Has anyone out there had a "Prostate Artery Embolization??

Posted , 210 users are following.

I had one on September 10th, 2014 and would love to compare notes with anyone else that has had one.   Thank You.  ChuckP   PS Some people just call it a "PAE" for short.

8 likes, 2499 replies

2499 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dr. Bagla left Inova and is at the Vascular Institute of Virginia and also operates at local hospitals. He was not 'trained' by Dr. Sterling in PAE. When he started back in 2011 with PAE, there were only a few cases in the world done and he learned with the other original docs who started PAE.
    • Posted

ok dont know where i heard that but do you know if dr sterling is qualified and or heard of him. he is the chair of that department i was told.
    • Posted

I just called Bagla and will change from Stering to Bagla.

I could not find anything on Stering regarding his abilities and PAE.

​Thanks Lou

• Posted

Ok dont know where i heard that but have you or thers heard of Dr. Sterlling?
  • Posted

PAE done in December 2015 at Mountain Medical Imaging Center in Salt Lake City UT.  Now at end of January and urine flow is good as new and sexual function beginning to improve.  I've cut meds from every day to every other day, will try to drop meds entirely in couple of months.  The team at Mountain Medical are great, and if your physical situation qualifies for PAE it's the only way to go (IMHO).  Also, they don't charge as much as many other providers.
    • Posted

Great Post.  But, I'm confused RE your still needing "meds"? 
    • Posted

As far as I know this is not a trial, it's a regular proceedure for an Interventional Radiologist.
    • Posted

PAE blocks blood flow to parts of the prostate.  The prostate doesn't shrink away from the urinary tract immediately.  During the following months it decreases in size, so meds are still recommended for 3 to 6 months.  My improvement was so noticable during the first month that I wanted to 'jump the gun' and decrease meds right away.  So far (at two months) the result is great.
    • Posted

It's been 7 months since my PAE and I had a normal PSA result this week.  Was told no need to do PSA tests after age 70 (coming right up) because if you develop prostate cancer at that age, something else will kill you before you notice the cancer symptoms. (comforting thought!)  My urine flow is not as good as it was right after the PAE but it's acceptable.  I'm still taking the meds every other day.  Tried to drop meds completely but noticed a decrease in flow.  I may not be a good poster boy for PAE because I also have Allergic Rhinitis and have to take loratadine, guaifenesin, psuedoephedrine and budesonide to keep the sinus clear. Those are all hard on the prostate and probably contributed to my BPH over the years.  But life continues to be good and I enjoy every day while it lasts.

• Posted

My urologist also jumped on the no PSA for old guys bandwagon. But I let my GP write the script for the test every 6 mnths or so. My PSA slowly grept up to 8.7 over the years, About a half point a year. I decided a PSA score of less than 10 is no cause for alarm as long as it doesn't jump up all at once. Also the pathology report on prostate tissue removed by a TURP 15 months ago, showed no cancer. I have never agreed to a biopsy after a PSA test. I see no reason not to get a PSA test, if just for my own peace of mind.

• Posted

And even if the PSA value was a cause for concern at some point, the next step doesn't absolutely have to be a biopsy. You could have a 3T MRI of the prostate area that could give more info about whether a biopsy would be prudent.

• Posted

Hey guys thanks agsin for all of the great replies and input. I had mine done Jan26 2016 by Dr Isaacson at UNC. Other than some major skin complications from the dye, or the antibiotic, everything went perfect. The staff and Dr Issacson are outstanding. I drove back to Nashville the day after.

My flow is improved greatly most of the time, but it does seem to come and go, is this normal? And I feel like my bladder empties more completely.

And my major concern is the continuation of blood in my semen. Tomorrow will be two weeks, and it still seems like there is quite a lot there. Did anybody else notice it lasting this long? Everything feels fine when I ejaculate, just maybe a little stopped up if thst makes sense.

any feed back would be appreciated.

thanks

• Posted

I would suggest you ask Dr. Isaacson. He is very good about returning calls and answering questions like that. Please let us know what he says.

Neal

• Posted

Thanks Neal, will do I just hated to bother him if thst was normal. 
    • Posted

I had my PAE's in the fall of 2014 and 2015.  The first procedure resulted in a small amout of blood in the semen for about two weeks and then cleared up. It actually looked discolored more than red blood.   After the second procedure I had no bleeding at all.
    • Posted

Bruce,

WHy did you need two procedures? What were your results after each?

Thanks,

Bob

• Posted

Thanks Bruce, I am 3 weeks out now and it is almost cleared up. But I developed a UTI so that probably prolonged it some. 

How come you had to have asecond procedure if you dont mind me asking?

• Posted

Hi Bruce,

How did your second PAE go? I had one 9 months ago but I believe the large median loge made it not that effective.

Best.

• Posted

Got significant improvement from the first, but a cystoscopy showed the prosatae was still blocking urine flow.  I elected to have a second and so far got a bit more improvement, but I am still taking .8mg of flowmax and I was hoping to get off the meds altogether.  I'll give it another couple of months and get scoped again to see if the prostate is still in the way.
    • Posted

Could be.  A cystosopy might reveal if the median lobe is actually in the way.  They run the scope all the way up the ureathra and into the bladder so you can visualize where the obstruction may be.  If the path is clear, then it may be the bladder neck that isn't releasing enough.  I suspect that may be my issue.  The first thing to do was get the prostate out of the way.  It's a bag, two valves and a hose.  If the prostate is no longer squeezing the hose and the bag(bladder) has enough pressure, then it most likely is one of the valves (Bladder neck before the prostate and the sphincter right after the prostate). 
    • Posted

Thanks Bruce do you know if the done both sides the first time, or just one? Just curious what they did the sexond time, that they didnt the first. Where did you have yours performed?

i got a lot of immediate relief for the first week or so, and then it has seemed to go back to the way it was. Im hoping in time it will improve.

• Posted

Dr. Isaacson at UNC, who did mine told me that would happen, and it did to me too.That immediate improvement is caused by the prednisone that you get at surgery. It goes away within a few days of surgery, and so does that improvement. The real improvement, from the shrinking of the prostate can take something around 3 months. Don't panic yet.

Neal

• Posted

Hi Neal, I didn't experience that. Lucky I gues. I had improvement from day 1 and it just got better from then on. 8 months later still improving. 
    • Posted

Hi Bruce,

Were you having to catheterize on a regular basis before your PAE or had you not descended to that point yet/

Thanks

• Posted

That's great. I wish it had been the same for me.

Neal

• Posted

They did both sides both times.  I had it don by Dr. Douglas Hadley at Kaiser in Oakland, CA.  Interesting observation was that post procedure in the hospital I had pretty good flow but it waned a day later.   It made me wonder if it were as a result of the opiate pain medication. 
    • Posted

The same thing happended to me the first night - but then went back to usual bad.  Must have been the drugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.