Constant, odd , 'cold' feeling in throat and roof of mouth...anyone else have this with reflux?

Posted , 189 users are following.

Hi all

For a long time now I have been experiencing the oddest sensation and I am not sure if it is to do with acid reflux. I have a very cold, almost 'minty' sensation in my mouth all the time. it feels like the sensation you have when you breath in after cleaning your teeth, or after sucking a strong mint. My throat and roof of mouth feels cold - not irritated - just cold and tingly.

I have had problems with reflux in the past and have been on proton pump inhibitors. I am not on a prescription at the moment. i have had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with acute gastritis about ten years ago. I often get heartburn and indigestion.

I have mentioned this top my GP who looks at me like I am mad and says he has never heard of it.

However, I am not imagining it, and wondered if this odd symptom was shared by anyone else with reflux.

I am a lady of a 'certain age' ....smile.....and I have read on the net that this odd sensory change could have something to do with hormonal changes at menopause. Just trying to rule everything out, so would be grateful for any input.

Thanks

8 likes, 273 replies

273 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi! I’m experiencing this too. I haven’t changed anything regarding my diet or anything else really that I can think of ... also I’m a 16 year old female and have had no history of reflux or anything? This is very confusing ahaha
    • Edited

me too im 16 and having the same issue at the moment and i need to sleep for school so its really bothering

• Edited

5 years later and I'm wondering if anyone has figured this out. Does anyone take Claritin D regularly? I'm also using invisialign. Just trying to think of things that may cause the cool sensation on roof of mouth. I'm now getting a pain there too.

• Edited

Yes, I tried Claritin and antihistimines for awhile. Did nothing for it.

• Edited

im not sure if ive got the same thing as everyone else here but its clear none of us can seem to describe it properly. Mine never just came along and i'll take a guess of ive had it for 1-2 years (16 right now). ill get it once or twice every week but they last for 20mins. is this at all similar?

• Posted

I've been getting it for about 6 months now, my guts are sensitive maybe it is stemming from that. I also get electric shocks why falling asleep sometimes hits like lightning and I'll either jumps pretty much off the mattress or it feels like I'm being slammed down through my bed and I have to try as hard as I can to get out of it, I get some sleep paralisys with it. freak me out. Anyways there doesn't seem to be any definite answers on either. I'm gonna try a detox and flush my body out see if that helps. our sky's are getting really hazy, there's constant haze when i look to wards the mountains and it seems to be getting worse every year. Especially this year. have gotten a cold 4 times in the last 5 months which last 3 weeks. Probably from all the planes in the sky leaving all that nasty stuff behind them. I'd be curious to know if any of your suffer from the same sleep issues. The sleep thing for me only lasts a few nights than I won't get it for a month, and sometime I will get it just sitting around watching tv. Any one else gone to about our extra fresh breathe?

• Posted

Ive been getting the same thing in the past few months. Im not sure if any of you experience any other neeve issues but if you do maybe that might be causing it. I got a lot of things going on and its got me pretty mentally on edge.
  • Edited

Hey peeps, Crazy how u can find pretty much anything on the internet!! Glad I'm not alone in feeling this unusual sensation.. I really can't understand what it could be I be, I don't suffer acid reflux. I'm 27 n male btw so it's definitely not gender bias.. i haven't consulted a GP as of yet.. but anyways this may seem silly but I drink a lot of herbal peppermint tea, is this something we all have common ? Just a thought ??

• Posted

Got the same thing right now!!  Wondering myself what the heck this is.  I have been having very active acid reflux (for the first time), going on almost three weeks now.  Getting scoped thursday!!!  Did you ever discover what that sensation is?  I am also perimenopausal.  
    • Posted

it could be COVID 19 in the esaphagas or it could be silent reflux from SBio or candidias over growth in the small bowels causing a backup of food and acid into your throat.

• Edited

Do any of you find that this sensation tends to happen when standing/sitting up straight and looking upwards at something, and that it disappears when slouching and looking down?
    • Posted

Hi Jake, the sensation does not fully go away when slouching and looking down but it is not as bad.

I have also been having upper back pain, may be possible a pinched nerve?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.