My Anteria and Posteria Repair

Posted , 126 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

Prior to having my Anteria and Posteria Repair, mainly due to problems going for a poo, when to be frank it felt like I was trying to push the poo sideways out of my bottom, resulting in lots of pain and blood - making me very unhappy. After reading this and other forums, which I found very helpful (which is why I'm contributing now in the hopes that this helps others) I decided that although some people had not had a good experience it was worth the risk rather than putting up with the pain for the rest of my life (47 at the time).

On examining me the Dr found that I had significant bladder weakness too and he suggested that he could improve both - he did seem to focus on the bladder a little when I kept telling him it was my bum that was more of an issue - I digress a little as you know how dismissive doctors can be and how hard it is to stick up for yourself, especially in this area which not only affects you physically but psycologically as it impacts your sexuallity and self confidence too.

So I had the op in May 2013 and I recognise a lot of the other post-op entries on this forum but the main instructions were - 3 Golden Rules, number 1 - don't lift more than half a kettle for 6 weeks. Number 2 do pelvic floor exercises or it will all come back and need doing again. Number 3 make sure you stick to rule one and two.

I took 8 weeks off work (I have a desk job and a supportive employer) and followed the rules I, 2 and 3. Yes it was difficult and very frustrating also for the family to remember when you look fit and able but you can't bend to pick stuff up as it would pressure where you shouldn't have it.

It wasn't all plain sailing with pain and concern about stitches not disolving as quick as I hoped but I wanted to let you know that now (9 months on) I feel more confident, sexy and in control of my bodily functions. The Rectocele hasn't made things perfect but things are still improving even after so long so perhaps it will get even better but if not, its much much better than before.

Regarding the sex, thats better too and one thing I wanted to share - I noticed significant dryness for around 6 months, around the scar tissue but I', happy to say that this is also is improving.

Basically well worth having done and I would advise anyone to go for it. Prolaps issues should be taken much more seriously by GPs as it is embarassing to discuss and we deserve to feel 'Right' and everything that entails!!

27 likes, 278 replies

278 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hya im 3 days post op bladder prolapse was just wondering i have been coughing as gentle as i can but quite a bit of fluid came out is this normal for 3 days ? Xxxxx
  • Posted

Hi I know this is a old post but I was wondering if any of you ladies have had the same problem as me ? I am 6 days post op were I had a prolapse so had a anterior repair and also buttressing which is stitches in the bladder to hopefully help my overactive bladder. Well I came round from op and felt fine  I had catheter in in hospital which next day they took out so a few hours later went to go to the toilet and found I couldn't wee so was told this can happen and it's probably due to the swelling , so in the mean time I would have to self catheterise myself which is very hard to get used too. The worst thing is the feeling 24/7 that I need to wee I have urges practically all the time for the 1st 4 days and this is getting me down on last 2 days I have had a tiny amount of wee come out naturally and this is very pleasing as I'm hoping it will continue to get better ( I'm not a very patient person ) I am just trying to relax hoping it will help the urges as I know I have to rest, I'm not sure if all the pressure I feel when I feel I need to go is helping heal my prolapse repair although at the moment that all feels fine. Really hope someone has been in similar situation and has come out other end with positive results, thank you 😊
  • Posted

Hi I had my op 12 weeks ago and I was wandering did your body have a odour coming through you that only you could smell.It seems to happen at intermittent times. I have seen dr incase I had a infection but all clear on that. DR said I will just have to wait for it to go away. No one else has mentioned this in the conversations.
  • Posted

I was just wondering how long it took you to feel normal. I am 9nweeks post op for cystocele and rectocele. The 1st 2 weeks were to be expected. Felt almost normal week 3. Week 4 al.osteoporosis felt like I had prolapsed again. That resolved by week 5 when my menses started. Then I felt completely normal for 3 weeks. Now I have been having a combination of urgency which is kind of gone and pain in vulvar area for the last 3 weeks. Is this normal this far out?
    • Posted

I am in my 7th week and I'm very sore inside too . I feel very tiered in a Afternoon there's no way I could work yet ! I feel great untill I do too much bending then I feel like I have ripped something inside what about you x

• Posted

Hi I am going into my 7th week after Anteria & Posteria repair. Still getting back pain after doing bits of house work . Just started driving I feel tons better than I did but trying intercourse 😳😳it's so scary I'm so sore inside and it is still a little swollen and still as stitches in side . How long will this last please x

• Posted

Hi there,

I've had my anterior and posterior repaired 6 weeks ago!

