Codeine withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 46 users are following.

So to cut a long story short I have been addicted to codeine for over one year. I knew I had a problem but was unable to reduce my intake so decided enough was enough and decided to go cold turkey. I was taking at least 240mg per day. I am now 10 days since last codeine. I'm not going to lie and say it was easy - it was the worst week of my life but the past couple days have been a lot easier and feel so much better and normal again. My only symptoms I am having now is diarrheoa - I have had diarrheoa at least once a day for 10 days and have lost quite a bit weight. How long does the diarrheoa last?! I have bought Imodium but don't want to start messing about with them but feel I might need to. Another problem I am having is sleep - falling asleep okay at nights but wakening up in the middle of the night and struggling to get back to sleep. I have started taking vitamins to start look after myself a bit better and hopefully help with this but any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

4 likes, 476 replies

476 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi guys I started using codeine 11 years ago due to having a baby and the doctors damaged my pelvis pretty bad giving birth, and I got pregnant in 2015 and seemed to be able to give up the codeine for the time I was pregnant but as soon as I gave birth I was straight back on it. I took even more then and since Im in Australia our government have just made a law that you have to have a prescription to actually buy the drug now so Ive had to stop ( not that I had to I wanted to) I haven't had the drug in I think a bit over a week and even though Im starting to feel a little better Im still getting headaches and feel tired all the damn time and the same as someone else in this forum when I go to sleep at night I wake up early hours of the morning and find it soo hard to go back to sleep. I will never take this drug again as long as I live these withdrawals are soooo bad I feel like death. My heart races and these headaches arrgghhhh its horrible. How much longer will I feel like this even tho everyday I feel as if Im getting a bit better Im just miserable right now sad

• Posted

Hi aurora50929 

Withdrawals usually last 7 to 10 days. This is different for everyone though. Ur heart racing is very normal part of withdrawals. I suggest u get a full blood test and make sure all your levels are normal. Iron deficiency is very common in people taking Codeine especially women. Also potassium and magnesium might be depleted. Make sure you take some of these supplements to help you with your withdrawals.  As for sleep well, that can take up to 3 months for you to get back to normal. If you wake up don’t force urself to go back to sleep, get a cup of sleepy tea and get out of bed. It gets u more anxious if u try and force urself to sleep. Take lots of showers and baths and do some simple excercises. Well done for getting this far 

• Posted

Hi Aurora, I’m in Australia too. The first week is by far the worst physically. I still had symptoms fairly significantly in the second week and I’m into the third week now and still have some minor symptoms. I could tell myself that everyday was one day further out of this withdrawal and I could tolerate it. The hard thing I think now is the psychological withdrawals. I believe they will persist for a lot longer. I look to the change in the sale of codeine as a relief now because it protects me from myself!
    • Posted

Thanks sooo much Jeanette I feel a little better knowing this I knew I just had to stop otherwise I think my 6 kids would be without a mum before too long I just keep thinking of them every time I think is it worth the withdrawls and YES it definitely is worth every ache and pain and uncomfortable feeling I’m having if it means I get to spend longer on this earth with my children and watch them grow old not to mention my husband he is absolutely devoted to me and our children 100%  and I just know if something really bad happened he just would not handle things and I think he would die of a broken heart I just want to be happy and healthy from now on I don’t want this addiction taking over my life like it is. That’s why I’m 100% dedicated to getting rid of it all together. Thanks for your kind words I feel sooo guilty for letting myself get to this point to begin with.
    • Posted

Thanks to you too Fiona I’m really glad our government has put this in place also to stop us hurting ourselves it’s silly it got this far. I wish I knew what I was getting into before I even took it. I can’t even function properly anymore I even find it hard to do house work or cook for the kids. I’m sooo lucky I have a fantastic 18 year old daughter at home helping me cause with hubby away for work it gets really hard but I know I can do this I mean hell I had 6 kids with absolutely no pain relief I can do this too! I WILL DO THIS , I AM DOING THIS :-) 
    • Posted

Hi Aurora, you are on the right path. It's so hard for us to understand that when we are feeling rough it's because we are getting better. We are getting better because our body is eliminating the drug and adjusting back and that isn't always physically comfortable. Things will get better. You can do this. 🙂🙂 x

• Posted

Hi there does any 1 have a list of stuff to buy fivefold wuiting for good and start the withdrawal process 

I commented a few months ago saying I’ve had enough but I’m assuming my will power just wasn’t good at all today my doctor cancelled my prescription for any codein and said he won’t give me any more so I’ve been buying the 8/500 co codamol and instead of taking the 5/8 codein ine taking 13-15 co codamol in one hit twice or even 3 times a day I took my first dose this morning and it just made me feel really down I feel really emotional and down my partner dosnt know the extent to my addiction sh thinks I’m take 6 twice a day and is really worried last week I had a blood test and they confirmed that all my organs are ok after 6/8 years of abusing them 

This is really starting to get me down I tried a couple months ago and lasted a day I felt the worst I’d ever felt toilet ever 15 mins sickness every hour the restless leg was hell 

I just wanted to know if I could write down a list of non addiction drugs like the magnesium 

