Bunion Operation

Posted , 117 users are following.

I hope this will help anybody having or thinking of having a bunion operation.

I had my operation on my right foot 4 weeks ago. I had read so many horrific articles about how painful it is etc. etc. I can only speak for myself, I felt some pain for a couple of days which painkillers took care of. After that it was a little uncomfortable for 10 days. After two weeks I went back and had the dressing changed, and apart from the inconvenience of resting my foot for 6 weeks, I would not hesitate in having the left one operated. I still have two weeks to go before I return to the fracture clinic and have the plaster dressing removed. Hopefully then I will be able to start walking again. I was given elbow crutches a black boot to wear when moving about the house, these has been a godsend.

I hope this has helped anybody who is worried about having a bunion operation.

16 likes, 568 replies

568 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had bi lateral MIS surgery just over 6 weeks ago. I had my second follow up yesterday and only then was I told I could drive, swim & walk without my surgical sandals. Hope this helps. Btw you will find your feet will ache and swell for a while. So far I am delighted with my results. The pain was neglible and the result excellent! 
    • Posted

Hi sandispoon,

it's so wonderful to read a positive result.  It must be wonderful to be able to get about again, just don't do too much all at once! smile

• Posted

Hi there, im not sure how to post on this so im sorry if ive replied to anything.

I had my surgery 4/5/2015 and its now 8/5/15, and i must say...i completely regret my decision to have this done. I am completely bed bound, my body is killing me from being bed bound.when i try to get up all the pressure runs down to my foot and it becomes very sore. I came accross this forum and everyone seems to be fine after a couple of days? I feel devastated that im not, ive kept my foot elevated...ive followed the rules but yet im still suffering.i have a little girl who will be 3 on the 24th of this month which just makes it even harder as i have to get my mum to look after her and my mum is struggling, i lay in my bed and all i can do is listen to them...my wee one crying!.i tried to get about with the medi shoe thing today and ended up in to much pain. Should i seek medical advice? I cant take much more.

Xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa,i know exactly how you feel just had second foot done on 2/6/2015 so day 5 and in a lot of pain (i did have both sides of my foot done this time and had a more severe bunion on this foot) the first time was bad enough but it feel so much worse this time.

I had to call doctor to get stronger pain killers which has helped.

I am now just about able to gently balance on my lovely cumbersome shoe as i was hopping around on the crutches and nearly falling over.

Hang on in there it will get a little bit better every day,little being the word of the day!!!!!

Had first foot done 30/1/2015 and was just feeling like i was starting to walk nearly normal with a small limp .

It seems to take so long to heal had a stiff leg a very painful ankle my toes killed was really distressing couldnt get any shoes on at all.

Bought some sketcher pumps and they were a godsend.

was still taking the odd painkillers at 12 weeks and foot was still swollen.

Keep off your feet for the first two weeks only going to loo and take medication .

xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. Im so glad other people understand as i keep hearing and reading that people were up and about after 2 weeks and it was starting to get me down. I am also just hobbling with my crutches i cant put that shoe on yet as i cant take the pressure. Can you tell me if your shoe size changed? I only got my right foot done so im hoping i dont end up with 2 different sized feet.

Xx

• Posted

Hey Lisa how are you today?

When you put shoe on just use your crutches to take the weight so your only barely touching the floor for balance.Makes you laugh when they tell you how to go up and down stairs,no chance bottom is best lol!think that takes a few weeks before you get the confidence to do stairs.

My left foot looks like i have had a foot transplant lol! it is beautiful,it looked so deformed before and i would say it is so much slimmer.obviously as they have chopped side off lol!And as for the right one i can't wait to see it as it was so bad i couldn@t wear any nice sandals or flip flops and hopefully no more pain wearing shoes.

