Depressed

Posted , 16 users are following.

Keep busy as hard as it may seem, especially if you are in pain. I've been depressed since I've been in so much pain for about a month now. However been in pain for almost 3 mo. Everyday pain since surgery. Pain level 8. I refuse to let the pain win. I force my self to stay motivated no matter how much I hurt.. I can see why we get depressed for me my life has been taken away. I would never do replacement again. Huge mistake. I am worse than I was before..

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry you’re still hurting so much. Im at 3 weeks and not happy with thus pain either 
    • Posted

Comes and goes but just so tired of the ache and pain and swelling and trouble sleeping. I will be glad when I finally feel normal again 
  • Posted

So sorry you are in so much discomfort! Have you seen your doctor? I was still in pain at three months and have pain now occasionally at 9 mos. But it has steadily gotten better. Pain hits when I trip or do too much. It is annoying to have this but I am thinking if your pain level is 8 at 3 mos post op you should consult doc. Try to not get too down during this difficult time. It's important for all of us to remain strong and remember you are not alone. Wishing you all the best ??

• Posted

It seems endless but it isn’t. I am one of the long term recovery cases. It took me a full year to get anywhere near normal. I too had a lot of pain at 3 months post op. Keep at the exercises and ice it when necessary. It should start easing soon. It is a slow and sometimes back and forth process. I am at 14 months now and have been pain free for a few months. There is an end to the TKR suffering. Hang in there.
  • Posted

Hi, I had my tkr on April 12 and it’s June 1, I have pain so bad yet. This is my 2nd replacement, wasn’t like this the first time.  I have to go back to work next week. I’m depressed, in pain and scared. I have to support myself. I keep telling myself it’ll get better. I feel like you do, keep busy.
    • Posted

I’m sorry you’re still in pain. I hope it gets better soon 
    • Posted

Thank you. I’m just tired of not sleeping good due to pain. How are you?
    • Posted

Ok. Still having trouble sleeping. Turn tge wrong way and my knee feels like it’s breaking. Scary. Anyway, I am trying to stay positive and hope for the best. I pray you will heal quickly 
    • Posted

After reading over 4,000 posts, I've noticed that the vast majority of people doing #2 have a very different experience from #1.  Don't make comparisons; don't judge.  Screws with your head.  Deal with NOW.

• Posted

I’m 9 weeks post op and still getting pain when I do too much. As for sleep, well it’s just not happening as I can’t get comfy and then when I do the leg decides to get restless etc 😳😢

I had my other knee done 3 years ago and the pain was worse. What I can say is it took me approx 6/9 months to feel normal so I know there is light at the end of the tunnel. I’ve also had many many days and nights of tears. 

Stick in there and don’t be too hard on yourself. Maybe a wee call to dr for stronger pain relief too. Take care. Xxx

• Posted

I've had RLS for years.  After many drug tries, a simple 1 mg Xanax (Alprazolam) does the trick.  You do know, of course, that 9 weeks is insanely early in the process.  Listen to the knee.  Do too much and it swells.  Get a fit bit and track your steps.  You will know your limit...increase gradually.  Also, after reading over 4,000 posts, I've noticed that when people do #2 it's very many times a different experience from #1.  Forget all that past stuff...deal with the NOW...

• Posted

Hi Michelle, sorry you're in such pain & as Chico said it is quite common to suffer depression after TKR. But, although it doesn't seem like it, the pain will ease away eventually.

Don't suffer in silence though, see your GP, either get stronger pain relief or CBT for the depression (better than drugs!).  Not sure what the wait time is for CBT under the NHS (which is the only downfall), but then I don't know where you are in the world. Mindfulness training may help, but I do know from experience that Acupuncture is very very good at dealing with either acute or chronic pain, it may even help with the depression (I can only attest to pain relief from acupuncture & it will take several sessions to get full relief!).

We are all here for you meanwhile, please use us to vent if/when you need. 

I wish you well

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Sorry this has not worked for you.

Remind me when you had your knee replacement. It can tke anything up to a year before you really begin to feel the benefit.

I had TKR 6 years ago. It has been fine until November last year when I had a bad infection in the knee.

The consultant who replaced my knee was very worried and thought he might have to replace it again.

However he managed to avoid that but has put me on antibiotics for the rest of my life. I am 67 years old.

I have a friend who is a few years older than me. She needs a knee replacement but says there is only 50% chance of it working and is not willing to take that risk. People are so different.  You are completely right not to let pain win this game.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to read about your infection.  Did you have a fall or cut your replaced knee to get the infection?  Scary thought, that even after 6 yrs, an infection can happen.  You have me worried now😫.  Two and a half years post bilateral tkr’s, I’m going good.  Knees are good really, no pain just some stiffness sometimes.  Pity it’s not the same with my lower back.  Only since the op, it’s been really painful.  I’m told it’s my new gaite.  Sigh!  If it’s not one thing it’s the other lol.  

Ive been through the pain and sleepless nights, the depression and fatigue, the weird taste and smell that couldnt be explained.🤢 and wondering if I did the right thing, having them replaced but at this stage, I can say yes!!! so glad I went through with it.  Good luck with everything. 

Sue xx

• Posted

This is a strange story.

I had several urinary tract infections last year due to kidney stones which have now been removed.

So I had another urinary infection. After a few days the infection spread to the knee.

I woke up on Sunday morning and my knee was so swollen I literally could not bend it sufficiently to sit on the toilet!!! Why do these things always happen at a weekend?!!! So I had to ring the out of hours service and eventually a GP came to me and said I had to go into hospital.

After a few days when they had washed the knee out the consultant who had replaced my knee appeared at the end of my bed looking very worried. He said I had to be on intravenous antibiotics for the next 2 weeks no chance of going anywhere. Actually I was only in hospital for a week after that then a district nurse came and gave me my injections. The result of all this is that the consultant has now put me on flucloxacillin 4 times a day for the rest of my life. I saw one of his team last week thinking he was going to discharge me but he wants to see me again in 6 months time. He is certainly keeping an eye on me after this episode I can tell you and is not letting me go in a hurry. To be honest he did a really good job on my knee and I am very impressed with him.

If this ever happens again I will sit on my bed and DEMAND to see him, no one else will do!!!

After reading all this you'll be sorry you asked how it all started!!

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.