Lemsip and is there any thing a doctor can prescribe to help with this process like sleeping Rostand the other stuff that hits u on ur process I did a day and k ow it gets much worse the thing that bugging me the must I’m the only person working in my house hold me and my partner have 2 little girls she struggles with them the last thing sh needs is me slouching about all day with know help as when I’m home from a 13 hour shift I do all the chores in the house the bills need to be paid and I can’t afford time of work this is what bothers me as I’m not going to won’t to go to work but the bills need paying please some 1 help I’m going through hell here 

• Posted

Hi James, I understand how desperate you feel. Codeine is now controlling your life and you are making risky decisions regarding your health.  Thankfully your blood tests haven’t shown any organ damage yet. I was in the same position as you although not consuming quite that much paracetamol (but more codeine) and I kept it from my family for years. Eventually I realised that I was under the control of codeine and I was powerless to stop the compulsion to take more and more. I dreaded the day that the drug would do me serious harm because I knew that was what I was staring down the barrel at. I felt for me that the only way to stop was Cold Turkey as I just couldn’t cut down. It was horrendous. I had many withdrawal symptoms but the worst  was that I vomited every 20 mins for 60hours until I ended up in hospital. I  was told that stopping CT is not a good idea but I reallly had no choice. I was prescribed diazepam, and given meds to help with stomache cramps, nausea and diarrhoea. None of them helped much to be honest. I would advise you to reach out for  help from a sympathetic GP and taper off if at all possible, to avoid the terrible sickness, and  start seeing a counsellor to deal with the psychological withdrawal. I finally felt relief to tell my family and not have to live with the big secret anymore. I understand that you can’t afford not to work now but please consider that the rate you are going with the codeine you will be unable to work at some stage down the track anyway. I know it is scary to think about being sick but I got some sense of relief in that I was freeing my body from the clutches of the drug. Still I was under par for about a month. It now been about 7 weeks I think and physically I’m fine but sometimes I have really strong psychological cravings. Thank God I went and got myself banned from having codeine at drs surgeries bwcause the cravings are really strong. Anyway, I hope you are able to withdraw James without too much discomfort and gain control back of your life! It is possible, I am living proof, but it’s not easy. Good luck xx
    • Posted

Hi James, my heart goes out to you. Now, everything Fiona has written is correct in my view. The best option is to taper off with the assistance of a sympathetic doctor. Be honest and ask for help. Diazepam for anxiety and zopiclone for sleeping helped a little. Magnesium good for restless legs. However your body is eliminating the poison you have been feeding yourself and there is an inevitable downside both physically and mentally. However it can be done. Remember that the bad symptoms are signs that your body is getting better. I'm on day 35 now and physically ok. It's the psychological addiction which I need whatchout for. I need remember that no matter what problems I have or think I have codein will only make it worse. You can do this but try to get some medical help. Do read through this complete forum. I found that a great help to realise that I am not alone and that there is a solution but maybe, above all else find a sympathetic doctor and be honest. I wish you every success with your recovery. If you really want to be free of this you can be. Good luck Mate. 

• Posted

Hi all,

I felt compelled to join and respond to this conversation. I was diagnosed with IBS over two years ago now and after trying many different medications I was eventually put on codeine phosphate 30mgs four tablets a day. I have been on the codeine for 12 months now and admittedly I sometimes take 6 tablets a day. In a recent holiday I had misplaced my codeine and decided that as we were only away for a few days I would be ok, however, by day 3 I had found myself on this forum and experiencing the wort symptoms I have ever felt, severe loose bowel movements, light geaded, dizzy hot and cold sweats and restless legs like you wouldn't believe. The short and is that I ended up going to a doctors while away to get more tablets, I realised then that I had a problem. I am just about to start all over again as I have now thrown the codeine away and want nothing to do with it ever again, I want my life back!. I am terrified to go through all this again but I have booked two weeks off work and I am going to beat this. I wrote this because I was so inspired by all of your posts. I can't comment to coming out the other side yet because I having but I will update when I do. Thanks again and good luck to all those in this horrendous situation, you are not alone.

• Posted

Hi raiderstorey

It will be the worst 2 weeks of your life but you can do it if you have made up your mind. The symptoms peak at day 3, 4 and 5, well for me anyways. Everyone is different. I honestly wanted to die. I know, sounds extreme but I really felt like that.  I took a lot of warm showers, baths with magnesium to relax my restless legs. Make sure you take magnesium, eat bananas for potassium and get gastro stop it really helps with the withdrawals. Sleeping will be a nightmare as well. I went to the doctors to get sleeping tablets. Once you’re through with physical withdrawals you need to be prepared for the mental addiction. That’s been a killer for me, I really find it worse than the physical dependence. Good luck and keep us updated. 