You must be finding it hard with a 3 year old! Can@t imagine thats easy!! Like you i have an amazing mum she comes over every day and makes lunch and dinner for all of us .

xx

• Posted

Hi 

all I can say is persevere! Things must've gotten to a bad point if you decided to operate, and I can promise you the results are worth it!! I had my operation in October so now 6 months on and I am so happy. I used to get pain everyday from my foot, now I get none and so many shoes now fit my feet! I spent 6 weeks in total with my foot elevated (on two cushions on the sofa, if not higher, and at night). Although it was frustrating and a little depressing at times, family taking me out for drives helped me from going insane! I can imagine having a little girl it's a struggle to not try and get up and help. After the second week it gets a bit easier, but the most time you can spend with it elevated the better as your recovery will be better and quicker. I have attached some images - before, after two weeks, a couple of months and 6 months. As you see the swelling will last for a little while, my first couple of months of walking again I mostly wore trainers. Your foot will swell easily as the blood vessel serving your foot is one of the weakest, even now if I over do it it swells a little. 

I was told to do exercises after two weeks to help get flexibility back again, try and do this as much as possible (but only if you were told to!) as it will help you get back to walking again! 

Good luck! 

• Posted

Waw! Your foot looks amazing. Thank u very much for replying. I have managed to hobble about today although it is very uncomfy amd alot of pressure and im going to call my doctor tomorrow for some more meds.but you have gave me hope lol. Thank you

Xx

• Posted

Hi,

I'm 19 years old and and in my opinion have pretty bad bunions on both my feet and have done for as long as I can remember. It's got to a point where it's uncomfortable even the two bunions slightly brushing each other, I can't sleep at night due to the pain of the bunion pushing down on my bed and being in or out of shoes is also painful. I'm so conscious about my feet and will not take my socks off or wear open shoes. They're so bad even my family have took the mick out of me for as long as I can remember and it definitely has had a knock on affect. Even going in a private friends pool or to the beach I will wear socks in the water. I'm seriously considering getting this surgery done but the only thing stopping me is that I have a soon to be 3 year old and its just me and him at home. I've been to the doctors once already and he said that he's seen more severe cases than mine so he's not going to do anything about it, which in my opinion is very unprofessional considering I'm in quite a lot of pain. I would post a picture if I knew how to to get a better opinion.

Opinions please?

Chloe x

• Posted

Hi chloe.

I was exactly the same as you.

I have had them as long as I can remember.

Mine are hereditary from my father's side.

When I was 19 I went to see about surgery but decided against it

I have now had one foot done, last Wednesday, and so far it has been an easy ride. Uncomfortable for the first few days, but pain has been minimal.

I was told to expect severe pain after surgery but in my case there was hardly none. I stopped taking painkillers 4 days after the operation.

• Posted

Hi,

I had surgery on my left foot last Wednesday.

Apart from some slight uncomfort, pain had been minimal.

I've had tendans cut, screws put in, the bunionectomy, and realignment surgery.

I have a question though. When I have been bandaged up it looks as though my big toe has been set to the right slightly which has left a sizeable gap between my big toe and the one next to it. I go for my dressings changed next week.

Will the gap between my toes go over time?

Also from reading comments on here it appears that some people have a cast somewhere in the bandaging, but I don't. Why is this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

• Posted

Hi

I thought the same when I had my op but the gap goes after a few weeks without the bandage. Sounds like you've had a similar experience to me, I stopped using pain killers a couple of days after the operation. Now 9 months on its the best decision I've ever made! The recovery time is slow and steady initially, but worth it in the long run! Make sure you do the exercises when they tell you to and keep up with it!

Good luck!

• Posted

Great. Thank you.

I can't wait to be able to wear flip flops but was worried the gap wouldn't go.

Just the other foot to be done now!! Haha

Thanks x

• Posted

Hi

I have a bunion on my right foot and I am planning of going for the bunion operation. I work in office and I do not have the luxury of being out of action for 6 months! may I ask how long do you think I can get back to work and wear my normal shoes?

Alice

• Posted

Dont do it i just got mine done besides hurting so much day in day out in pain im on codene or vicadin all day for the pain really look into it before u get it done n makesure u have people that will help u with everything especially if ur getting both feet. Im wondering how will u go to the restroom will u be using a bedpan?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.