Is HETEROGENEOUS Thyroid normal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just received my TSH blood test and its 96 (Norm .5-5.5). 

Got thyroid ultrasound and it said: 

The right lobe of the thyroid measures 5.6 x 2.4 x 1.9 cm and is heterogeneous. 

The thyroid isthmus measures 7 mm. 

The left lobe of the thyroid measures 5.0 x 1.8 x 1.8 cm and is heterogeneous.

PROMINENT HETEROGENEOUS THYROID GLAND WITHOUT FOCAL NODULE.

My doc put me on Levothryoidcine 50 and will do other blood tests in six weeks.  He Said my ultrasound is normal.

is my thyroid enlarged? Isn't 96 very high?  Should I request a endocrinologist?  I have terrible symptoms and after all the non/misdiagnoses am ready to get some relief!

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Ann, your TSH is definitely high.  Mine was similar and like you started on 50 mcg Levo which brought it right down to 30 upped Levo to 75 mcg and is now 5.5.  I won't be happy until it's around 1 though as that is optimal and I am still symptomatic.

If you are in the UK you will have to request antibody tests, as primary care does not automatically do it.  Apparently they reckon 90% of people with hypo have antibodies.  Thing is there is nothing they can do about about the antibodies but there is plenty you can do to help yourself ie. gluten free diet.  And make sure your GP is treating your thyroid levels correctly.

Personally I feel antibody tests should be done automatically once thyroid shows some distress, at least then you can start trying to help yourself.

It is also important to get your Vitamin B12, Vit D, iron, ferritin and folate tested, which I'm still trying to get done.  

I'm still on a learning curve myself but there is some excellent reading on the net as long as you read from reputable sites

• Posted

Thanks!  Yep sounds like I will need to get all these vitamins checked as I'll bet they are exhausted from my system as much as I am exhausted.  A whole new road to go down now!
  • Posted

Update to above

TSH 70 (.4-4.5 norm ) (was96) after two weeks levothyroxine. 

Thyroid Peroxide Antibody 496 (0-34 norm)

t3 free 2.1 (2-4.4 norm)

t4 free .97 (.82-1.77 norm)

POsitive Pembertons sign (lift arms to side of head, face turns red, blue andcant breath)

getting neck and chest CT scan in a couple days to see if thyroid is blocking off blood flow from my head.

anyone familiar with this?

I feel like I am suffocating when I lift arms, lift head or lower head such as when reading or eating.  Lots of other hypothyroid signs too.  Swollen face, dizzy, tingly shin and hands and feet etc.

• Posted

Hello Ann:

I have Hashimoto's since 1987, but I have a goiter now.  Sometimes the gland swells and that alone can be enough to make it hard to breathe. It looks like the Levo is working as your TSH is coming down. 

Some of us have it worse than others so, in some people they may remove the gland as it is causing respiratory distress. You may be looking to do that. That is a decision you will need to discuss with your doctor.

I do sleep with my head elevated on 2 pillows and I can't sleep on my back as it is hard to breathe like that.

I am sorry you have the disease but I have lived with it for a long time and at least you are converting the T4 into T3 and that is helpful.

Please let us know how you do.

Shelly

• Posted

Shelly

If the tsh is coming down what does it signify?

How low has it got to be to get rid of the signs and symptoms?

Why do the antibodies rise?

How does the doctor know when to keep checking the bloods?

• Posted

Thanks Shelly.  At what point would you consider removing your thyroid?  Does it cut off your blood supply from your head?  It is hard for me to put my head on a thin pillow as my head goes forward and cuts down my blood flow making  it feel like I can,t breath.  Lack of oxygen I assume.  Do you get like that?

• Posted

Hello Ann19043:

If you can't breathe and the gland stays swollen and does not settle down enough, you may want to get a referal to and Endocine Surgeon who knows about removing the gland.

It does happen in some of us that the tracehea which is underneath the thyroid gets pushed on and that will create a problem with breathing.  You can buy in stores or online an oxygen saturation meter that you put your index finger into.  If you fall below 95% Oxygen level in the body that may be a point to consider surgery to remove it. 

I use 2 pillows and sleep on my side which is comforatble. When I had to do a thyroid ultrasound it was hard  for me since you need to be on your back.

It can cause Apnea which is a lack of breathing and circulating oxygen, and then you gasp for air or it wakes you up.   I have experienced pressure  on my tracehea while on my back and noticed it is harder to breathe on my back and it is uncomforatble to feel the airway being pushed on.  Some people do a sleep study to have it documented for sleep apnea.