• Posted

Well I’ve been on codeine for around 18 months. It started with having agonising toothache and then lower back pain. My father inadvertently got me hooked as he had a supply of 30/500,s which in the beginning worked to ease the pain. After a few weeks I was making excuses why I needed them and eventually my dad gave me the whole box (around 60 30/500,s) once they ran out I went to my GP and told them about my back pain and showed him a box of nurofen plus,he prescribed me 100 30/500,s. I had these on repeat twice then they stopped. By this point I was enjoying the high so needed to get some more so I went online and managed to get 30mg codeine phosphate (no paracetemol) these were brilliant but highly addictive without the worry of para overdose. I needed 3-4 30mg every 3-4 hours. This has continued for the last 8-9 months, the problem I had was social anxiety and with these I was fine confident and at ease. I stopped cold turkey 7 days ago after taking 5 nurofen plus and having severe stomach cramps. When I ran out of codeine I would top up with nurofens between 4–10 in one dose,it plays havock with your stomach Ibrupofen is not safe! Anyway it’s day 7 clean and my legs still ache and I generally feel anxious and rubbish but I’m hanging in there! One other thing to people who drive codeine converts into morphine so If you don’t have a prescription (medical defence) and your on high dose you will be done for drug driving.codeine is in the list for drug driving.
  • Posted

Well I’ve been on codeine for around 18 months. It started with having agonising toothache and then lower back pain. My father inadvertently got me hooked as he had a supply of 30/500,s which in the beginning worked to ease the pain. After a few weeks I was making excuses why I needed them and eventually my dad gave me the whole box (around 60 30/500,s) once they ran out I went to my GP and told them about my back pain and showed him a box of nurofen plus,he prescribed me 100 30/500,s. I had these on repeat twice then they stopped. By this point I was enjoying the high so needed to get some more so I went online and managed to get 30mg codeine phosphate (no paracetemol) these were brilliant but highly addictive without the worry of para overdose. I needed 3-4 30mg every 3-4 hours. This has continued for the last 8-9 months, the problem I had was social anxiety and with these I was fine confident and at ease. I stopped cold turkey 7 days ago after taking 5 nurofen plus and having severe stomach cramps. When I ran out of codeine I would top up with nurofens between 4–10 in one dose,it plays havock with your stomach Ibrupofen is not safe! Anyway it’s day 7 clean and my legs still ache and I generally feel anxious and rubbish but I’m hanging in there! One other thing to people who drive codeine converts into morphine so If you don’t have a prescription (medical defence) and your on high dose you will be done for drug driving.codeine is in the list for drug driving.
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I’m sure a lot of you have all left this group and hopefully on the road to recovery?! 

I can’t tell you how appalled I am with the lack of information given to patients when they first start taking codeine. 

I was clean of it a year a go but so easy to get stuck back in a rut! I am now preparing to go off this drug once and for all and I have been reading you messaging which have all be so encouraging! 

I am trying to work with a production company and charities to make more awareness of  this ‘secret adddition’ 

I was Also going to bravely do a day to video diary of me coming of codeine. I’ve been on it for years and at a high dosage. One for myself, to get me to get off  but mainly make awareness to other people of the horrible side to it.... does any once think this is good idea and if I could get a documentary done, would anyone else be willing to tell their stories? Even if just by voice? 

I’m dreading the next week and epscially with a child...wish me luck! And well done everyone 

• Posted

I’m 4 days into another ‘cold turkey’ attempt. Been using codeine for about 10 years. Had a burst eardrum way back and was prescribed Co-codamol 30/500’s. Since then it’s been a nightmare, purchasing the usual suspects Solpadeine , Nurofen , etc and even using a family members script. Horrendous.  

Tapering has never worked for me.

Recently began purchasing online which was my cue to having another attempt at quitting.

Longest I’ve lasted has been 25 days but have always slipped up.

Hoping this is the one.... (first time using a forum as well 😉wink.

My main Withdrawal Symptoms tend to be migraine type headaches, diarrhoea ,restless legs and insomnia.... So difficult to get though.

But here’s hoping.....

• Posted

Hi Rob,congratulations you are doing really well. The withdrawal symptoms are s**t. However, they will pass in time. You and I were a long time addicted and you can't avoid the consequences of your body needing to adjust to an opiate free state. Read through the posts and you will get a lot information. My suggestion is to go to your doctor and tell them what is going on and ask for help with some medication.  Zopiclone for sleeping, Diazipan for anxiety. If you can get some for the short term it will help. OTC Magnesium will help with RLS. I wish you every success. If you really want to do this you can. You are on your way to the life you left behind 10 years ago. Hang in there. 

• Posted

Thanks, 5 days in and to be honest last night I only woke twice. Couple of days off work now so hopefully can keep it going. 

I seem to feel much better in the mornings and then as the day progressses I feel worse.

Hoping feel better a little longer each day.  Still have a goal of one month off Codeine though, have never managed it , I’m intending this to be the attempt that succeeds.

• Posted

So hard to kick it after years mate, I managed months off a few times over the years but just one bad day can set you back to square one as I found out. The first time I legit took them for an abscess and within 4 days was back to full CT when I tried to stop after dentist visit.

After spending the best part of 20 years on these I feel I've got it figured out in my own mind now, once you get past the symptoms you spend everyday after that like a recovered alcoholic and have to choose to stay clean on a day to day basis.

