rivaroxaban effects

Posted , 9 users are following.

What type of side effenoticed eexperiencing with this new aalternative to warfarin. I have noticed since I hhave been taking tablet not been able to lose

Weight. What have you noticed?

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

On the question of Warfarin and bleeding I was on Warfarin for a couple of months . Had no obvious problem except that I suddenly had a bleed in the brain - it left me with weakness on the left side- arm hand leg and sight problems. That was two years ago and I was fortunate , I have  recovered almost  completely. However I  was advised by the stroke consultant not to take anti-coagulents for  fear of a further bleed.  I was then advised to consider a procedure called left atrial appendage occlusion (or some such) . Apparently it blocks off the small appendage in the left atrial where most clots start.  I have had it done and am not taking any anti-coagulents. My afib is relatively non symptomatic and periodic  with no obvious triggers except perhaps cold and fatigue . I take Fle

cainide as a "pill in the pocket" when I have an attack and  I can go whole with weeks with no sign and am  back to cycling and a fairly normal life.

• Posted

I recently read of (Watchman)  the left atrial appendage occlusion procedure and am going to consider having it done privately after seeing the NHS cardiologist once I am finished with my present series of tests as I'm in my third time in AF. As I said to my GP I can't get travel insurance so I might as well spend the holiday money on that. I have had some exchange of E-Mails with a hospital doing it. 

If you Google  Left Atrial Appendage Occlusion you will find a NICE report on it with stats on its sucess rates. At the moment it is only being done as a trial in about ten UK hospitals.

• Posted

Do you mind me asking why you couldn't get travel insurance
    • Posted

Thanks for info Joyce. I'm seeing the doc tomorrow and have decided on warfarin and not rivaroxaban. My bisopralol was increased last week and this has helped with my breathlessness. Must ask again about the af as been told it is now constant. Does the warfarin help with this??
    • Posted

Many reasons, I’m 80, I had a heart valve replaced three years ago, I have very labile hypertension and now AF again but the one that scares the pants off them is my Very Small aortic aneurysm that has hardly grown in fourteen years.

I used to get the aneurysm excluded from the cover. They just work from a tick list and it makes no difference to them if an aneurysm is 3.2 cm or over 5cm.  

• Posted

ok derek thank you. Insurance companies make you seethe don't they. I saw the doctor today and after more discussion I have gone for the easier option to take the rivaroxaban. My husband says we need to take as many holidays as we are able now before they start turning  us down as I we get older!! Take care
    • Posted

Doctors seem more lenient now in prescribing rivaroxaban. The price used to put them off. With an artificial heart valve the new ones are contraindicated for me although one said we can prescribe it despite what the makers say.

At one time we had our travel insurance with TSB. When I went from 67 to 68 they asked for twice the premium as I was a year older:-) We then went to Insure and Go who were quite reasonable. I did once try an insurance broker who came up with £2000 for a month in America. I asked how much it would be for Cuba and that was only £1000. We stayed with Insure and Go.

The consultant advised me not to mention the aneurysm saying it is so small it is hardly an aneurysm:-) Speaking to a cardiologist about the difficulties out with E111 countries he said you can go to New Zealand as they have a reciprocal health agreement with us. I said that I did not want to go there again but would love to go back to Australia who only have limited health care for UK visitors.

• Posted

I phoned my travel insurance.... Insure for All....they were not interested in any new medication only any new condition. They already know about the af so that was all ok....no increase! Thats was a result.
    • Posted

That is a very unusual attitude as conditions can worsen. When I went from two tablets a day to three to control my BP Insure and Go put my annual world wide policy up by £75.

I had just renewed my policy and and happened to read the small print and noticed the ruling so thought it better to tell them.  One of their questions was have you had any changes in mediications in the past six months. If it had changed during that time they did not want you. Apart from that they had always been a very reasonable company and excluded my aortic anureysm from the policy at my request.

My doctor was surprised.at the increase because of an extra tablet. I told him that I was as well as I thought that they would have put it up by a hundred:-)

• Posted

I am with Lloyds and get world wide travel for Free with my free Gold Account. I have been on Warfarin for a few years and have had to pay about £100 for an endorsment to the policy. On the policy it includes rules about your medication having been unchanged and no outstanding checks so be carfull. Make sure you have the endorsment document on paper befor you go. I would guess  I could have got cover cheaper on my other Club Account as it only covers Europe. Policies do have time limits too. I have not had a TIA or clot that may be a factor.
  • Posted

Hi Carroll, I've been on ribaroxaban since my Ablation and have no side affects whatsoever. I normally carry weight anyway but I don't think this drug has anything to do with not being able to loose weight.

im on steroids as well due to a lung condition I have also so I have struggled to loose weight.

there is no medical reason why you should not loose weight on any blood thinners 

• Posted

What were you taking before your ablation as presumably they would not do one unless you were on a blood thinning drug.
    • Posted

Hi Derek,

i was on Xeralto before my ablation as well but stopped a few days before the operation.

Stayed on it for a further 3 months and have been fine since I came off it. Happy to stay that I have not had any AF episodes since my ablation in Feburary.

i think everyone is different. 

• Posted

Speaking to cardiologist after pacemaker fitted I asked about another cardioversion or an ablation. He naturally said that I had to be on a blood thinner before he would do it. I have another problem that he would  like sorted out first so he does not want to see me for six months when we can discuss my options.

He did not want to prescribe another medication but speaking to another doctor there she suggested Diltiazem MR. and gave me a prescripion for some. Yesterday my heart rate stayed on 60/61 during the day before going up to about 80 by night time.

Reading its side effects it seems worse than Bisoprolol AND the cardiologist told another patient to stop it as it was the cause of drops in his BP that caused his falls. He was in with a broken shoulder from his latest fall. As you say we are all different.....and I am unique in that all meds affect me :-)

• Posted

My older sister is awful with any new medication. As you said we are all different take care Carroll
    • Posted

I just looked up a new med that I was prescribed apart from the actual drug it contains:

carnauba wax, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, ethyl acrylate and methyl methacrylate copolymer dispersion, hydrogenated vegetable oil, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, microcrystalline wax, polydextrose, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate, povidone, pregelatinized starch, simethicone, sodium starch glycolate, sucrose stearate, talc, and titanium dioxide"  

How can all that get into one little capsule? Polyethylene glycol is used as a laxitive

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.