Long term use of Zopiclone

Posted , 27 users are following.

I realise that nowadays, GP`s aren`t keen on prescribing the \"Z\" drugs, however I started taking Zopiclone in 1994, and to be honest, I still find them the most useful sleeping tablet, even after 17 years. The others Zolpidem and Zaleplon did not work at all for me.

Back when I was initially prescribed them the dose was 15mg and that`s what I take to this day. When I started my journey I was totally messed up, in many ways, and I was lucky to find myself under the care of a Consultant Psychciatrist that wasn`t afraid to prescribe \"unfashionable\" medications, hence my still being on them.

Initially, I was going through divorce, redundancy, bankruptcy, suicidal, self harming... etc. etc., and the main cause for this was my poly drug abuse, and alcoholism, and the problems with Family, ex, friends, health this caused.

To cut a long story short, all this caused a Heart attack when I was 37 years old, and this was the \"prompt\" that finally caused me to grow up.

I`ll restrict this to Zopiclone, as I think this drug is getting a bad press, and although some of it is deserved, I think that if taken properly, it remains an effective way to get some sleep.

From my experience, 15mg is the maximum effective dose, taking more will not make you sleep anymore or get to sleep any quicker, infact in my case taking over 15mg is counter-productive, and can be dangerous.

Basically I had to learn (and it took a long time) not to expect \"knock-out drops\", I find it is best to take them, and within 1/2hr be prepared to sleep. That is in bed, comfortable, dark, and quiet (if all these things can be managed that is). I don`t expect any extreme feelings of drowsiness, etc. in fact I usually cannot remember falling asleep, and often cannot remember dreaming, usually it seems that I close my eyes, and that`s it, it`s morning!. I also found that although many people find the amnesia that sometimes occurs can worry people, my way of looking at it is \"well that`s 33% of my problem solved\", as I`m sure everyone will know, there`s nothing worse than insomnia when you`re Depressed, anxious or worried, or in pain or whatever is keeping you awake 24hrs a day.

Everyone is different, and I see that many people find that Zopiclone is not for them, for many reasons.

If taken as prescribed, I haven`t found anything more effective than Zopiclone for Insomnia.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers Egggbert

6 likes, 121 replies

121 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Having learned via this forum, and by looking at my online prescription ordering site, I have discovered that Zopiclone has now become a controlled drug (CD4-1), and my dose has been cut in half!

Was rather annoyed that I had to find this out via the internet, as I had seen my GP yesyerday morning, and they didn`t mention the change.

Fortunately, I have 10 tablets which i intend to drop from 2 a night to 1 and 1/2 at night, hoping this will soften the shock to my system of going sraight from 15mg to 7.5mg.

My sympathies to anyone who like me has been taking 15mg for years, and find that they now are on 7.5mg.

BTW, it seems this is Government action, not your GPs decision, so don`t be too hard on them if you find yourself unable to sleep anymore (for a while).

Paddy

• Posted

hello i have been taking zopiclone for 17 years 7.5mg 2 a night they stopped working so a started taking 37 mg a night thats 5 per night i am so addicted to them now and are trying to come off them my doctor has give me 2 a night 7.5mg to get me off them the withdrawl symptoms are so bad i feel ill and this is only my second day cutting down i am so scared as i am shaking pains in chest etc. take it from me please be very very careful taking zopiclone i now have to go to a 24\7 drud addiction its the worst feeling to cope with .
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 21 weeks pregnant and badly depressed. My behaviour has been irratic (this time two nights ago I attempted to sleep on the floor of my empty old flat, and spent ten minutes holding a kitchen knife to my arm trying to hold on to thoughts of my children to prevent me from going any further. I am worst at night and have been prescribed seroxat and 3.75mg of zopiclone. It just doesn't work. I'm wide awake as I was yesterday night. I am so frustrated at the restrictions being pregnant puts on what I can take. Is 7mg OK? I need to be able to take myself to bed when the kids go up, or the demons in my head have a party and I'm scared I'll be back to the kitchen knife ;(
    • Posted