Never give up giving up mate, I will be clean by this time next week and will report back, hopefully we can both be able to post this time next month of still making progress to a life free of this evil over the counter poison.  James

• Posted

Totally agree, hopefully we can post with one month behind us. Cheers.
    • Posted

Hi Rob, I'm on day 62 clean myself. The first few weeks are not easy but if you are as determined as I was to stop, after so many years, and so many attempts, then you will find the strength necessary. The first couple of weeks are about the physical and psychological aspects and then the psychological desire becomes predominant. However that too will diminish. I try to take it a day at a time. I also try to remember how enslaved I was to the drug. In that way I find the strength to aim for another day clean. Good luck to you. You can do this. 

• Posted

Hoping I’ve got it licked.... the withdrawals are horrendous but I’m struggling through...  One day at at time eh ...? 😀

• Posted

Hows it going rob ?

Hopefully the major physical symptoms are gone now and you feel much better.

I'm down to 60mg now, two more pills to go and feeling better for longer as I taper which is bizarre.

• Posted

Hi Jim,

The major WD’s appear to be fading, I’m still getting a headache about halfway through each day. Sleeping a full night is an issue at the moment, it was 2.30am before I could get over last night, that was with sleeping tabs. 

Definitely improving though. One thing I’m experiencing more with this attempt is I’m feeling very emotional over everything and slightly depressed.

Putting this down to my brain trying to straighten itself out.

Anyways into day 9 and what that brings....

Cheers.

• Posted

Totally know where you are coming from with the emotional side mate, does the same to me every time. I'm in bits every morning when I get up all ready. I think it's a normal thing just because the drug makes you almost immune to feeling these emotions, I just let it out as it makes you feel better and in my opinion helps prevent the depression growing.

Anyway, made up you're still on the road to recovery, one day at a time mate. James

• Posted

Cheers, 

Getting there , one day at at time....  

Speak soon. 

Rob 

• Posted

Hey Rob mate, still on the wagon so to speak? Over a fortnight now if you're keeping on.

Sitting here stuck at 30mg per day, (half a tab morning and afternoon) waiting for Thursday which will be the big day. Got all the basic stuff sorted to make it as easy as I can on myself, using the bank holiday weekend to kick it out.

All the best.  Jim

• Posted

Best of luck to you Jim. Personally I might suggest even going a few days on 15mg and then a few days on 8 mg. It won't do any harm and may help to mitigate more withdrawal symptoms. Whatever you decide to do I offer my very best wishes for you and keep reminding yourself that it is possible to get clean. Feel free to let me know how you get on. I'm on day 73 and still keeping count. JH

• Posted

Hi I’m Day 3 today and struggling so bad. I have not slept and the jumping restless legs are the worst feeling. Just need to get up and move about but have no energy. Can’t eat and pushing myself to drink. Please tell me this gets better? I’m off work to do this and need to get through it for my family.
    • Posted

Hi Pamela, you can do this! Most people seem to be over the most intensity of withdrawal within 5 days, often peaking at Day 3 - 4 (depending how long you have been taking codeine). IF you think in terms of surviving another 24-48 hours it might be easier to imagine.. I would recommend a good 5 - 7 days off work, as if you had had the flu.  I personally found withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, sweating, diarrhoea, restless legs hung around for a few weeks but with decreasing intensity. (Nowhere near those first few days!). There were days I felt the symptoms worse than others but it was a progressive improvement over time.  I’ve been off codeine for 3months now (you can read my posts earlier in this thread). I had a long standing addiction (10 years use plus 5 years of addiction) so it was a good couple of months until I felt completely normal. I have however continued to struggle with psychological cravings. I don’t know when these will go away! If I had access to codeine at times I would have taken it, despite what I’ve been through. Crazy I know. But it is worth it to go through what you are experiencing now to be free from the physical addiction of this drug! Life is much easier not to constantly worry about codeine. Good luck, hang in there!!
    • Posted

Hi Jim. if you are down to one 30mg tablet per day now and not experiencing withdrawals too badly then I imagine it won’t be too drastic for you. Your body has already acclimatised to living on just a small amount of codeine so I hope for your sake that the leap to being codeine-free is not a big one. And if it does feel bad, remember that it is a few days out of your life for a way better future. Good luck xx
    • Posted

Hi Fiona and all survivors out there. I was clean of coidiene for nearly four weeks and have now relapsed back to taken them daily. I'm lying to family and friends whom were there when I told them I needed help now I don't trust myself. And I swore I couldn't and wouldn't go through the withdrawals ever again. Where is everyone from in this group I feel I need to attend some sort of meetings would love to meet up if anyone close enough I'm in dublin Ireland x x help needed

• Posted

Hi Pamela.

