Codeine withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 46 users are following.

So to cut a long story short I have been addicted to codeine for over one year. I knew I had a problem but was unable to reduce my intake so decided enough was enough and decided to go cold turkey. I was taking at least 240mg per day. I am now 10 days since last codeine. I'm not going to lie and say it was easy - it was the worst week of my life but the past couple days have been a lot easier and feel so much better and normal again. My only symptoms I am having now is diarrheoa - I have had diarrheoa at least once a day for 10 days and have lost quite a bit weight. How long does the diarrheoa last?! I have bought Imodium but don't want to start messing about with them but feel I might need to. Another problem I am having is sleep - falling asleep okay at nights but wakening up in the middle of the night and struggling to get back to sleep. I have started taking vitamins to start look after myself a bit better and hopefully help with this but any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

4 likes, 476 replies

476 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Day 11 and i feel so much better.  I had one really bad bout of diarrhoea yesterday at 5pm and my legs were in agony going to bed.  I took 2 paracetamol and fell asleep.  I didnt need the loo again until 6:30am the next morning and only been to the loo once again today.  To-day the leg pains have gone and the diarrhoea has eased dramatically.  My head feels so much clearer and everything looks so bright.  yes i am still a bit weak but i know once i begin to eat properly again my strength will return.  Its been a rough 11 days but i can feel the benefit now of going cold turkey.  I still havent told my family about my addiction but i am clear and will NEVER take a Co-codamol again now i see what you have to go through to get clear.  

Thanks to everyone for your advice and help on here and if anyone else want to ask any questions about this nasty withdrawal which doctors dont inform patients of, then please dont hesitate to contact me.

Take care

• Posted

Glad it’s all working out T. You’ll be surprised how good life can be when it’s not hidden by a codeine cloud. Keep posting your progress. Best wishes JH
  • Posted

A wee bout of diarrhoea this morning and im at day 12 cold turkey.  Knocked me back a bit as i thought the worst was over as things were firming up so to speak.  Probably more to do with me eating a bit more.  Ill have to eat plain for a while until im sorted.  Judging by some comments on here, the diarrhoea can last for a while but does subside eventually.  Although from going to the toilet every 2 hrs to twice a day i shouldnt complain lol.  Still feeling great without the Co-codamol hanging over me. Had a slight craving for 2 dispersibles this morning but took 2 Paracetamol and that seemed to help.
    • Posted

Hi I am on day 12 CT. Most physical symptoms have subsided but my mental health has taken a nose dive! Dawn
    • Posted

Hi Dawn. Congrats on reaching day 12. That's an achievement in itself. So well done. How is your mental state affected. The thoughts of going CT again is keeping me away from the Co-codamols!

• Posted

Depression and anxiety seems unreal. I cant shake it off. It probably doesn't help that I am staying in the house. I cant switch negative thoughts off but know I dont want to go back on codeine!

• Posted

Once my diarrhoea subsided I began to go out for small walks etc to get the endorphins going in my body again. I stayed on my sofa, bed or toilet for 2 weeks but now I'm getting outside again. The desperation and depression soon cleared. I hope you feel more positive soon.

• Posted

Weird! I don't want any codeine just want my brain to stop over thinking things I am making mountains out of molehills

• Posted

Hi Dawn, firstly, well done for getting this far. The psychology of withdrawal is complex. However, negative thoughts, anxiety and generalised depression certainly figured in my own case. I found that trying to keep active if possible helped. So too writing my feelings down or even watching a box set or playing online game but I know that isn’t always possible in all circumstances. Reassuring yourself that “this too will pass” isn’t always the answer you want but it’s also true. Things will improve. Best wishes to you JH
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind encouraging words !
    • Posted

Hi dawn, I know exactly what you mean. This is now my 4th week after going CT. best thing I done and body back to normal but I’m on iron tablets and have overactive thyroid so on tablets for anxiety and stress which I think help. Has been hard but trying to push myself every day it’s not easy. Have no intention of taking codeine again after what I went through. I can sleep but wake up at 5 or 6am thinking crazy stuff and just can’t switch off for some reason. My body wants me to do great things but my brain says different and he hard to block that out. Please keep going as it does get much better. I’m starting swimming 2morrow to help give me energy. Wish I could sleep past 6am as I’m sure I wouldn’t feel as tired. Will never go back the way after what I went through to get to this stage and I’m positive to make full recovery. I don’t even think about going into pharmacy thank good. This place and reading everyone’s posts have totally helped me. Keep us updated how your doing x
    • Posted

Hi Pamela, Firstly well done to you - week 4! Tears and anxiety are really bad at the moment so knowing I'm not the only one is comforting. Sleep a problem too. I go to sleep ok then wake at stupid o'clock and can't go back to sleep again. This is all a small price to pay to finish and be FREE! Thank you for your help!