Hi bumpy goodness I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling this way and can totally understand how you feel. I would say if these meds are not working for you please go back to your gp it probably isn't a good idea to take more than your prescribed meds without seeing your doctor first .just to ask are you taking your meds at the same time as each other as when I was put on zopiclone I was told to take my anti depressants at the same time and I did feel like they worked against each other but I'm on fluoxetine so not to sure if it's the same hope they can get this under control for you soon nothing worse than nit being able to control your own mind xxxx
  • Posted

Don't take zopiclone even if it is prescribed to you. It is as addidictive as heroin and much harder to get off (I can proivide the links if you do not believe me)! The only way is a crossover to diazepam, which takes time. 

I believe Zopiclone should be completely banned, it should be a class A drug not class C, and I speak from personal experience having been to hell and back.

• Posted

Zopiclone is not indicated when pregnant, aparently it can cause withdrawals in the new born.

As for it being as addictive as Herion , having experience with both of these drugs over many years, I can only say Rubbish. Utter nonsense, Heroin (exept as the Diamorphine form given when having Heart attacks or simlar) has no clinical use, it is purely a drug of abuse, Zopiclone, can be taken without problem by most people.

• Posted

Well Zaphod, I have no experience of Heroin, I can only say what I read.  Until they became Class C I was buying Zopiclone over the internet for several years and had to take them every 4-6 hours else I got terrible withdrawal symptoms. After the ban I went to my GP who eventually swapped me over to 20mg /day diazepam. Over a couple of months I've been able to reduce this to 10mg at night only, and hope to get down to zero by following the Ashton plan.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I have experience with Heroin, and I have also experience with Zopiclone, I am saying that Zopiclone taken As Prescribed shouldn`t be a problem for most people. You admit you were buying it off the internet and abusing it.

I`ll re phrase, Zopiclone taken as prescribed is nowhere near as addictive as Heroin.

Although some people with addictive personalities will manage to convinve themselves they are addicted to Aspitirn, most people will have no problem.

• Posted

I have experience with Heroin, and I have also experience with Zopiclone, I am saying that Zopiclone taken As Prescribed shouldn`t be a problem for most people. You admit you were buying it off the internet and abusing it.

I`ll re phrase, Zopiclone taken as prescribed is nowhere near as addictive as Heroin.

Although some people with addictive personalities will manage to convinve themselves they are addicted to Aspitirn, most people will have no problem.

• Posted

Apologise for double post, it went onto a new page! Doh

• Posted

BTW I really do wish you all the best with your reduction plan, I have heard many good reports about this method of getting off of all tranx.

Don`t fall into the trap of swapping one demon for another though, I, when I was going through various withdrawals would turn to Alcohol, as it is cheap, legal, and prettty much available 24/7. Yet, (apart from cigaretttes) it is the most difficult of all to quit, and the most socially damaging.

Paddy

• Posted

True words.

I was an alcoholic for 15 years and it's the hardest thing I've ever had to give up.

I'll be 2 years dry this December 2016!

I find 7.5mg zopicline and 10mg Diaxepam helps me sleep. Some days I can even go wirhout and sleep soundly which is nice.

Hope you're still doing well Eggbert and everyone else following.

• Posted

Hey Egggbert, are you still taking Zopiclone? Have you had any issues?
    • Posted

Yes it was reduced to 7.5mg a few years ago when some genius in Government decided to make it a CD4 drug, but just had my medicines review yesterday and Dr signed it off for another year without any comment.

I now take 5mg of Diazepam with it to make up for the drop in dosage.

Paddy

• Posted

BTW I am Egggbert but forgot the password for that account.
    • Posted

That's good I guess, I'm taking 15mg, I get 7.5mg but I get one from GP one from the pyschologist
    • Posted

Hey Egggbert, I know you chnaged your profile on here... Wondering how you're getting on? Are you on 7.5mg now? I'm back up to 15 [sad]

• Posted

My Pychiatrist retired a couple of years ago, the replacement discharged me after 5 minutes consultation, without even opening my notes, bacause I said I was not at all suicidal!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.