Constant, odd , 'cold' feeling in throat and roof of mouth...anyone else have this with reflux?

Posted , 189 users are following.

Hi all

For a long time now I have been experiencing the oddest sensation and I am not sure if it is to do with acid reflux. I have a very cold, almost 'minty' sensation in my mouth all the time. it feels like the sensation you have when you breath in after cleaning your teeth, or after sucking a strong mint. My throat and roof of mouth feels cold - not irritated - just cold and tingly.

I have had problems with reflux in the past and have been on proton pump inhibitors. I am not on a prescription at the moment. i have had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with acute gastritis about ten years ago. I often get heartburn and indigestion.

I have mentioned this top my GP who looks at me like I am mad and says he has never heard of it.

However, I am not imagining it, and wondered if this odd symptom was shared by anyone else with reflux.

I am a lady of a 'certain age' ....smile.....and I have read on the net that this odd sensory change could have something to do with hormonal changes at menopause. Just trying to rule everything out, so would be grateful for any input.

Thanks

8 likes, 273 replies

273 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi Lesley, I had a Dr appt today with the same symptoms as you thinking it was acid reflux. In telling Dr the symptoms, it was confusing to him. He is sending me for stool samples to determine if there is a bacteria in my stomach. He also prescribed Omerprazole 20mg to use for 14days & if no improvement he will send me the scope test.  I was wondering if you had a medical diagnosis regarding this. Please advise. Thanks, Joyce

• Posted

Hi Joyce my doctor put me on the same medication he has me take it just whenever I need it you don't have to take it everyday I find it it helps but like I told someone else now that I don't eat anything with grease or dairy I've gotten like 95% better so just a thought good luck I hope it works out

• Posted

I've been on acid reflux meds for a month and not helping. I've cut down on alcohol consumption but not helping either. Going to an ENT doc in a few weeks. This feeling taste sensation is making me crazy. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

• Posted

I've had the same since June. My dentist confirmed there is no mouth infection. My primary care doc had no idea (nor did my gyno or dermotologist...figured I'd run it by them while there! Heading to ENT right now. Will keep you posted. Oh, I had tried a reflux med which didn't work either! Sigh...

• Posted

Hi Chez,

Im going through the same exact thing. Did you find some relief?

• Posted

hello. did you find out what it is. I have the same cold symptoms?

• Posted

we're you able to find out what the problem is ?

• Posted

did you go to the ENT for you’re mouth? IM having the cold sensation in my mouth. I’m going to An ENT on July 26th. hopping she will have answers !

• Posted

I have been having the same feelings, it comes and goes. I looked it up about a year ago and I found nothing, I recently looked it up again and found this thread. How did your ENT appointment go if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

did it subside yet? Or did you get any answers? I am experiencing that now, cold teeth and mouth. I talked to my neurologist today and she was puzzled. I have had covid and experiencing long covid symptoms oh, so she thought well maybe that could be a side effect. but she didn't know for sure cuz who knows for sure what long-term side effects are covid are.

• Edited

Hi! I have been having a cool minty sensation in the back of my throat too. I dont believe I ever had covid. It feels like I smoked a pack of cigarettes but I am not a smoker. Does anyone else have a heavy feeling in the throat and chest? Has anyone had blood work done? Tested for toxins?

• Posted

YES! I've been experiencing the same thing too, exactly as you describe, and am also not a smoker and don't believe I ever had COVID. At times it feels like something slightly bitter is dripping from behind my ears into the back of my throat. But this menthol thing and the heaviness in the throat and chest is causing me no small amount of anxiety. It comes and goes. I am going to my primary care physician in six days and will tell him about it.

• Posted

I've had the same sensation for weeks now but this started happening after being exposed to pesticide. we sprayed under house and after a week I started getting the heartburn and reflux symptoms. the pesticide was odorless but in house it felt like cold air irritating my lungs, throat, eyes. I had to work out of the house and at end of day it's exactly what I told my boyfriend it felt like, that I smoked a pack of menthol cigarettes. Symptoms got better after leaving the house but now I keep getting recurring bouts of the sensation. Dr. also has me in omeprazole now and I have Endoscopy Monday followed by ultrasound. I'm still not back in house as the sensation is immediate and worse inside the house. I'm completely perplexed. Thought I was going crazy until I found these posts. I'll be sure to update if I find out anything new.

• Posted

yes i been having the same symptoms my chest get tight and heavy and i feel a cold feeling in my chest

• Posted

the ENT didn’t know. I’ve had this since January. it’s driving me nuts. i go to the dentist in two weeks. i will ask him!!

• Edited

mine started right after i had a molar extracted. still can't figure anything out.

• Posted

My symptoms started after having my right side upper molar removed

• Posted

I've had a deviated septum and just had surgery to repair it. It could be sinus related or septum related. I've had this since 2017 and I'm quite used to it. I find ice helps with any pain that occurs. probably because it brings swelling down. I hope you all feel better. Jesus Christ loves you.

• Posted

I posted a while back about my symptoms that i thought due to pesticide. 9 mos later I am still suffering with very bad flare ups..nasal sensation of cold dry air and minty sensation. I had two different ENT appointments recently. one dr. gave me antibiotics which didnt help. He referred me to another who immediately ruled out any type of reflux and suspects it is some type of olfactory dysfunction related to the trigeminal nerve. He didnt do any diagnostic tests but said he thinks the nerve has become sensitive and is overreacting. He gave me a nasal spray to try which didnt seem to help. next he may put me on a nerve medication to desensitize the nerve. Currently, when I have a bad flare up Ive been taking gaviscon extra strength sodium alginate which seems to immediately help for a little while. Ive also found chewing gum helps. If its really bad I have a saline nasal spray, or Ill use Ayr saline nasal gel, or just do a neti pot nasal lavage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.