I can only speak of my own experience and I have to say that magnesium supplements really helped with the restless legs. I no it doesn’t feel like it now but it does get better as the days go on.  Try to make smoothies they helped me with my because my intake of food was terrible for the first three days. I would advise seeing your GP because once you are over the physical side of things, mentally you may find it a struggle. I have been nearly one month clear of codeine now but I am on an anti depressant to help with the emotional problems following the withdrawal. Hope this helps 

• Posted

Thank you so much Fiona for replying. I have been on these 3 years and was taking 10 each day which I know myself was not as many as most people. The doctor has told me due to the length of time I’ve taken them that’s why it will be harder. The worst was having to admit my problem to my husband and Mum and there was never the right time to tell them. Within the space of 10 days I went from 10 to 8 to 6 to 4 then 2 and Monday was 0. My mum came over to stay with me has I was sick as a dog and so anxious and panicking and of course diarrhoea was terrible. Can’t believe tomorrow will be day 4. My legs have been the worst and I’ve had no sleep since Saturday. The doctor has signed me off for two weeks which I will totally need. Reading these diaries have totally helped. Still can’t each much but I need eat better today. I think if I could sleep then it would help with during the day as just now I have no energy at all. My mum and husband keep telling me to push through it but it so hard. I am constantly crying but when my kids are in I try so hard to be normal. My mum is back over tomorrow so I know this will help as we are going swimming. I know I will never want to go through this again and waiting on blood results coming back. It’s hard I know that and I just keep telling myself I can do it and should be proud of myself. I guess people who haven’t been in this situation don’t get it and it’s hard to explain to them. Onwards and upwards now. The hot water bottles which someone had said about have really helped. Thank you for sharing with me you don’t know how much it has helped x
    • Posted

Aww Caroline so to hear that. My worst thing was keeping it a secret from everyone and when I told my husband and Mum they said that explains a lot lol. Try and stop honestly, the worst thing is lying to the people you love get help. I’m from Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. It’s weird as i was on these for 3 years and during this I have never had any illness or even a cold and now the past 3 days I have been violently sick and still have terrible diarrhoea. Get help and get off them. I know I will never go back on them after what I’ve went through these past few days xx

• Posted

Thank you for replying. My legs are unbelievable but tonight I have water bottles on them which I helping. It’s the lack of sleep I can’t cope with as just get so angry. Hopefully tonight I will get better one. Went to GP on Monday and she has given me two tablets in morning and stronger one at night for anxiety but I don’t think they working. I’m back to see Gp next week and will be going on beater blockers which will help me going forward. I’m feeling better tonight and hopefully I can see the light at the end of the tunnel x
    • Posted

Cheers for the kind words JH.

My mother in law is back in hospital with a flare up of cellulitis again so this weekends plans are off now, will have to take family into see her.

I will do as you suggest just to keep moving forward and cut the dose down again.

Guess I will have to book a couple of days off work once the old war horse is better after missing the bank holiday, even though today was meant to be d-day and I now can't my mind is still strong to push forwards.  Jim

• Posted

Thanks Fiona, I've went through the full range of symptoms over the last 4 weeks tapering, seemed to even out after 3 days after a cut in codeine every time. While I'm expecting the worst still after almost 10 years non stop I may well get lucky.

I've done this a few times over the years, once over I never vomited at all but over time that has became the worst thing around the 36 hour mark, everything crossed that tapering instead of CT will stop it happening this time.

I've managed to get my brother to come up and sort the lifts out to hospital for family, so my final journey has begun, last dose of 15mg at 4am UK this morning. 

Thanks again Jim

• Posted

Best of luck Jim. Our determination to succeed no matter what will often see us through. Personally I found tapering down slowly was very effective in eliminating the drug from my body. If your last dose is 15 mg and you go ct you might be good to go - only time will tell. However, you will still have symptoms and at some point a desire to use but you don't have to. The symptoms will pass. You just have to give time time. Best wishes and keep on posting. Everyone will be rooting for you to succeed. JH

• Posted

Good luck Jim! You must be really ready now after 4 weeks of tapering. Surely the WDs  can’t be any worse than what you have gone through while cutting down. You sound like you are really prepared and like I was ready to say goodbye to 10 years of addiction.  You can do it!!!
    • Posted

Sorry I meant 18 years instead of 10
    • Posted

Best wishes to you too Pamela. You can do this. I always remembered that the crap I was suffering was actually my body telling me it was recovering. Hang in there and remind yourself that once this is over you need never return. You are not alone. JH
    • Posted

Day 4 nearly over and my goodness I feel better today. Legs ok but really tired. I’m so looking forward to getting my life back for my kids and husband. Thank you for your kind words. You people have really helped me x
    • Posted

Hi JH & Fiona, a day in and going ok. Runs and flu symptoms but all in all not bad at all. Still eating (jacobs crackers hehe) and downing loads of water. Taking magnesium so can't say for sure how bad my legs are, just aching as it stands, no twitches.

Got some l-tyrosine lined up for when it starts to kick out so to speak, will report back in the next day.

Not looking forward to bed time, but so far no problem. I'm fired up to get clean, watching Rocky films "No Pain".

Jim

• Posted

Good man Jim, it can be done. You have things prepared ready. Sometimes the problem is that we think it's going to be difficult and so it is!  Try to distract yourself with as much diversion away from yourself and it will be easier. You can do this. Best wishes. JH

• Posted

Reading this is so amazing and gives us all abit of hope best wishes!💓

• Posted

Hi Jim, So glad to hear your day yesterday wasn’t so bad. I believe that you can make it through the next few days which may not be as bad as you were expecting because of your long taper. You sound really determined and strong to see this through.  As for me, 3 months in and my psychological cravings are so strong! There is nothing upsetting in my life causing me to need to numb myself. I just wonder if the longing for the drug ever goes away??
    • Posted

Hi Fiona, well I'm still going strong @7am Saturday morning.