• Posted

Hi Dawn,I’m sure my anxiety was same as yours. Everything was a problem or was going to be a problem. Unimaginable black thoughts. Completely out of character so that I really thought at times I was going crazy.  However,I am not my thoughts and little by little things do change and improve. My recovery isn’t a straight upward line. I have to remind myself not to believe what my head tells me and not to catastrophise. Otherwise I live in the problem. Some days are better than others but in general I’m going in the right direction and so will you as long as you don’t pick up. You are doing great even though you may not believe it. As long as you stay on course you are winning. Keep on keeping on. Very best wishes to you. JH x

• Posted

Hi, Day 13 and the thought of picking up a tablet fills me with dread! Insomia still bad and unable to sit still but feel I have much more energy just need to act on it. Anxiety and head full of negative thoughts this is the worst for me but not going to give in! This discussion is a real help to me and my CT! Thanks to you all! Keep going!
    • Posted

Not sure why I decided to go CT now as being treated for stress and depression due a family issue in my life. Maybe too much at once but in for a penny in for a pound!
    • Posted

Hi Dawn, brave of you to go CT if other anxiety issues but now would be sad waste not to stay with it. Insomnia will improve over time like every thing else. Hang in there JH
    • Posted

Hi Dawn, if you have got to Day13 of CT then don’t give up now! You are through the worst physically and whatever personal issues you are having to cope with now will only be made worse by adding codeine to the mix. Stay strong, take it one day at a time (I know it’s a cliche but it’s true) and don’t be scared to get medical or psychological help for your anxiety if you need it rather than resorting to your old coping strategies. Good luck x
    • Posted

Hi Fiona, thanks for your encouraging words! Nausea doesn't seem to be ending. Haven't eaten properly since started CT. I have found I can eat TUC biscuits and the odd banana but nothing else. Tried dry toast but had to wash it down with water. Concentrating on my fluid intake. Just can't wait to get rid of this metallic taste in my mouth and eat normally. Any idea how long this lasts for?

• Posted

I think I remember my nausea lasted about 4 weeks. I was taking anti- nausea meds and eating dry biscuits and drinking lemonade. The diarrhoea lasted for 2 months and I truly thought that things would never go back to normal and then one day they did! I was coming off a decades long addiction though. Keep hanging in there...x
    • Posted

I didn't have so much nausea. It was the diarrhoea got to me. Constant for 16 days or so and then one morning it just stopped thankfully.

• Posted

My anxiety is going through the roof. Am I wise to ask the doc for some meds to help? Thanks
    • Posted

Hi. This is my first post and the first time I have ever admitted to being on cocodamol 30/500mg for over 6 years.  I am married with 2 teenage boys.  I am in the 3rd year of my nursing degree (but took some time off to be free of codiene).  I have gone down from 8 tabs a day to only 2 tabs within the last year. I have now gone down to 1 tab of 10/500mg a day and tomorrow is my last tab of 10/500mg. I've already had flu like symptoms and diarrhoea.  Read through this forum and I'm amazed at all the support offered, well done everyone!! I am dreading the withdrawals that are to come....I'd hoped by tapering down so low that I may 'avoid' such withdrawals, but I'm doubting it now.  I am shocked how quickly this drug can take over your life (originally took for shoulder pain, and I am ashamed to say I enjoyed the 'buzz'wink. I just want to be free from this 'codiene curse'. 

• Posted

Hi Samantha, and welcome to the forum. 

