Strange head pains and tingling... Anxiety?

Posted , 106 users are following.

Hi everyone, I need a bit of advice. I've been suffering the last few months with health anxiety. Doctors have done all the routine blood tests and have said I'm okay and all my symptoms are anxiety related. I'm waiting for CBT but on a long waiting list and am on no medication whatsoever as I'm trying to avoid it.  I'm now able to identify with a lot of my symptoms and deal with them, some days are good and some are pretty awful but I'm getting through it.

Last night however I had something new and it sent me into a panic again.  A few weeks ago I was getting some sharp pains in my head, on the crown area and slightly to the left. Sort of dull aches and then the odd shooting pain.  Anyway, putting it down to just another symptom of anxiety I've tried to ignore it. But as I laid in bed last night I started to get this tingly sensation, not painful but really noticeable and in the exact same position I sometimes get these head pains and it then spread across my head and my face. Then my head started to ache in that same spot. This morning I've woken up and it's still there. My brain likes to tell me that it's a brain tumour as it feels in such a specific part of my head but I'm really hoping it's just another normal symptom. Has anyone else had this? It just feels very unnerving! 

The annoying thing I can't seem to process is that I'm 34 years old, have never suffered from anxiety and then one day I changed for no apparent/obvious reason and I can't seem to get back to my normal self.  It just fuels the worry that there is something really wrong with me. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Lisa

10 likes, 145 replies

145 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lisa I'm also suffered same problem

What type of treatment u r taking

• Posted

Hi all, so I've also got this. I think. 

I had 2 colds within the space of about 3 weeks and as a result was left with what i assumed was an ear infection. Then, one day at work (I have a high preassued and stressful job) I was sat at my desk and just felt like I was going to fall over, since I'd been having headaches every day for about 3 weeks aswell, I panicked. I went to my doctor, he told me I had a minor inner ear infection and a little bit of vertigo - the headache were from stress and anxiety. He didn't give me anything for either of them, he simply told me to chill out and if the symptoms change, to go back. Then, 3 days later in work, again, I was completely fine but suddenly, while I was on the phone, I felt like I was going to fall over, again with the drunk feeling only this time I felt sick. By the time I left work my chest was tight and I my face was numb. I went straight to ER and they rushed me through to observation where they completed a whole lot of tests, only for everything to come back fine. They did blood works and chest xrays and said it was anxiety. They gave me diazepam but could only give me one dose and advised I go to see my doctor to get something to keep my anxiety under control. 

But, I think they've missed something. For a while the bottom of my neck, top of my shoulder was hurting (I have bad posture) and now it's like my neck and head are bruised and it's hurting my brain. I'll feel fine and then suddenly I'll feel sick, as if I'm about to fall over and like someone is poking my brain with a fork. Othertimes, it feels like my brain is falling? If that makes sense? I'm actually afraid to go to sleep because I lay down and it's like my brain is jumping/falling. I've woken up at 5am, sat straight up in bed because I've had this brain moving/falling feeling. My chest also gets tight with it. 

If I take strong painkillers, the whole thing usually goes away for about 3/4 hours but then it comes back. If I get up and walk around, I find that I'm ok, until I sit back down. I actually sit on the floor in work because it feels 'safer' .

I'm hoping to see my doctor again soon to get something because I'm hyper aware of everything in my body and I'm noticing the smallest things, like I have a few bruises that are only a finger print big on my legs and arms, I get quick sharp pains in my leg and arm. My left upper arm aches, I get dizzy, I don't feel like I'm in my own body, I'm just so damn scared of everything.

I think stress is triggering my anxiety, but I've never ever been like this before. I just want to be normal again. I feel like I'm trapped inside hell, only it's my own body. 

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I hope you can respond. I am reading these threads desperate for answers. My head is tingling and scalp as well. Just have had mild - moderate one sided headache on left side of head and face. I am so tired of doctors not knowing. Apparently tension isn't just one sided but I don't have all the migraine symptoms. What ended up helping you with the tingling? I hope something! Imitrex and over the counter do nothing. I have had years ord anxiety but I am not stressed now! This is going to make me worry but I just need answers and to know its not some awful cancer . Any advice would be helpful!

• Posted

I've had all the same problems head hurts in the middle of your head in then the left side feels so sensitive In also my chest beat fast at time I feel super paranoid like its the end you no what I'm saying my doctor prescribed me hydroxyzine Pam 25 mg cap I Harley take them last night was my first night I be so afraid it get on my nerves I just won't to feel normal again I feel weak sometimes I just won't to lay down all the time my ears where sensitive loud noise hurt my ears but I try to deal with it every time I get these simpton I try running to the hospital I pray about some Ppl say work out it help jogg but never tried doing it but I hope you feel better in me too as well just pray about it try taking your mind off of it with some relaxing jazz or something