Not long after I posted yesterday I started to feel sick which got me a bit worked up tbh, kept it down till about 8 last night then boom. Was sick 5 times in 30 mins but the great thing this time it stopped and let my be. I've had broken sleep from 9pm until 6 this morning without and pills.

I'm thirsty and hungry this morning, have a horrid head ache but if I'm truthful I feel about 80% right. Just got to hope I don't go downhill fast since I'm only 2 days in but the month taper from 900+mg to 30 seems to have helped so much.

I've managed a few months off like yourself and sadly have no answer to the cravings, the mental side is where most of us fall down.

Guess we just have to keep saying no 1 day at a time forever ?

• Posted

Well done Jim! That’s great that you feel 80% okay, I hope the next couple of days are not too bad. I’m sure tapering is the sensible way to go but I could never do it, just cutting down for a day or two would make me increase my dosage even more. So I went CT on 600mgs and I must have vomited 100 times. I went to hospital and they said I should not have gone CT but at the time I felt so sick I thought that I would surely NEVER want codeine again. And I didn’t for about a month and now I’m ashamed to say if I had access to any I would take some. I can’t believe how strong the desire is, I guess I will just have to look at it as not taking any for one day at a time like you said. Good luck for the next few days x
    • Posted

Yeah, know that feeling very well, it's absurd who strong the desire for just one more dose is even after getting clean, evil stuff is codeine. I've even stopped with 16 pills left this time and left them on full display on my desk. Me v's codeine, I just don't want the hassle of wasting so much time and money sourcing the stuff, if I'm honest 1000mg a day just kept me WD free for years, no warm happy feeling for a long time.

Hang in Fiona, I'm sure everyone must turn the corner at some point.

• Posted

Hi Jim, so you have given up for months at a time and then gone back to it? I dread that happening but I can see how easily it could. That’s amazing willpower to still have some codeine on view, I couldn’t do it. Although when I gave up smoking I still kept half a packet just to prove to myself that I was choosing not to smoke them. I guess I was just ready to be free of the addiction. I never got psychological cravings for nicotine months later like I do with codeine though. I hope you are feeling ok today. Thanks for your replies x
    • Posted

Morning Fiona, sadly over the last 18 years I've went CT 3 times and lasted about 16 weeks clean every time.

The thing is I "tried" stopping for my wife and kids, this time I'm stopping for me.

Hope that doesn't come across wrong, but with codeine you have to choose not to take it everyday.

As long as we (UK) can go and buy it OTC I struggle to see how most people stuck in the hole can escape sadly.

OK, the good news.

72 hours gone and other than still having the runs I'm symptom free, tapering has worked a charm for me. Not even on edge and I slept for 8 hours straight through last night (no meds again)

I've got lucky I think but I've won this battle and have no desire to take it again, I'm looking at the strips of pills now and it turns my stomach.

Anyone reading this, if you want out for real it can be done at home over about month, requires lots of will power but you will need that to stay clean long term.

Lots of love to everyone who's read and commented on my journey in here, never give up giving up people.

Jim.

• Posted

That’s great news Jim, I’m now on day 7 and feel so much better. I’m anemic so on iron tablets for 3 months and back to doctors on Wednesday as something wrong with my thyroid but will need to wait and see the GP again. Apart from having not much energy and having the force myself to move I feel better and will never put myself in that place again. Still got the runs but at least I’m going to toilet now lol. I also must sneeze about a thousand times a day but hoping that will stop soon. Onwards and upwards for us all x
    • Posted

Hi Jim and all on the path - congratulations all. I would also like to say that if you have any pills around to throw them away. I know that in my case there have been times when I was withdrawing that if I could have taken some well maybe my resolve might have slipped. Addiction is very cunning and powerful it will always tell you one more time is no problem. However we wouldn’t be here on this forum if that were true. Good luck to everyone trying to get clean or stay clean. JH
    • Posted

I agree with you JHenry about throwing away any pills in case of a weak moment., although I guess in your country you could just walk into a chemist and buy some codeine anyway if you felt the compulsion to do so. I know I would have failed if I had that access. I’m inspired by you all in the UK, you have amazing strength and willpower. It shocks me how my mind believes that it wants and could safely take this drug again. After everything I’ve been through! I’ve read that opioid addiction changes receptors in your brain that can only be satisfied with the drug. The brain changes again as it adapts to life without the drug but I don’t know how long it takes!! Trying to hang in there 
    • Posted

Hi Fiona you have been an inspiration to me with your recovery just a few weeks ahead of me. I understand the craving but it will pass. As I understand We have fed the dopamine neurotransmitters for years and now our brains are slowly recovering - but it takes time. However, you are doing so well. Just keep reminding yourself how sick you were! You know you don’t want that back again! Very best wishes for your continued recovery JH x
    • Posted

Hi JH, Fiona & Pamela. I did get rid of the pill on Sunday night as it happens, just kept them at the start to prove a point to myself.

