Constant forced belching, feeling of air stuck in chest/throat (Acid Reflux/GERD diagnosed).

Posted , 105 users are following.

Hi All,

This is my first time doing this so I want to try to be as detailed as possible, as I have gone through several doctors and am simply not satisfied with my current situation and honestly don't know what else to do.

It all started about one year ago when I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I couldn't breathe. I went to the ER after about 2 days I was having a hard time breathing, always feeling like I was short of breathe. He gave me a inhaler which did not help, then after a few days my symptoms went away and I had this feeling of air trapped in my chest/throat and I was constantly forcing myself to burp in order to relieve these symptoms. He referred me to a gastroenterologist, with whom essentially determined and diagnosed me with some gastritis and GERD/Acid reflux.

Tests I have done:

- upper endoscopy (showed some gastritis/inflammation and acid reflux)

- 2 stool tests to check for h. pylori and other bacterium (both negative)

- esphogeal manometry and (2) 24hour pH tests (one without nexium and second time after maxed on nexium, twice a day. showed I was swallowing a lot of air and had acid reflux)

- swallow test? forgot what it's called but I drank liquids and they saw how it went down through xray.

Nothing has helped. I was prescribed prilosec, nexium, etc with no relief. I still take 1 nexium a day now as when I stopped, the forced belching would bring acid up and burn my chest/throat.

My doctors are now trying to prescribe me Zoloft in order to "suppress" my brain and feeling these symptoms, but I am hesitant as I assume this would only mask the problem, even if it worked.

I just CANT GET THIS FEELING TO GO AWAY. I am constantly belching, my chest is extremely tight, etc. Is it anxiety? I don't feel anxious.

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED. PLEASE HELP... THANK YOU.

Tony

4 likes, 155 replies

155 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I also have the same exact feeling ... I been to alot of doctors and them telling me i had gerd gave me alot of hope because i was always thinking that i eas having a heart attack...didnt know at the time that gerd mimics a heart attact...Right now at this moment i feeling bad on the right side of chest area..it feels like im just full of air in my chest but it seem to go away for awhile after i pass gas or burp...i was referred to an cardiologist to have a camera put up my nose to go in my stomach and to go go an neurologist but i dont have any insure and the price is $347 without insurance so im having to fral with this without medicine until i can be able to get some insurance so kind of way so yes i do understand....All i can say is pray and ask god to heal the sickness... I do everyday.....
  • Posted

Hey I have similar symptoms. I was  diagnosed with acid reflux years ago. I have a constant center lower right chest pain that radiates back to my right shoulder. Feeling of food stuck on right side chest where the ache is. I am always burping and can feel the gas coming only from the right side. Anyone else have these symptoms? Never thought gas could cause shoulder pain 
  • Posted

Have you had any luck in getting over this? I am experiencing something very similar to this. Please let me know if you’ve found something that worked for you. 
  • Posted

Damn...I'm an 18 year old semi-fit male (by that I mean that I've started up sports again after a year of inactivity) with around the same symptoms (constantly burping to relieve some pressure, tightness in chest as if there was something blocking it, difficulty eating anything at all since my throat feels physically and mentally restricted, etc) but when I went to the doctor all they told me was that I had gastritis and that it'd go away. A month later and I'm not getting any better or worse but I'm causing my family and myself a lot of worry because of the lack of consumption and bad health in general.

It also seems I've developed anxiety due to this and when I get a panic attack or what not my heart rate just goes off sometimes ( go 150+ bpm sometimes which feels terrible since it makes my situation deteriorate overall)

• Posted

Hi. Has anyone figured out relief? I feel so depressed about this. I have this horrible feeling at the top of my stomach like I have to burp or throw up. Causing me to not want to eat. And even then I have the feeling. 
    • Posted

Hi, I've experienced the same symptoms for a couple of years now and they can really get you down. I went to the doctors and they prescribed antacids but they didn't work at all and seemed to make the burping worse. I read a few articles that said as we age our acid levels decrease which makes digesting food more difficult and this creates fermentation which in turn creates gas and there we go....burping. I now take digestive enzymes (amazon) before eating my main meal of the day and although I do get the burping now and again I can go weeks without a really bad episode. I also heard that Apple cider vinegar can help too. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

Which digestive enzymes did you purchase from amazon? I have the now brand but I can’t tell if they are helping any.

Thanks,

Chandra 

• Posted

Hi Chabdra, I use LIFEPLAN Digestive Enzymes. You can also buy them from Boots. I bought Holland and Barretts own brand but they didn't work as well so i tried the LIFE PLAN brand and they work really well, I think its because they have a higher amount of Betaine HCI (250mg), I used to take two with my evening meal but now I only need one. If I forget to take it the symptoms come back just before bed time.