• Posted

Hello, I get lots of weird pains and sensations, I have constent dizziness and very shakey.yes it, s anxiety and now even though I don, t panic the syptoms and pain are horrendous.do you ever get numbness and pain in mouth , neck, jaw, like toothache in every tooth.tomorrow will be different symptoms.try not to worry and hopefully you will feel better.
    • Posted

Hey I know this is an older post but I was wondering if you still have the dizziness? I started getting it out of the blue over a month ago with a trip to er and blood tests was told it was a blood infection first I was put on antibiotics and it went away for two weeks, then again it came back and went back to the er and they did blood tests again and it came back everything good and that I had anxiety, I was put in Celexa and Buspar and the Buspar worked for two days and now I'm dizzy once again and when it happens it is a constant feeling with no breaks, also have a minor head ache along with it and was wondering. What you took and how long it lasted before it went away, I can deal with the anxious feeling and the panic attacks but I can't deal with the dizziness it really strsses me out, in so convinced I have something more wrong with me because of it

• Posted

Lisa, I am so glad you started this thread as it has helped so many people including myself. It's 4am and I have woken freaking out that once again, my life is impending doom from this weird tingling in the back side of my head. I am 34 as well. I would love to know how many people in this post are on birth control or any type of hormone supplement. One thing that really really helped my anexity and symptoms was getting my IUD out. I was a nut bar a couple months ago with frequent visit to my doctors. I wasted so much time in the emergency department night after night, totally convinced I was dying. I think I even convinced the paramedics when I made my husband call 911. The doctor said it would take about 6 months for all the symptoms to subside. I am so happy to have my personality coming back. But I am going to sign up for therapy as I don't think one can truly ever lose this feeling especially when you are constantly thinking about your kids and family after you are gone.

• Posted

Hi. I am currently experiencing similar issues. How are you today?
    • Posted

Hi Cindy10601,

In my experience it could really be anxiety. Started 8 months ago, for 1 month i had head symptoms like headache, tingling, water splashes in my head. I had panic attacks and couldnt sit in front of a computer. Then in stopped, it moved to chest issues that i thought ik having a heart attack, lbut all is clear, also had symptoms of gastro pains, Then it became a lump sensation in the throat. But it gets better, you become stronger, u start living with these symptoms and accept ur disorder. My doctor gave me setraline took it for 3 months , enjoyed new sports and as much as possible keep myself busy and most impt have faith in God(he gives us sense of peace) by Gods grace i feel better. Hope this helps!

• Posted

8 months ago? I don't understand how this just happens. Here is my story...Back in April I was exercising and I had an instant head ache where my right side was numb and I had burning sensation (like water up your nose) in my nose. I went to the ER and they did a CT scan which showed nothing. They suggested I have an spinal tap to ensure there was no bleeding in the brain, I allowed this and they said all was okay. I went on okay for about 4 months and then it all went down hill. The end of July I was working out again and something happened. It started in my wrists, where they started going numb & tingly, I couldn't breath and I was extremely dizzy. I thought maybe my sugar was low, but that wasn't the case. I all of a sudden became scared around people. The right side of my face was numb and tingly for a week or so with extremely bad head aches, this was then followed by my entire right side (arms and legs) constangly trying to go to sleep, or numb. That lasted for 2 weeks and has subsided a little. I had a head MRI which revealed 3 abnormal "spots" and I am currently waiting to see a neurologist (with a 1+ year wait). I still have head aches everyday and sometimes when they hit I thinkg I am going to pass out and can't swallow. This can last from 2 seconds to hours. This is my 11th week with these symptoms and I just want to be back to my old self. I have ativan for when needed and other than that I have taken myself off all medication until someone can actually help me.

I trust in God and have faith that he will help me through this.

• Posted

I have been having the same symptoms it's almost as if it feels like my head is bleeding on the inside I went to the hospital cause I was worried that it was a brain tumor. They told me that I looked fine without doing any scans on my head and told me it was a migraine. I got diagnosed with panic attacks and anxiety and all I want to believe is that there is something seriously wrong with me.

• Posted

I'm going through the same symptoms but I am even more confused ,because my family think I been witched. In my African culture , when a person is having mental problems then the first thing comes in their mind is witchcraft. Its so sad , I just got a scholarship to go and study at one of the university in Asia. Now I am even thinking of going back home because I hardly cope with these conditions.

Sorry I hope my English is much clear.

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Im only 13 yet I have been feeling the same pains as you have for the past month. I haven't had the tingling but Im now worried that i might. Im worried that ill have what you are suffering with and it scares me to think that I would be only 13 and have this weird condition.the pains get stronger at night making my cry silent tears. My mother doesn't know about these pains because I hope that its nothing, just a long head ache but I have the feeling, at the pit of my stomach, that its something more. Please HELP

• Posted

HI,  I just posted on this thread and have now seen your post. Try not to worry. It seems the majority of people tested with these symptoms for something more sinister come back with clear results. It makes it frustrating but reassuring that it's nothing horrible.

• Posted

I hope you speak with your mother on this. She loves you I'm sure and will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.