Started taking Imodium yesterday along with l-tyrosine and still on the magnesium and multi vitamin.

Diarrhoea free as it stands and feeling half decent. Even managed to head out to the coast for a few hours yesterday but did feel a bit weak with the heat yesterday (English people and the weather eh?)

Only problem now other than sneezing like mad in bursts is I struggled to sleep last night, 2 hours of sleep as I felt ready to run a marathon.

Appetite and eating 100% normal now and even after 2 hours sleep I'm up and raring to go today, think I'll take the family down the park for a bbq later and a bit cricket.

Thanks again for all the support, I will continue to frequent this forum for a good while yet, anyone in need of a bit support don't be shy of coming forward, this place is a godsend.  Jim

• Posted

Sounds great Jim. I found that I had lots of energy and mood swings in the first few weeks but could have been just me. Sleep may be a problem for a while and I ended up with zopiclone from doctor which helped a lot. Enjoy the sunshine and best wishes for your continued recovery. JH
    • Posted

Hi Jim, that’s great that you are feeling so well. I remember feeling really energetic after a few weeks but that has settled back to normal. I remember the early feelings of relief of not being a slave to the physical withdrawal symptoms that I had everyday. Enjoy the sunshine. We are only 3 weeks off winter here in Australia and our weather has been in the low 20 degrees Celsius. That’s probably the same as your summer! Continued success x
    • Posted

How are things going Jim? First week can be surprisingly difficult. Hang in there mate. JH
    • Posted

Hi JH mate, 7 days gone as you say and still going fine.

Tuesday, my first day back in normal work routine was strange, I had became grumpy towards everyone over the years, to have people asking what I was on was canny funny.

I'm taking 1 Imodium on a morning and one after lunch and getting through the day ok toilet wise, still taking my combo of l-tyrosine and other vitamins and basically 100% right now other than sleeping.

No problem with cravings atm, I'm putting that down to the fact I was sick of taking it and hate codeine now but time will tell.

Thanks for the support JH.     Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim, Great to hear everything going so well. Be prepared for bumps in the road because that’s part of the journey. No matter what keep posting on progress. Wishing you, and all on the journey best wishes. JH
    • Posted

Hi JH, 2 weeks gone now and still on the road to a normal life.

Still not 100% right stomach wise and sleep pattern has ended up way out of line ( going to bed between 6 - 8 pm) but managing 6 hours sleep now.

Still no mental cravings for the pills, really feel I've escaped this time to be honest.  Jim

• Posted

Great news Jim. Keep it going. I'm the same. No cravings for the Codeine but stomach still not brilliant. Only went to loo twice yesterday and things were looking up then had 2 bad bouts in a couple of hrs before bed. I'm worried I've done my stomach damage but seeing some comments on here this is part of withdrawal?

• Posted

Hi Tull and Jim, congratulations on your efforts. I’m pleased to say that today is day 90 for me. My stomach took a long time to settle and also sleep pattern. I still have energy problems. The good news is that things do settle eventually. I keep counting days because it serves to remind me of my progress but also of the insanity of my addiction  of many, many years. I still have some health consequences of those years and don’t consider myself cured but it is a privilege and a wonder to be free of the obsession to keep taking those awful pills. Best wishes to you both and everyone else on the recovery road. JH
    • Posted

Wow really is amazing to read through some truly inspirational comments from you guys who have managed to stick at your recovery I wish I could taper off but I just can’t trust myself to do so I’m on week 3 of bupernorphine it really is an amazing medication for cutting the cravings and almost altering your mindset a little bit it’s not idea as it’s just substituting for the codeine but at the dose I was taking like 64 tablets of nurofen plus a day I’m sure anything is better than that apparently it’s even harder to come off bupernorphine so I have that bridge to cross when it comes to it I’ve wanted to write out this message for a while but I always go to do so and delete it because I’m worried what I might find out. So does/did anyone here take nurofen plus ibuprofen and codeine not co codamol paracetamol and codeine I’ve been taking the nurofen for over 2 years now and I never do the CWE because I can’t stand the taste so I’ve been taking that many tablets with ibuprofen in for 2 years starting to get the worst stomach ache and cramps but I’m petrified to go to the hospital for my scan I’ve had blood tests to check for liver failure but they were clear having a lot of weight loss toowould love to talk to someone who is long or has gone through this too it kills me because I’m a 20 year old girl 20! My life has t even started yet and I’m trapped in a codeine drug addict bubble I have an amazing family friends and have nothing to be unhappy about but I just wish I knew why it’s caused me to become this addicted.

Anyway TIA

everyone in the road to recovery and anyone else that has recovered well done you really are brilliant as we all know ho hard it is 

One last thing cold turkey isn’t an option for me either as I’m a HCA and work shifts so I don’t have the time to be off work 

Thanks again

Marnie x

• Posted

Hi Marnie, Nurofen plus is probably the most abused form of codeine out there, so you are far from alone. I can't tell you the ibuprofen hasn't done damage as we are all different but I can tell you that stomach pains are a very common side effect of buprenorphine.

