very weak and sleepy after parathyroidectomy

Posted , 61 users are following.

I had a parathyroid gland removed on Thursday (four days ago). The surgeon was very happy - PTH fell already during the operation and my calcium was normal when they discharged me. I have since developed pins and needles and have been taking calcium supplement.

The scar itself doesn't bother me at all and I don't need painkillers anymore, which is great.

However, I am still very weak and still mostly in bed. Is it normal? Am I expecting too much too soon? Is it to do with calcium maybe falling too low?

How many days should it take before I feel strong enough to even look after myself? When should I start to worry?

Thanks

5 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have parathyroid operation one month ago..am having same hurts ,no strenth, every thing you guys gave but I am still peeing a lot which no one ever mentions. Do not say that as soon as you had the operation that you just stopped peeing lots 24/7, that would be impossile! When did the peeping become normal again.
    • Posted

Retiredchemist, I had parathyroid surgery two months ago and my symptoms are unchanged. I'm still very tired, especially in the afternoon, and I have polyuria and polydipsia, which is thirst and peeing. You're right--some sources don't even mention these symptoms and yet they are considered classic symptoms. These symptoms are what brought me to the doctor in the first place about two years ago. Now my PTH is way down from where it was before the surgery and my calcium appears to be slowly falling and is now in the normal zone. But after two months I'm getting frustrated with still not feeling well, and I'm still drinking more than a gallon and a half of water a day. My endocrinologist has prescribed desmopressin which is a synthetic anti-diuretic hormone which is very effective in reducing my water intake as well as bathroom stops. She has not ruled out that I could have diabetes insipidus, which is what desmopressin is usually used to treat. (How could I be so unlucky as to have two similar yet unrelated illnesses at the same time? I just don't believe it.)  I too have been wondering when is this all going to end and that's what brought me to this forum. I see that a couple of people said that it takes several months, so I guess I'll just try to hang in there. 

• Posted

It has been over 5 weeks now. I am in same condition, probably peeing more. Will contact my endocrinologist for appointment tomorrow. I was operated on in Tampa and this doctor is supposed to be the best in US and people go to him from all over the world. I have read that just touching the 4 parathyroids can traumatize them and make them not work .for 2 months.Keep in touch and I will do the same. Best regards.

• Posted

Ivil, I had parathyroid surgery two months ago and my symptoms are unchanged. I'm still very tired, especially in the afternoon, and I have polyuria and polydipsia, which is thirst and peeing. You're right--some sources don't even mention these symptoms and yet they are considered classic symptoms. These symptoms are what brought me to the doctor in the first place about two years ago. Now my PTH is way down from where it was before the surgery and my calcium appears to be slowly falling and is now in the normal zone. But after two months I'm getting frustrated with still not feeling well, and I'm still drinking more than a gallon and a half of water a day. My endocrinologist has prescribed desmopressin which is a synthetic anti-diuretic hormone which is very effective in reducing my water intake as well as bathroom stops. She has not ruled out that I could have diabetes insipidus, which is what desmopressin is usually used to treat. (How could I be so unlucky as to have two similar yet unrelated illnesses at the same time? I just don't believe it.)  I too have been wondering when is this all going to end and that's what brought me to this forum. I see that a couple of people said that it takes several months, so I guess I'll just try to hang in there. 

• Posted

Finally quit peeing so much after hyperathyroid surgery in Tampa 6 weeks after surgery. Still have brain fog in late afternoon. Look up Parathyroid Peeps online or Facebook for info group from California who all went to Norman Clinic in Tampa.
    • Posted

Finally quit peeing so much after hyperathyroid surgery in Tampa 6 weeks after surgery. Still have brain fog in late afternoon. Look up Parathyroid Peeps online or Facebook for info group from California who all went to Norman Clinic in Tampa.
    • Posted

I am now 5 months after surgery and no change in the polyuria. Without desmopressin I go every half hour and still drink at least a gallon and a half of water every day, maybe two. With the drug I'm almost normal, but it wears off. The doctor has OK'd two doses a day which almost covers it. Seems I might have this for the rest of my life at this rate. Now the theory is that I have diabetes insipidus which is very rare, but apparently is not life threatening. I do seem less tired most of the time. 

• Posted

Have you had your kidneys scanned?

• Posted

I have not had my kidneys scanned. I've never heard of that. I have had extensive blood and urine tests. There seems to be nothing wrong there.

• Posted

See this site:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_insipidus

A kidney scan is fairly cheap to be done privately and it removes one of the worries.

• Posted

The article doesn't mention kidney scans anywhere that I could find

• Posted

No, but diabetes insipidus is a kidney disease and it's worth checking that they are OK.  A scan will identify cysts or stones in the kidneys which are commonly caused by HPT.

• Posted

hello

i saw your post and mi not sure how old this is.

i had 2 parathyroids removed over 6 months ago and calcium serum levels are still very low but in range.

weakness fatigue brain fog still going on. did you every recover ? how long did it take? was there something that was discovered that was missing/

Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul, My calcium never went low after the surgery. In every test it is just barely within normal range. PTH is very normal, like 44 I believe. Used to be over a hundred. Surgery was over a year ago. One abnormal parathyroid removed. I think I feel better sometimes but other times I'm very tired. How can I tell if maybe this is just the result of being 60 years old now? I've never been this old before! Many days I feel fine though, like today. I had a sleep study a year ago to check if maybe I was just not sleeping well but they didn't find any serious sleep disruptions. I go to a top-notch hospital in Chicago but they don't seem to have any answers for me. I still have what seems to be diabetes insipidus and am taking desmopressin to stop the polyuria (frequent urination). That has never changed. Strange thing I learned is that two other people who grew up in my neighborhood when I did also had hyperparathyroidism. This is supposed to be a rare disease and three of us had it in a community of maybe 2000 people. LIving near Lake Michigan in the USA, drinking the lake water. Maybe it's polluted with something that causes it? My endocrinologist has no idea. Never heard of such a thing.

• Posted

Are you feeling better yet? I had 2 improvements immediately - the horrible sweats and heartburn are almost gone. This chronic fatigue is still so bad 5 days after surgery. I'm so tired and weak! How long before you saw improvement?

• Posted

Hi Beth, I don't think I ever stopped feeling tired. Maybe something else is going on. I take naps a lot. Fatigue is now almost an everyday thing. My brother suggests I should go to the Mayo Clinic. My surgery was more than a year ago. I hope you have better results than me. The important thing is that my calcium is pretty normal now. Just below the allowable maximum.

• Posted

I hope you get some answers. Life being so tired all the time isn't fun.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.