The good news is this, it can settle down as long as you take the Levo. You may want to  wait a while more and see if the thyroid reduces in size, sometimes the doctor will stand behind you and feel the gland for size.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

• Posted

Only remove your thyroid if it is cancerous. There are other ways to support a struggling thyroid. If cancerous, then remove, otherwise do not. Your problems may be due to other reasons.Do not rush into an unnecessary thyroidectomy.
    • Posted

Hello Lucy822013:

The TSH is like a sensor for the hormones that the thyroid makes.  If the number comes down from 96 to a 4.0 that means the Thyroid med is working and the person is converting T4 into useable T3.  Symptoms start to get better slowly.

The normal range of TSH is anywhere between 0.34 to 5.60, when a person gets into that range, they will feel  more normal. Doctor's like people's TSH in the 2.0 to 3.0 range but it may take a period of time to get down to that.

The Antibodies rise, when an autoimmune (the body attacks itself and thinks the person's own thyroid is a foreign object/body), condition like LUPUS, Hashimoto's, Graves, & Rheumatoid arthritis and some other conditions.  It lets the doctor know that these antibodies are present. It gives the doctor a way to narrow down the disease and allows for a check on the immune system.  Lower antibodies numbers mean the immune system is getting better, NOT CURED, but in control.

Protocol for checking of the blood levels is: After a few months on a thyroid med. or sooner to see if the TSH is coming down. Then they wait another few months (6 month check), then at a year they check.

Then doctors will want to see you about every 3 months or so to examine you and you most likely will have blood work done.

Doctors do rely on the blood work, but they also should consider the syptoms and they may raise the dosage of the replacement hormone if needed.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly.  I have severe apnea on my back and less on the sides.  Been on a cpap machine for three years.  Wouldnt that be nice if it fixes that?  
    • Posted

I agree with you on that.  Thanks.  We,ll see what the CT says.
    • Posted

I do have an auto immune called ankylosing spondylitis.  I wonder which one causes each other to flare.  My GP is setting me up with endo now.  Seems they are becoming hard to get an appointment.. 
    • Posted

Hello Ann:

If you have a CPAP machine then you may be experiencing what they called Obstructive Apena which means something is causing an obstruction to your breathing.  Some people have polyps in their airways and you have the swollen thyroid gland.

Having a CPAP machine is good. You will get proper oxygenation circulating around from that .  I would say, your thyroid is the culprit here, and may need to be removed if it is causing an obstruction to breathing.  To answer your question, yes, having the thyroid out may stop the need for the CPAP machine.

Many people live good lives without their thyroid. Of course you will need thyroid replacement hormone for the rest of your life.

If you are having severe problems of obstruction of the airway, sadly the thyroid may have to go. You must be able to breathe or nothing else matters.

let us know how it goes, we care.

XO Shelly

• Posted

Hi Ann,

It is looking very much like Hashimoto's or Graves. I looked up the significance of high antibodies and I found the following:

"Approximately 50 million Americans suffer from an autoimmune disease including thyroid autoimmune disorders.  An autoimmune disorder of the thyroid causes the body to view the thyroid gland as a threat or foreign body and to produce antibodies which attack the thyroid.  The two most common autoimmune thyroid disorders are Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s Disease.

Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is characterized by periods of hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) and bouts of hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid).  Grave’s Disease causes hyperthyroidism.  Symptoms of hypothyroidism include weight gain, fatigue, dry skin, hair loss, intolerance to cold and constipation.  Hyperthyroidism causes irregular or racing heartbeat, weight loss, protruding eyes, anxiety, tremors and difficulty sleeping.  Long term effects of not treating these disorders can lead to severe health problems and treatment may require lifelong medication to replace the thyroid hormone and/or radiation or surgery to eliminate excess thyroid hormone."

Your upcomming PET scan should determine the exact problem and it looks like your doctors are being very proactive, that is very good, you should get treatment pretty soon. Let us know how it all goes, there are a lot of us out here who have been through this and we are all pulling for you.

• Posted

Thanks.  I agree i thinks its hashimotos due to heterogenous thyroid.  Now i am concerned about the Pembertons sign which says it could be goiter blocking blood to head, altho ultrasound says thyroid is almost normal size.  Other choice would be lung tumor blocking vena cava.  ALways sumpin.

thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.