Short term as long as you arent vomiting anything blood like, same from other end I would try to just ride it out a while, you can also make yourself feel ill with stress which is very important to remember.

If you honestly think you have done damage just go and see a GP now, what's done is done and you will need to be more carefull in the future with what you eat / drink and take if the worst comes to the worst.

Good luck on your recovery, like many of us on here don't wait 10 - 20 years to get off this poison, go for it now and enjoy your future.  Jim

• Posted

Hi Marie. Good to hear from you on here and congrats on reaching the first step of recovery. Admitting you have an addiction..... I always knew I was addicted for years to co-codamol dispersibles but could never actually see what it was doing to me. Mood swings were my worst after getting home from work. I would be so angry and frustrated and usually shouted at the kids or wife. My wife used to think I had fallen out of love with her. Have you admitted to any of your family about your addiction? I never did and my poor wife and kids have been burdened with worry and panic as I've went through withdrawal and they have thought all sorts without knowing the truth. Did t even tell the docs and thank God all my blood tests and stool samples were clear but all they put it down was a severe case of gastroenteritis. 15 days drug free and finally I think my stomach is beginning to settle. It was the worst diarrhoea I have ever had. I am know way tempted to go back to the hateful co-codamol but I know I will be tested in the future. I just need to remember the withdrawal. I wholly recommend you discuss with your family and or GP as the support would make things easier. I only wish I had told someone close to me especially my wife and maybe some day down the line when I'm all better I'll open up to her. Take care and I hope you can withdraw soon. My minds clear and my spirit feels refreshened. 2 weeks of pain and upset is nothing to how you feel after full withdrawal.

• Posted

Hi Marnie, you know you have a problem and you want to resolve it to get your life back on track - so you have already started your journey. I also wondered why I became an addict. The answer is “ why not”. Some of us have a predisposition to abuse those things which change the way we feel. I really get your pain and can only say nothing is impossible. If you really want to get free of your addiction you can. I would definitely talk to a medical professional, be honest, and ask for help. Keep posting on this forum and you will also get much support. I wish you all the best and never give up. You can do this. JH x
    • Posted

Hi JH and everyone in here, 3 weeks down now. The last week has been an odd one, started the week "all better" but since Wednesday I've had a lot of symptoms return. Still doing fine with the mental side, no desire to take anymore pills but it has been a bit of a kick to feel so flat and have the aches, runny nose and runs back.

Just hanging in one day at a time again for now, have moved my target to next Friday to feel better now.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this sort of thing hit them after weeks or if I should go to the doctors in case of some other medical problem.

• Posted

Hi Jim,  Firstly brilliant news that you have got to 3 weeks.  Keep remembering that is 21 days free.  Im almost on 28 days now and feeling great although i had my first ache for Codeine today.  Just felt i needed that little kick but remembering the diarrhoea put me straight off it.

I have been feeling great apart from getting anxious when im tired.  This seems to be the only side affect left.  I get really on edge but when i goto bed i sleep till 4am and then wake up but get back to sleep shortly after.

As for the runs, i would maybe get that checked out especially after it left you and has returned.  Did you introduce too much food back into your diet too quickly.  Im still eating mostly plain or bland food until im sure im fully withdrawn.

Keep us posted and i hope your recovery continues

• Posted

Hi Jim, congratulations  on your 3 week’s so far - but from my experience symptoms come and go for the first couple of months. Anxiety, insomnia and stomach problems did all come and go during my first couple of months but generally my journey is in the right direction. I would wait and see if problems continue or change for better. A visit to a doctor may not be necessary. Best wishes for continued recovery JH
    • Posted

Hi Jane, on day 15 still no desire to take the dreaded tablets but still suffering with awful nausea. Just manage dry toast and the odd cracker. Any idea on how long nausea lasts for

• Posted

Hi Dawn, it’s early days and you have done so well. Now it’s really important that you stay on track. All the symptoms you are struggling with are almost certainly a result of your body coming to terms with the absence of the drug you have been using up till recently. You are healing even if you feel rough. You have to give it time but you will start to feel a little better soon I am sure. I’m glad you don’t feel like taking a tablet because that would certainly take you back to where you left off. Hang in there it will get better. Well done for the 15 days.  JH
    • Posted

The nausea could last at least a couple more weeks in my experience
    • Posted

Hi JH, strangely my stomach/ nausea seems a bit more settled today. Thanks for all your encouragement throughout! Doc has put me on antidepressants to control my anxiety etc but now weirdly enough really concerned about getting addicted to these something I would never thought about in the past. Once bitten twice shy really anti getting reliant on another med so a positive out of this withdrawal! Many thanks for all the advice and support
    • Posted

Hi Dawn, yes going through the horrors of WD for one drug can make us recognise the danger of addiction to other drugs. Well done.  I am exactly the same but that knowledge can make us much more careful. The power is in our hands to take a medication appropriately or to abuse it so I, for one, try to be careful. However, in early WD it’s sometimes appropriate to take something for anxiety in the short term. You are doing great Dawn. Hang in there. JH

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.