Feeling so much more confident than before!

So happy with successfull recovery and my first stitch just came off today!

I feel like a girl again at my 50!

Friday is my first day back to work. Hope I can survive 8 hour shift in vertical position ( working in the pharmacy). 

Good to know that you're happy as well!

• Posted

Hi ladies

I'm so glad to have come across this blog, helps me understand things and I realise I'm not alone in the way I'm feeling or what I'm going through

I'm 4 weeks post anterior & posterior repair and also had a sling around my bladder.

I was sent home with catheter but dr removed it and now I'm still self catherising morning & night as my bladder doesn't want to empty

I've noticed no one has mentioned anything about having the sling stretched ( very painful) as my dr has done this three times to help my urine flow, it's getting better every time he does it.

I'm still in some degree of pain and discomfort and trying very hard not to overdo things, at the moment I feel I'll never return to "normal" but after reading this blog I've realized it's just going to take some time

• Posted

Was it performed by a Urogynaecologist with plenty of experience? Can't imagine why an expert in the field wouldn't tension it correctly when 1st placing it in there!

• Posted

My dr is a gynecologist and has performed this procedure many times and explained to me it's better to be tight and you can stretch it as if he put it too loose you can't tighten it, alls pretty good now thou, much better now that I'm 10 1/2 weeks post op

• Posted

Hi, I have been reading everyone's post over the last 3 weeks and wasn't sure the best way to join in. So here goes.

I am 4 weeks post op (laparoscopic ventral mesh sacro-colpo-rectopexy and rectocoele repair) and was feeling ok but I now feel pretty rubbish and wanted to talk to other ladies who have had this op. 

I have been increasing my walks and was feeling ok on 20 minutes but I went out yesterday and went too far and I started to feel uncomfortable, but I had to get back home and in the end it took me over 40 minutes. I have been in pain since and feel pretty miserable. Any advise anyone please?

• Posted

Hi Christina, maybe you should start a new discussion to get more advise, I'm not to sure that to many people are reading  this thread anymore. I think that you might be pushing yourself to much to soon, it's still early days you have to take it slowly and rest a lot. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hello Everyone,

I noticed something was wrong one day as I went to wipe and felt a big bulge like a ball and then took a mirror to see what was going on. I immediately panicked and googled everything under the sun and thought it was some sort of prolapse and discovered I was right. I talked with an ob and he said we could wait. I left his office upset because this is something I have to deal with daily and now the pain has become unbearable!! I don't have any insurance and wanted to turn to anyone of y'all to see how much surgery would cost. Thanks for all the post they make everything a little easier and make you not feel so alone.

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

When my prolapse happen I had just canceled my good expensive insurance and went with a temporary policy with high deductible. I had to live with a bulge for 3 months before surgery. I'm in the US. I wasn't in pain, just uncomfortable. My insurance did pay some. I paid ten thousand which was a lot to me. Really now that it is over, I could had waited until the beginning of year to get better insurance and saved some money. I had pecesary and it did help with some of the symptoms.

It really is an emotional thing to happen to our bodies. I will be glad when I'm no longer thinking about about those body parts. I'm 16 weeks out.

• Posted

My prolapse felt like a ball too protruding out of my vagina.I suffered for quite a few months with the discomfort and then was fitted with a pessary,then had to go back and get a bigger size.It's been about 3 months with this one,so far,so good.I can live with it the way it is right now.I have to use estrogen suppository twice a week to strengthen the vaginal walls and Flagyl cream,an antibacterial cream every third night.I'm not sure about the cream being used so often,but it's better than getting an infection because the pessary stays in there for 4 months,then i go back to the gynaechologist and he removes it,cleans it and puts it back in.I am 65,retired,glad I don't have to work with this problem.I'm glad I found this site,so many women have this problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.