Has anyone experienced MUA manipulation under anaesthetic?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I’m 7 weeks post TKR and I see the consultant tomorrow. My physio has measured me at 85 degrees so it’s on the borderline in UK for having MUA.  Apart from that have little pain but a lot of stiffness. Currently walking around home with no aids but use one only when out. Has anyone experienced MUA, manipulation under anaesthetic?  I’m a little worried this will be discussed so would like anyone’s experiences please so that I can get it clear in my head before I go for the appointment. Thanks in advance.

3 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sharon I took a long time to get my bend to 95 - at seven weeks it was nowhere near what yours is now.  I spent a lot of time worrying I would need to have a manipulation but my surgeon was happy when I saw him it was going in the right direction.  Healing takes a long time - keep up the exercises and everything should improve in time.  I'm nearly a year on now - still get some stiffness but very happy with my new knee.  Good luck. 😊

• Posted

Jane, thank you SO MUCH for your words, it is listening to people such as yourself on this site that have made me feel more confident in my recovery.  I will go into my consultation with every confidence that I CAN DO IT!  Thanks again. 
  • Posted

Sharon, l am 6 weeks post TkR and my ROM is 80. I refuse to have manipulation at this stage and shall go along with the advice l have had from this forum.

We all gain ROM at different rates so don’t compare. Be consistent with your exercises, keep on with your walking, ice and elevate when resting and above all, never give up. Best wishes. 

• Posted

Thanks for your words, I will definitely keep on listening to the people on this site, it has boosted my confidence immensely. Best Wishes for your recovery too.
  • Posted

So sorry but I have no knowledge about MUA . I know it is a procedure done if no enough movement in the knee,but no idea about. All I can suggest is to google if other patients that had it will not come with explanation. The best of luck!!
  • Posted

Hi I would say Please don't worry . . I am 5 months TKR and just reached 100 ROM

My Consultant explained that my Arthritic Knee WAS SO Stiff Recovering with TKR would be tough 😕

I had TKR 12 years ago with my other knee and had much better recovery so everyone and Knee is different

7 weeks is still early I would hold on to having a MUA keeping icing ICE Packs are the best ?

GOOD LUCK it Will Improve 😊

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate everyone’s positive outlook and I don’t think I could have coped with this process if it wasn’t for everyone’s support and hearing about all of your experiences. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,i had TKR in Feb this yr my bend stuck at 50 but my nxt appointment was cancelled to see surgeon so by time my nxt app came through i was offered MUA so got that done under anaesthetic July my bend just now only 80 but physio said slowly im getting there,im not in much pain and back at work full time think iv been wee bit unlucky with bend from day one if i reach 90 il be happy,but it is so early day's for you if it really comes to it and in time you need MUA in my experience got put to sleep dont feel a thing very quick procedure got it 18th July and back at work 5 weeks later it wasin't like getting op done all over again so try not to worry,good luck with everything.

• Posted

I'm in the same boat and am actually going under anesthesia this Tuesday for the manipulation. I'm 8 weeks out and can get to 90 degrees on my own.

Scared as hell because I've been told it's really painful. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your comment. Good luck with your MUA. Yes, please let me know, although my consultant has signed me off at 90 degrees and said to let him know if I had any problems to go back!  Strange how they all do different things. Best Wishes to you. 
    • Posted

How are you feeling now that some days have passed since your post? I had my manipulation done and I won't lie, it was pretty painful once the pain meds wore off from the procedure but it was a different type of pain. It was more like muscle pain, like when you've worked out for hours. I've got the bend now but it's still a lot of work because it feels like for every two steps forward, I go backwards one step. It's very frustrating because I'm an impatient person and just want this bending part too be done and be a able to start strengthening excercises. Please keep me posted as to how you are doing and healing. Hoping your not in a lot of pain and crossing my fingers you don't have to do the manipulation.

• Posted

Hi, good to hear from you. Sorry you’re suffering pain again. My bend seems to be edging 5 degrees at a time but I guess I’ll get there! I am now going to a physio privately so she will push me and give me more ideas on how to improve my bend, but it may still be that I have it done.  I am now managing to do strengthening exercises in the gym and have been swimming so don’t really want any set backs!  Unfortunately my husband is having his shoulder operated on in December so with Christmas looming I’ll put off until New Year at least.  I hope the pain goes for you soon. Best Wishes.
  • Posted

Hi Sharon

I’ve known one guy who had to have his knee regent due to the scar tissue growing around the knee because he didn’t do enough exercises , to be honest it’s painful , not as bad as the first but it will set you back . So here’s what I’ve done to get to 90 degrees rotation and now probably 95 deg and I’m up to day 12 after op.

Get a plastic shopping bag put it ive your foot and from behind grab the handles and slowly pull the bag with your foot in it back until it hurts hold it for 5 sec and then extend your leg out front as far as you can and hold it for 5 sec then repeat the action.

If you bend your good leg at 90 or 95 deg when you pull back your tkr foot you’ll have an idea how far back you’ve still got to travel.

For me as long as I got it to 90 deg once I knew then I was always going to get it to 90 degrees.

You’ve only got a teeny teeny bit to go, please preserver and try my plástic bag trick.

Let me know that you’ve done by tomorrow 

Good luck

• Posted

The slides weren’t the best thing for me in physio so they came up with other exercises for me, however I may try again as really want to get more bend. I seem to be constantly exercising, I’m going to the gym and swimming now too so it’s not for not trying!! Thanks for your comment. Best Wishes.
    • Posted

Perhaps your doing to much training and not resting between sessions so the swelling isn’t going down as it should.

It’s really a tricky balance 

I’m really hoping things work out for you soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.