constant pain under the ribs (on the right side ..in the back)

Posted , 236 users are following.

I am experiencing this pain under my ribs, on the right side and more towards my back than in the front..for about three months now and I have to take Ibuprofen almost every day

This pain is just annoying as its not as bad to prevent me from moving or do stuff, but it is very upsetting to have to endure it every day.

I am 29 years old (woman).

I went to the doctor first in February when he tested my blood. The result came back normal (he said he tested for infections). After that I went again and he gave me an X-ray in my abdominal area..well that one came back normal too.

Now, last week (30th of May) he said he would send me through the post a form or something like that.. to go with it and have an ultrasound. I waited now a week and I cant wait to receive it already as I want to see if they will see something at the Echo scan.

I would have wanted the ultrasound taken first if you ask me..as I suspect it might be something like a kidney stone..or something like that..?

I only have this pain in my back, somewhere under my ribs (and on the right side), only when I stand.

I feel better when sitting down or lying. I am thankful for that at least..I suppose it could be worse ..so I get some break from this.

The doctor as I see him is clueless and he said that if we don't find anything after all these tests..he might just blame it on a muscle that was pulled or something..

I mean..this is ridiculous as basically it would be just a guess..even leaving it like that..

what if in time it affects me more with some other consequences?

I am very concerned already and tired with this pain.

Please I would like to know your opinions about this.

I must add that I have no other symptoms..no swellings or other problems. Just this pain every day and is constant and annoying and I just want to know what it is already to treat it and get over with my life.

32 likes, 305 replies

305 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have your Dr. Check you for a UPJ obstruction of the kidney  or enlarged kidney  ....I have this and my pain is the same not in the back flank like most ...many Dr's don't find it ...talk to a urologist about checking your kidneys ...Hope you find the source of your pain ...

Best Dana

• Posted

No he didnt checked for that as far as I know. Now I am interested to know that. Although, how would I do that without upseting the Dr would suggesting him what he has to do?

I suggested once in the past, and a lady Dr got upset..a bit..by patronising me..and saying that in the UK, Dr`s decide what tests to give to patience, unlike other countries..(I am not a British citizen.. ).

I must say that it really annoyed me and now, I amconcerned that this Dr mught take offence if I make an appointment to just suggest him what to do biggrin

How would I manage this I wonder, without bothering their ego?

As mortals, have some knowledge and a brain as well..to think for ourselves, but Dr`s seem to foget that..maybe.

Best to you too Dana

• Posted

i have the exact symptoms I had ultrasound for kidneys, gall stones they check liver, spleen and no abdominal aorta problems  and found nothing.  Still have pain and indigestion w/ burping a lot.? Dr also said it's probably muscle. Sounds strange to me.  I have it about 3 weeks. It's not changed at all. I don't remember doing anything to cause the strain in my side and back. Any suggestions?
    • Posted

H.Pylori. It's a simple blood test. I suffered with exactly what you are describing. It continued to get worse until I was barely able to eat. The treatment is simple but the recovery is long. However, it's the indigestion and burping that is the key symptom here.
    • Posted

You should get tested for H Pylori stomache bacteria. They can take blood or take a breath test. They give you several different kinds of antibiotics and omeperazole antacid pills for two weeks. I had a hard abdomen with excruciating pain. It felt like my ribs would break, weight gain, bloating, diarrhea, headaches with stabbing pain in head, dizziness, cloudiness of mind. The medicine works wonders. Unfortunately once you've had it it usually comes back. I think it lies dormant until the next attack. I've had it numerous times.

• Posted

I am 39 years old woman, I do have exactly the same pain and simptoms.  It started after I run a few miles this weekend and I got realy tired.
    • Posted

I am going through the same thing. I'm 38 and been in pain for 3 weeks. ct's, ultrasound, and xrays but no explaination can be found. I just want it to go away!have you had any relief? how?
  • Posted

I have also been to dr for same symptoms and was given the same diagnosis sad  But this past June I had a laperoscopy for endometriosis (3rd lap) and ended up having to have my left ovary removed.   But have mostly experierenced pain on my right side sad  So i'm wondering if it's just the endo that has come back ? ? ?
  • Posted

I would like to add that i too am having problems with the pain coming from the underside of the right rib cage and moves to my mid back also at times i would experience pinching sensations. just recently ive had to start sleep on my right side or back because sleeping on my left makes it worse. I have wasted a lot of money on ultrasound, xray, blood work, exercise, pills for acid reflux..... nothing has fixed nor made it better. 

If anybody has the secret ingredient would be nice.

