Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram?

Posted , 526 users are following.

Hi there,

After much deliberation, talking to just about anyone I could find and generally scouring the internet for information, I have decided to go with the Docs advice and take Citalopram, starting today. And then I found this site....

Has anyone NOT had any side effects on this? It is making me feel very worried about taking it. Am I just going to have to sit tight and presume the worst? Are there people who take it and dont feel nauseous and tired or even worse to begin with?

I would really appreciate any comments.

Thanks

M

38 likes, 5315 replies

5315 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm on week 3 of 20mg and have diarrhea still. It's driving me crazy! I have severe health anxiety and panic attacks made worse by a recent health scare, they found a mass on my left kidney, after further tests it was discovered that nothing is there!!

I'm feeling much calmer regarding my health and not so anxious. But the stomach problem is upsetting me. Because of my health anxiety is keep thinking I've got something wrong with my bowels.

Has anyone found that's this gets better with time? I'm considering changing them for something else.

• Posted

Yes it does get better with time with thoughts becoming less obsessive. One of the health issues I was obsessing about was my bowels - checks revelead no issues but it takes a while for your brain to process it when you've had it in the forefront of your mind for some time. One thing I did do was change my diet, went lactose and gluten free and have been that way for 3 weeks - the symtoms I was experiencing and which I was attributing to cancer in my head literally disappeared overnight. Keep going, you'll get there soon enough.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I'll certainly consider a change of diet, my appetite is gone anyway so not eating a great deal xx

• Posted

Hi Faye. I know what you mean about loss of appetite, just thinking about food makes me feel sick.  However, tonight, for the first time in weeks, I've eaten a full plate of food. I don't think my stomach can believe it right now, it's making all sorts of noises!  

im guessing the anxiety is probably playing havoc with your stomach. Once we get past all this anxiety, I hope we all feel back to normal, whatever that is! X

• Posted

I had a dinner tonight too....first one in weeks! Smoked haddock, mash and broccoli....it was amazing 😃

Feeling much more 'normal'

Hope your stomach settles and you are back fighting fit soon! Xx

• Posted

Hi Faye. I had an Indian takeaway....hopefully it will stay where it is!

Im sure we will all be good soon, positive thinking helps. However, being positive is damn hard when you're feeling anxious!  X

• Posted

I have been taking 20mg of Citalopram for around 10weeks now and the doctor wants to swap me to Escitalopram. Apparently it is a purer form of citalopram. Does anyone know if I can literally stop taking the C and immediately start the Ecitalopram or do I need to ween myself off of the C? Many thanks
    • Posted

To be honest, I haven't got a clue. I would say try googling but you could end up with all kinds of mixed messages. I would check with your doctor to be on the safe side x

• Posted

The doctor wants me to take the new drug immediately at full dose and keep taking the citalopram at the same time then over a period of 4 weeks ween myself off of the Citalopram. Just don't fancy taking both drugs together. The pharmacist told me to just stop the Cit cold turkey...confused!

• Posted

No, I wouldn't be happy doing that either. I guess the doc knows what he's talking about ... i suppose is depends on what dose you are on. If it's 20 of each, that obviously makes 40 which is still a safe dose but I have no idea how different they are as in side effects etc. Can you get advice from a different GP x

• Posted

Aww that's great when you have a good doc like that. I'm sure she wouldn't tell you to take both if it was dangerous but I'd still be worried purely because of those damn side effects 😡 X

• Posted

The pharmacist said they are essentially the same drug so no need to ween off but who knows! 😭

• Posted

I haven't changed yet but spoke to my pharmacist who suggested taking half a tablet of citalopram and half a tab of escitalopram for four weeks as a compromise...X

• Posted

Good idea! I guess those of us who have experienced side effects are more likely to be nervous about changing meds, upping doses etc. Or is it all in our heads. What a mess!!  

Let me know how you get on, will be interesting to see what, if any, difference it makes. Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine xx

• Posted

The general consensus from pharmacists that I've spoken to is that Escitalopram is a superior version of citalopram - not prescribed as often as it used to be more expensive but is now readily available. It's like citalopram without the gunk that causes side effects. We'll see...

• Posted

Haven't started the change over yet...might save the drama for after Xmas! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.