Well done to you for facing upto your issue and also for how well you’ve done with the tapering! Tapering can be so difficult, you have to be so self disciplined. Myself, I can’t taper because I just can’t help myself if I’ve a bunch of tablets in the house. I managed to kick the habit not so long ago, I took a week off work and did so well with my partners help and support but when I got back to work, my colleague handed me a sleeve of 30/500 cocodomols. He knew I liked them but didn’t know I was addicted, and of course being a addict I couldn’t refuse to I’m back to square one. I don’t blame him of course, it’s my own fault for being so week. Anyway, today is the last day taking nurofen plus, I can’t go through cold turkey again so I’m goinf to lower myself to the 8/500 cocodomols then jump. It’s still hard though 😕 a few years ago I was massively addicted to tramadol - now that is difficult to come off! The WDs from that are out of this world! 

Anyway, I wish you the very best of luck, codeine is sooo good but oh so bad at the same time. I wish I’d never laid hands on them 

• Posted

Hi Corina and thank you for your reply. 

I no longer have access to codiene as I am in another country which has strict laws against them, therefore, I don't have the 'choice' to take them again. I'm not sure whether that is a blessing in disguise. I have took my last tab of 10/500mg today, so I will keep you updated of my 'progress'. I just keep thinking, if I could fast forward 2 months without them, I would feel good. No longer have to worry about where to get the next batch etc. The funny thing is I've never even tried 'drugs'. I've always been against them, little did I know how easy it is to become dependant on them. One of the positives that have come from my 'dependency' is that I will never judge another human being that has or is addicted to a substance....I guess you never know until you've walked in their shoes. Anyway good luck with your journey and please keep in touch and let me know how you're doing. 

• Posted

Not sure if anyone is still on this forum....but just wanted to post my update, it may help someone in the future.  This is Day 4 without any codiene and I'm pleased to report that I haven't had any really bad WD's.  A little bit of trouble getting to sleep at nights, little bit of diarrhoea (which seems to have subsided today), sneezing a bit....but other than that I feel fine. Unless I have something huge to come, I feel that the tapering has worked a treat. Mentally I feel ok, I have been exercising if I feel a bit low or empty and it's worked! They say 'you're only one workout off a good mood' and it's so true. Anyway I will update in a few days. Hope everyone is well...

• Posted

Hi Samantha. Well done in your achievement I can't seem to get past day four. The wd hit me bad and knowing what it was like the first time I've given up trying. Which means I'm lying still to my family which is the worst part. Looking at your message I realise there is hope for me and help out there if I choose to be honest. I hate who I've become. Well done to you I'm going to take this message as a kick up the back side and start day one again. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Caroline and Samantha, 

Samantha, I’m so pleased that you are coming through the other side. I have been battling addiction for around 6-7 years now and have several unsuccessful attempts at abstaining. The worse one was tramadol, I was heavily addiction for around 2 years and this resulted in an overdose which culminated in a full on seizure. I was living with my parents at the time after I had left my ex partner. The seizure happened at work so my problems became known by my managers and colleagues also. Luckily they were very supportive and with help from my parents I went through cold turkey from the tramadol. It was horrendous, much much worse than WD from codeine because tramadol also acts as an anti depressant so your body and brain is adjusting to that too. I didn’t sleep for a week, I couldn’t sit still, I couldn’t even keep water down. After about 4 days the symptoms began to ease slightly but it was like I had a bad cold that just wouldn’t shift. And I think the boredom was the worst. What people don’t really realise is that once the physical symptoms have subsided you then have the mental symptoms to deal with. No enthusiasm, a feeling of emptiness etc. So I ended up back on the codeine again and again this has spiralled out of control. I’m lying to all the people I love and care about and the guilt is killing me. I tried to drop from the nurofen plus to the over the counter cocodomols but I can’t do it, the drop is just too big so I’m going to have to go to the doctor ans ask for a slower tapering plan (again). I feel like such a failure and such a liar. My boyfriend and I have been together around a year and half and we are the loves of each others lives, I’m terrified of not waking up one morning and him being without me because I know his world would collapse, as would mine if I lost him. I wish I had never seen or heard of tramadol or codeine. In my opinion they should completely ban all over the counter versions of these drugs. They ruin lives. I wonder if ever I’ll be able to live a normal life, and not be in the grip of an addition. That really must be wonderful. I am no better than the people I see outside supermarkets with a cup begging for enough change to get their next fix. The only difference is my addition is legal, and therefore more acceptable. What a world we live in eh? My prayers and thoughts are with anything battling this awful illness xxx 

• Posted

Hi Caroline and thank you for you reply. It is only day 5 for me but so far so good.  If you can try to taper down (it seems to have worked for me)...I will let you know soon enough. I tapered down to 10/500mg and then stopped. I have had some Wd's but very mild.  I would also advise to take a week off work. I am not working at the minute, although, I do have 2 teens to take care of. I wish you all the best and please keep in touch. 

