Constant, odd , 'cold' feeling in throat and roof of mouth...anyone else have this with reflux?

Posted , 189 users are following.

Hi all

For a long time now I have been experiencing the oddest sensation and I am not sure if it is to do with acid reflux. I have a very cold, almost 'minty' sensation in my mouth all the time. it feels like the sensation you have when you breath in after cleaning your teeth, or after sucking a strong mint. My throat and roof of mouth feels cold - not irritated - just cold and tingly.

I have had problems with reflux in the past and have been on proton pump inhibitors. I am not on a prescription at the moment. i have had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with acute gastritis about ten years ago. I often get heartburn and indigestion.

I have mentioned this top my GP who looks at me like I am mad and says he has never heard of it.

However, I am not imagining it, and wondered if this odd symptom was shared by anyone else with reflux.

I am a lady of a 'certain age' ....smile.....and I have read on the net that this odd sensory change could have something to do with hormonal changes at menopause. Just trying to rule everything out, so would be grateful for any input.

Thanks

8 likes, 273 replies

273 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Wow, glad I found  you folks.  Have the same problem -- feel like someone put VICKS on my tongue!  50 yr old male with no acid reflux.  I cannot smell or taste hardly anything -- has anyone else experienced this?
    • Edited

Hi,

The same happened with me as I had a cold Vicks like sensation in my throat down till the trachea, and later after some while my sense of smell decreased and had some pain in my throat after the vicks feeling almost faded away. No doctor could tell what I had, they prescribed anti histamine at first but they did not work. Then after I started having an acid reflux and my throat symptoms remained the same, the ENT doctor made an esophagus endoscope and said that the reflux is mild and that I jad some calcifications in my throat and told me to gargle with salty water and clean my tongue with bicarbonate.

As for my sense of smell it s not the same as before and the ent dr said it s a mild congestion and i have to use a corticosteroid nasal spray.

After all, no doctor till now could interpret or diagnose the Vicks sensation i had !

• Edited

Thank you for describing it exactly the way I feel. it feels like I swallowed a box of Vickks cough drops. I did notice that if I stay away from dairy products for example milk butter and cheese it seems to not do it as much might be just a coincidence though I'm not really allergic to anything except tomatoes so if anybody has also had a little bit of vertigo in the ears feeling stuffed up. I don't have a cold I don't have any allergies but it feels like my head's completely stopped up could be a coincidence thanks for sharing hopefully somebody will come up with something someday

• Edited

I get vertigo too, usually around the same time frame as the cold feeling in my mouth. I think mine may be neurological, as I have SLE, but no one seems to be able to figure it out with me. But you're not alone because I get it too.

• Edited

I started a temporary strict diet which kind of worked for me (which minimised stomach acid a lot), where I eleminated also white dairy products including milk and yoghurt, raw vegs, coffee/tea shisha, and all heavy meals; and started takin herbal teas on a daily basis (Anise/chamomile etc) in addition to eating more fish (with little to no meat/chicken). It s now a lot better.

You mentioned vertigo which I also had before as well.

I wonder what the hell happened to me and still I cannot figure out, though a friend Dr of mine told me that it was all probably a mild reflux.

• Edited

Thank you for the great feedback. I have actually decided to try a vegetarian diet and I'm going to keep a journal to see what works and what doesn't. I'm going to see my ENT on Friday next week for the vertigo and I have another symptom of tightness around the scalp with a burning sensation at the top of my head so I don't know what the hell's going on either I'll keep you up-to-date I'll let you know if I find out anything if we get rid of all this yummy stuff out of our diet it's going to be kind of boring but it's worth trying I suppose have a good day

• Posted

I had the burning and tightness of the scalp too a few years back, but I assumed it was from allergies that had developed because of my lupus. Now I'm wondering if all of these symptoms were connected to something else. i have gotten the minty mouth/throat/nasal passages again recently, but I haven't noticed anything going on with my scalp. I did experience some vertigo in the past week as well. and heart palpitations.

• Posted

Hi! I have the same symptoms I have also pain in my diaphgram ....sometimes I get overload with histamine from food and have kind of allergy symptoms.

Reading here and there I thought that I might get my vagal nerve checked since it regulates a lot in that area and get get inflamed. The vertigo for me is like being on a boat and moving towards one side... of course doctors most of the times think Inam crazy, I would love to make them feel all of this 😄

• Posted

this is me too. not so much vertigo but dizziness slightly. mexlazine helps slightly but not completely 😒

• Posted

😦 Do you think operating the hiatal hernia would help? my doctor doesn't believe in it but I would do anything to feel normal again

• Posted

hello hello as far as operating on a hiatal hernia my doctor wants mentioned that I have one and that sometimes that can relieve it so I'm not saying you should or you shouldn't but I have heard and read did it can cause indigestion acid reflux symptoms so it might be something that you want to look into I don't think it's a totally crazy idea my hiatal hernia is only like 4 cm so I don't want to do anything at the moment but who knows maybe in the future I'll look into that let me know how you're doing

• Posted

hi! yes I would def ask for different opinions. I would consider it if it could bring me quality of life. I alteady have GERD 😦

at the moment my life is really unlivable , I don't know if it's a flare up or what went wrong, but it got worse all the sudden and I hate to live like this.thank you for the heads up though

• Posted

what you describe has been reported as symptoms of covid 19. especially the loss of sense of taste and smell.

• Posted

I am! Exact same thing

Had an infected right upper molar extracted 12/29/21 still have no taste or smell and cold sensation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.