/Holep etc, as the enema probe prods into the prostate via the rectum, and any resulting (low risk, but possible) bowel cramps from enema or suppository would be bad for the prostate operation site. Post urolift, being a more trivial procedure, I imagine that restriction might not exist at all ? - google doesn't say.  Luckily the large amounts of laxative I'd taken - syrup of figs (1 teaspoon a day), henna (1 a day) and something my wife had that you mix with water, plus three cans of prunes and a veg-only diet, worked last night. What came out was the most disgusting smelling stuff ever, and I stopped feeling woozy/sick within 4 hours; I theorise that blocked-up poo going off, may give off toxic things that might be absorbed.  Definitely, a good tip is take something beforehand, or have a little syrup of figs in your bag in case the hospital doesn't give you a laxative.  Stool softener might be better as syrup of figs and henna speed up peristalsis; on the other hand, morphine is said, I now know, to suppress peristalsis (as may, temporarily/less so, general anaesthetic ?), so maybe something to stimulate peristalsis, might make sense. I am not a doctor, so rely on none of this speculation !  To ensure that my gut doesn't become reliant on laxatives, I am eating a lot of veg, and no laxatives, for a few days, to regularise it - bowel can, I read, become "lazy" after laxatives, and easily re-constipate, then you start to get a recurrent problem. 

Enema would have been easy to do, if not contra-indicated by the surgery, without the wife's help, as it was done to me before my prostate needle biopsy, and I have no fear of it. 

• Posted

Please understand that all prostates are not the same and as such not all can be "fixed" by Urolift. You are feeding the anxt of those in the process of dealing with the avenues that are open to them. Give us a break!
    • Posted

James this is my opinion like you have yours.  I feel that many of the old procedures are barbaric and should be stopped where you don't need it   I do understand that if you have the median lobe of the prostate in the bladder there may not be any other way to fix it. They if the patient can handle it go for it.   I think that should be a last resort.  There are to many urologist that are not informed of the new procedure so they only offer what they know.  Why have it done if you don't have to. I hate when you read on here that the doctor tell the men that all will be the same  That is a lie things will change and some men are not ready for them  Have a nice day  Ken
    • Posted

James this is my opinion like you have yours.  I feel that many of the old procedures are barbaric and should be stopped where you don't need it   I do understand that if you have the median lobe of the prostate in the bladder there may not be any other way to fix it. They if the patient can handle it go for it.   I think that should be a last resort.  There are to many urologist that are not informed of the new procedure so they only offer what they know.  Why have it done if you don't have to. I hate when you read on here that the doctor tell the men that all will be the same  That is a lie things will change and some men are not ready for them  Have a nice day  Ken
    • Posted

James this is my opinion,  All postate and men are not the same and all procedures are not the same.  Myself I picked the urolift and it worked fine for me .  My problem are with the urologist that only offer the old procedures I think they are barbaric and should only be use in a last resort.  Some of the urologist only offer you the old procedure because they do not know or are not  trained on the new one.  If a patient ask them about a new procedure like urolift pae or Rezuim or other new one they are against them.  They come up with I only do the gold standered But as you know sometime you have to have it done again The heal time is long and there are to many side effects .   You need to look at all the information you can and they pick the one you think would be best for you.  That is all I'm saying.  Ken.   
    • Posted

I don't think one can post a URL here, but if you google the story "My sex life was saved by a simple new prostate operation - Mirror Online", from a British newspaper, it is about urolift; the Daily Mirror is not known as a particularly in-depth or up-market tabloid newspaper, but anyway - press articles about urolift are quite rare, so I thought it might interest.  It is pro-urolift, giving one man's reasons for his decision, and his very early experience after the op. 
    • Posted

Thank you Paul  I will look into it.  I picked the urolift because it was best for me.  I was not giving up anything I do not like the feeling of retro and the o hum orgasm that it gave me.  Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

Sorry about the 3 replys  I did not think it went through  It said error  Have a good day  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Bob, I have a foley catheter in ,they take it out every month, see if i can void . Istill have urine rentention. Oct  5 catheter change again. I would like to order these 28416 Coloplast Speedicath Male Straight intermittent Catheter size 12Fr and 14FR and 16 FR,i don't know which is the right size?

Would the wrong size cause more pain? I 'm taking medicine Avodart and Flomax. I hear it takes 6 months before the Avodart can shrink the enlarged prostate?Have you tryed these medicnes?At 87 i would like to try sel cath,however the urologist says he would rather do a cystoscopy and a prostate ultra sound  before he recommends sel cath?

Whats your opinion on this?

thanks

• Posted

Hi Bob, Thanks for this info. I have urine rentention ,been on a foly catheter 5 months, My uro wants to do a cysto,and prostate ultra sound before he wants me to do  sel cath. I would like to try?

If the wrong size is used? would this cause more pain? 

I'm taking medicine Avordate and flomax .i hear it takes 6 months for Avordart to shrink the prostate.Do you take this medication?I wwould have to learn how to self cath ,is this difficult??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.