• Posted

Caroline, I just wanted to add....don't beat yourself up about lying to your family. Clearly you are doing it because it is hard to admit to people, I haven't told my family either. You're not a bad person, just a victim of this drug. Please don't feel bad. You can this. 

• Posted

Hi Corina. First of all I think you are amazing for being honest on here, you have admitted to yourself and on this forum. For now, don't beat yourself up and feel guilty for lying to your loved ones.....let's tackle one problem at a time, eh?  I can only speak from my experience....but I am a week free of codiene and my Wd's weren't bad at all. I put this down to the tapering. I cut down very very slowly. So I didn't feel the decrease at all (obviously the buzz isn't there). Then when I jumped from 10/500mg to zero I thought it was going to hit me then- but it didn't. I would have tapered even lower but I ran out of tabs. (I messed up on my maths). I did the taper plan myself. I counted all my tabs, then I decided how much codiene I could have per day. When I did this I had already cut down to 4 tabs a day (4x 30/500mg). So I then dropped to 3 tabs for a week...then to 2 tabs (I did 2 tabs for a month because I didn't want to lose my only buzz). Then I went to 1 tab for a week, and then down to just a piece (10/500mg) for a week. ....I'm not sure if this helps but it did for me.   

I know what you mean about the emptyness etc....but you have to fill that void with something (you have to). I chose exercise because of the 'feel good' hormones that are released. I don't want to exercise (I hate it) haha, but I force myself because after your mood is so good!! I don't go to the gym, I just do Jillian Michaels 30 days shred (30 mins).  And maybe a 5 min YouTube vid if I need a 'pick me up'. Sorry for the long post, but I thought if I put in detail what I did it may help you? 

Like you said- you have got through a tramadol addiction. You can do this!! You've been through worse. You just have to stick to your plan and hang in there, time will pass and each day will get better. I wish you the best and please keep in touch. 

• Posted

Hi Samantha, Caroline and Corina well done all of you wherever you are on your journey. Signing on this forum was one of best things I ever did. It allowed me to open up to the truth of my addiction in a manner I couldn’t do to those closest to me. I also think that the taper program is the best way to get free. I did it with Tramadol and also CoCodamol. I have an addictive personality and things which give me a buzz are the things I need to stay clear of. Especially if they are chemicals! I also found that exercise was a healthy alternative - as long as I can keep it in moderation. Not always easy for someone like me. I just want to say that it is possible to get free of the awful cycle of addiction - it isn’t impossible. It is hard but if you are determined you will do it. Blessings on you all and I hope you all succeed on the road of recovery x JH
    • Posted

Hi Jhenry. And thank you for you reply. I think you're right about the tapering (it seems to have worked for me). I cannot deny I enjoy the 'codiene buzz' but at the same time I don't want it to rule my life! Hope you're well and thank you for your post, it helps to know peoples experiences and stories. 

• Posted

His samantha, how are you? Im sorry for the late reply, i haven’t been too good this past week or so. My use of nurofen + has really irritated my stomach and I’ve been having a lot of pain.  BUT! I have been to see my gp today and have been put on a tapering plan, which I start tomorrow. I’m feeling much more positive today and I am determined to kick this dreadful habit once and for all. I have to have bloods taken on Thursday to check for kidney damage etc, I pray that i haven’t caused any lasting damage. Life is such a precious gift and I just can’t believe the situation I have got into, the sheer amounts of poison I have willingly put into my body! But it’s time to move forward now. Thank you fo your encouraging words, I will think of something I can do to replace the codeine. I used to love to go to the gym but I haven’t been been for so long and I have Gained a lot of weight, perhaps now is the time to pick it up again. I’m so glad you didn’t suffer too much. WDs are truly awful, I really wouldn’t wish it upon anyone! How are you feeling now? I thank god for this forum, though I wouldn’t wish this illness upon anyone it is comforting being able to speak with others who understand. Much love to all, I hope and pray that we can all overcome this horrendous disease xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.