Kathleen

• Posted

Hi tonyjyoo and everyone else on here, I too have been battling this, it's terrible!  I spent one night in the ER in November because I thought I was having a heart attack and I think I threw myself into a full panic attack.  Doctors say they didn't find nothing wrong with my heart (thank you Jesus) I won't go into detail but I've been dealing with this off and on since last summer.  I've been paying attention to what I eat, spicy foods, Tony Chacheres spice, Chili...I stay away from those foods.  Also, I eat slow, chew the food well.  Eat small meals.  Limit the alcohol.  The other day I wasn't paying attention, I guess I was feeling okay, and from 5:00 to 10:00, I had 3 glasses of wine, a cape cod and a full Japanese meal (with all the spicy sauce) wrong move for me!   I am just now recovering from that night.   I will see my cardiologist next week and my primary care in a few more weeks to get blood work checked.   If I find anything out, I will repost.  Try to relax, unplug from facebook, don't watch negative stuff on TV, I think stress has a lot to do with it.  If you feel like your getting stressed, make a change, don't let yourself go there.  I think stress triggered this whole mess for me back in the summer.   I prayed for you and everyone on this thread because I know how bad it is to suffer with this.  I hope one day, we can all look back on this as a memory.  I think of my parents, they are up in age, they suffered with different things throughout their lives and they always made it through only to be met with a whole new medical problem, but that's OKAY!!  What I'm trying to say is, we may be dealing with this now, but it's not forever!  You are not alone!  Blessings to you!   

• Posted

Hi Dorothy,

Thanks for the encouraging advice as I’ve had a really hard time being positive about this situation lately. I’ve had these horrible symptoms for a month now nonstop (pressure in breastbone and pain as well as in back) and it’s hard to believe that it will eventually go away and be a memory. I just don’t know how to even get to that point. The medicine isn’t working and I’ve barely eaten For a month and have lost a ton of weight but still feel like this day after day sad I pray that we all feel better soon. 

• Posted

Hi,

Do you also experience, something stuck in throat, even if you drink little water, i am having the urge to burp, but the burp will not get completed, then i need to voluntarily swallow air to burp, but will not feel satisfy, this will also make me panic.

• Posted

Yes for me.  Yesterday, I got up, took my blood pressure pills with a little water, about 30 minutes later I felt the lump in my throat and strain around my neck area.  
    • Posted

Any ideas dorothy is it related to anxiety or acid reflux.
    • Posted

I think it's related to both.  Going to see my cardiologist tomorrow, then getting blood work done and seeing my Primary Care Physician, in the next couple of weeks.  Some days I feel good, some days not so good.  I'll keep you posted. 

• Posted

Hi dorothy, did you met the cardiologist, any updates.
    • Posted

Yes, I went to see him.  He said he doesn't believe it's heart related but I will have an echo tomorrow.   I have been feeling better this past week, I'm still going to see my PCP next week to discuss my blood work and these symptoms I've been having. 

• Posted

Hi dorothy,

You got any updates regarding your blood work.

• Posted

Hi Vinod. Are you from India? I was diagnosed with GERD four months back. Been on meds ever since. I still have terrible sinus pain and feeling of something stuck in my throat. I constantly have to burp and swallow saliva.
    • Posted

Hello Ashley, I have the same symptoms minus the GERD......nothing seems to work so far!

Let me know if you hear any good news on how to fix this horrible problem since all doctors don't.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Tony. Are you getting pain at the top of your head and back of your head. I just went to an ENT. Got a CAT dcan of sinuses and all are normal. I have no clue what's wrong but it really hurts.

• Posted

Hi Ashley,

I too feel stuck in throat, but i don't feel pin, but when i drink even little water i find burping, doctor says it is acid reflux and sometimes i feel suffocate and i need to do manually breathe and check if something is wrong.

• Posted

Hi Ashley, do you feel breathing issues, feeling of not getting enough breathe through nose.
    • Posted

Currently I have no breathing issues. Pain around the nose.
    • Posted

No Ashley, just can't swallow whole foods. I'm trying out Papaya enzyme chewables to see if it helps.

all the best,

Tony in AZ.

• Posted

Hi, I'm feeling better these days.  I'm beginning to think these symptoms are from stress alone.  I find myself tensed up for no reason, I'm beginning to think the problem is due to the "tensing up" of my body.  It's been a long journey, I had numerous test on my heart, all came out fine (that relieved a little tension and worry) Went to my primary care, all blood work was fine (another relief).  She told me the panic attack I had in Nov. caused a little PTSD for me, she prescribed an anti anxiety med. (it totally messed me up, will never take that again).  My last test is a thyroid scan, but I have a feeling, that will be okay too.  So now, I'm trying to exercise, keep myself on low stress mode, don't worry about health problems (according to test, heart ok, blood work ok, if God takes me home, it simply must be my time) if I get around people or stressful situations, I walk away.  That's about it.  Some days the tightness and belching still comes up but it goes away by the next morning, and it's not near as bad as it was.  I think we all go through rough patches in our life and then things get better.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.