Returning to work after TAH and BSO

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have been off for 3 months after my surgery. I have a manual job as work on a hospital ward and have over an hour drive to work. I went to see gp today for review , expecting her to extend my certificate by few more weeks. Still get tired if I have a busy day , need rest pm before school run, get backache after physical work, bowels still not settled and last week found out I was iron deficient with ferritin level of 10. However, she did not even discuss how I was feeling or recovering and just said you have been off for 3 months and I can't sign you off for any longer. On top of my op , I have over last few days had pain in my wrist which she says is tendonitis and didn't seem that worried about. I know it is daunting going back when been off for a while and as she said, I only work part time! But I feel so unfit still, I have poor exercise tolerance still.  Only on patches for 6 weeks and not sure if on right dose. I can honestly say that it has only been over the last week that I have started to feel the start of getting back to normal again. Am I being a wimp? I think I was just shocked that she made that decision without even talking to me , I expected gp to be supportive but don't feel they are now, just a case of " get on with it" . Any one else had issues around when they return and how decision was made etc, and also how you got on when returning to work. I just thought I would feel in a better place physically and mentally/ hormonally! before I went back to work. It is the type of job where you have to be 100% fit really. 

3 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Mumbolian ... where are these gps getting their information from you wonder... an abdominal hysterectomy requires a longer recovery period. I am five months plus post op TAH and my gp has told me that internally I am STILL healing. My boss has been fantastic but I feel very guilty still being off sick. Your recovery sounds akin to mine by the sounds of it ( from your other blog). If you return and cause yourself internal damage you have real problems. I think like the other ladies say you perhaps need to see a different professional. At this point when you feel so out of sorts and vulnerable you do not need this added pressure.
  • Posted

Just a post script. I know I have a strange user name and you may feel you are messaging an alien from Star Trek, but I have used a nickname that my son always calls me, he is only 8 !  So sorry for any confusion, just looks weird I know! 
    • Posted

Ha ha Mumbolian...can I ask you has your intestinal problem (bowels again...) sorted itself out... in my head im beginning to feel like me again at last... but parts of my body still feel alien.. x x
    • Posted

Hi Mumbolian

I have been puzzling over your user name thinking there must be a story in there somewhere.  I like it.

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

No , things still not right. Dr gave me some movicol and took a week to work then gave me diarrhoea! Now told me to drop dose down, but still worried about everything in there. Even though things moving better, I sometimes go to loo then still feel like need to go and feel this pressure pushing down and forward into vagina. Sorry to be so descriptive. Have mentioned this 2 times to gp but just say keep on with movicol. Still following advice post op, holding wad of loo roll at front when you try to go. Really is a pain as feel still issue to be sorted.pressure feels like something stuck internally- sorry tmi ! I have decided I will contact consultant secretary tomorrow. He was fine at 6 week post op check and said discharged but to go back if any worries so think I will do that. As far as work, well I thought I would push myself tonight and went for a walk with my daughter- she was on her bike. Did 45 mins and when got home felt tired again and back aching. This evening have had stabbing pains in groin below scar. Worst scenario, will go into work next week , make sure my concerns are noted in my return to work interview and then go back to gp if not coping. I phoned occupational health on mon and they said although seen by consultant there before, had been discharged and if I had concerns manager needed to re refer me. But manager says as long as gp says I am fit, then that is what they go with. Catch 22 . Will keep you posted. 
  • Posted

Just an update, I spoke to Consultants secretary this morning and have appointment on Saturday. I explained to her the issues I had with GPS and she said that 6-8 weeks is the bare minimum for recovery not a guideline for going back to work! She seemed very understanding, said gps don't know what they are on about , see consultant and he will give me honest opinion etc. so I happy with that. I tried to push myself more yesterday as I thought well if back to work will have to do x,y and z. And today I feel rough again. Didn't sleep well as stressing over things. Do really feel that I am being pushed and pressured. It makes me laugh , I know some people who are too ill to work at all and dr says they can't work and now at home  full time claiming benefits, and yet I can't take a few more flippin weeks sick when I have had a major op. Have to laugh or will cry ! Ha ha . Well we can still blame the torys I suppose. 
    • Posted

Hi Mumbolian

Well thank goodness for that, at last you have spoken to someone who sounds very sensible.rolleyes  Fingers crossed for Saturday but I am sure you will be able to get a sick note from your consultant without any problems.  

Don't push yourself to do anything until you feel ready.  Let me know how you get on at Saturday's appointment.

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Hi yes pleased that youve got an appointment with the consultant. My stomach sounds so similar to yours. I take movicol for days, have awful flatulence pain and then u controllalable loose stools (sorry)... at the moment I trying without to see how I go but not sure how I will get on...going round and round. .from one extreme to the other! good luck for Saturday. Keep us posted love Jo x
    • Posted

Yes, I have had same issues and makes life more difficult! Things always seem to be on the move when I'm in hurry to get somewhere! Ever since had surgery one extreme to the other, hope things improve for you. Feel don't want my bowels to be so unpredictable in the long run! Xx
  • Posted

Hi I am 8 week post op with the same ,been back to GP today as I have a large swelling , he did not seemed bothered told me he cannot understand why I am not back at work , I should be fit for work 6 weeks after op , my surgeon said I must have 12 weeks minimum , but GP is not happy with me taking this time off , I am still getting pain the swelling is not going down and after been on my feet for a couple of hours I need to rest , so I asked the  doctor if I return to work ( which will have me on my feet for 9 hours a day ) how would he feel about a complaint against him for lack of care , he then examined my belly and agreed I could have a hernia and then gave me another sick note and is sending me for a scan , he agreed that WHEN I am ready to return to work it must be a phased return to help me cope . Funny how his attitude changed when I mentioned complaining, I hope you get the support you need because same as you I know I am not ready for a return to work 
    • Posted

Oh, poor you, it is horrible when the ones meant to be looking after you seem so useless! It just adds more stress when you should be focusing on getting better. All this back to work after 6 weeks is a load of rubbish. I have been told by a few people that they had 3 -4 months off work after abdominal hysterectomy. I have been trying to do more last 2 days but today I was shattered by 1 pm and just couldn't do anymore. When I saw dr at occupational health he seemed of the opinion that when I am ready then work would support me , which is fine , but I don't know how I would cope with it at the minute. I just hope I get to have a proper discussion with the surgeon and get an honest opinion. I do feel anxious that I don't want to risk undoing things. Anyway, I hope you get things sorted. It is tough when you have gone through all this and then you hit another obstacle. Good luck and keep in touch. Xx
  • Posted

Any of you ladies who have been replying to this post, thought you might be interested in something I found on Internet. Site called hysterectomy toolbox  - healing. Had some good info on post op recovery, I found it useful and made me think that I am not being daft by worrying about going back to work and overdoing it. 
    • Posted

Hi Mumbolian

Many thanks for the 'hysterectomy toolbox' site.  It has answered one of my worries.  I got permission from my GP to insert my applicator of Estrogen cream, finally plucked up the courage to do it, and ...... I had terrible trouble inserting it, I thought with all the prolapses out of the way I would have a clear run as it were!  Still the Hysterectomy Toolbox explained everything, and also explains why some of the ladies had a bit of trouble when they first tried sex.  

So thanks again, extremely helpful.  Hope your recovery is coming along well.

Love

Jacqui smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.