• Posted

I am going through the same thing. I'm 38 and been in pain for 3 weeks. ct's, ultrasound, and xrays but no explaination can be found. I just want it to go away!

have you had any relief? how?

• Posted

I have almost identical symptoms!  I am 41 and have a dull pain in my right side which sometimes feels as though it is also around the right of my back.  My Doctor also dismisses anything serious and says it must be a muscular problem that probably happened in the night whilst I was sleeping! (Seemed like straw grasping but ok!)  I have had blood tests for kidney function but no scans as yet - I will insist on them in another week if the pain stays.  I cannot say that it's so painful that I can't concentrate, it's just that it's always there and has been for the last couple of weeks and is getting a bit demoralising. Looking at these threads, it seems as though it might be here to stay for a while :-(  Does anyone have any ideas on how to minimise or relieve the pain/ache?

• Posted

Just wondering if you have ever found pit what is going on with your pain? I have the same symptoms as you. Although the pain is on the right side, more toward back, up under the rib, it makes it worse if I lay on my left side. Feels like something is pushing, on something. I had the pain 2 years ago for several months, it disappeared and now has been back for a few weeks. Any info is appreciated. ..
    • Posted

Greetings all,

Am currently being treated for very similar symptoms.  Went to a GP, a chiropractor, and am now attending an excellent physiotherapist and a massage therapist.  Turns out there is a muscle at the most inner part of the abdomen that is often thought of as a back muscle but it isn't.  Do get some massage treatment and go see a physiotherapist for some appropriate exercises to help address this issue.

The quadratus lumborum, or QL, is a common source of lower back pain. Because the QL connects the pelvis to the spine and is therefore capable of extending the lower back when contracting bilaterally, the two QLs pick up the slack, as it were, when the lower fibers of the erector spinae are weak or inhibited (as they often are in the case of habitual seated computer use and/or the use of a lower back support in a chair). Given their comparable mechanical disadvantage, constant contraction while seated can overuse the QLs, resulting in muscle fatigue.  A constantly contracted QL, like any other muscle, will experience decreased blood flow, and, in time, adhesions in the muscle and fascia may develop, the end point of which is muscle spasm.

• Posted

I have had nearly for a week now, what many on this blog seem to have.  I had bronchitis or bronchial pneumonia for about 3 weeks, but my coughing was almost gone, and then i got the upper rib back pain!    I thought it was delayed pain from bruized or fractured ribs from all the coughing, but that seems weird.  About 1 1/2 weeks ago i stopped my no refined sugar health diet i had been on for 7 weeks, and am thinking that may have caused this inflammation.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?  I was so depressed at getting so terribly sick even though i was getting healthier without all the refined sugar, i ate some candy from the frig i had forgotten about and kept eating sugar.  I don't drink coffee, alcohol, or smoke, but have had touches of osteoarthritis (some people call this fibromyalgia).  My doctor says this is a made-up disorder, as most of the joint and other pains are simple inflammation caused by sugar.  Refined sugar does these things:  causes inflammation (osteoarthritis and a myriad of other inflammatory diseases), feeds cancer cells (not normal cells), causes diabetes, causes high bad cholesterol.  All the fats and eggs and other things blamed for all the diseases and suffering are not the cause at all.  It is the refined sugar and white starch diet of most western cultures causing all the mayhem. Then the toxic drugs used to treat this does further harm to people.  Now i am preparing to go back on my non refined sugar and starch diet and see if it solves this terrible upper back rib pain which is getting slowly worse every day.  Horrible!
    • Posted

I am 56 am having same problems, so bad that I have very loose bowels as soon as I eat, shooting pain at bottom of my right side under my rib, also makes me sick at my stomach, loose my balance too, and migran heaachs, my chiroprator did ex-rays 3 months ago and showed narrowing of my spine, spurs, arthueritis and ruptured disc, think it time for me see if I can get disability, be fittig this for 30 years
    • Posted

I also have tingling of my feet toes and fngers, and my eye sight is effected
    • Posted

Look into dystomnia. POTS specifically. Passing out. pain,.numbess, vision issues and also gi...pots affects so much. I spent 6 years in and out of week long hospital stays with no answers. Finally this past fall received a diagnosis from amazing Doc in Cleveland Ohio (Dr Robert wilson). Slowly I am.regaining strength. One in 8 women develop pots and average time to diagnosis is.aboit 6 years. We need more awareness
    • Posted

Hello gerryp.....want to know about the region of pain you were suffering. Actually am also suffering from the same problem yet not diagnosed by Dr. for what reason it is. Is the pain you suffering from was in the lower back region which got transmitted to abdomen of that side and also in groin region of the same side..... am having these symptoms. some time there is pain in leg also ....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.